Volume 2, No. 101

  • jlupia2
    Message 1 of 1 , May 6, 2002

      MONDAY 6 May, 2002

      * * *

      WEAR THE BROWN SCAPULAR OF OUR LADY OF MOUNT
      CARMEL AND PRAY THE ROSARY DAILY FOR THE
      CONVERSION OF THE WHOLE WORLD AND FOR CHURCH
      UNITY

      • John Paul II Visits Italian Island, the First of Series of Apostolic
      Trips
      • Pope Again Calls for Prayers for Holy Land
      • Pope Sends Greetings as East Celebrates Easter
      • Moscow Patriarch Delivers His Easter Message
      • Father Luigi Sturzo: A Study in Political Charity
      • Cardinal Law Promises a Fair Solution After Rejection of
      Settlement
      • Liberian Archbishop Mediates Release of Human Rights
      Lawyer
      • HOW TO POST A QUESTION TO THE CATHOLIC REFERENCE
      DESK AND HOW TO SUBMIT AN ARTICLE FOR PUBLICATION
      • EUCHARISTIC PRAYER IN HONOR OF THE SORROWFUL
      HEART OF MARY

      John Paul II Visits Italian Island, the First of Series of Apostolic
      Trips

      Hails Hospitality of Ischia

      ISCHIA, Italy, MAY 5, 2002 (Zenit.org).- John Paul II traveled today
      to the Mediterranean island of Ischia, across from Naples, the
      first of a series of upcoming trips in the months ahead.

      The Pope presided over a Mass attended by some 15,000
      faithful, and later met with 8,000 young people. On an island
      long-known for its thermal waters, the Holy Father praised the
      Christian value of hospitality.

      The Holy Father invited Ischia´s Christians to make of their
      island "a special laboratory of that typical hospitality that Christ´s
      disciples are called to offer to all, regardless of the country or
      culture to which they belong."

      "When we feel loved, we feel more easily impelled to love," John
      Paul II said during the homily. "When we experience the love of
      God, we are more willing to follow the One who loved his
      disciples ´to the end,´ namely, to giving himself completely."

      "This is the love that humanity needs perhaps more than ever,
      because love alone is credible," the Pope continued, speaking
      from an altar placed at the foot of the imposing Aragonese
      castle, which dates back to 1447. "Unbreakable faith in this love
      has inspired in Jesus´ disciples at all times thoughts of peace,
      opening wide horizons of forgiveness and concord."

      The island gave the Pope a warm welcome during his 142nd
      pastoral visit in Italy. Ischia´s Ponte Square overflowed with the
      faithful; many more followed the Mass from about 600 small
      boats just offshore.

      The trip´s organizers, including Bishop Filipo Strofaldi,
      suggested that the Pope stay for a few days to rest and recover
      more rapidly from the arthrosis in his right knee, which has
      caused him trouble since February. The Holy Father was unable
      to accept the invitation given his tight schedule.

      Ischiamondo, the local newspaper, ran the headline: "Holy
      Father, Come to Heal Your Ailing Knee Here."

      After dining with area bishops, John Paul II met with 8,000 young
      people in the area in front of a small church. The Pope told them
      that he hoped to see them in Toronto for World Youth Day.

      In his address, John Paul II mentioned the motto of World Youth
      Day, "You are the salt of the earth ... You are the light of the
      world."

      He also exhorted the youths to give "taste and beauty to life," and
      to show "with concrete actions and the conviction of words that it
      is worthwhile to live and to live together the love that Jesus came
      to reveal to us and to give us."

      John Paul II then encouraged his listeners to be the "light of the
      world," to spread the light of Christ in every realm, "especially
      where he is not known or loved, or even rejected."

      "Make them understand with your life that the light that comes
      from above does not destroy what is human; on the contrary, it
      exalts it, like the sun that highlights shapes and colors with its
      brilliance," the Pope said. "God is not man´s competitor, but his
      real friend, his most loyal ally."

      The youth responded with a song composed for the occasion:
      "Go on, Pope, Go on; Walk with Us."

      The Pope arrived and returned to the Vatican in an Italian army
      helicopter. The trip, and long public engagements, appeared to
      put the Pontiff´s stamina to the test.

      John Paul II is scheduled to travel to Azerbaijan and Bulgaria
      from May 22-26. He will fly to Canada at the end of July for World
      Youth Day, and then to Guatemala and Mexico. He is due to visit
      Poland in August.

      * * *

      Pope Again Calls for Prayers for Holy Land

      Progress Reported to End Basilica Siege

      ISCHIA, Italy, MAY 5, 2002 (Zenit.org).- John Paul II reiterated his
      call for prayers for the Holy Land, as progress was reported on
      an end to the basilica siege in Bethlehem.

      "I always carry in my heart the difficult situations in which not a
      few peoples of the world find themselves," the Holy Father said
      at the end of the Mass he celebrated on the island of Ischia, near
      Naples.

      "I wish to present to the Virgin the petition for security and peace
      that arises ceaselessly from so many parts, especially from the
      Holy Land," he said before he led the faithful in praying the
      midday Regina Caeli. "I invite you to pray with me to Our Lady so
      that these sorrowful invocations will be fulfilled."

      Meanwhile, Father Ibrahim Faltas, the superior of the Franciscan
      Monastery of Bethlehem´s Basilica of the Nativity, reported
      progress in talks aimed at ending the monthlong siege. He had
      left the compound this morning.

      "Everyone is saying that the crisis will be resolved within the next
      few hours," he said. The Franciscan had been confined to the
      basilica since April 2, when over 200 Palestinians, many of them
      armed, invaded the church, and the Israeli army began the
      siege.

      Father Faltas said that Cardinal Roger Etchegaray, special papal
      envoy to the Holy Land, is working toward for a settlement. The
      religious were encouraged when they learned that the cardinal
      has decided "that he will not leave the Holy Land until an
      agreement is reached."

      * * *

      Pope Sends Greetings as East Celebrates Easter

      ISCHIA, Italy, MAY 5, 2002 (Zenit.org).- John Paul II sent special
      greetings to Eastern Christians, who today celebrated Christ´s
      resurrection.

      "My thoughts go to our Eastern brothers, who today celebrate,
      according to their calendar, the feast of Easter," the Pope said to
      the 15,000 faithful gathered on the island of Ischia to attend
      Mass.

      Orthodox Churches, as well as Catholic Churches of Eastern
      tradition, celebrate Easter according to the Julian calendar.

      In the past, John Paul II expressed the hope that the various
      Christian confessions will come to an agreement on a single
      date for the celebration of Easter.

      John Paul II said today that, with "all our heart, we unite
      ourselves to their exultation over the resurrection of Christ,
      praying to our common Lord so that Christians may experience
      soonest the joy of full unity."

      * * *

      Moscow Patriarch Delivers His Easter Message

      Putin Participates in 4-Hour Divine Liturgy

      MOSCOW, MAY 5, 2002 (Zenit.org).- On a day when the Orthodox
      celebrate Easter, the patriarch of Moscow encouraged the faithful
      to hope in the resurrection of Christ.

      Russian President Vladimir Putin and several Ministers of his
      government attended the Easter Divine Liturgy, celebrated today
      by Patriarch Alexy II in Moscow´s Cathedral of Christ the Savior.

      In addition to Putin and his wife, the religious ceremony was
      attended by Serguei Ivanov, Defense Minister; Vice Prime
      Minister Valentina Matvienko; Serguei Mironov, president of the
      Council of the Federation (Parliament´s upper chamber); and
      Yuri Ludkov, mayor of Moscow.

      The four-hour Liturgy was transmitted live on Russian television.

      In his Easter message, Patriarch Alexy II said that "all is viewed
      differently" in the light of Christ´s resurrection.

      "Illumined by the light of the resurrection of Christ, the cross that
      each of us bears in following the Lord becomes lighter -- the
      cross of everyday cares, infirmities, worries and troubles, the
      cross of ministering to our neighbors," the patriarch explained.

      "Today, as in the first centuries of Christianity, those who do not
      know Christ are entering his Church and come into the wisdom
      of truth," Patriarch Alexis II continued. "And we are commanded
      by the Apostle to be called to account for our faith with
      gentleness and reverence."

      After inviting his listeners to study "the great spiritual treasury of
      our holy Orthodox faith," the patriarch reminded them that
      "Orthodox Christianity has and always will bring to people
      goodness and peace, joy and love."

      "In fulfilling our duty to serve the Church of God, let us tirelessly
      combat evil which is active in the world -- the rebellion against
      the truth of Christ, the cult of violence and sin, criminality and
      immorality, greed for gain and the worship of material wealth,"
      the patriarch stressed.

      "Let us follow the Savior´s commandment to make common
      cause in caring for the infirm and those who suffer, especially
      our elderly citizens, refugees and invalids, and children deprived
      of the love of their parents," Patriarch Alexis II added.

      "In searching for solutions to the global problems that threaten
      us all -- the growth of terrorism, international and social enmity --
      our holy Church is prepared to take a most active part," he said.

      "We are open to cooperation with all those who strive toward the
      goal of a world ruled not by pride and hatred, not money and
      goods, not ambitions and ill will, but accord, self-sacrifice,
      righteousness and love," he added.

      President Putin also addressed an Easter message to his
      countrymen, reminding them that for "millions of Russians,
      Easter is a particularly important and joyful event" which
      evidences "the growing positive influence of the Russian
      Orthodox Church and of other traditional confessions in our
      country and in the life of society."

      "I am convinced that, relying on a unique moral and cultural
      heritage we will be able to preserve and increase the spiritual
      richness of our people in order to transform Russia into a
      prosperous state," said the presidential statement, which was
      published Saturday.

      * * *

      Father Luigi Sturzo: A Study in Political Charity

      Process of Beatification Opens for Founder of Popular Party

      ROME, MAY 5, 2002 (Zenit.org).- The diocesan phase of the
      process of beatification of Father Luigi Sturzo (1871-1959),
      founder of the Italian Popular Party, has opened officially in
      Rome.

      "To take seriously" the teachings of Father Sturzo would avoid
      the rebirth of fundamentalism and political binges, as well as
      spiritualism that tends to demonize politics, said Bishop Michele
      Pennisi of Piazza Armerina. The bishop is president of the
      historical commission for the process.

      The opening ceremony of the process of beatification took place
      Friday in the Lateran Apostolic Palace, headquarters of the
      administrative offices of the Diocese of Rome.

      Bishop Pennisi highlighted Father Sturzo´s "political charity,"
      which continues to be relevant "at a time when we witness the
      rejection of political participation, especially among youth, as
      well as a crisis of the spirit of solidarity among individuals,
      classes and nations."

      Father Sturzo regarded the introduction of "charity in political life"
      as a mission. He had the conviction that "Christian charity cannot
      be reduced to welfare or aid, but must be the soul of the reform
      of modern democratic society, in which people are called to
      participate responsibly to realize the common good," Bishop
      Pennisi said.

      In his early years of priesthood, Luigi Sturzo was actively
      committed to the promotion of Pope Leo XIII´s teachings on
      labor in the 1891 encyclical "Rerum Novarum."

      In 1919, in circumstances that were exceptional for a priest and
      in face of the exclusion of Catholics from democracy (imposed
      by the creation of the Italian Republic) and the Fascist threat,
      Father Sturzo founded the Italian Popular Party, "lay and
      non-confessional," which was rooted in the Christian view of
      man.

      The Popular Party for years was one of the few forces capable of
      opposing Benito Mussolini´s Fascism. In 1924, at the request of
      the Holy See, Father Sturzo resigned as party secretary. He was
      asked to concentrate his energy on ethical and spiritual advice to
      politicians.

      In face of serious Fascist threats to his life, he was sent by the
      Holy See to London in 1924.

      When World War II broke out, Father Sturzo had to leave London.
      He sought refuge in New York, where he arrived Oct. 3, 1940. He
      was in the United States for six years and founded the American
      People and Freedom association for Catholics.

      Upon returning to Italy at the end of the war, he learned that the
      party he founded had evolved and was renamed Christian
      Democracy. Father Sturzo refused to re-enter politics, despite
      being named senator-for-life by President Luigi Einaudi in
      December 1952. Father Sturzo died in Rome on Aug. 8, 1959.

      * * *

      Cardinal Law Promises a Fair Solution After Rejection of
      Settlement

      BOSTON, Massachusetts, MAY 5, 2002 (Zenit.org).- Cardinal
      Bernard Law said he would seek a fair solution for 86 alleged
      victims of sexual abuse after the Boston Archdiocese withdrew
      from a legal settlement in the case, press reports said.

      Speaking today at the Cathedral of the Holy Cross, the cardinal
      said the archdiocese´s Finance Council had turned down the
      settlement because of concern about the rising number of
      victims and the Church´s shrinking resources, the Associated
      Press reported.

      Cardinal Law said the number of additional sexual abuse claims
      against priests and the archdiocese had recently grown to 150
      from 30, AP reported.

      "I trust you can understand the disappointment, the anger and
      even the sense of fresh betrayal which may be in the hearts of
      the 86 persons," the cardinal said. "Nonetheless, I pray that, as
      time goes on, they may be willing to help in the framing of a
      wider settlement which can include the victims who have only
      recently come forward."

      Advisers on the Finance Council refused Friday to approve a
      settlement worth an estimated $15 million to $30 million with 86
      people who have accused former priest John Geoghan of sexual
      abuse. Geoghan is now serving a nine- to 10-year prison term
      for abusing a boy.

      * * *

      Liberian Archbishop Mediates Release of Human Rights Lawyer

      MONROVIA, Liberia, MAY 5, 2002 (Zenit.org).- Renowned human
      rights lawyer Tiawan Gongloe, arrested and tortured by the
      police last week, was released after mediation efforts by
      Archbishop Michael Francis of Monrovia.

      "I am happy I am alive. I was close to death during that one night
      in police detention," Gongloe said, according to an All Africa
      report.

      Gongloe arrested April 24 by police and questioned about a
      speech he made in March at a conference in Guinea on peace in
      the Mano River Union, condemning violence as a means of state
      power. On the same day of his arrest, The Analyst newspaper,
      which had reported on his speech, was ordered to close down.

      Gongloe said two police officers beat and kicked him throughout
      the night, causing him to suffer some hearing loss, a bruised
      eye and other injuries.

      Lawyers who learned his condition pressured the police to
      hospitalize Gongloe. He was then taken to a hospital in
      Monrovia.

      The government warned that Gongloe may still be subject to
      further investigation. A number of arrests have followed the state
      of emergency imposed Feb. 8.

      Roman catholic News is very happy to announce new exciting
      links available to you, our fine subscribers. Some links require
      Realplayer a software program that allows you to see live
      television and hear audio recordings as well as listen to live
      radio. The software is free. To obtain your free copy go to EWTN
      Live TV and Radio on the link below and scroll down until you
      find the Download Free RealPlayer link and click it on.

      2. Live EWTN TV and Radio
      http://www.ewtn.com/audiovideo/index.htm

      • Live EWTN TV - Spanish • Catholic World Today Radio
      • Audio of Pope's Wednesday Audience • Radio Catolica Mundial
      • Audio of EWTN's The World Over • Mother Angelica Live (Video)
      • The Journey Home (Video) • EWTN Religious Catalogue (Video)

      Send EWTN donations online:
      https://www.ewtn.com/ewtn/ssl/donation/donation_ewtn.asp

      http://www.nccbuscc.org/nab/050602.htm

      http://www.universalis.com/cgi-bin/display/-600/USA/Readings.html

      http://www.monksofadoration.org/audiolit.html

      * * *

      5. English and Polish-speaking radio retreats Fr. Justin
      Rosary Hour http://www.RosaryHour.net

      Polish Rosary Hour by the Conventual Franciscans
      http://www.rosaryhour.net/ra/program.ram

      http://www.monksofadoration.org/rosarych.html

      DOWNLOAD FREE SCRIPTURAL ROSARY
      http://www.virtualrosary.org/

      http://www.suba.com/~gunkel/divinemercy/dmvirtchap.htm

      * * *

      8. BIOGRAPHY OF MAMA GILI WITH PHOTO
      http://www.holyfaceofjesus.com/mama.html
      Then once inside click on
      PRAYER FOR THE BEATIFICATION OF MAMA GILI

      The Mama Gili Guild was established several years ago to
      gather, collect, and publish information on Dolores Immacolata
      Gili (1892-1985) for an investigation into her cause as a Servant
      of God, as well as to promote her cause and to perpetuate her
      cult by directing prayer groups assembled in her honor. It has
      continuously enjoyed the ecclesiastical approval of Theodore
      Cardinal McCarrick, and the Most Reverend John Joseph Myers,
      Archbishop of Newark, New Jersey.

      Call or write today regarding favors granted through the
      intercession of Dolores Immacolata "Mama" Gili, or, for more
      information about the cause of her investigation for canonization to:

      HOW TO POST A QUESTION TO THE CATHOLIC REFERENCE
      DESK AND HOW TO SUBMIT AN ARTICLE FOR PUBLICATION

      Roman Catholic News is currently ranked 15 of 809 Catholic
      Yahoo groups, with over 500 subscriptions, and growing steadily
      on a daily basis. Your membership as a subscriber is important
      to us and helps us grow in numbers which prompts us to
      improve our services. Please spread the word that a Catholic
      clergy run Catholic News group and Reference Desk are
      available that keeps you informed on all the activities of Pope
      John Paul II, the Holy See, the Roman Curia, Catholic doctrine,
      critical world news, biblical studies, and its Catholic Reference
      Desk answers questions you post. When posting questions
      please place in the subject field of your email "Reference Desk".
      Emails can be sent to either Roman-Catholic-News
      owner@yahoogroups.com, or to jlupia2@.... Articles
      written by professional and scholarly authors can also be sent to
      the email addresses above for consideration in a future issue.
      Authors should keep in mind that Roman Catholic News is a
      not-for-profit organization and considers publishing articles
      without paying any monetary compensation to authors. All
      materials submitted and published are copyright protected in
      accordance to the latest ruling from the Office of Copyright,
      Library of Congress, Washington, D.C. Your subscription is
      important to us. Welcome to Roman Catholic News. Tell a friend.

      * * *

      EUCHARISTIC PRAYER IN HONOR OF THE SORROWFUL
      HEART OF MARY

      "Eternal Father, through the Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of
      Mary, I offer you the crucified Body of Your dearly beloved Son,
      Jesus Christ, in reparation for all the sins committed against you
      and for the conversion and salvation of the whole world."

      "Eternal Father, through the Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of
      Mary, I offer you the precious Blood of Your dearly beloved Son,
      Jesus Christ, in reparation for all the sins committed against you
      and for the conversion and salvation of the whole world."

      approaches unity among all Christians of the various
      confessions will increase until they reach full communion." John
      Paul II, Tertio Millennio Adveniente, 16

      clinging to her robes while walking down a dusty and busy
      crowded street and you'll always be safe."

      To gain access to all of the Roman Catholic News archives go to
      the URL:

      There are four ways to access archived articles: (1) Go to the
      Home Page panel on the far left and click on the word
      "Messages" just below the word "Home"; (2) then click on the
      articles posted by date; (3) or click on the blue Arabic numerals
      in the box for the month in the yearly calendar window at the
      bottom of the page; (4) or type in a keyword in the long
      rectangular white box alongside the long rectangular button that
      reads SEARCH ARCHIVE, and then click that button.

      unless specified otherwise. All articles from VIS, VID, Zenit ,
      Associated Press (AP), Reuters, and Noticias Eclesiales are
      republished by approval and courtesy of these news agencies.
      We encourage our readers to send financial support to Zenit, a
      private news organization in Rome. Zenit (http://www.zenit.org),
      VIS (V.I.S. - Vatican Information Service) Zenit , Associated Press
      (AP), Reuters, (VID) Vidimus Dominum, and Noticias Eclesiales
      own the original copyright for their news releases as credited. All
      copyright materials copied in any form must include the
      appropriate copyright owner; for Roman Catholic News use our
      URL as follows:
      correspondence should be sent to: