    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 11, 2013

      WEDNESDAY JUNE 12 2013

      . GENERAL AUDIENCE: THE CHURCH, THE PEOPLE OF GOD, SHOULD KEEP DOOR OPEN
      . FRANCIS: SERENE CHILDHOOD IS A RIGHT AND OUR DUTY
      . AUDIENCE
      . THOUGHT OF THE DAY

      . GENERAL AUDIENCE: THE CHURCH, THE PEOPLE OF GOD, SHOULD KEEP DOOR OPEN

      Vatican City, 12 June 2013 (VIS) – The Church, defined in Vatican Council II as the People of God, was the topic of Pope Francis' catechesis during the Wednesday general audience. The Holy Father explained the concept of the People of God through a series of questions: “What does it mean to be the People of God? How does one become a member of this people? What is its law, its mission, and its goal?”

      To be the People of God, the Bishop of Rome said, “first of all means that God doesn't belong to any particular people because He is the one who calls us … and this invitation is addressed to all, without distinction, because God's mercy 'wills everyone to be saved'. Jesus doesn't tell the Apostles and us to form an exclusive group of elite members. Jesus says: 'Go and make disciples of all nations'. … I would also like to say to whoever feels far from God and from the Church, to whoever is timorous or indifferent, to whoever thinks they are no longer able to change: the Lord also calls you to be part of his people and He does so with great respect and love!” A person becomes part of this people “not through physical birth, but by a new birth … Baptism … through faith in Christ, God's gift that must be nourished and made to grow throughout our lives.”

      What is the law of the people of God? “It is the law of love, love for God and love for neighbour … which isn't a sterile sentimentalism or something vague, but is the recognition of God as the one Lord of life and, at the same time, welcoming others as true brothers and sisters … the two go hand in hand. How much further must we still journey to live this new law concretely? … When we look in the newspapers or on TV there are so many wars between Christians; how can this happen? Within the people of God, so many wars! In neighbourhoods, at work, how many wars for envy and jealousy! Even in the same family, how many internal wars! We must ask the Lord to help us understand this law of love. How beautiful it is to love one another as true brothers and sisters. Let's do this today. Maybe we all have the people we like and [those we] dislike. Perhaps many of us are a little upset with someone. So let's say to the Lord: 'Lord, I am angry with this person or that one. I will pray to you for him and for her.' Praying for those we are angry with is a good step in this law of love. Shall we do it? Let's do it today!”

      “This people's mission,” the Pope continued, “to to bring God's hope and salvation to the world: to be a sign of the love of God who calls all to friendship with him … It is enough to open a newspaper to see that the presence of evil is around us, that the Devil is at work. But I want to say out loud: God is stronger! … Let's all say it together … God is stronger! And I want to add that reality, which at times is dark and marked by evil, can change if we first bring to it the light of the Gospel, above all with our lives. If, in a stadium … on a dark night, one person lights a light, it can barely be seen. But, if over 70,000 spectators each light their own light, then the stadium lights up. Let us make our lives the light of Christ. Together we will bring the light of the Gospel to all of reality.”

      The goal of this people is “God's kingdom, begun on earth by God himself, and which must be further extended until it is brought to perfection, when Christ, our life, shall appear. The objective [of the people of God], therefore, is full communion with the Lord, familiarity with him, entering into the divine life itself, into his family, where we will live the joy of his boundless love.”

      “Being the Church, being the people of God,” Francis concluded, “... means being God's leaven in this our humanity. It means proclaiming and bearing God's salvation in this our world, which is often lost and needful of having encouraging answers, answers that give hope, that give new energy along the journey. May the Church be the place of God's mercy and love, where everyone can feel themselves welcomed, loved, forgiven, and encouraged to live according to the good life of the Gospel. And in order to make others feel welcomed, loved, forgiven, and encouraged, the Church must have open doors so that all might enter. And we must go out of those doors and proclaim the Gospel”

      . FRANCIS: SERENE CHILDHOOD IS A RIGHT AND OUR DUTY

      Vatican City, 12 June 2013 (VIS) – At the end of his catechesis, the Holy Father launched an appeal for the protection of children, noting that today marks the World Day Against Child Labour, which is focusing particular attention on the exploitation of children in domestic work, a deplorable situation that is constantly increasing, especially in many of the poorest countries. The Pope called upon the international community to take more effective measures against “this real plague”.

      “There are millions of children,” Francis said, “mostly girls, who are victims of this hidden form of exploitation that often involves abuse, mistreatment, and discrimination. It is real slavery. … All children should be able to play, study, pray, and grow, in their own families and in an atmosphere of harmony, love, and serenity. It is their right and our duty. A serene childhood allows children to look with confidence towards life and the future. Woe to whomever stifles within them their joyful enthusiasm of hope!”

      In his final greetings, the Holy Father addressed members of the International Committee of the Society of St. Vincent de Paul who were present in the Square. They are celebrating the 200th anniversary of the birth of their founder, Blessed Frederic Ozanam. “God is stronger than evil,” Francis told them. “In a world that is difficult at times, be bearers of God's hope and love.”

      . AUDIENCE

      Vatican City, 12 June 2013 (VIS) – This afternoon, the Holy Father is scheduled to meet with Msgr. Pio Vito Pinto, dean of the Tribunal of the Roman Rota.

      Vatican City, 12 June 2013 (VIS) – Today, the Holy Father:

      - accepted the resignation from the pastoral care of the territorial abbey of Montecassino, Italy, presented by Abbot Pietro Vittorelli, O.S.B., in accordance with canon 401 para. 2 of the Code of Canon Law.

      - appointed Fr. Luiz Fernando Lisboa, C.P., as bishop of Pemba (area 82,625, population 836,000, Catholics 578,798, priests 21, religious 88), Mozambique. The bishop-elect was born in Marques de Valenca, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil in 1955 and was ordained a priest in 1983. Since ordination, he has served in several community and parochial level roles, most recently, since 2011, as pastor of the Santa Teresinha de Lisieux parish in Colombo-Parana, Brazil. He was a missionary to Mozambique between 2001 and 2010.

      - appointed Fr. Michael Gerber as auxiliary of the Archdiocese of Freiburg (area 16,229, population 4,772,000, Catholics 1,984,900, priests 1,147, permanent deacons 243, religious 1,866), Germany. The bishop-elect was born in Oberkirch, Germany in 1970 and was ordained a priest in 1997. Since ordination, he has served in several pastoral and academic roles, most recently, since 2011, as rector of the archdiocese's Collegium Borromaeum seminary.

      - appointed Dr. Raffaele Coppola, professor in the faculty of Jurisprudence at the State University of Bari and member of the Holy See's Corps of Lawyers for the Canon and Civil Forum, as promoter of justice in the Vatican City State Court of Appeals.

      . THOUGHT OF THE DAY

      Snowflakes under a microscope are crystals in beautiful geometric patterns. The pattern as a whole is a single unity. Within it we see order, harmony, and oneness. Every atom of the infinite and eternal universe is exactly like a snowflake.

      Every human being too is composed of billions and trillions of atoms just like snowflakes. Our physical bodies are living tissue teeming with life, order, harmony, unity and oneness.

      Yet the human spirit unlike the natural order must seek God for the order, oneness, harmony and unity since we are fallen and broken.

      Baptism removes the condemnation due to original sin and it unites us to Jesus Christ.

      Sin is removed by baptism and confession, but the effects of sin remain.

      Therefore, our daily lives encounter struggle, stress, trials, difficulties.

      We enjoy good moments of solitude, peace, joy, but the struggle of this life remains.

      Peace and tranquility is the depth of serenity which the soul and human spirit continually reaches for at every moment.

      As taught us by St. Augustine no one rests and experiences peace until we rest and have our peace with Christ.

      Seek His Holy Face and ask Him to fill you with love for Him a tender devotion to Him a sweetness in our hearts for Him. For it is only when our hearts are thus filled with authentic love for Him a tender devotion for Him and a sweetness in our hearts for Him that we truly become authentically loving and truly devoted and tender loving, sweet and kind with God with others and ourselves.

      Seek His Holy Face.

      Remember always to pray for Pope Francis.

      God bless you.