    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 5, 2013

      WEDNESDAY 6 MARCH 2013

      INTERREGNUM - DAY 7

      . CONGREGATIONS ARE PATH OF REFLECTION
      . CARDINALS PRAY FOR CHURCH AT ST. PETER'S
      . INTERREGNUM PRAYER

      . CONGREGATIONS ARE PATH OF REFLECTION

      Vatican City, 6 March 2013 (VIS) - “At the fourth General Congregation, which began this morning at 9:00am with the prayer of the Liturgy of Hours, 153 cardinals were present. This number includes four additional cardinals who arrived and were sworn in today, three Cardinal electors: Cardinal Antonios Naguib, patriarch emeritus of Alexandria, Egypt; Cardinal Karl Lehmann, bishop of Mainz, Germany; Cardinal John Tong Hon, bishop of Hong Kong, China; as well as Cardinal Friedrich Wetter, archbishop emeritus of Munich, Germany who is not an elector,” said Fr. Federico Lombardi, S.J., director of the Holy See Press Office during his daily news conference with journalists.

      To date, there are 113 Cardinal electors present. Tomorrow the two remaining Cardinal electors are expected—Cardinal Kazimierz Nycz, archbishop of Warsaw, Poland, will arrive this afternoon and Cardinal Jean-Baptiste Pham Minh Man, archbishop of Thanh-Pho Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam tomorrow morning.

      “In the fraternal spirit that characterizes the Congregations,” Fr. Lombardi reported, “Cardinal Dean Angelo Sodano wished a happy birthday to Cardinal Walter Kasper (who turned 80 yesterday), Cardinal Francesco Coccopalmerio (who turns 75 today), and Cardinal Julio Terrazas Sandoval, C.SS.R., (who turns 77 tomorrow). Cardinal Kasper continues to be a Cardinal elector—he will be the oldest to cast his vote in this Conclave—because the Apostolic Constitution regulating the procedure for electing the pontiff establishes the age limit for cardinals entering the Conclave to be determined from the beginning of the period of the Sede Vacante.

      This morning 18 cardinals addressed the gathering. Without going into details, the director of the Holy See Press office gave a general overview of their nature. “The major theme,” Fr. Lombardi said, “was the Church in the world, the New Evangelization. Other topics included the Holy See, its Dicasteries and relations with bishops. A third theme was a profile of expectations for the next pope in view of the good government of the Church.”

      “There have been 51 speeches since the beginning of the Congregations,” he added. Given the large number of cardinals wishing to address the gathering, a five minute time limit was established but is not strictly enforced. It was decided that tomorrow they will meet in a morning as well as an afternoon session.

      Regarding the cancelling of the press conferences that some of the American cardinals were giving in these days, Fr. Lombardi observed that “the Congregations are not a synod or a congress in which we try to report the most information possible, but a path toward arriving at the decision of electing the Roman Pontiff. In this sense, the tradition of this path is one of reservation in order to safeguard the freedom of reflection on the part of each of the members of the College of Cardinals who has to make such an important decision. It does not surprise me, therefore, that along this path there were, at the beginning, moments of openness and communication and that afterwards, in harmony with the rest of the College, it has been established whether and how to communicate.”

      Also brought up in the press conference was the date of the opening of the Conclave. “The College has a great spirit of preparation that is serious, profound, and unhurried,” Fr. Lombardi clarified. “Perhaps that is why it still did not seem opportune to take a vote on the date of the Conclave, which a large part of the College could sense as something forced in the dynamic of reflection. It also needs to be kept in mind that some cardinals are still arriving and it would be a sign of respect for them to wait until the College is complete.”

      In conclusion, the director of the Holy See Press Office confirmed that “the Fisherman's Ring has been scratched over,” that is, rendered unusable.

      . CARDINALS PRAY FOR CHURCH AT ST. PETER'S

      Vatican City, 6 March 2013 (VIS) – This afternoon in St. Peter's Basilica, on the occasion of the General Congregations proceeding the Conclave, the College of Cardinals will pray for the Church.

      The celebration, which will be held at 5:00pm at the Altar of the Cathedra, will begin with the recitation of the Glorious Mysteries of the Rosary in Italian and Latin. Following the Rosary will be the Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament and a brief time for Adoration. Then simple recitation of Vespers (the Church's evening prayer) will be presided over by Cardinal Angelo Comastri, archpriest of St. Peter's Basilica. The rite will conclude with Eucharistic Benediction offered by Cardinal Comastri.

      The prayer booklet for the celebration can be found online at the website of the Office for Liturgical Celebrations of the Supreme Pontiff:
      http://www.vatican.va/news_services/liturgy/index.it.htm.

      The regularly scheduled mass at the Altar of the Cathedra will be moved to another altar in St. Peter's Basilica.

      Thursday of the Third Week of Lent
      Lectionary: 240

      Today's Gospel reading reveals the foundation stone of the Roman Catholic Church, Jesus Christ, undivided unity within the Most Holy Trinity. It is this undivided character of Christ that is a mark of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. We speak of the four marks of the Church : that the Church is One, that is one sacred body in Christ united through the communion of saints as we are the branches and Christ the vine. This is the first mark of the one true Church instituted by Jesus Christ creating it as both divine and human in nature just as He is both divine and human in nature.

      Today the Cardinals prayed Vespers and Benediction of the Blessed Sacrament in St. Peter's. Adoring Him together He who unites them as one college, one body, one in faith, brings great joy to all the faithful throughout the world, especially those of us fortunate enough to witness this event either in person or through video transmission.

      We still hear the faithless voice of the Media who insist on creating a Dan Brown, Da Vinci Code parade and charade in their hostile reports that the Sacred College of Cardinals is divided. These unethical and immoral voices pretend to know something as privileged insiders who serendipitously stumbled across some deep dark secret hoping to gain fame and fortune from a dream.

      Fortunately, this corruption does not extend to all in the Catholic Press and News Services, who are presenting sober, objective, and sound reporting on the events that are taking place before their very eyes. Catholics around the world are grateful for the good people in the press that provide unadulterated, unbiased, and reliable information to keep them informed of the events that are of paramount importance in the personal lives of the faithful everywhere. To those of you who so faithfully and seriously undertake your ministry of providing good quality news service we all salute you.

      During the Benediction service this evening at the Vatican I was reflecting on Christ present for us in the Eucharistic bread. I was struck by a reminiscence of a scene from the film "Hoosiers", starring Gene Hackman as an Indiana High School basketball coach. He steered his team into the state championship. When the young men arrived at the gym in Indianapolis they were in awe, dumbstruck, intimidated and frightened by its immensity and enormity of dimensions. The coach had two team mates measure the basketball court. He then said, "I think you'll find these exact same measurements as our gym back in Hickory." The same is true about Jesus Christ present in the Most Blessed Sacrament of the altar at Rome, and in your hometown or village. No matter how big or small your Church is Christ is the same there as He is in that monstrance in the Vatican. The Vatican did not have a special consecrated host. Jesus is not present there more in the Vatican than He is when you receive him at holy communion. This thought levels the ground between kings, princes, heads of state and the simple and poor throughout the world. There is much wisdom in the adage that "All men are created equal" since we are equal before the face of God. Christ Himself gave us the parable about the vineyard workers. Some men were seen idle on the street at sunrise and were told to work in the vineyard. Some later that morning, others later in the afternoon. Yet he paid them all the same wage. This wage we receive is the gift of Himself to each and everyone of us in the Eucharist.

      May each and everyone make a good confession this Lent and worthily receive Christ in the Eucharist as it is our solemn Easter duty to receive communion at least once in the liturgical year.

      Try to receive Christ in the Eucharist more frequently if you are able. It is our duty to attend Mass every Sunday or if your local bishop allows Saturday for those who cannot make Sunday try to make an effort to receive communion at every weekly Mass. There are some called to receive communion every day, which is a great gift from God.

      Please continue to pray for the Sacred College of Cardinals as they are men and only frail human beings just like you and me and we all need God's grace. Please remember them as often as you can throughout the day and offer up a small sacrifice or do a kind deed or say something nice or offer up a prayer so that God may be pleased with you and grant greater graces to his elect few who represent the entire Church in the 115 Electors.

      Those of you who have already joined ADOPT A CARDINAL keep on praying for that one that was selected for you at random. Those who still have not as yet subscribed, please do.

      http://adoptacardinal.org/

      We are all grateful to one another for our prayers and services that contribute in making this Conclave serene, holy, and blessed; so that Christ may shine forth more brilliantly than the sun through His Pope, Cardinals, Bishops, Priests, Deacons, and Religious as well as all of the laity throughout the world.

      . INTERREGNUM PRAYER

      Almighty God, hallowed be Thy name. Thy will be done for Your Church on earth as
      it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily Eucharistic bread offered on all
      Your altars throughout the world for our good and the salvation of the world.
      Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us.
      Strengthen in holiness Your Priests, Bishops and Cardinals and call them into a
      deeper conversion and union with You so that they may serve You more perfectly.
      That Your Bishops, Priests, and Deacons may be tireless messengers of Your
      Gospel to the ends of the earth. We beseech You to look with love on the Holy
      Conclave and inspire them to elect that one among them You wish to serve as Your
      Vicar here on earth. Lead them not into temptation but deliver them from the
      evil and wiles of the devil so that protected by Your holy angels they may
      freely think, deliberate and choose wisely the Cardinal best suited to be the
      Bishop of Rome, Pontifex Maximus. Amen.