Volume 2, No. 166

  • jlupia2
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31, 2002

      THURSDAY 1 August 2002

      Feast of St. Alphonsus Liguori

      * * *

      • John Paul II's Address on Arrival in Mexico
      • Mexican President Kisses Papal Ring, Breaking a Taboo
      • Pope's Homily During Juan Diego's Canonization
      • Canonization a Sign of Pope's Solidarity with Indians, Says
      • Army of Catholic Lay Evangelizers on the Offensive
      • Brother Pedro's Spirit Alive Among Poor of Antigua Guatemala
      • Guatemalan Plan to Halt Death Penalty Pleases Pope
      • Moscow Patriarchate Says Preaching by Catholics

      * * *

      John Paul II's Address on Arrival in Mexico

      "May God Make You Like Juan Diego!"

      MEXICO CITY, JULY 31, 2002 (Zenit.org).- Here is a translation of
      the address John Paul II delivered Tuesday upon arrival at
      Mexico City's International Airport, following President Vicente
      Fox's welcome.

      Mr. President of the United Mexican States,
      Your Eminence, the Cardinal Archbishop of Mexico City,
      Dear Brothers in the Episcopate,
      Distinguished Authorities and Members of the Diplomatic Corps,

      Dear Mexican People,

      1. I am filled with great joy at being able to come to this
      hospitable land for the fifth time. It was here that I began my
      Apostolic travels which have taken me as the Successor of the
      Apostle Peter to so many parts of the world, bringing me close to
      many men and women to strengthen them in their faith in our
      Savior, Jesus Christ.

      After celebrating the 17th World Youth Day in Toronto, today I
      have had the good fortune to add to the list of saints a wonderful
      evangelizer from this continent: Brother Pedro de San José de
      Betancur. Tomorrow, with deep joy I shall canonize Juan Diego,
      and on the following day I shall beatify two other compatriots of
      yours: Juan Bautista and Jacinto de los Ángeles, who will thus
      join these beautiful examples of holiness in these beloved
      American countries, where the Christian message has been
      welcomed with open hearts, permeating their cultures and
      bringing forth abundant fruit.

      2. I am grateful for the friendly words of welcome which the
      President has addressed to me on behalf of all Mexicans. I
      would like to reciprocate by renewing once more my sentiments
      of affection and esteem for this people with their wealth of history
      and ancestral cultures. I encourage everybody to work for the
      building up of an ever renewed homeland and for the country's
      continual progress. I greet with affection the Cardinals and
      Bishops, the dear priests, men and women religious, all the
      faithful who day by day endeavor to practice the Christian faith
      and make the words that are the hope and program of the future
      come true: "Mexico ever faithful!". From here I also send an
      affectionate greeting to the young people gathered at a prayer
      vigil in Plaza del Zócalo in front of the Primatial Cathedral, and I
      tell them that the Pope is counting on them and asking them to
      be true friends of Jesus and witnesses to his Gospel.

      3. Dear Mexicans: thank you for your hospitality, for your constant
      affection, for your fidelity to the Church. Continue to be faithful on
      this journey, encouraged by the marvelous examples of holiness
      born in this noble nation. Be holy! Repeating what I said to you in
      the Basilica of Guadalupe in 1990, serve God, the Church and
      the nation, each one assuming personal responsibility for
      passing on the Gospel message and witnessing to a faith that is
      alive and active in society.

      I cordially bless each one of you, with the words which your
      ancestors addressed to their loved ones: "May God make you
      like Juan Diego!".

      * * *

      Mexican President Kisses Papal Ring, Breaking a Taboo

      MEXICO CITY, JULY 31, 2002 (Zenit.org).- When President
      Vicente Fox kissed John Paul II's ring during Tuesday's welcome
      ceremony, he broke a decades-old taboo in Mexican politics.

      "Mexico Hands Itself to JP," read a Page 1 headline in the
      Reforma newspaper. "Fox's Kiss Has Impact," El Universal
      commented in an eight-column article. La Jornada simply
      asked: "And the Lay State?"

      For most of the 20th century, the Church in Mexico lacked all
      legal recognition. Priests were stripped of most of their civil
      rights. The situation was inherited from the Constitution as well
      as the 1920s laws which accompanied a bloody religious

      The Church and other religious professions were not legally
      recognized until 1992, during Carlos Salinas de Gortari's

      Until 2000, during the more than 70 years that the Institutional
      Revolutionary Party (PRI) was in power, Mexican presidents
      refused to make any public manifestation of their faith,
      considering it a violation of church-state separation.

      Ernesto Zedillo, the last PRI president, broke some of the taboos
      when he attended the inauguration of the Cathedral of Ecatepec,
      near the capital, on March 25, 1999. He did not make a public
      expression of his faith, however.

      Vicente Fox, who openly admits he is a Catholic, has broken with
      this tradition. After winning the elections of July 2000, he
      surprised the country when he knelt down before the image of
      the Blessed Virgin in the Basilica of Our Lady of Guadalupe,
      before receiving the presidential sash the following Dec. 1.

      This concept of church-state separation, typical of 19th-century
      Masonic groups, which impedes a politician from manifesting
      his faith, was criticized on the eve of the Pope's visit to Mexico by
      Cardinal Norberto Rivera Carrera, archbishop primate of the

      The cardinal said on Sunday that Mexico does not yet enjoy full
      religious liberty. He cited the example of President Fox, who was
      to remove his investiture before attending Juan Diego's

      "It is not necessary to engage in juridical fabrications, because
      the president is president in and out of his home, in an out of the
      Church," the cardinal said.

      The archbishop primate said that legal changes were required
      to reinforce church-state relations, something the legislative
      branch must address.

      Current laws deny the Church the right to express itself in the
      media, and to teach religion in schools.

      * * *

      Pope's Homily During Juan Diego's Canonization

      Sign of "New Humanity" That Makes No Distinctions of Race

      MEXICO CITY, JULY 31, 2002 (Zenit.org).- Here is a translation of
      John Paul II's homily during today's canonization Mass for Juan
      Diego Cuauhtlatoatzin (1474-1548), the Indian witness of the
      apparitions of Guadalupe.

      1. I thank you, Father ... that you have hidden these things from
      the wise and understanding and revealed them to babes; yea,
      Father, for such was your gracious will" (Mt 11:25-26).

      Dear Brothers and Sisters,

      These words of Jesus in today's Gospel are a special invitation
      to us to praise and thank God for the gift of the first indigenous
      Saint of the American Continent.

      With deep joy I have come on pilgrimage to this Basilica of Our
      Lady of Guadalupe, the Marian heart of Mexico and of America, to
      proclaim the holiness of Juan Diego Cuauhtlatoatzin, the simple,
      humble Indian who contemplated the sweet and serene face of
      Our Lady of Tepeyac, so dear to the people of Mexico.

      2. I am grateful for the kind words of Cardinal Norberto Rivera
      Carrera, Archbishop of Mexico City, and for the warm hospitality
      of the people of this Primatial Archdiocese: my cordial greeting
      goes to everyone. I also greet with affection Cardinal Ernesto
      Corripio Ahumada, Archbishop Emeritus of Mexico City, and the
      other Cardinals, as well as the Bishops of Mexico, of America, of
      the Philippines and of other places in the world. I am likewise
      particularly grateful to the President and the civil Authorities for
      their presence at this celebration.

      Today I address a very affectionate greeting to the many
      indigenous people who have come from the different regions of
      the country, representing the various ethnic groups and cultures
      which make up the rich, multifaceted Mexican reality. The Pope
      expresses his closeness to them, his deep respect and
      admiration, and receives them fraternally in the Lord's name.

      3. What was Juan Diego like? Why did God look upon him? The
      Book of Sirach, as we have heard, teaches us that God alone "is
      mighty; he is glorified by the humble" (cf. Sir 3:20). Saint Paul's
      words, also proclaimed at this celebration, shed light on the
      divine way of bringing about salvation: "God chose what is low
      and despised in the world ... so that no human being might
      boast in the presence of God" (1 Cor 1:28,29).

      It is moving to read the accounts of Guadalupe, sensitively
      written and steeped in tenderness. In them the Virgin Mary, the
      handmaid "who glorified the Lord" (Lk 1:46), reveals herself to
      Juan Diego as the Mother of the true God. As a sign, she gives
      him precious roses, and as he shows them to the Bishop, he
      discovers the blessed image of Our Lady imprinted on his tilma.

      "The Guadalupe Event," as the Mexican Episcopate has pointed
      out, "meant the beginning of evangelization with a vitality that
      surpassed all expectations. Christ's message, through his
      Mother, took up the central elements of the indigenous culture,
      purified them and gave them the definitive sense of salvation"
      (14 May 2002, No. 8). Consequently Guadalupe and Juan Diego
      have a deep ecclesial and missionary meaning and are a model
      of perfectly inculturated evangelization.

      4. "The Lord looks down from heaven, he sees all the sons of
      men" (Ps 33:13), we recited with the Psalmist, once again
      confessing our faith in God, who makes no distinctions of race
      or culture. In accepting the Christian message without forgoing
      his indigenous identity, Juan Diego discovered the profound
      truth of the new humanity, in which all are called to be children of
      God. Thus he facilitated the fruitful meeting of two worlds and
      became the catalyst for the new Mexican identity, closely united
      to Our Lady of Guadalupe, whose mestizo face expresses her
      spiritual motherhood which embraces all Mexicans. This is why
      the witness of his life must continue to be the inspiration for the
      building up of the Mexican nation, encouraging brotherhood
      among all its children and ever helping to reconcile Mexico with
      its origins, values, and traditions.

      The noble task of building a better Mexico, with greater justice
      and solidarity, demands the cooperation of all. In particular, it is
      necessary today to support the indigenous peoples in their
      legitimate aspirations, respecting and defending the authentic
      values of each ethnic group. Mexico needs its indigenous
      peoples and these peoples need Mexico!

      Beloved bothers and sisters of every ethnic background of
      Mexico and America, today, in praising the Indian Juan Diego, I
      want to express to all of you the closeness of the Church and the
      Pope, embracing you with love and encouraging you to
      overcome with hope the difficult times you are going through.

      5. At this decisive moment in Mexico's history, having already
      crossed the threshold of the new millennium, I entrust to the
      powerful intercession of Saint Juan Diego the joys and hopes,
      the fears and anxieties of the beloved Mexican people, whom I
      carry in my heart.

      Blessed Juan Diego, a good, Christian Indian, whom simple
      people have always considered a saint! We ask you to
      accompany the Church on her pilgrimage in Mexico, so that she
      may be more evangelizing and more missionary each day.
      Encourage the Bishops, support the priests, inspire new and
      holy vocations, help all those who give their lives to the cause of
      Christ and the spread of his Kingdom.

      Happy Juan Diego, true and faithful man! We entrust to you our
      lay brothers and sisters so that, feeling the call to holiness, they
      may imbue every area of social life with the spirit of the Gospel.
      Bless families, strengthen spouses in their marriage, sustain
      the efforts of parents to give their children a Christian upbringing.
      Look with favor upon the pain of those who are suffering in body
      or in spirit, on those afflicted by poverty, loneliness,
      marginalization, or ignorance. May all people, civic leaders and
      ordinary citizens, always act in accordance with the demands of
      justice and with respect for the dignity of each person, so that in
      this way peace may be reinforced.

      Beloved Juan Diego, "the talking eagle"! Show us the way that
      leads to the "Dark Virgin" of Tepeyac, that she may receive us in
      the depths of her heart, for she is the loving, compassionate
      Mother who guides us to the true God. Amen.

      * * *

      VATICAN CITY, JUL 31, 2002 (VIS) - Blessed Juan Diego
      Cuauhtlatoatzin whom John Paul II will canonize in the shrine of
      Our Lady of Guadalupe was an Indian born in 1474. The name
      Cuautlatoatzin means 'eagle that speaks.'

      Although he was not a slave and owned land on which he built
      a house, he had humble origins. He was a farmer and made
      blankets to sell.

      After Brother Toribio de Benavente preached among the
      Indians, Cuauhtlatoatzin converted to Christianity along with his
      wife between 1524 and 1525. He then took the name Juan
      Diego and his wife Maria Lucia; when she died in 1529, he
      moved with his uncle Juan Bernardino to Tolpetlac, located 14
      kilometers from the church of Tlatilolco in Tenochtitlan.

      On December 9, 1531, during one of his journeys by foot,
      crossing forests and villages to go from his house to
      Tenochtitlan, the Virgin Mary appeared to him for the first time,
      speaking to him in his native nahuatl in a place now known as
      'Chapel of the Little Hill.' Our Lady asked him to build in the
      same place a church in her honor in order to be able to give her
      love, help and compassion to men and women. At the Virgin's
      request, Juan Diego informed the bishop who did not believe
      him unless he brought him proof.

      Three days later, the Virgin appeared to the Indian again and
      told him to go up to the summit of Mt. Tepeyac where he would
      find roses from Castilla which did not grow on the mountain, and
      to bring them to the bishop. When Juan Diego opened out before
      the prelate the cloak in which he had put the roses, there was an
      image of Our Lady miraculously impressed in it. It is the same
      image that has been venerated for almost 500 years later in the
      shrine of Guadalupe.

      Juan Diego died in 1548 at 74 years of age and has become
      one of the
      most popular subjects of devotion in all of Latin America. In
      1737, the Virgin of Guadalupe was proclaimed Patron of Mexico
      and in 1910 Patron of the Americas. In 1935, the Phillipines also
      proclaimed her their patron. John Paul II elevated Juan Diego to
      the altars in 1990.

      The new shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe is located in the same place where the old basilica was constructed in the 16th century and used until the middle of the 20th century. When the foundations of the basilica
      gave in, the Mexican Episcopal Conference decided to start the construction of a new basilica. Architect Pedro Ramirez Vasquez set he first stone in place on December 12, 1974 and it was inaugurated two years later.

      * * *

      Canonization a Sign of Pope's Solidarity with Indians, Says

      TORONTO, JULY 31, 2002 (Zenit.org).- Juan Diego's
      canonization shows the Pope's solidarity with the millions of
      Indians of the Americas, a stimulus for their Christian and
      human development, says a Honduran cardinal.

      Cardinal Oscar Andrés Rodríguez Maradiaga, archbishop of
      Tegucigalpa, and president of the Honduran bishops'
      conference, made these comments Sunday as World Youth Day
      was ending.

      "The canonization is a good stimulus for the existence of the
      Indian's human development, which also leads to Christian
      development and holiness, as it is possible for every Christian to
      be a saint and Juan Diego is an example," the cardinal told the
      Mexican newspaper Reforma.

      Cardinal Rodríguez Maradiaga also emphasized that Juan
      Diego's canonization should not be interpreted as an
      endorsement of native theologies.

      "All those types of currents are good in so far as they might favor
      plurality of thought, but they are bad if they introduce divisions,"
      he said, "because the Lord Jesus Christ's desire is that we be
      one, and everything that breaks unity and community, cannot be
      in keeping with theology or the will of God."

      * * *

      Army of Catholic Lay Evangelizers on the Offensive

      Program Makes Full-Time Catechists of Indians in Mexico

      MEXICO CITY, JULY 31, 2002 (Zenit.org).- With the canonization
      of Juan Diego, witness of the Guadalupe apparitions and an
      evangelizer of the Aztecs, John Paul II highlighted the role
      Indians have in proclaiming the Gospel.

      This is, in fact, the objective of the Full-Time Evangelizers
      program of Mexico and Central America, which trains and
      supports lay catechists, including many Indians.

      Alejandro Pinelo, director of the program, spoke with ZENIT
      about the program, which has 1,000 Indians dedicated full time
      to evangelization, and 35,000 part-timers.

      Q: When did you begin this initiative?

      Pinelo: In 1994 I began to dedicate myself to the formation of
      pastoral agents who are committed full time to evangelization in
      Mexico, El Salvador, Guatemala and Venezuela, through a
      program of formation that begins with five intensive weeks of
      study and prayer, and continues with one-week semester

      Q: How did the idea arise?

      Pinelo: Initially, the work was conceived for rural areas where
      priests cannot carry out all their activities because of the vast
      territorial expanse of Mexican parishes. Some have up to 20 or
      30 chapels. One can only respond with the laity to the great
      demand for formation, liturgical services, pre-sacramental
      courses and preparation of catechists.

      Q: The great majority of evangelizers are Indians. Today they
      have a saint who is very close to them.

      Pinelo: Indeed, many of them are bilingual, because in Mexico
      there is a great quantity of dialects and Indian languages. There
      are more than 27 different ones among our evangelizers and

      They are people as native as Juan Diego himself, with whom
      many of them identified with before he was beatified. The one
      who is now a saint is very much loved throughout Mexico. Now
      he will be able to be a more effective model and intercessor in
      the new evangelization.

      Q: Does this mean that they only work in rural areas?

      Pinelo: No. Our work is carried out both in cities as well as the
      country, wherever the bishop indicates a priority.

      Q: On which bishop does the program of evangelizers depend?

      Pinelo: On each one of the dioceses where we are invited. The
      one who requests and authorizes the program is the bishop.
      Often, it is he, himself, who brings together his priests to make a
      general presentation of the program. Each one of the parish
      priests chooses the candidates among those agents who
      already have three or more years of pastoral service.

      Following the example of Juan Diego Cuahutlatoatzin, we do
      what the bishop tells us, with the certainty that in doing so we
      please God and will attain excellence.

      Q: What is its specific charism? What is novel about the

      Pinelo: Apostolic effectiveness. We have St. Paul and St. Peter
      as patrons. The former enlightens us with his capacity of
      evangelizing work; the latter compels us to maintain unity around
      the Vicar of Christ, giving us the guarantee of going on the right

      St. Augustine advises paying attention to the road you take,
      because if you are mistaken, the more you run the farther away
      you are from the goal.

      We regard effectiveness as reaching the greatest number of
      brothers, in a profound way, in proclamation and formation, in
      the least time possible.

      Q: This sounds like business language.

      Pinelo: Yes. The fact is that the program is carried out by the laity,
      many of whom are professionals and, needless to say, we have
      wanted to put the best methodology at the service of the Church.
      The latest fashion in the 16th century was the printing press, and
      the Franciscans worked to bring it over; we use current tools.

      Q: How does the program work in practice?

      Pinelo: We give in-depth formation to full-time evangelizers so
      that they can form others who will be dedicated, even though part
      time, to catechesis, liturgy or human development. In this way,
      we have been able to prepare 35,000 part-time evangelizers.

      Q: Who accredits the formation of these agents?

      Pinelo: Our programs are based on the methodology of the
      pontifical School of Faith, a university institution directed by the
      Legionaries of Christ.

      Q: Who pays for the scholarships?

      Pinelo: They are paid for by committed laymen who finance the

      Q: Juan Diego's canonization is a very special moment for you.
      Have you prepared a special activity?

      Pinelo: Of course. We have been preparing ourselves for over a
      year. Twelve hundred of our evangelizers were able to attend the
      canonization in the basilica of Guadalupe, as the space was very
      limited, but almost all of them were on the streets.

      The congress we hold every two years, will take place on Aug. 2
      and 3. Obviously, on this occasion we have dedicated it to St.
      Juan Diego and the Virgin of Guadalupe as the first evangelizers
      of America. The motto is "Go out into the world and preach the

      A Spanish-language site at http://www.evangelizadores.org has
      more details about the Full-Time Evangelizers program.

      * * *

      Brother Pedro's Spirit Alive Among Poor of Antigua Guatemala

      Social Works Assist the Country's Marginalized Peoples

      GUATEMALA CITY, JULY 31, 2002 (Zenit.org).- Following the
      example of newly canonized Brother Pedro of San José de
      Betancur, Franciscan religious shelter over 500 people, the
      poorest of the poor, in Antigua Guatemala.

      The Franciscans assist people who have been abandoned
      because of physical or mental handicaps, including chronically
      malnourished children with cerebral paralysis, young people
      and adults with psychological problems, and elderly and blind
      people who are ignored by both private and public institutions.

      In 1980, the year John Paul II beatified Brother Pedro, Franciscan
      Guillermo Bonilla began Brother Pedro's Social Works in what
      was once St. Peter's Hospital, a colonial building remodeled in
      the 19th century. The building had been ceded to him for 40
      years, said Sister Teresa de Jesús Solis, the assistant director
      of the facility.

      Today Brother Pedro's Social Works offer a Nutritional Recovery
      Center for children with serious malnutrition; a home for
      children, youth and young women with cerebral paralysis; a
      home for adults with serious impediments, including the blind
      and invalid elderly; and a day-care center for children of single or
      working mothers.

      The Franciscans also have a hospital complete with operating
      rooms and clinical laboratories. In addition, there is a special
      school for children with serious difficulties; a shop with new and
      second-hand clothing, and temporary housing for relatives of
      patients recovering from surgery.

      According to a report of Brother Pedro's Works, over 46,000
      patients were treated in 1999.

      Their care entailed a variety of fields, including surgery,
      orthopedics, physiotherapy, geriatrics, gynecology, neurology,
      pediatrics, psychology, psychiatry and ophthalmology. Services --
      all funded through donations -- include electroencephalograms,
      electrocardiograms, X-rays, clinical laboratories, pharmacy,
      attention to patients' relatives, and speech therapy.

      Doctors from various parts of the world offer their services free to
      the Social Works. They include Americans, Canadians,
      Spaniards, Frenchmen and Guatemalans, Sister Solis

      Members of Students International, a group of volunteers,
      cooperate in the care of malnourished children.

      Typical among the malnourished children who seek help is
      Sergio. At 3 months of age he arrived from a village of Coban
      with a chronic pulmonary ailment, explained pediatrician Sandra

      Sergio's family is very poor and cannot visit him often, let alone
      look after him, Sister Solis explained. With treatment he has
      gradually improved, regaining his strength.

      More details are at http://www.obrashermanopedro.org

      * * *

      Guatemalan Plan to Halt Death Penalty Pleases Pope

      GUATEMALA CITY, JULY 31, 2002 (Zenit.org).- John Paul II is
      pleased by the Guatemalan president's proposal to abolish the
      death penalty, says Vatican spokesman Joaquín Navarro-Valls.

      "The Pope expressed his pleasure over the Guatemalan
      president's decision," Navarro-Valls told reporters, who asked
      about papal reaction to Alfonso Portillo's announcement to
      suspend the execution of condemned prisoners and to introduce
      legislation to abolish capital punishment.

      On Monday, before the Pope's arrival in Guatemala, President
      Portillo announced that he would suspend the execution of 36
      prisoners condemned to death.

      The same day, the government presented a draft law in
      Congress for abolition, which will be voted on within the next few
      days. The death sentence of the 36 prisoners could be
      commuted to 50-year prison terms.

      When Portillo first came to power, he ordered the execution of
      two prisoners, who were condemned to death for kidnapping
      and killing a businessman. Both were executed by lethal
      injection in June 2000.

      Last Saturday, the Guatemalan chief executive said that "the
      application of the death penalty was not dissuasive and did not
      succeed in diminishing violence."

      * * *

      Moscow Patriarchate Says Preaching by Catholics

      New Attack on Religious Liberty in Russia

      MOSCOW, JULY 31, 2002 (Zenit.org).- The Russian Orthodox
      Church has denied the Catholic Church the right "to preach the
      Gospel to all people," particularly in territories under the Moscow

      The patriarchate made that announcement through its
      Department for External Church Relations. The department
      published a statement after the Catholic Church responded to
      the agency's charges of "proselytism."

      The response forms part of the letters sent by Cardinal Walter
      Kasper, president of the Pontifical Council for Promoting
      Christian Unity, and Catholic Archbishop Tadeusz Kondrusiewicz
      at Moscow.

      The Orthodox patriarchate stated that in the letters, the "Catholic
      hierarchs insist on the right of their Church 'to preach the Gospel
      to all people.'" It adds, "This position is unacceptable for the
      Russian Orthodox Church."

      "From the experience of the last years, we know that by this they
      mean missionary work aiming to convert to Catholicism as many
      people as possible, including those who belong to Orthodoxy
      both by baptism and national and cultural tradition," the
      patriarchate's statement says.

      "All these facts not only complicate dialogue with the Vatican and
      its Church structures in Russia and other countries of the
      commonwealth, but also make it doomed to failure beforehand,"
      the document adds.

      "An even more serious damage to relations between the two
      Churches has been caused by the recent Vatican decision to
      establish new dioceses in historically Orthodox regions of
      Ukraine," it further states.

      The statement says: "No lesser concern is aroused by the plans
      of the leadership of the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church to
      move from Lviv to Kiev and establish their patriarchate there."

      The original accusations of proselytism were presented in a
      letter by Metropolitan Kirill of Smolensk and Kaliningrad,
      chairman of the patriarchate's Department for External Church

      Cardinal Kasper and Archbishop Kondrusiewicz said that the
      problem in the dispute consisted in defining the world

      Cardinal Kasper previously explained: "'If a women's religious
      congregation is called, for example, 'Missionaries of the Sacred
      Heart,' the fact that the name includes the term 'missionary' is
      not a proof for the accusation of proselytism. The Church itself is
      missionary, but it does not proselytize." (See Zenit.org)

      "There are many facts that are not convincing, and yet it is
      possible to engage in dialogue," the cardinal had added. "The
      Holy See's policy with the Russian Orthodox Church is clear: We
      want dialogue, we want collaboration, we reject proselytism, we
      want ecumenism, we want to promote the pastoral care of our

      The Holy See believes that the Orthodox refusal to allow the
      Catholic Church to have its own hierarchy in the country is a
      serious attack against religious liberty.

      In recent statements (see Zenit.org), Archbishop Jean-Louis
      Tauran, Vatican secretary for relations with states, reminded the
      Orthodox that this position is a violation of the final document of
      the 1989 Vienna Conference on Security and Cooperation in
      Europe, which the Russian Federation has followed.

      Then once inside click on

      The Mama Gili Guild was established several years ago to
      gather, collect, and publish information on Dolores Immacolata
      Gili (1892-1985) for an investigation into her cause as a Servant
      of God, as well as to promote her cause and to perpetuate her
      cult by directing prayer groups assembled in her honor. It has
      continuously enjoyed the ecclesiastical approval of Theodore
      Cardinal McCarrick, and the Most Reverend John Joseph Myers,
      Archbishop of Newark, New Jersey.

      Call or write today to:

      Rev. Dante Dante DiGirolamo, Director
      © Copyright 2002 John