Volume 2, No. 141

  • jlupia2
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2002

      TUESDAY 2 July 2002

      * * *

      WEAR THE BROWN SCAPULAR OF OUR LADY OF MOUNT
      CARMEL AND PRAY THE ROSARY DAILY FOR THE
      CONVERSION OF THE WHOLE WORLD AND FOR CHURCH
      UNITY

      • Sunday's Angelus Address on Incessant Prayer
      • Ecumenical Talks Must Go Forward, Pope Insists
      • Dominicans See Their First Priestly Ordination in Post-Soviet
      Kiev
      • STS. PETER AND PAUL: ANGELUS, ECUMENICAL
      DELEGATION AND MASS
      • ANGELUS: I ALWAYS NEED YOUR PRAYERS, SAYS THE
      POPE
      • POPE WELCOMES FAMILIES OF NEW METROPOLITAN
      ARCHBISHOPS
      • HOLY FATHER'S PRAYER INTENTIONS FOR JULY
      • AUDIENCES
      • OTHER PONTIFICAL ACTS
      • HOW TO POST A QUESTION TO THE CATHOLIC REFERENCE
      DESK AND HOW TO SUBMIT AN ARTICLE FOR PUBLICATION
      • EUCHARISTIC PRAYER IN HONOR OF THE SORROWFUL
      HEART OF MARY

      Sunday's Angelus Address on Incessant Prayer

      John Paul II Makes a Personal Petition

      VATICAN CITY, JULY 1, 2002 (Zenit.org).- Here is a translation of
      John Paul II's address on Sunday to pilgrims gathered in St.
      Peter's Square.

      Dear Brothers and Sisters!

      1. Yesterday we celebrated the feast of the Holy Apostles Peter
      and Paul, whom the Church of Rome venerates as its principal
      patrons. In this special circumstance I perceived, as Peter's
      Successor, the profound solidarity of the whole ecclesial
      community. I recalled the words of the Book of Acts of the
      Apostles: "Peter thus was being kept in prison, but prayer by the
      church was fervently being made to God on his behalf" (Acts
      12:5). Yes, I have felt around me the intense prayer of the whole
      Church, and because of this I wish to express to all today my
      cordial gratitude.

      2. Indeed, every day I feel my ministry is sustained by the
      incessant prayer of the People of God: of many persons who are
      unknown to me, but who are so close to my heart, who offer their
      prayers and sacrifices to the Lord, for the intentions of the Pope.
      At times of greatest difficulty and suffering, this spiritual force is a
      valid help and profound consolation.

      I always need your prayer, dear faithful of Rome and of the whole
      world! In fact, without it, how could I respond to the word of the
      Lord who commands Simon Peter: "Duc in altum!" "Put out into
      the deep!" (Luke 5:4)?

      3. After overcoming multiple trials, even mortal ones, with the
      help of God, Peter and Paul carried to fulfillment their apostolic
      mission in this city of ours, where so many vestiges recall their
      memory.

      4. Encouraged by their witness, let us renew the commitment to
      remain united in prayer, as one heart and one soul. Mary Most
      Holy, the Mother of the Lord and of every Christian, prays together
      with us, as in the first community of Jerusalem. To her, model of
      the praying Church, we confidently address ourselves.

      [After praying the Angelus, the Pope added:]

      I greet the pilgrims present with affection, especially the youths
      of the parish of Carate Brianza, accompanied by the parish priest
      and the catechists. May the visit to the tombs of the Apostles
      Peter and Paul help you in the way of faith and Christian witness.

      The month of June, dedicated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus,
      ends today. May his immense love be a source of peace for
      every man and for the whole world!

      I wish everyone a happy Sunday and a serene summer.

      * * *

      Ecumenical Talks Must Go Forward, Pope Insists

      Receives Delegation of Constantinople Patriarchate

      VATICAN CITY, JULY 1, 2002 (Zenit.org).- John Paul II told a
      visiting Orthodox delegation that the theological dialogue
      between Rome and Constantinople must move forward, despite
      the slow progress.

      Reviewing the theological dialogue that began in 1979 between
      the two Churches, the Pope said progress seems slow on the
      ecumenical road, but that does not rule out the hope for unity in
      the future.

      The Holy Father made his evaluation Saturday to a delegation
      from the Orthodox Patriarchate which was visiting the Vatican to
      celebrate the solemnity of the Sts. Peter and Paul. The traditional
      visit is returned by the Roman Church on Nov. 30, when a
      Vatican delegation goes to Istanbul, Turkey, to celebrate the
      feast of St. Andrew.

      "Despite our efforts, this dialogue marks our pace; we see our
      impotence to overcome the divisions and find in ourselves the
      strength to look with hope to the future," the Holy Father said.

      "This delicate phase must not discourage us," he added. "[We]
      cannot accept this state of affairs with indifference. ... We cannot
      refuse to continue the theological dialogue, an indispensable
      step toward unity."

      The Holy Father reminded his listeners that this is an objective
      that in the course of the year the two Christian families have
      worked on, with common direction and determination, through
      important initiatives, beginning with the Day of Prayer in Assisi
      up to and including the recent Declaration of Venice on
      protection of the environment, signed by John Paul II and
      Patriarch Bartholomew I.

      Much "still remains to be done," especially in view of the effort to
      reinforce or bring peace to various parts of the world, including
      the Holy Land.

      To change the world, "we must join forces, be together, act
      together," Peter's Successor said. A "dialogue in charity" must
      support and nourish the "dialogue in truth," that is, the
      commitment to overcome theological obstacles that still divide
      the two Churches, he concluded.

      * * *

      Dominicans See Their First Priestly Ordination in Post-Soviet
      Kiev

      KIEV, Ukraine, JULY 1, 2002 (Zenit.org).- A Dominican deacon
      was ordained to the priesthood over the weekend, the order's
      first such ceremony here since the fall of the Communist regime.

      Angelic Kitsula, from western Ukraine, was ordained Saturday in
      the Latin-rite Cathedral of St. Alexander by Bishop Jan Purwinski
      of the Diocese Kiev-Zhytomyr. Father Kitsula had studied in
      Warsaw and Krakow, Poland.

      The friars of the Order of Preachers came to Kiev within a few
      years of the establishment of their preaching community in 1216.
      They were led by St. Hyacinth, from Kracow, one of the disciples
      of St. Dominic. Their mission was endorsed by a 1234 bull of
      Pope Gregory IX, dedicated to the friars "going to Rus and
      pagans."

      St. Alexander Parish, where the ordination took place, shared the
      fate of its Latin-rite diocese under the Soviet regime. In 1937, the
      KGB murdered the pastor, closed the parish and remodeled the
      church. The sanctuary was returned to Roman Catholics in
      1991, after the establishment of the Ukrainian independent
      state.

      The local community headed by their pastor, Father Jan Krapan
      from Latvia, and assisted financially by German funds such as
      Renovabis and Aid to the Church in Need, started to renovate the
      church.

      * * *

      STS. PETER AND PAUL: ANGELUS, ECUMENICAL
      DELEGATION AND MASS

      VATICAN CITY, JUN 29, 2002 (VIS) - At midday today, the
      Solemnity of Sts. Peter and Paul, Apostles, patrons of the city of
      Rome, John Paul II appeared at the window of his private study
      overlooking St. Peter's Square in order to pray the Angelus with
      the faithful present.

      The Pope said that on this day which is "so significant," he was
      thinking about "the faithful of the dioceses of Rome and those
      who live in our city. While I congratulate all those who are named
      Peter and Paul, I invoke the celestial patrons for peace and
      Christian prosperity."

      At 1 p.m., the Pope received in audience, as is tradition on this
      day, a delegation from the Ecumenical Patriarchate of
      Constantinople, headed by the metropolitan of Belgium and
      exarch of the Netherlands and Luxembourg, His Eminence
      Panteleimon, with Bishop Emmanuel of Reghion and Deacon
      Stephanos.

      In his speech in French, the Holy Father recalled that during
      this year "the Lord has given us an occasion to show to the world
      our common will to search for and travel the paths that bring us
      to unity, to direct a call of peace to humanity and fraternity, in
      mutual respect, justice and charity."

      "I desire to renew today to the Ecumenical Patriarch, His
      Holiness Bartholomew I," he continued, "the expression of my
      deep gratitude for their fraternal participation in the World Day of
      Prayer for Peace in Assisi."

      John Paul II emphasized that "there still remains a lot to do so
      that a better fraternity may reign on the planet. The desire for
      vengeance overtakes peace frequently, especially in the Holy
      Land and in other regions of the world affected by blind violence;
      this makes us feel the precariousness of peace that requires us
      to unite our strengths and to act together so that the world finds
      in our common testimony the necessary strength to accomplish
      the changes that are necessary. This way of collaboration will
      carry us to full communion, according to the will of Christ for his
      disciples."

      At 6 p.m. in St. Peter's Square, the Pope presided at a
      Eucharistic celebration during which he blessed and imposed
      the pallium upon 28 metropolitan archbishops appointed in the
      last year and coming from 17 countries. The delegation of the
      patriarch of Constantinople was present, headed by Metropolitan
      Panteleimon and a delegation of the patriarch of Bulgaria,
      headed by His Eminence Simeon, metropolitan for Western and
      Central Europe.

      In his homily, the Pope affirmed that "the Church celebrates
      today with joy the memory of Peter and Paul. The 'Rock' and the
      'Chosen instrument' found themselves definitively here in Rome.
      In this place they carried out the apostolic ministry, marking it
      with their bloodshed. The itinerary mystery of faith and love that
      drove Peter and Paul to Jerusalem from the land of their birth,
      and to other parts of the world and finally to Rome, constitutes in
      a certain sense a model of the journey that all Christians are
      called to make in order to give testimony to Christ in the world."

      "The Church is continually being put to the test. The message
      that it always received from the holy apostles Peter and Paul is
      clear and eloquent: through the grace of God, in all
      circumstances, it is possible for man to be a sign of the
      victorious power of God. For this reason, he should not be afraid.
      Whoever trusts in God, is freed from all fear and experiences the
      consoling presence of the Spirit also, especially in moments of
      trial and sorrow."

      While addressing in particular the 28 metropolitan
      archbishops, the Holy Father said: "The special bond with the
      Apostolic See, that this liturgical sign (the pallium) expresses,
      serves as a stimulus for a greater commitment to the search for
      spiritual and pastoral communion for the benefit of the faithful,
      fostering in them a sense of unity and the universality of the
      Church.

      * * *

      ANGELUS: I ALWAYS NEED YOUR PRAYERS, SAYS THE POPE

      VATICAN CITY, JUN 30, 2002 (VIS) - At midday today, John Paul II
      appeared at the window of his study overlooking St. Peter's
      Square in order to pray the Angelus with pilgrims.

      Recalling the celebration on June 29 of the feast of Sts. Peter
      and Paul, patrons of the Church of Rome, the Pope said that on
      this special occasion he had pointed out, "as the successor of
      Peter, the profound solidarity of the entire ecclesiastical
      community" and that, for this reason, he wanted to thank
      everyone.

      "In effect," he continued, "I feel every day that my ministry is
      sustained by the incessant prayer of the people of God, of so
      many people that I do not know - but who are very close to my
      heart - who offer their prayers and sacrifices to the Lord for the
      intentions of the Pope. In moments of great difficulty and
      suffering, this spiritual strength is an immense help and an
      intimate consolation."

      "I always need your prayers, dear faithful of Rome and of the
      entire world! How could I respond without them to the word of the
      Lord that Simon Peter sends: ... Put out into the deep!

      The Holy Father concluded by recalling that Sts. Peter and St.
      Paul, "after overcoming many trials, including mortal ones, with
      the help of God, carried out His mission in this city where so
      many ruins preserve their memory."

      * * *

      POPE WELCOMES FAMILIES OF NEW METROPOLITAN
      ARCHBISHOPS

      VATICAN CITY, JUL 1, 2002 (VIS) - Pope John Paul this morning
      welcomed 1,000 relatives and friends of the 28 new metropolitan
      archbishops from five continents on whom he had bestowed the
      pallium on June 29, the solemnity of Sts. Peter and Paul.

      He addressed them in the Paul VI Hall in the languages
      spoken by the new metropolitans: Italian, French, English,
      Spanish, Portuguese, Russian and Polish. He asked that the
      various dioceses represented by the new archbishops "always
      distinguish themselves by an intense and effective spirit of
      communion."

      The Holy Father remarked to the English-speaking
      archbishops, representing Newark, Madang, Visakhapatnam,
      Cardiff, Adelaide, Kumasi, New Orleans, Glasgow, Calcutta and
      Kingston, that their "presence is an eloquent sign of the
      universality of the Church, and a powerful witness to the
      communion through which the Church lives and fulfills her
      saving mission."

      The Pope told the Spanish-speaking prelates that he hoped
      that, "vested with the pallium, sign of a special tie of communion
      with the See of Peter, you can be lively witnesses to the faith and
      bearers of the hope in the Risen Christ and the particular
      churches that have been entrusted to you."

      John Paul II asked the new metropolitans "to always be
      passionate servants of the unity of the Church." He urged the
      faithful to always "know how to collaborate with (the bishops) so
      that every ecclesial community will live and work with only one
      heart and one soul."

      * * *

      HOLY FATHER'S PRAYER INTENTIONS FOR JULY

      VATICAN CITY, JUL 1, 2002 (VIS) - The Holy Father's general
      intention for July is: "That artists may do all they can to help the
      men and women of today to rediscover the signs of God's
      providential love in creation."

      The Holy Father's mission intention for the month of July is:
      "That the Christians of India may not be prevented from publicly
      professing their faith and freely announcing the Gospel."

      VATICAN CITY, JUL 1, 2002 (VIS) - Today the Holy Father
      received in separate audiences:

      - Four prelates from the Episcopal Conference of Peru on their
      "ad limina" visit:
      - Bishop Jose Ramon Gurruchaga Ezama of Lurin.
      - Bishop Elio Alevi Perez Tapia, prelate of Juli.
      - Bishop Antonio Santarsiero, prelate of Huari.
      - Bishop Jose Luis Astigarraga Lizarralde, apostolic vicar of
      Yurimaguas.
      - Archbishop Antonio Jose Lopez Castillo of Calabozo,
      Venezuela accompanied by Archbishop Helimenas de Jesus
      Rojo Paredes, emeritus, on their "ad limina" visit.

      VATICAN CITY, JUL 1, 2002 (VIS) - The Holy Father:

      - Accepted the resignation from the office of auxiliary of the
      Archdiocese of Newark, U.S.A., presented by Bishop Dominic
      Anthony Marconi, upon having reached the age limit.

      - Accepted the resignation from the pastoral care of the
      Archdiocese of Freiburg im Breisgua, Germany, presented by
      Archbishop Oskar Saier in accordance with Canon 401, para. 2
      of the Code of Canon Law.

      Roman catholic News is very happy to announce new exciting
      links available to you, our fine subscribers. Some links require
      Realplayer a software program that allows you to see live
      television and hear audio recordings as well as listen to live
      radio. The software is free. To obtain your free copy go to EWTN
      Live TV and Radio on the link below and scroll down until you
      find the Download Free RealPlayer link and click it on.

      2. Live EWTN TV and Radio
      http://www.ewtn.com/audiovideo/index.htm

      • Live EWTN TV - Spanish • Catholic World Today Radio
      • Audio of Pope's Wednesday Audience • Radio Catolica Mundial
      • Audio of EWTN's The World Over • Mother Angelica Live (Video)
      • The Journey Home (Video) • EWTN Religious Catalogue (Video)

      Send EWTN donations online:
      https://www.ewtn.com/ewtn/ssl/donation/donation_ewtn.asp

      http://www.nccbuscc.org/nab/070202.htm

      http://www.universalis.com/cgi-bin/display/-600/USA/Readings.html

      http://www.monksofadoration.org/audiolit.html

      http://www.rosaryhour.net/ra/program.ram

      http://www.monksofadoration.org/rosarych.html

      DOWNLOAD FREE SCRIPTURAL ROSARY
      http://www.virtualrosary.org/

      http://www.suba.com/~gunkel/divinemercy/dmvirtchap.htm

      * * *

      8. BIOGRAPHY OF MAMA GILI WITH PHOTO
      http://www.holyfaceofjesus.com/mama.html
      Then once inside click on
      PRAYER FOR THE BEATIFICATION OF MAMA GILI

      The Mama Gili Guild was established several years ago to
      gather, collect, and publish information on Dolores Immacolata
      Gili (1892-1985) for an investigation into her cause as a Servant
      of God, as well as to promote her cause and to perpetuate her
      cult by directing prayer groups assembled in her honor. It has
      continuously enjoyed the ecclesiastical approval of Theodore
      Cardinal McCarrick, and the Most Reverend John Joseph Myers,
      Archbishop of Newark, New Jersey.

      Call or write today regarding favors granted through the
      intercession of Dolores Immacolata "Mama" Gili, or, for more
      information about the cause of her investigation for canonization to:

      HOW TO POST A QUESTION TO THE CATHOLIC REFERENCE
      DESK AND HOW TO SUBMIT AN ARTICLE FOR PUBLICATION

      Roman Catholic News is currently ranked 15 of 809 Catholic
      Yahoo groups, with over 500 subscriptions, and growing steadily
      on a daily basis. Your membership as a subscriber is important
      to us and helps us grow in numbers which prompts us to
      improve our services. Please spread the word that a Catholic
      clergy run Catholic News group and Reference Desk are
      available that keeps you informed on all the activities of Pope
      John Paul II, the Holy See, the Roman Curia, Catholic doctrine,
      critical world news, biblical studies, and its Catholic Reference
      Desk answers questions you post. When posting questions
      please place in the subject field of your email "Reference Desk".
      Emails can be sent to either Roman-Catholic-News
      owner@yahoogroups.com, or to jlupia2@.... Articles
      written by professional and scholarly authors can also be sent to
      the email addresses above for consideration in a future issue.
      Authors should keep in mind that Roman Catholic News is a
      not-for-profit organization and considers publishing articles
      without paying any monetary compensation to authors. All
      materials submitted and published are copyright protected in
      accordance to the latest ruling from the Office of Copyright,
      Library of Congress, Washington, D.C. Your subscription is
      important to us. Welcome to Roman Catholic News. Tell a friend.

      * * *

      EUCHARISTIC PRAYER IN HONOR OF THE SORROWFUL
      HEART OF MARY

      "Eternal Father, through the Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of
      Mary, I offer you the crucified Body of Your dearly beloved Son,
      Jesus Christ, in reparation for all the sins committed against you
      and for the conversion and salvation of the whole world."

      "Eternal Father, through the Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of
      Mary, I offer you the precious Blood of Your dearly beloved Son,
      Jesus Christ, in reparation for all the sins committed against you
      and for the conversion and salvation of the whole world."

      approaches unity among all Christians of the various
      confessions will increase until they reach full communion." John
      Paul II, Tertio Millennio Adveniente, 16

      clinging to her robes while walking down a dusty and busy
      crowded street and you'll always be safe."

      To gain access to all of the Roman Catholic News archives go to
      the URL:

      There are four ways to access archived articles: (1) Go to the
      Home Page panel on the far left and click on the word
      "Messages" just below the word "Home"; (2) then click on the
      articles posted by date; (3) or click on the blue Arabic numerals
      in the box for the month in the yearly calendar window at the
      bottom of the page; (4) or type in a keyword in the long
      rectangular white box alongside the long rectangular button that
      reads SEARCH ARCHIVE, and then click that button.

      unless specified otherwise. All articles from VIS, VID, Zenit ,
      Associated Press (AP), Reuters, and Noticias Eclesiales are
      republished by approval and courtesy of these news agencies.
      We encourage our readers to send financial support to Zenit, a
      private news organization in Rome. Zenit (http://www.zenit.org),
      VIS (V.I.S. - Vatican Information Service) Zenit , Associated Press
      (AP), Reuters, (VID) Vidimus Dominum, and Noticias Eclesiales
      own the original copyright for their news releases as credited. All
      copyright materials copied in any form must include the
      appropriate copyright owner; for Roman Catholic News use our
      URL as follows:
      correspondence should be sent to: