Volume 2, No. 171

  • jlupia2
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 9, 2002

      THURSDAY 9 August 2002

      * * *

      WEAR THE BROWN SCAPULAR OF OUR LADY OF MOUNT
      CARMEL AND PRAY THE ROSARY DAILY FOR THE
      CONVERSION OF THE WHOLE WORLD AND FOR CHURCH
      UNITY

      • Pope Dedicated Weekly Catechesis to Recent Apostolic Visit to
      Guatemala and Mexico
      • Cardinal Bergoglio Requests Hope to Argentine Town in
      Celebration of San Cayetano
      • Archbishop of Guadalajara: "The Pope Continues to Surprise
      Us"
      • Dalai Lama Promotes Religious Intolerance
      • HOW TO POST A QUESTION TO THE CATHOLIC REFERENCE
      DESK AND HOW TO SUBMIT AN ARTICLE FOR PUBLICATION
      • EUCHARISTIC PRAYER IN HONOR OF THE SORROWFUL
      HEART OF MARY

      Pope Dedicated Weekly Catechesis to Recent Apostolic Visit to
      Guatemala and Mexico

      Rome, (8 NE - eclesiales.org) Pope John Paul II appeared at
      the balcony of the inner patio of the Apostolic Palace of Castel
      Gandolfo for the traditional Hearing of Wednesdays. In his words
      to the pilgrims, the Pope offered diverse memories and
      reflections on his recent apostolic visit to Guatemala and Mexico.
      Speaking of Guatemala, he remembered Brother Pedro of San
      Jose Betancur, originally of Tenerife, whom he canonized. The
      Pope described the new saint as "a man of intense prayer and
      an intrepid apostle of divine mercy".

      Further, he recalled his visit to Mexico, for the canonization of
      Juan Diego and the beatification of the indigenous martyrs Juan
      Baptist and Jacinth of the Angels. Speaking of San Juan Diego,
      he pointed out that he was "a humble and generous man" and
      added that "the Guadalupian event constituted a landmark in the
      history of the evangelization in Mexico and a model of perfectly
      inculturated evangelization".

      On Blessed Juan Baptist and Jacinth of the Angels, he said that
      "they were fruit of the first evangelization between the Zapotecas
      Indians" they were the breath of living testimony to Christ giving it
      life.

      [English translation by Roman Catholic News]

      * * *

      Cardinal Bergoglio Requests Hope to Argentine Town in
      Celebration of San Cayetano

      Buenos Aires, 8 (NE - eclesiales.org) the Archbishop of Buenos
      Aires and Primate of Argentina, Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio,
      presided over Mass yesterday for the celebration of San
      Cayetano, patron of the bread and work, in the sanctuary of the
      Buenosairean district of Liniers. From midnight, thousands of
      faithful entered the church to pray before the image of saint. The
      lines to enter the Church extended several blocks, while the
      Mass was celebrated hourly.

      During his homily, the Argentine Cardinal encouraged the
      population "to share every day a piece of bread that they have
      and to invent a thousand new ways to work in common with the
      community". "At the same time that we demand justice we come
      here to request the Lord of the life and to ask Him the bread and
      work for him, by intercession of San Cayetano".

      "Hopefully our people will receive this grace: to be inspired to
      give of our life to our brothers with whom we coexist in our dear
      Argentina Nation." Further, he indicated that "we want to rescue
      those deep values that we have received like the town and, at
      this difficult moment , to give testimony of hope, solidarity,
      insistent peace and, with hunger and thirst for justice".

      "We want to rescue - he added- that strength of our faithful town
      that knows ' to put people first and to carry their cross helping
      others... We want to rescue the grace of that ' well-being of Jesus
      to whom we cry' because they are hungry and thirst for justice,
      and to receive from his hands the consolation that we need."

      [English translation by Roman Catholic News]

      * * *

      Archbishop of Guadalajara: "The Pope Continues to Surprise
      Us"

      Guadalajara, (8 NE - eclesiales.org)"the Pope continues
      surprising us". With this theme Cardinal Juan Sandoval,
      Archbishop of Guadalajara, commented in his weekly message
      to the faithful at the recent World-Wide Youth Day in Toronto. On
      the matter, the Mexican Cardinal emphasized the energy and the
      optimism of the Pope toward life, as well as "his attitude to
      always watch towards the future".

      "The impression which we had of the Pope John Paul II -
      affirmed the Cardinal -, it is that it surpassed all expectations...
      The voice of the Pope, in the assemblies Thursday, Saturday
      and Sunday, was the voice of a strong man; a clear voice that
      with enormous facility that happened to improvise the written text
      , or from one language to another, with a very great spiritual
      closeness with the young people. It The physical energy of the
      Holy Father, surprised us, right up to the height of his great
      spiritual force."

      On the other hand, the Archbishop emphasized "simplicity, the
      joy and the optimism whereupon he speaks to the young people
      and the exigency whereupon he goes to them: he exceeds the
      exigencies of the Gospel, and perhaps it is for that reason that
      they follow it ". "it was put to the youths why they attended, what
      are their hopes of the Pope; why do they follow him. The answer
      was: "He is a man who makes us feel the presence of God, he
      makes us feel our dignity as human beings and Christians; his
      words and example fill us with joy and hope "", added the
      Cardinal.

      [English translation by Roman Catholic News]

      * * *

      Dalai Lama Promotes Religious Intolerance

      Madrid, 8 (NE - eclesiales.org) One of the greater "new features"
      of this year turns out to be disagreeable and paradoxical. It
      comes from India, where repeatedly religious intolerance
      against which, Mahatma Gandhi, during the time of
      independence from British dominion, fought unfruitfully which
      prompted the creation of Muslim Pakistan.

      In the India of today an increasing danger constituted by Hindu
      extremism is registered. This has been the cause of numerous
      bloody episodes damaging to religious minorities, especially
      Christians. The Catholic victims and those of other Christian
      denominations are not few in an India that is showing
      characteristics of antichristian fanaticism. In this atmosphere of
      religious intolerance that comes attacking diverse people
      because of the creed they profess has become identified by a
      figure that universally has been considered a victim of the
      Chinese antireligious persecution, the Dalai Lama.

      It has been powerfully made apparent that the supreme authority
      of Tibetan Buddhism, whose key relation with the world and the
      people had been to be promote tolerance, now leads the "club of
      intolerance", flagrantly opposed to the human right of religious
      freedom. Indeed the fourteenth Dalai Lama, whose name is
      Tenzin Gyatso, in the past pleaded to the General Assembly of
      Nations for freedom. In 1963 he proclaimed a democratic
      constitution for his people based on the Universal Declaration of
      Human rights.

      Today, Tenzin Gyatso, the Dalai Lama, has used the subject of
      the Human rights as a war horse seems to have forgotten his
      personal history and that of his people. During a recent Buddhist
      festival in India, where according to sources, he complained
      against the Christian missionaries. In addition he would also
      have signed a declaration in which the prohibition of religious
      conversions is requested in India". Experts have characterized
      the declaration as "an implicit retractation of article 18 of the
      Declaration of the Rights of Man of 1948".

      For some time, Kundeling, head of the monastery of Atisha, in
      Bangalore, alleges to have been attacked and to be exiled by the
      Dalai Lama for not having accepted his spiritual dispositions.
      Kundeling indicated that "the Dalai Lama has two faces. In the
      West he promotes dialogue and a free atmosphere. In the east
      he is a monarch who as such treatens his subjects. Freedom in
      the country does not exist, because he has the monopoly over all
      the subjects ". There is no lack of accusations of this type that,
      when not being properly verified, only receive the certainty of their
      claim.

      But if it is a fact that this has happened in the declaration signed
      in India, in states of Buddhist majority like Bután (75% of
      Buddhist) and Sri Lanka (Buddhist 70% of), any activity which is
      called a "foreign religion" soon knows about the numerous
      bureaucratic obstacles, practical and legislative. Some who are
      reacting have asked themselves: It will be worth the trouble to
      limit the Hindu, the Buddhists liberties and of the Muslims in the
      West, to respond to whatever happens in countries under his
      religious hegemony? The logical answer is "not", obvious while
      effective threats for the security of society and human rights of
      the people do not exist that allow them to follow their religious
      creed or not.

      But at the beginning of the 21st century, it is unquestionable that
      in few countries there isn't an attitude that ricochets off the
      religious convictions of others and intolerance against people is
      even jeopardized with a creed. The information of intimidation
      campaigns, calumnies and persecutions against believers of
      diverse denominations are multiplied. All it presents is a dark
      panorama for the application of human rights of individual
      religious freedom

      [English translation by Roman Catholic News]

      Roman catholic News is very happy to announce new exciting
      links available to you, our fine subscribers. Some links require
      Realplayer a software program that allows you to see live
      television and hear audio recordings as well as listen to live
      radio. The software is free. To obtain your free copy go to EWTN
      Live TV and Radio on the link below and scroll down until you
      find the Download Free RealPlayer link and click it on.

      2. Live EWTN TV and Radio
      http://www.ewtn.com/audiovideo/index.htm

      • Live EWTN TV - Spanish • Catholic World Today Radio
      • Audio of Pope's Wednesday Audience • Radio Catolica Mundial
      • Audio of EWTN's The World Over • Mother Angelica Live (Video)
      • The Journey Home (Video) • EWTN Religious Catalogue (Video)

      Send EWTN donations online:
      https://www.ewtn.com/ewtn/ssl/donation/donation_ewtn.asp

      http://www.nccbuscc.org/nab/080902.htm

      http://www.universalis.com/cgi-bin/display/-600/USA/Readings.html

      http://www.monksofadoration.org/audiolit.html

      http://www.rosaryhour.net/ra/program.ram

      http://www.monksofadoration.org/rosarych.html

      DOWNLOAD FREE SCRIPTURAL ROSARY
      http://www.virtualrosary.org/

      http://www.suba.com/~gunkel/divinemercy/dmvirtchap.htm

      * * *

      8. BIOGRAPHY OF MAMA GILI WITH PHOTO
      http://www.holyfaceofjesus.com/mama.html
      Then once inside click on
      PRAYER FOR THE BEATIFICATION OF MAMA GILI

      The Mama Gili Guild was established several years ago to
      gather, collect, and publish information on Dolores Immacolata
      Gili (1892-1985) for an investigation into her cause as a Servant
      of God, as well as to promote her cause and to perpetuate her
      cult by directing prayer groups assembled in her honor. It has
      continuously enjoyed the ecclesiastical approval of Theodore
      Cardinal McCarrick, and the Most Reverend John Joseph Myers,
      Archbishop of Newark, New Jersey.

      Call or write today regarding favors granted through the
      intercession of Dolores Immacolata "Mama" Gili, or, for more
      information about the cause of her investigation for canonization to:

      HOW TO POST A QUESTION TO THE CATHOLIC REFERENCE
      DESK AND HOW TO SUBMIT AN ARTICLE FOR PUBLICATION

      Roman Catholic News is currently ranked 15 of 809 Catholic
      Yahoo groups, with over 500 subscriptions, and growing steadily
      on a daily basis. Your membership as a subscriber is important
      to us and helps us grow in numbers which prompts us to
      improve our services. Please spread the word that a Catholic
      clergy run Catholic News group and Reference Desk are
      available that keeps you informed on all the activities of Pope
      John Paul II, the Holy See, the Roman Curia, Catholic doctrine,
      critical world news, biblical studies, and its Catholic Reference
      Desk answers questions you post. When posting questions
      please place in the subject field of your email "Reference Desk".
      Emails can be sent to either Roman-Catholic-News
      owner@yahoogroups.com, or to jlupia2@.... Articles
      written by professional and scholarly authors can also be sent to
      the email addresses above for consideration in a future issue.
      Authors should keep in mind that Roman Catholic News is a
      not-for-profit organization and considers publishing articles
      without paying any monetary compensation to authors. All
      materials submitted and published are copyright protected in
      accordance to the latest ruling from the Office of Copyright,
      Library of Congress, Washington, D.C. Your subscription is
      important to us. Welcome to Roman Catholic News. Tell a friend.

      * * *

      EUCHARISTIC PRAYER IN HONOR OF THE SORROWFUL
      HEART OF MARY

      "Eternal Father, through the Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of
      Mary, I offer you the crucified Body of Your dearly beloved Son,
      Jesus Christ, in reparation for all the sins committed against you
      and for the conversion and salvation of the whole world."

      "Eternal Father, through the Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of
      Mary, I offer you the precious Blood of Your dearly beloved Son,
      Jesus Christ, in reparation for all the sins committed against you
      and for the conversion and salvation of the whole world."

      approaches unity among all Christians of the various
      confessions will increase until they reach full communion." John
      Paul II, Tertio Millennio Adveniente, 16

      clinging to her robes while walking down a dusty and busy
      crowded street and you'll always be safe."

      To gain access to all of the Roman Catholic News archives go to
      the URL:

      There are four ways to access archived articles: (1) Go to the
      Home Page panel on the far left and click on the word
      "Messages" just below the word "Home"; (2) then click on the
      articles posted by date; (3) or click on the blue Arabic numerals
      in the box for the month in the yearly calendar window at the
      bottom of the page; (4) or type in a keyword in the long
      rectangular white box alongside the long rectangular button that
      reads SEARCH ARCHIVE, and then click that button.

      unless specified otherwise. All articles from VIS, VID, Zenit ,
      Associated Press (AP), Reuters, and Noticias Eclesiales are
      republished by approval and courtesy of these news agencies.
      We encourage our readers to send financial support to Zenit, a
      private news organization in Rome. Zenit (http://www.zenit.org),
      VIS (V.I.S. - Vatican Information Service) Zenit , Associated Press
      (AP), Reuters, (VID) Vidimus Dominum, and Noticias Eclesiales
      own the original copyright for their news releases as credited. All
      copyright materials copied in any form must include the
      appropriate copyright owner; for Roman Catholic News use our
      URL as follows:
      correspondence should be sent to: