Volume 2, No. 197

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 11, 2002

      THURSDAY 12 September 2002

      * * *

      WEAR THE BROWN SCAPULAR OF OUR LADY OF MOUNT
      CARMEL AND PRAY THE ROSARY DAILY FOR THE
      CONVERSION OF THE WHOLE WORLD AND FOR CHURCH
      UNITY

      • Papal Address on Anniversary of 9/11 Attacks
      • COMMEMORATION FOR VICTIMS OF SEPTEMBER 11
      • HOLY SEE IN THE OSCE: MAINTAIN THE CALL OF HELSINKI
      • Scottish Bishops Hail Move to Avoid Fighting Against Iraq
      • War on Terrorism Should Be Primarily Non-Military, Say U.S.
      Bishops
      • Expulsion of Catholic Priests from Russia Escalates
      • Journalists Ask Pope for Beatification of Colleague
      • AUDIENCES
      • Baghdad Edgy on Anniversary of 9/11 Attacks
      • HOW TO POST A QUESTION TO THE CATHOLIC REFERENCE
      DESK AND HOW TO SUBMIT AN ARTICLE FOR PUBLICATION
      • EUCHARISTIC PRAYER IN HONOR OF THE SORROWFUL
      HEART OF MARY

      Papal Address on Anniversary of 9/11 Attacks

      John Paul II Commemorates Victims

      VATICAN CITY, SEPT. 11, 2002 (Zenit.org).- Here is a translation
      of John Paul II's address at today's general audience, held in
      Paul VI Hall.

      1. Innumerable people all over the world turn in thought today to
      the city of New York, where on Sept. 11 of last year, the twin
      towers of the World Trade Center collapsed as the consequence
      of a cruel attack, engulfing in their ruin many of our innocent
      brothers and sisters.

      A year later, we want to remember these victims of terrorism
      again, and entrust them to the mercy of God. At the same time,
      we wish to renew our expression of spiritual support to their
      families and dear ones. But we also want to challenge the
      consciences of those who planned and executed such a
      barbarous and cruel plan.

      A year after Sept. 11, 2001, we repeat that no situation of
      injustice, no sense of frustration, no philosophy or religion can
      justify such an aberration. Every human person has the right to
      have their life and dignity respected, which are inviolable goods.
      God says this, international law sanctions it, the human
      conscience proclaims it, civil coexistence demands it.

      2. Terrorism is and always will be a manifestation of inhuman
      cruelty that, precisely because of this, will never be able to
      resolve conflicts among human beings. Outrage, armed violence
      [and] war are choices that only sow and generate hatred and
      death. Only reason and love are valid means to overcome and
      resolve differences between persons and peoples.

      An agreed and resolute effort is still necessary and urgent to
      undertake new political and economic initiatives capable of
      resolving the scandalous situations of injustice and oppression,
      which continue to afflict so many members of the human family,
      creating conditions that are favorable to the uncontrollable
      explosion of rancor. When fundamental rights are violated, it is
      easy to fall prey to temptations of hatred and violence. It is
      necessary to build together a global culture of solidarity, which
      will again give youth hope in the future.

      3. I wish to repeat to all the words of the Bible: "The Lord ...
      comes to govern the earth, to govern the world with justice and
      the peoples with faithfulness" (Psalm 95[96]:13). Liberty and
      peace can only spring from truth and justice. On these values it
      is possible to build a life worthy of man. Outside of these there is
      only ruin and destruction.

      On this very sad anniversary, we raise our prayer to God: may
      love replace hatred and, with the efforts of all people of good will,
      may concord and solidarity be established in every corner of the
      earth.

      [Translation by ZENIT]

      [The Holy Father then summarized his address in several
      languages, including French, English, German, Spanish and
      Portuguese. In English, he said:]

      Dear Brothers and Sisters,

      Today our thoughts turn to the terrible events of September 11
      last year, symbolized in the destruction of the Twin Towers of the
      World Trade Center in New York, with the death of so many
      innocent people.

      We address an ardent prayer to Almighty God for the victims of
      that terrorist act. No situation of hurt, no philosophy or religion,
      can ever justify such a grave offense against human life and
      dignity. Violence can only lead to further hatred and destruction. It
      can never lead to correct solutions to the scandalous
      imbalances and injustices existing in the world.

      The Lord judges the world with justice and truth (see Psalm 95,
      13). May he help all peoples to seek the justice and truth that
      brings freedom and peace.

      I extend a special welcome to the Benedictine Nuns and Sisters
      present. May you successfully assimilate the passing concerns
      of the world into the profound God-centered spirituality which has
      always been the life of your Order.

      Upon all the English-speaking visitors and pilgrims, especially
      those from England, Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Malta, Malaysia,
      and the United States of America, I invoke the abundant grace
      and peace of our Lord Jesus Christ.

      [The Pope then expressed special greetings to groups of
      pilgrims in a number of languages, including Dutch, Czech,
      Slovak, Hungarian, Ukrainian, Latvian and Italian. During the
      Prayer of the Faithful, the Holy Father said in English:]

      For the victims of violence and terrorism, and in particular for
      those who were cruelly snatched from their loved ones a year
      ago today, that they may be welcomed to the banquet of life,
      where there will be no more weeping, mourning, or anxiety. Let
      us ask, too, that the living may not lack the comfort of faith and
      fraternal support. Let us pray.

      [John Paul II concluded the audience with the following prayer]

      Holy Father, God of infinite mercy, have pity for so many
      injustices that stain the conscience of mankind. Infuse in the
      heart of every man and every woman the powerful breath of your
      Holy Spirit, so that together, day by day, they may grow in concord
      and form a great family, where all are accepted and recognized
      as your children. We ask this through Jesus Christ, Son of the
      Immaculate Virgin, our Lord, who lives and reigns for ever and
      ever.

      [Original English texts distributed by Vatican Press Office]

      * * *

      COMMEMORATION FOR VICTIMS OF SEPTEMBER 11

      VATICAN CITY, SEP 11, 2002 (VIS) - This morning, in the chapel
      at Fiumicino Airport in Rome, there was a solemn eucharistic
      concelebration to commemorate the victims of the terrorist
      attacks of September 11.

      At the beginning of the mass, Archbishop Stephen Fumio
      Hamao, president of the Pontifical Council for the Pastoral Care
      of Migrants and Itinerant Peoples, expressed the "solidarity of the
      Holy See with all those who have suffered and continue to suffer
      the consequences of that terrible day." In addition, he invited
      everyone to pray for the deceased and for just and lasting peace
      in the world.

      Archbishop John P. Foley, president of the Pontifical Council for
      Social Communications, will celebrate a mass this evening for
      peace and justice in the American parish of St. Susanna in
      which American residents of Rome will participate.

      * * *

      HOLY SEE IN THE OSCE: MAINTAIN THE CALL OF HELSINKI

      VATICAN CITY, SEP 11, 2002 (VIS) - Msgr. Ettore Balestrero,
      head of the delegation of the Holy See at the annual meeting of
      the Organization of Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE),
      delivered a speech on September 9 upon the opening of the
      work sessions. The meeting is taking place in Warsaw, Poland
      and is dedicated this year to the analysis of the implementation
      of the commitments assumed by 55 participating states
      regarding the so-called 'human mission' of the OSCE.

      The prelate began his talk by recalling the Declaration of
      Human Rights of Helsinki and affirmed that it was necessary to
      "keep alive the "flame of the torch'" lit on that occasion. For this
      reason, he continued, it is necessary "to implement the
      commitments assumed, and to act in a manner consistent with
      them, even when responding to the threat of terrorism."

      "Without a functioning rule of law there is no possibility of
      effectively addressing the scourge of terrorism. At the same time,
      if special measures are required, these should not be potential
      factors of change for the quality and nature of the democratic
      and judiciary systems. In other words, it should be avoided the
      risk of undermining the very basis of democracy and the rule of
      law even with the reason of coming to its defense."

      Referring to the defense of religious freedom, the Holy See
      delegate asserted that "no civil law or religious communities
      may therefore be used to limit the activities, which are
      expressions of the religious freedom of those communities and
      of their individual members." He went on to underline that
      "member states of the OSCE should therefore reject any
      pressure possibly exercised in the context of their jurisdiction by
      whatever religious confession ... which might damage the
      expressions of religious freedom of other religious
      communities."

      Another of the topics brought up by the prelate was human
      trafficking, "which has been defined," he said, "as the slavery of
      the 21st century. It is necessary for us all to confront the
      uncomfortable fact that so far States have not succeeded in
      eliminating this trade ... this makes it especially important not to
      give in to any demagogy which would hamper the determination
      of new remedies and the implementation of the existing ones."

      Lastly, Msgr. Balestrero spoke about immigration and
      observed that its regulation, through projects respectful of
      immigrants as well as the host population, would benefit
      everyone, that always "the right and fundamental freedoms of all
      parties involved should obviously be guaranteed."

      Scottish Bishops Hail Move to Avoid Fighting Against Iraq

      GLASGOW, Scotland, SEPT. 11, 2002 (Zenit.org).- The Scottish
      Catholic bishops' conference welcomed moves by British Prime
      Minister Tony Blair to deal with Iraq through the United Nations
      and to avoid hasty military action.

      In the a statement released today, the bishops' said they "share
      the concern of all people anxious to avoid war and conflict."

      "We welcome the recent undertakings given by the Prime
      Minister, specifically, to deal with Saddam Hussein using the
      mechanisms of the United Nations and to avoid precipitate
      military action," the statement said.

      It concluded: "Mindful of Catholic teaching that sees war only as
      a last resort when no other options remain, we recall the words
      of Pope John Paul II in 1982 when he reminded us that the scale
      and horror of modern warfare made it an unacceptable means of
      settling differences between nations."

      * * *

      War on Terrorism Should Be Primarily Non-Military, Say U.S.
      Bishops

      Panel Urges Support of International Community Needed

      WASHINGTON, D.C., SEPT. 11, 2002 (Zenit.org).- The U.S.
      bishops' conference says the war on terrorism should be fought
      with the backing of the world community and primarily by
      non-military means.

      On the eve of the first anniversary of the 9/11 attacks, the
      administrative committee of the U.S. bishops' conference issued
      a statement recalling the tragedy.

      "9/11. What this date now represents has changed our lives, our
      nation, our world and our community of faith," the statement said.
      "9/11 has become a symbol of unspeakable evil and deep loss,
      of tremendous sacrifice and great faith and of challenges we
      continue to face as a people."

      "The murder of so many innocent people from so many
      countries requires us to act as a nation and to offer continuing
      consolation and support as a people," it continued. "The loss of
      life in Afghanistan, whether U.S. military personnel or Afghan
      men, women and children, also weighs heavily on us."

      It added: "Our faith tells us that every life is precious whether a
      person worked at the World Trade Center or the Pentagon or
      was on the flight that crashed in Shanksville, Pennsylvania, or
      lived in Afghanistan."

      Turning to the future, the bishops' statement said: "Firm resolve
      in defending innocent life and the common good against
      terrorism is still required of our nation. In this necessary task, we
      must ensure restraint in the use of military force, insisting that
      traditional moral norms governing war and protecting the
      innocent must be observed."

      "This 'war on terrorism' should be fought with the support of the
      international community and primarily by non-military means,
      denying terrorists resources, recruits, and opportunities for their
      evil acts," the statement insisted.

      "We also need to ensure that poor people at home and around
      the world do not bear disproportionate burdens in the sacrifices
      ahead," it added. "As we confront evil acts, which no cause can
      justify, this 'war on terrorism' must not deflect us from sustained
      commitment to overcome poverty, conflict and injustice,
      particularly in the Middle East and the developing world, which
      can provide fertile ground in which hopelessness and terrorism
      thrive.

      "Our faith calls us to seek not only a safer world, but a more just
      and peaceful world for all God's children."

      * * *

      Expulsion of Catholic Priests from Russia Escalates

      Father Edvard Maszkiewicz Is Latest Victim

      ROME, SEPT. 11, 2002 (Zenit.org).- While the Vatican was
      protesting the latest expulsion of a Catholic priest from Russia,
      authorities there were expelling yet another one.

      Following the expulsion over six months of a Catholic bishop
      and other priests, sources of the Church in Russia reported that
      Father Edvard Maszkiewicz, a Polish Salesian, was impeded
      Tuesday from returning to his parish.

      Father Maszkiewicz, a parish priest in Rostov-on-Don, in
      southern Russia, was detained for several hours by the police
      on the border with Byelorussia, when he was returning by car
      from Warsaw.

      A police commander told him that "his church had been closed,
      his parish removed and, therefore, he no longer needed to be a
      priest in Rostov-on-Don." His visa was canceled, Catholic
      sources reported.

      Father Maszkiewicz, 45, had been living in Russia for over 10
      years. He succeeded in building a church in that city. On Monday
      morning, unknown individuals fired on the church.

      Earlier on Tuesday, Father Jaroslaw Wisniewski, another Polish
      priest, was deported to Japan from the Khabarovsk airport,
      where he had landed the previous day.

      Authorities gave no explanations for the expulsion, the official
      agency Itar-Tass stated.

      The Vatican protested against the expulsion of Father
      Wisniewski, alluding to the possibility of a persecution against
      the Catholic Church in Russia.

      * * *

      Journalists Ask Pope for Beatification of Colleague

      Manuel Lozano Garrido Spent 28 Years in a Wheelchair

      VATICAN CITY, SEPT. 11, 2002 (Zenit.org).- John Paul II received
      the signatures of more than 200 journalists who requested the
      beatification of Manuel Lozano Garrido, a colleague who spent
      much of his life confined to a wheelchair.

      Three journalists handed over the official petition today to the
      Pope. The three were Paloma Gómez Borrero, Rome
      correspondent of the Spanish COPE radio network; Alex Rosal,
      director of the weekly newspaper Fe y Razón; and Jesús Colina,
      director of ZENIT.

      The journalists were accompanied by Rafael Higueras Álamo,
      postulator of the cause, who handed the Holy Father the "positio"
      or documented research on Manuel Lozano Garrido's life and
      virtues.

      Lozano was born in Linares, Spain, in 1920. He began his
      professional work as a journalist in religious media and in the
      Associated Press.

      In 1942 he contracted spondylitis, an inflammation of the
      vertebrae, which deformed his body and left him an invalid. For
      the next 28 years he was confined to a wheelchair. He was blind
      his last 10 years. He died Nov. 3, 1971.

      "Lolo," as he was known, managed to dictate nine books to his
      sister Lucy and to his friends. He founded Sinai magazine for the
      sick.

      His cause of beatification is already at an advanced stage in the
      Vatican Congregation for the Causes of Saints.

      If a panel of theologians and cardinals declares his "heroic
      virtues," a scientific commission will study an existing miracle
      attributed to his intercession. The postulator's office reports that
      studies have already been made of the inexplicable cure in 1974
      of a 2-year-old Spanish boy, who today is an international tennis
      umpire.

      VATICAN CITY, SEP 11, 2002 (VIS) - The Holy Father today
      received in audience Archbishop Mario Roberto Cassari,
      apostolic nuncio in the Republic of the Congo and Gabon.

      * * *

      Baghdad Edgy on Anniversary of 9/11 Attacks

      BAGHDAD, Iraq, SEPT. 11, 2002 (Zenit.org).- Fears of U.S.
      bombings against Iraq on the anniversary of last September's
      terrorist attacks had people in Baghdad on edge, says a nun.

      The nun, who asked not to be identified, told the Misna
      missionary agency that prayer for the victims of the terrorist
      attacks in the United States has also dominated this somber
      anniversary.

      The nun, who works for Raphael I Bidawid, patriarch of the
      Chaldeans in Baghdad, said: "I pray for the victims of Sept. 11
      and for the poor people of this country, who for months has lived
      with the nightmare of a military" intervention.

      The United States is considering action to force Saddam
      Hussein from power.

      "I also pray so that people will learn from the suffering of others,"
      the nun added.

      Roman catholic News is very happy to announce new exciting
      links available to you, our fine subscribers. Some links require
      Realplayer a software program that allows you to see live
      television and hear audio recordings as well as listen to live
      radio. The software is free. To obtain your free copy go to EWTN
      Live TV and Radio on the link below and scroll down until you
      find the Download Free RealPlayer link and click it on.

      2. Live EWTN TV and Radio
      http://www.ewtn.com/audiovideo/index.htm

      • Live EWTN TV - Spanish • Catholic World Today Radio
      • Audio of Pope's Wednesday Audience • Radio Catolica Mundial
      • Audio of EWTN's The World Over • Mother Angelica Live (Video)
      • The Journey Home (Video) • EWTN Religious Catalogue (Video)

      Send EWTN donations online:
      https://www.ewtn.com/ewtn/ssl/donation/donation_ewtn.asp

      http://www.nccbuscc.org/nab/091202.htm

      http://www.universalis.com/cgi-bin/display/-600/USA/Readings.html

      http://www.monksofadoration.org/audiolit.html

      http://www.rosaryhour.net/ra/program.ram

      http://www.monksofadoration.org/rosarych.html

      DOWNLOAD FREE SCRIPTURAL ROSARY
      http://www.virtualrosary.org/

      http://www.suba.com/~gunkel/divinemercy/dmvirtchap.htm

      * * *

      8. BIOGRAPHY OF MAMA GILI WITH PHOTO
      http://www.holyfaceofjesus.com/mama.html
      Then once inside click on
      PRAYER FOR THE BEATIFICATION OF MAMA GILI

      The Mama Gili Guild was established several years ago to
      gather, collect, and publish information on Dolores Immacolata
      Gili (1892-1985) for an investigation into her cause as a Servant
      of God, as well as to promote her cause and to perpetuate her
      cult by directing prayer groups assembled in her honor. It has
      continuously enjoyed the ecclesiastical approval of Theodore
      Cardinal McCarrick, and the Most Reverend John Joseph Myers,
      Archbishop of Newark, New Jersey.

      Call or write today regarding favors granted through the
      intercession of Dolores Immacolata "Mama" Gili, or, for more
      information about the cause of her investigation for canonization to:

      HOW TO POST A QUESTION TO THE CATHOLIC REFERENCE
      DESK AND HOW TO SUBMIT AN ARTICLE FOR PUBLICATION

      Roman Catholic News is currently ranked 15 of 809 Catholic
      Yahoo groups, with over 500 subscriptions, and growing steadily
      on a daily basis. Your membership as a subscriber is important
      to us and helps us grow in numbers which prompts us to
      improve our services. Please spread the word that a Catholic
      clergy run Catholic News group and Reference Desk are
      available that keeps you informed on all the activities of Pope
      John Paul II, the Holy See, the Roman Curia, Catholic doctrine,
      critical world news, biblical studies, and its Catholic Reference
      Desk answers questions you post. When posting questions
      please place in the subject field of your email "Reference Desk".
      Emails can be sent to either Roman-Catholic-News
      owner@yahoogroups.com, or to jlupia2@.... Articles
      written by professional and scholarly authors can also be sent to
      the email addresses above for consideration in a future issue.
      Authors should keep in mind that Roman Catholic News is a
      not-for-profit organization and considers publishing articles
      without paying any monetary compensation to authors. All
      materials submitted and published are copyright protected in
      accordance to the latest ruling from the Office of Copyright,
      Library of Congress, Washington, D.C. Your subscription is
      important to us. Welcome to Roman Catholic News. Tell a friend.

      * * *

      EUCHARISTIC PRAYER IN HONOR OF THE SORROWFUL
      HEART OF MARY

      "Eternal Father, through the Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of
      Mary, I offer you the crucified Body of Your dearly beloved Son,
      Jesus Christ, in reparation for all the sins committed against you
      and for the conversion and salvation of the whole world."

      "Eternal Father, through the Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of
      Mary, I offer you the precious Blood of Your dearly beloved Son,
      Jesus Christ, in reparation for all the sins committed against you
      and for the conversion and salvation of the whole world."

      approaches unity among all Christians of the various
      confessions will increase until they reach full communion." John
      Paul II, Tertio Millennio Adveniente, 16

      clinging to her robes while walking down a dusty and busy
      crowded street and you'll always be safe."

      To gain access to all of the Roman Catholic News archives go to
      the URL:

      There are four ways to access archived articles: (1) Go to the
      Home Page panel on the far left and click on the word
      "Messages" just below the word "Home"; (2) then click on the
      articles posted by date; (3) or click on the blue Arabic numerals
      in the box for the month in the yearly calendar window at the
      bottom of the page; (4) or type in a keyword in the long
      rectangular white box alongside the long rectangular button that
      reads SEARCH ARCHIVE, and then click that button.

      unless specified otherwise. All rights reserved. Neither this work
      nor any part of it may be reproduced, distributed, performed or
      displayed in any medium, including electronic or digital, without
      permission in writing from the copyright owners. All articles from
      VIS, VID, Zenit , Associated Press (AP), Reuters, and Noticias
      Eclesiales are republished by approval and courtesy of these
      news agencies. We encourage our readers to send financial
      support to Zenit, a private news organization in Rome. Zenit
      (www.zenit.org), VIS (V.I.S. - Vatican Information Service) Zenit ,
      Associated Press (AP), Reuters, (VID) Vidimus Dominum, and
      Noticias Eclesiales own the original copyright for their news
      releases as credited. All copyright materials copied in any form
      must include the appropriate copyright owner; for Roman
      correspondence should be sent to: