    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 8, 2013

      MONDAY 11 FEBRUARY 2013

      Feast of Our Lady of Lourdes

      . POPE RESIGNS
      . CARDINAL SODANO EXPRESSES COLLEGE OF CARDINALS' NEARNESS TO POPE
      . DIRECTOR OF HOLY SEE PRESS OFFICE ON POPE'S RESIGNATION
      . DAY BENEDICT XVI WAS ELECTED
      . POPE PREVENTS PLACING CHURCH IN A LURCH

      . POPE RESIGNS

      Vatican City, 11 February 2013 (VIS) – The Holy Father, at the end of today's consistory for causes for canonization, announced his resignation from ministry as Bishop of Rome to the College of Cardinals. Following is the Holy Father's complete declaration, which he read in Latin:

      "I have convoked you to this Consistory, not only for the three canonizations, but also to communicate to you a decision of great importance for the life of the Church. After having repeatedly examined my conscience before God, I have come to the certainty that my strengths, due to an advanced age, are no longer suited to an adequate exercise of the Petrine ministry. I am well aware that this ministry, due to its essential spiritual nature, must be carried out not only with words and deeds, but no less with prayer and suffering. However, in today’s world, subject to so many rapid changes and shaken by questions of deep relevance for the life of faith, in order to govern the barque of Saint Peter and proclaim the Gospel, both strength of mind and body are necessary, strength which in the last few months, has deteriorated in me to the extent that I have had to recognize my incapacity to adequately fulfil the ministry entrusted to me. For this reason, and well aware of the seriousness of this act, with full freedom I declare that I renounce the ministry of Bishop of Rome, Successor of Saint Peter, entrusted to me by the Cardinals on 19 April 2005, in such a way, that as from 28 February 2013, at 20:00 hours, the See of Rome, the See of Saint Peter, will be vacant and a Conclave to elect the new Supreme Pontiff will have to be convoked by those whose competence it is."

      "Dear Brothers, I thank you most sincerely for all the love and work with which you have supported me in my ministry and I ask pardon for all my defects. And now, let us entrust the Holy Church to the care of Our Supreme Pastor, Our Lord Jesus Christ, and implore his holy Mother Mary, so that she may assist the Cardinal Fathers with her maternal solicitude, in electing a new Supreme Pontiff. With regard to myself, I wish to also devotedly serve the Holy Church of God in the future through a life dedicated to prayer."

      . CARDINAL SODANO EXPRESSES COLLEGE OF CARDINALS' NEARNESS TO POPE

      Vatican City, 11 February 2013 (VIS) - Cardinal Angelo Sodano, dean of the College of Cardinals, on hearing the news of the Pope's resignation from the Petrine ministry, expressed his nearness, and that of all the cardinals, to Benedict XVI.

      "We have heard you," he said, "with a sense of loss and almost disbelief. In your words we see the great affection that you have always had for God's Holy Church, for this Church that you have loved so much. Now, let me say, on behalf of this apostolic cenacle―the College of Cardinals―on behalf of your beloved collaborators, allow me to say that we are closer than ever to you, as we have been during these almost eight luminous years of your pontificate. On 19 April 2005, if I remember correctly, at the end of the conclave I asked … 'Do you accept your canonical election as Supreme Pontiff?' And you did not hesitate, although moved with emotion, to answer that you accepted, trusting in the Lord's grace and the maternal intercession of Mary, Mother of the Church. Like Mary on that day she gave her 'yes', and your luminous pontificate began, following in the wake of continuity, in that continuity with your 265 predecessors in the Chair of Peter, over two thousand years of history from the Apostle Peter, the humble Galilean fisherman, to the great popes of the last century from St. Pius X to Blessed John Paul II."

      "Holy Father, before 28 February, the day that, as you have said, you wish to place the word 'end' to your pontifical service, conducted with so much love and so humbly, before 28 February, we will be able to better express our feelings. So too will the many pastors and faithful throughout the world, so too all those of good will together with the authorities of many countries. … Also, still this month, we will have the joy of listening to your voice as pastor: Ash Wednesday, Thursday with the clergy of Rome, in the Sunday Angelus, and the Wednesday general audiences, we will still have many occasions to hear your paternal voice. … Your mission, however, will continue. You have said that you will always be near us with your witness and your prayer. Of course, the stars always continue to shine and so will the star of your pontificate always shine among us. We are near to you, Holy Father, and we ask you to bless us."

      . DIRECTOR OF HOLY SEE PRESS OFFICE ON POPE'S RESIGNATION

      Vatican City, 11 February 2013 (VIS) – Fr. Federico Lombardi, director of the Holy See Press Office, commented there and on Vatican Radio on Benedict XVI's resignation of the papacy. "Among the reasons for the Pope's resignation, as he noted in his own words," he said, "are the circumstances of today's world that, in relation to the past, are particularly difficult, both because of the speed as well as the number of events and problems that arise that, therefore, need a vigour, perhaps stronger than in the past. It is a vigour that the Pope says he has felt diminish in him in recent months."

      He continued, "The phrase: 'well aware of the seriousness of this act, with full freedom I declare that I renounce the ministry of Bishop of Rome, Successor of Saint Peter,' is very significant This is the formal declaration, which is important from a juridical point of view. In paragrapgh 2 of canon 332 of the Code of Canon Law, we read: 'Should it happen that the Roman Pontiff resigns from his office, it is required for validity that the resignation be freely made and properly manifested, but it is not necessary that it be accepted by anyone.' The two fundamental points are, therefore, freedom and due manifestation. Freedom and public manifestation, and the consistory in which the Pope manifested his will is public."

      "Benedict XVI will continue to fully carry out his functions and his service until 28 February at 8:00pm. From that moment on the situation of Sede Vacante will begin, regulated, from a legal and canonical standpoint, by the texts referring to Sede Vacante in the Code of Canon Law and the Apostolic Constitution 'Universi dominici gregis' by John Paul II, regarding the Sede Vacante of the Apostolic See."

      "The Pope's announcement is consistent with what he declared in the book 'Light of the World' by Peter Seewald, based on interviews with Benedict XVI. Seewald posed two precise questions on the hypothesis of resignation. In the first, he asked the Holy Father whether, in difficult situations that weigh on the pontificate in progress, the Pope would consider resigning. Benedict's response was: 'When the danger is great, one cannot escape. For this reason, surely, this would not be the time to resign' (he was referring to the question of sexual abuse, etc.). Moments like this are the times when one has to be strong and face the difficult situation. This is what I think. One can resign in a time of peace, or when one simply no longer has the strength, but one cannot escape in a moment of danger saying 'someone else take care of it'. In any case, the Pope said that the difficulties would not be, for him, a motive for resignation; rather, they would be a reason not to. Seewald's second question was: 'Well then, can you imagine a situation in which you would think that a Pope could resign?' The Holy Father responded: 'When a Pope realizes clearly that he is no longer physically, mentally, and spiritually capable of carrying out his role, then there is legally the possibility, and also the obligation, to resign.'"

      The Director of the Holy See's Press Office explained that the Holy Father "will move to Castel Gandolfo on 28 February, and, once he has finished the tasks he has in progress, he will take up residence in the former cloistered monastery in the Vatican. The process for the election of a new Pope will begin on1 March. We do not yet know the exact date of the conclave, but obviously there will be no need to wait the normal eight days of mourning (novendali) after the death of the Pope. Thus, in two weeks, during the month of March, in time for Easter, we will have a new Pope ... Benedict XVI will have no role in next March's conclave, nor in the running of the Church during the time between popes, the time of Sede Vacante. The Apostolic Constitution gives no role in this transition to a pope who resigns."

      "Personally," he concluded, "I received the announcement of the Pope's resignation with great admiration, for its great valour, for the Holy Father's freedom of spirit and great concern for the responsibility of his ministry. Benedict XVI has offered us a great witness of spiritual freedom, of great wisdom in regard to Church government in today's world."

      . DAY BENEDICT XVI WAS ELECTED

      VATICAN CITY, 11 February 2013 (VIS) – It will soon be eight years since 19 April 2013, the day that Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, dean of the College of Cardinals, was elected as Supreme Pontiff, the 264th successor of Peter, and chose the name Benedict XVI.

      The cardinal proto-deacon, Jorge Arturo Medina Estevez, made the solemn announcement to the people at 6:43pm from the external loggia of the Hall of Blessings of the Vatican Basilica following the white smoke which occurred at 5:50pm.

      Following are the words of Cardinal Medina Estevez:

      Annuntio vobis gaudium magnum;
      habemus Papam;
      Eminentissium ac Reverendissium Dominum,
      Dominum Josephum
      Sanctae Romanae Ecclesiae Cardinalem Ratzinger
      Qui sibi nomen imposuit Benedictum XVI

      (I announce to you with great joy;
      We have a Pope;
      The most eminent and most reverend Lord,
      Lord Joseph
      Cardinal of Holy Roman Church Ratzinger
      Who has taken the name Benedict XVI)

      The conclave that led to the election of Benedict XVI began on Monday, 18 April 2005, in the Sistine Chapel of the Vatican Apostolic Palace, with the "extra omnes" pronounced at 5:25pm by Archbishop Piero Marini, master of the Liturgical Celebrations of the Supreme Pontiff, following the taking of the oath by the 115 cardinal electors.

      The first black smoke took place at 8:04pm the same day.

      On Tuesday, April 19, there was black smoke at 11:52am.

      On Tuesday, April 19, there was white smoke at 5:50pm.

      At 6:48pm, the Holy Father Benedict XVI, preceded by the Cross, appeared on the external loggia to greet the people and to impart the Apostolic Blessing "Urbi et Orbi" (to the city and to the world).

      Prior to the blessing, the new Pontiff addressed the faithful with the following words:

      "Dear Brothers and Sisters,"

      "After the great Pope John Paul II, the Lord Cardinals have elected me, a simple and humble worker in the vineyard of the Lord. I am consoled by the fact that the Lord knows how to act, even with inadequate instruments and above all I entrust myself to your prayers. In the joy of the Risen Lord, trusting in His permanent help, as we go forward the Lord will help us, and His Mother, Mary Most Holy, will be at our side. Thank you."

      . COMPOSITION OF THE CONCLAVE

      Vatican City, 11 February 2013 (VIS) – The conclave to elect the successor of Benedict XVI will be regulated by the "Ordo Rituum Conclavis" established by John Paul II's apostolic constitution "Universi Dominici Gregis", para. 27. The Cardinal Camerlengo, who has a fundamental role during the Sede Vacante period, is Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone, appointed by Benedict XVI on 4 April 2007.

      The Cardinal electors, by their continents of provenance, will be 61 Europeans, 19 Latin Americans, 14 North Americans, 11 Africans, 11 Asians, and 1 from Oceania. These figures may vary depending on the date that the conclave opens: for example, Cardinal Walter Kasper will turn 80 on 5 March. The country with the greatest number of Cardinal electors is Italy, with 21. Sixty-seven of the electors were created by Benedict XVI and the remaining 50 by John Paul II.

      One of John Paul II's innovations regarding the period of conclave is that the Cardinal electors―of whom there will be 117 on 28 February―will be housed in the Vatican residence Casa Santa Marta, which is independent from the place where they vote, the Sistine Chapel.

      The Cardinal electors must remain in the Vatican during the entire period of conclave, and no one can approach them when they move from the Sistine Chapel to their place of residence or vice versa. All forms of communication with the outside world are prohibited. As in the past, the Sistine Chapel stove will be used to burn the ballots after each vote.

      . POPE PREVENTS PLACING CHURCH IN A LURCH

      Our Beloved Pope Benedict XVI has done some serious soul searching in prayer, something everyone should do. He found himself to be wanting from a medical viewpoint. He discovered that he was no longer equal to fulfill his duties with the immense task of filling the shoes of the Fisherman.

      It takes tremendous clarity and honesty as well as great courage to resign the Chair of Peter. It is abundantly clear that our Beloved Pontiff was only thinking of the good of the Church which prompted him to resign with such dignity and elegance that one can just be inspired and in awe of his heroic actions.

      He is well aware that finding himself lacking the full capacities he once enjoyed he would possibly cause chaos if something should happen to him leaving manifold administrative tasks undone while the hierarchy rushes in to assess the situation. One can quite rightly say that Pope Benedict XVI prevented placing the Church in a lurch.

      With his letter of resignation effective 28 February, it creates a smooth transition from his papacy to the next. This may be the way papacies will end hereon in. In this day and age of complexity the Church cannot afford to have weeks of down time on the death of a pontiff until a successful election to the next pope. It seems very wise for any pope finding himself unable to fulfill his task as pope to resign as Pope Benedict XVI has done so wisely and admirably setting this example.

      Let us keep him in our daily prayers that he enjoy rest, peace and serenity as he lives out his final time here on earth in the prayerful presence of the heavenly Pontiff, Jesus Christ.

      We thank Pope Benedict XVI for his tremendous labors of love serving the Church his entire life with all the heroic virtues that reflect his personal sanctity and holiness.

      May Christ bless Pope Benedict XVI both now and for ever.

      (copy and distribute)