    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 13, 2002

      MONDAY 14 October 2002

      Feast of St. Pope Callistus I

      • Papal Address in Presence of Patriarch Teoctist of Romania
      • Pope and Romanian Orthodox Patriarch Sign Joint Declaration
      • Starts and Stops Along the Path Toward Unity
      • Still Much to Glean from Vatican II, Says Rector
      • On 40th Anniversary of Vatican II, Journalists Recall Their Role
      • Child Malnutrition Targeted by Church in Mexico
      • Rise in Abortion Rate Among U.S. Poor Raises a Warning
      • Attacks on Schools Fail to Deter Church in Nepal
      • HOW TO POST A QUESTION TO THE CATHOLIC REFERENCE DESK AND
      HOW TO SUBMIT AN ARTICLE FOR PUBLICATION
      • EUCHARISTIC PRAYER IN HONOR OF THE SORROWFUL HEART OF
      MARY

      Papal Address in Presence of Patriarch Teoctist of Romania

      At Mass in St. Peter's Basilica

      VATICAN CITY, OCT. 13, 2002 (Zenit.org).- Here is a translation of the
      address John Paul II gave today before the recitation of the midday Angelus,
      at the end of the Mass in St. Peter's Basilica. The Mass marked the conclusion of Romanian Orthodox Patriarch Teoctist's visit.

      Dear Brothers and Sisters!

      1. I have had the joy these days to receive His Beatitude Teoctist, patriarch of the Orthodox Church of Romania. My heartfelt thanks again to him and to all those who have accompanied him for this most appreciated visit. It has reminded me of what God allowed me to experience in Bucharest in May 1999. A sincere desire for unity arose from those meetings. "Unitate," I heard the young people of Bucharest proclaim. "Unity!" I heard repeated last Monday in St. Peter's Square, in my first meeting with His Beatitude.

      This thirst for full communion among Christians has received remarkable
      impetus since the Second Vatican Council, which dedicated one of its most
      significant documents, the decree "Unitatis Redintegratio," specifically to ecumenism.

      Two days ago marked the 40th anniversary of the opening of that historic
      meeting, called on Oct. 11, 1962, by Pope John XXIII, whom we now venerate as Blessed. I was also given the grace to participate, and I keep precious and unforgettable memories in my spirit.

      In his opening address, full of hope and faith, Pope John exhorted the council
      Fathers to remain, on the one hand, faithful to the Catholic tradition and, on the other, to present it again in a manner adapted to our times. In a certain sense, the 11th of October forty years ago marked the solemn and universal beginning of what is called the "new evangelization."

      3. The council was, so to speak, the "holy door" of that new spring of the Church that was manifested in the Great Jubilee of the year 2000. Because of this, with the apostolic letter "Novo Millennio Ineunte" I have asked the ecclesial community to take in their hands again the council documents, which do not lose their value or brilliance. They must be known and assimilated as "important and normative texts of the magisterium, within the Church's Tradition" (see No. 57). This is why, on the occasion of the Jubilee Day of the Lay Apostolate, I handed these documents symbolically to the new generations.

      May the Virgin Mary, Mother of God and of the Church, help us to understand that in the council we have all been offered a compass to guide us in the path of the century that is beginning.

      * * *

      Pope and Romanian Orthodox Patriarch Sign Joint Declaration

      Evangelization Can't Be Based on Competition, Says Document

      VATICAN CITY, OCT. 13, 2002 (Zenit.org).- John Paul II and Romanian Patriarch Teoctist united in a symbolic embrace and signed a Joint Declaration in which the Orthodox and Catholics Churches commit themselves to seek unity.

      The meeting between the two religious leaders, which took place Saturday in the Pope's private study, was one of the most important moments of the weeklong visit of the Romanian religious leader to Rome. His visit was in gratitude for John Paul II's trip to Bucharest in May 1999, the first time a Pope set foot on Orthodox soil.

      "Our meeting must be considered as an example: Brothers must meet again
      to make peace, to reflect together, to discover the way to reach agreements, to
      expose and explain one another's reasons," the Joint Declaration reads.

      The document touches upon issues such as Catholics' proclamation of the
      Gospel in Orthodox lands -- a practice the Moscow Orthodox Patriarchate
      opposes as "proselytism."

      "We are in agreement in recognizing the religious and cultural tradition of all
      peoples, as well as religious freedom," the document continues.
      "Evangelization cannot be based in a spirit of competition, but on reciprocal
      respect and cooperation, which recognizes the freedom of each one to live
      according to his/her own convictions, in respect of his/her own religious affiliation."

      The Pope and the patriarch affirmed that Christian witness will be much more credible, especially in Europe, if it is offered in unity.

      In his address to the patriarch before signing the declaration, John Paul II responded to the accusations of "proselytism."

      The Pope acknowledged the mission that the Orthodox Churches "are called
      to undertake in the countries in which they have been rooted for centuries" and, at the same time, he clarified that the Catholic Church "wishes only to help and collaborate in this mission," carrying out "its pastoral task with its
      faithful and with those who freely come to her."

      Eventual misunderstandings can be addressed through a "fraternal and frank dialogue," John Paul II said.

      In this connection, the Holy Father proposed the establishment of a "solid institutional structure" that will serve "for communication and regular and reciprocal exchange of information" between the Catholic Church and the
      Orthodox Churches.

      The Mixed International Commission for Theological Dialogue Between the
      Catholic Church and the Orthodox Churches ended its last meeting in
      Baltimore, Maryland, in 2000 without final agreements.

      In his address, the head of the Romanian Orthodox Church recalled the
      difficulties his Church experienced until the end of "atheist totalitarianism" and criticized the "competition" that is evident at times "in relations between=
      Christians," which has caused "disappointment" and "mistrust."

      However, Patriarch Teoctist confirmed his Church's determination to work
      assiduously for "the unity of the Church," as demonstrated by promising plans for dialogue, which have developed in his country.

      * * *

      Starts and Stops Along the Path Toward Unity

      Orthodox and Catholics Have Made Progress Since Vatican II

      VATICAN CITY, OCT. 13, 2002 (Zenit.org).- Dialogue aimed at bringing about full unity between Orthodox and Catholics took shape with the establishment of a special commission in 1979.

      The Mixed International Commission for Theological Dialogue Between the
      Catholic Church and the Orthodox Churches was set up by Pope John Paul II
      and Orthodox Patriarch Demetrios I of Constantinople.

      But the most important step in Catholic-Orthodox rapprochement took place in
      1965, at the close of the Second Vatican Council.

      That's when Pope Paul VI and Patriarch Athenagoras I of Constantinople
      lifted the mutual excommunications decreed in 1054 by Pope Leo IX and
      Patriarch Michael Cerularius of Constantinople, which gave rise to the
      schism.

      The Catholic-Orthodox commission began its work in 1980. To date it has
      written five documents, three of which touch upon the question of Eastern-rite
      Catholics (pejoratively referred to by some as "Uniates") who obey the Pope but maintain their Eastern liturgy and customs, like the Orthodox.

      A commission meeting in Balamand, Lebanon, in 1993 was attended by
      representatives of 10 Orthodox Churches, among others. The Russian
      Orthodox Church signed the document but later rejected it, Vatican Radio
      reported today.

      During the commission's eighth meeting, held in Baltimore, Maryland, in July
      2000, the dialogue was stymied precisely over the question of Eastern-rite Catholics.

      The meeting, which was presided over by Cardinal Edward Cassidy, the then
      president of the Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity, and
      Archbishop Stylianos of Australia, on behalf of the Patriarchate of
      Constantinople, concluded without agreement on a joint theological
      document, something that had occurred at Balamand.

      During the debate, Christians obedient to the Pope explained that Eastern-rite
      Catholics are a "bridge" between Catholics and Orthodox. But some Orthodox regard them as an insurmountable ecclesiological obstacle.

      Eastern-rite Catholics in Eastern Europe had suffered persecution under the Communists, who tried to force them to join the Orthodox.

      Another issue in Baltimore that stalled progress in dialogue was the question
      of the Pope's authority, in particular, the dogmas of papal primacy and
      infallibility.

      In No. 96 of his encyclical on ecumenical dialogue, "Ut Unum Sint," John Paul
      II invited "Church leaders and their theologians to engage with me in a patient
      and fraternal dialogue on this subject [papal primacy], a dialogue in which,
      leaving useless controversies behind, we could listen to one another, keeping
      before us only the will of Christ for his Church and allowing ourselves to be deeply moved by his plea 'that they may all be one ... so that the world may believe that you have sent me' (John 17:21)."

      * * *

      Still Much to Glean from Vatican II, Says Rector

      Bishop Fisichella Views the Council, 40 Years on

      ROME, OCT. 13, 2002 (Zenit.org).- The effects of the Second Vatican Council are still sinking in, 40 years after the historic event began, says a university rector in Rome.

      The council still has "much to say," according to Bishop Rino Fisichella, rector of the Lateran University. Forty years are not enough "for its application and, therefore, there is still a long way to go in the reception of the council," he added.

      The Lateran held a congress last week to mark the anniversary of the Oct. 11, 1963, opening of Vatican II.

      In an interview with Vatican Radio today, Bishop Fisichella spoke about the council and its teachings.

      "Today we are able to understand the sources much better, to study with
      greater consistency the documents that resulted beyond the immediate
      interpretations that were given in the period immediately following the
      council," he said.

      "Hence, we can have a view of the documents and of the council as an event in a much more global and consistent reading," the rector said.

      The international congress at the Lateran concluded that Vatican II is "a
      council that must still be received," Bishop Fisichella said.

      And it's too early to call a new council, he said. "If we reckon that 90 years
      passed between Vatican I and Vatican II, we realize that we still have to study
      and evaluate much more what Vatican II was."

      * * *

      On 40th Anniversary of Vatican II, Journalists Recall Their Role

      Press Had a Key Part in Perceptions of the Council

      ROME, OCT. 13, 2002 (Zenit.org).- Journalists covering the Second Vatican
      Council had to struggle sometimes to get information and to transmit it
      properly, says a media professional.

      Indeed, in not a few instances reporters acted like "detectives," said Giancarlo
      Zizola, who followed the council from the first to the last day.

      Zizola's reminiscences were among the highlights of a meeting of historians and media professionals, held at the Foreign Press Association here Friday, to discuss the role of journalists at Vatican II.

      The meeting was in celebration of the 40th anniversary of the solemn opening
      of the historic council.

      Vatican II was also the first time a conciliar debate reached the public through the media, not through the classic ecclesiastical channels, Zizola recalled=.

      Andrea Riccardi, historian and founder of the Community of Sant'Egidio, also emphasized the importance of the press in coverage of Vatican II.

      Riccardi explained how "since Vatican Council II the Church no longer
      'monologues' but 'dialogues,'" and he emphasized how "the council prepared the Catholic Church for the present globalized and interreligious world."

      He also referred to the convocation of the council by Pope John XXIII and the fears that arose because of the lack of a concrete program. This latter fact was
      misinterpreted by some sectors, which failed to understand the Holy Father's
      objective, Riccardi said.

      Nevertheless, journalists met every afternoon with one or another of the council Fathers and took notes, which were the basis of most international press agencies' articles the following day, Zizola explained.

      Moreover, theologians participating in the council, such as Yves Congar and Marie-Dominique Chenu, were also sources of information for reporters. They and other council Fathers met with journalists for dinner to discuss the day's proceedings.

      Ettore Berbabei, television producer and former director general of RAI, the
      Italian state television, recalled the trip he made to Moscow in which he
      succeeded in persuading the Moscow Patriarchate to participate in the
      council.

      Berbabei called it an example of how earnest professional communicators
      could also promote good ecumenical relations.

      * * *

      Child Malnutrition Targeted by Church in Mexico

      Campaign Aims to Create a "Culture of Solidarity"

      MEXICO CITY, OCT. 13, 2002 (Zenit.org).- The Mexican Catholic bishops'
      conference has initiated its first Solidarity Campaign to sensitize the public
      about supporting the poorest and most outcast, especially children.

      Fifty-five dioceses took part in the recent launching of the campaign. Local
      and national media are also participating in the project, which ends Nov. 24.

      The 2002 Solidarity Campaign, started through the bishops' Commission for
      Social Pastoral Care, focuses on "Hunger and Malnutrition of Poor Children."

      "In no way does the Church believe that this campaign will resolve the serious
      problems of child hunger and malnutrition," Monsignor Abelardo Alvarado,
      secretary-general of the bishops' conference, said during a press conference.

      "However, it considers urgent the need to move the conscience of men and
      women who, in following Jesus, will engage in horizontal lines of help without
      promoting attitudes of dependence, but of mutual assistance," he said.

      The episcopate made an appeal for solidarity not only in times of emergency but in a permanent way, "because child poverty, hunger, malnutrition are wounds in our society that call for a frontal attack on the part of all Mexicans,"
      Monsignor Alvarado affirmed.

      The executive secretary of the Commission for Social Pastoral Care, Father José Antonio Sandoval Tajonar, said: "What we wish is to create a culture of solidarity -- to move from the solidarity expressed in critical times to a culture of solidarity, where one's brother is always kept in mind."

      * * *

      Rise in Abortion Rate Among U.S. Poor Raises a Warning

      More Support Needed, Says Bishops' Spokeswoman

      WASHINGTON, D.C., OCT. 13, 2002 (Zenit.org).- The rise in the abortion rate among low-income women means that unwed mothers need financial and emotional support -- not more contraceptives, says a U.S. bishops' spokeswoman.

      Cathy Cleaver, director of planning and information for the bishops' Pro-Life
      Secretariat, was commenting on a report by the Alan Guttmacher Institute that
      showed a sharp decline in the nation's abortion rate.

      The report released last week by the Planned Parenthood affiliate noted an 11% drop in the abortion rate in the latter 1990s, from 24 abortions per 1,000
      women in 1994, to 21 abortions per 1,000 women in 2000.

      "We can only hope," Cleaver said, "that the decline reflects a growing national
      trend away from the culture of death epitomized by legalized abortion, and toward a culture that welcomes every human life and respects the dignity of all women."

      Yet, the Guttmacher report also noted a marked increase in the rate of
      abortions for lower income women. Cleaver challenged those who blamed
      this increase on a lack of access to contraceptives.

      "Contraceptives have never been so widely available as they are today," she said. "It makes no sense to cite lack of access as a reason for the rise in abortion among lower-income women."

      "Rather than speculate," she added, "one might look to the Alan Guttmacher Institute's own reports about the main reasons women turn to abortion -- 21% cite financial reasons."

      "Women facing an unintended pregnancy want financial and emotional
      support; it is likely that lower income women feel this lack of support even
      more acutely," Cleaver said. "What these numbers tell us is that we must
      redouble our efforts to provide resources and support to those women most in need."

      Meanwhile, Cardinal Anthony Bevilacqua has urged members of the U.S.
      Senate to support the Abortion Non-Discrimination Act, warning of "a growing
      nationwide effort to attack the conscience rights of Catholic and other health care providers."

      The House of Representatives approved the act Sept. 25. The legislation is endorsed by many pro-life, religious and medical organizations, and President George W. Bush promised to sign it if it passes Congress.

      "Passage of S. 2008 is urgently needed," said Cardinal Bevilacqua, chairman of the bishops' Committee for Pro-Life Activities, wrote to the Senate last Tuesday.

      Citing examples of the threat to freedom of conscience, Cardinal Bevilacqua noted that an Alaska court recently forced a community hospital to provide elective late-term abortions contrary to its policy. In another case, abortion advocacy groups urged the state of New Jersey to require a Catholic health system to build an abortion clinic on its premises, to serve what they see as a right of "access" to abortion.

      "S. 2008 addresses these problems [...] by clarifying the scope of a
      nondiscrimination statute that both House and Senate overwhelmingly
      approved in 1996," Cardinal Bevilacqua wrote. "The current law protects
      'health care entities,' including medical residency programs, from being forced
      by government bodies to provide abortions or abortion training."

      The cardinal's letter is available at http://www.usccb.org/prolife/issues/
      abortion/andasen.htm.

      * * *

      Attacks on Schools Fail to Deter Church in Nepal

      KATMANDU, Nepal, OCT. 13, 2002 (Zenit.org).- Despite recent Maoist rebel
      attacks on two Catholic schools in the Gorkha region, a priest says the local
      Church is determined to continue its mission of service.

      On both occasions the rebels, who control a quarter of this Himalayan
      country, broke into the school building and torched classrooms.

      "These attacks are made not only on Church institutions and schools," Father
      Anthony Sharma, prefect of Nepal's Apostolic Prefecture, told the Fides
      agency. "The Maoists rebels attack private enterprises; they want to abolish
      private property."

      "But they do not have the support of the people," he said. "In regions under
      rebel control, the number of poor and homeless is on the rise. The Catholic community is esteemed in Nepal and we will continue our work consisting mostly in social assistance, education first of all. Our schools are highly appreciated; this is seen by the fact that most of the pupils are non-Christians."

      This Arkansas-size country of 25.8 million is 86% Hindu, according to U.S. government data.

      Roman catholic News is very happy to announce new exciting links available to you, our fine subscribers. Some links require Realplayer a software program that allows you to see live television and hear audio recordings as well as listen to live radio. The software is free. To obtain your free copy go to EWTN Live TV and Radio on the link below and scroll down until you find the Download Free RealPlayer link and click it on.

      2. Live EWTN TV and Radio
      http://www.ewtn.com/audiovideo/index.htm

      • Audio of Pope's Wednesday Audience • Radio Catolica Mundial
      • Audio of EWTN's The World Over • Mother Angelica Live (Video)
      • The Journey Home (Video) • EWTN Religious Catalogue (Video)

      Send EWTN donations online:
      https://www.ewtn.com/ewtn/ssl/donation/donation_ewtn.asp

      http://www.nccbuscc.org/nab/101402.htm

      http://www.universalis.com/cgi-bin/display/-600/USA/Readings.html

      http://www.monksofadoration.org/audiolit.html

      http://www.rosaryhour.net/ra/program.ram

      http://www.monksofadoration.org/rosarych.html

      DOWNLOAD FREE SCRIPTURAL ROSARY
      http://www.virtualrosary.org/

      http://www.suba.com/~gunkel/divinemercy/dmvirtchap.htm

      * * *

      8. BIOGRAPHY OF MAMA GILI WITH PHOTO
      http://www.holyfaceofjesus.com/mama.html
      Then once inside click on
      PRAYER FOR THE BEATIFICATION OF MAMA GILI

      publish information on Dolores Immacolata Gili (1892-1985) for an
      investigation into her cause as a Servant of God, as well as to promote her cause and to perpetuate her cult by directing prayer groups assembled in her
      honor. It has continuously enjoyed the ecclesiastical approval of Theodore Cardinal McCarrick, and the Most Reverend John Joseph Myers, Archbishop
      of Newark, New Jersey.

      Call or write today regarding favors granted through the intercession of
      Dolores Immacolata "Mama" Gili, or, for more information about the cause of her investigation for canonization to:

      HOW TO POST A QUESTION TO THE CATHOLIC REFERENCE DESK AND
      HOW TO SUBMIT AN ARTICLE FOR PUBLICATION

      Roman Catholic News is currently ranked 15 of 809 Catholic Yahoo groups,
      with over 500 subscriptions, and growing steadily on a daily basis. Your
      membership as a subscriber is important to us and helps us grow in numbers which prompts us to improve our services. Please spread the word that a
      Catholic clergy run Catholic News group and Reference Desk are available
      that keeps you informed on all the activities of Pope John Paul II, the Holy
      See, the Roman Curia, Catholic doctrine, critical world news, biblical studies,
      and its Catholic Reference Desk answers questions you post. When posting
      questions please place in the subject field of your email "Reference Desk".

      Emails can be sent to either Roman-Catholic-News
      owner@yahoogroups.com, or to jlupia2@.... Articles written by
      professional and scholarly authors can also be sent to the email addresses above for consideration in a future issue. Authors should keep in mind that Roman Catholic News is a not-for-profit organization and considers publishing articles without paying any monetary compensation to authors. All materials submitted and published are copyright protected in accordance to the latest ruling from the Office of Copyright, Library of Congress, Washington, D.C. Your subscription is important to us. Welcome to Roman Catholic News. =
      Tell a friend.

      * * *

      EUCHARISTIC PRAYER IN HONOR OF THE SORROWFUL HEART OF
      MARY

      "Eternal Father, through the Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary, I offer
      you the crucified Body of Your dearly beloved Son, Jesus Christ, in reparation
      for all the sins committed against you and for the conversion and salvation of
      the whole world."

      "Eternal Father, through the Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary, I offer
      you the precious Blood of Your dearly beloved Son, Jesus Christ, in reparation for all the sins committed against you and for the conversion and salvation of the whole world."

      "during this important time, as the eve of the new millennium approaches
      unity among all Christians of the various confessions will increase until they
      reach full communion." John Paul II, Tertio Millennio Adveniente, 16

      "Keep close to the Mother of God as if you were the child Jesus clinging to her
      robes while walking down a dusty and busy crowded street and you'll always be safe."

      To gain access to all of the Roman Catholic News archives go to the URL:

      This will give you the archive of all of the articles in all issues. There are four
      ways to access archived articles: (1) Go to the Home Page panel on the far left and click on the word "Messages" just below the word "Home"; (2) then click on the articles posted by date; (3) or click on the blue Arabic numerals in the box for the month in the yearly calendar window at the bottom of the page; (4) or type in a keyword in the long rectangular white box alongside the long rectangular button that reads SEARCH ARCHIVE, and then click that button.

      All rights reserved. Neither this work nor any part of it may be reproduced,
      distributed, performed or displayed in any medium, including electronic or digital, without permission in writing from the copyright owners. All artic=les from VIS, VID, Zenit , Associated Press (AP), Reuters, and Noticias Eclesiales
      are republished by approval and courtesy of these news agencies. We
      encourage our readers to send financial support to Zenit, a private news
      organization in Rome. Zenit (www.zenit.org), VIS (V.I.S. - Vatican Information
      Service) Zenit , Associated Press (AP), Reuters, (VID) Vidimus Dominum, and Noticias Eclesiales own the original copyright for their news releases as
      credited. All copyright materials copied in any form
      must include the appropriate copyright owner; for Roman Catholic News use
      correspondence should be sent to: