    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 13, 2013

      WEDNESDAY 13 MARCH 2013

      HABEMUS PAPAM! POPE FRANCIS I

      SPECIAL EDITION

      . HABEMUS PAPAM! POPE FRANCIS I
      . PRAYER FOR POPE FRANCIS I

      . HABEMUS PAPAM! POPE FRANCIS I

      Like millions of people around the world I have been closely watching the events surrounding Conclave 2013, especially since I am the editor of Roman Catholic News nearly 12 years.

      I woke up very early in the morning to be able to see if a Pope was elected on the first ballot. But no smoke. This meant that there was no election, so we all had to wait for the next ballot which took place not quite an hour and a half later. Behold, black smoke! No Pope was elected.

      I was following various reports and before you know it the third ballot of the afternoon passed with no smoke. This meant no Pope. I realized there was very little likelihood that a Pope would be elected on the fourth ballot today so I left everything to run a few errands.

      I was fairly convinced I would not miss a thing except trite conversations and continued idle speculations about whom everyone not in the know thinks will be the next Pope.

      I actually felt a relief getting out and doing mundane chores taking a break from the intensity that has built up since February 11th, when Benedict XVI announced his abdication.

      Wouldn't you know . . . when the cat's away the mice will play! I turned on the TV set only to hear the roar of the uncontrollable crowd in St. Peter's square and flashing lights of cameras and the voice over of the newscaster saying, "White smoke has been seen and we have a Pope!"

      I think we all sat there feeling both joy and trepidation. Whom did our wonderful college of cardinals choose amongst themselves to wear the shoes of the fisherman? This now was the big question.

      French Cardinal Jean-Louis Tauran, steps into the open balcony, the drapes having been just opened up, and announces "Habemus Papam!" "Eminentissimum ac reverendissimum dominum, dominum Georgium Marium, Cardinalem Bergoglio, qui sibi nomen imposuit Franciscum."

      TRANSLATION :

      "We have a Pope. The Eminent and Most Reverend Master,
      Lord George Marius, Cardinal Bergoglio,
      who took the name Francis. "

      The crowd went wild with excitement chanting "Francesco".

      He is the first Italo-Latino Pope, the first Pope of the New World, the first South American Pope, first Argentinian Pope, the first Jesuit Pope, the first Pope who was a scientist and chemist, the first Pope who is a psychologist, the first Pope ever named Francis.

      Pope Francis I is the first Pope ever to ask the people of God to beg from God a blessing for him before he gave his first papal blessing. You can't get more gracious and charismatic than that!

      "But you are a chosen generation, a kingly priesthood, a holy nation, a purchased people: that you may declare his virtues, who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light" 1 Peter 2:9

      Final message from ADOPT A CARDINAL. "At the end YOURS was one of 552383 adoptions!"

      You are the people of God. You are a priestly people a royal household. Rejoice! Habemus Papam!

      . PRAYER FOR POPE FRANCIS I

      Lord, look kindly on our Holy Father Pope Francis I and strengthen him