    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 21, 2012

      MONDAY 24 DECEMBER 2012

      CHRISTMAS EVE

      . THE POPE GRANTS PARDON TO PAOLO GABRIELE

      . THE POPE GRANTS PARDON TO PAOLO GABRIELE

      Vatican City, 22 December 2012 (VIS) - Given below is the communiqué released this morning by the Secretariat of State:

      "This morning the Holy Father Benedict XVI visited Paolo Gabriele in prison in order to confirm his forgiveness and communicate in person his decision to grant Mr Gabriele's request for pardon, thereby remitting the sentence passed against the latter. This constitutes a paternal gesture towards a person with whom the Pope shared a relationship of daily familiarity for many years.

      "Mr Gabriele was subsequently released from prison and has returned home. Since he cannot resume his previous occupation or continue to live in Vatican City, the Holy See, trusting in his sincere repentance, wishes to offer him the possibility of returning to a serene family life".

      Vatican City, 22 December 2012 (VIS) - The Holy Father today received in audience Cardinal Marc Ouellet P.S.S., prefect of the Congregation for Bishops.

      Vatican City, 22 December 2012 (VIS) - The Holy Father today appointed:

      - Cardinal Francesco Coccopalmerio, president of the Pontifical Council for Legislative Texts; Cardinal James Michael Harvey; Archbishop Felix del Blanco Prieto, almoner emeritus of His Holiness; Archbishop Fabio Bernardo D'Onorio O.S.B. of Gaeta; Archbishop Renato Boccardo of Spoleto-Norcia; and Bishop Paolino Schiavon, auxiliary of Rome, as members of the Congregation for the Causes of Saints.

      - Bishop Alfonso Cortes Contreras of Cuernavaca, Mexico, as archbishop of Leon (area 8,110, population 2,866,000, Catholics 2,543,000, priests 355, permanent deacons 12, religious 882), Mexico. He succeeds Archbishop Jose Guadalupe Martin Rabago, whose resignation from the pastoral care of the same archdiocese the Holy Father accepted, upon having reached the age limit.

      - Fr. Estanislau Marques Chindekasse S.V.D. as bishop of the diocese of Dundo (area 103,130, population 827,000, Catholics 269,000, priests 10, religious 23), Angola. The bishop-elect was born in Huambo, Angola in 1958 and ordained a priest in 1987. He has served as a missionary in the Democratic Republic of Congo, and as a professor at the major seminary of Luanda. He obtained his doctorate in philosophy from the Gregorian Pontifical University in Rome, and is currently General Counsellor of the Society of the Divine Word.

      - Fr. Robert W. Oliver, assistant for canonical matters of the archdiocese of Boston, U.S.A., as promoter of justice of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith.

      Solemnity of the Nativity of the Lord (Christmas)

      Being a translator from one language to another requires diverse skills and knowledge in order to render translations accurately. Holy Scripture is no different. There are several important verses in Sacred Scripture that have suffered down through the ages having been poorly rendered into the Latin Vulgate by St. Jerome and by subsequent translators. Among these verses standing at the top is the first verse of the Gospel of St. John's Prologue. It is a famous verse and nearly every school child knows it by memory. However, as we have a love for this verse we must keep in mind that the meaning of the Greek words goes much deeper than the common and widely known translations in all languages since the first century text written by the Evangelist.

      In the beginning was the Word,
      and the Word was with God,
      and the Word was God.

      The difficulty with this translation lies in the first clause, In the beginning was the Word. The sacred writer never intended to propose a linear concept of time regarding creation. Moreover, the very words en arche were widely known as a specific phrase used in philosophy rather than in ordinary usage. The unfortunate thing is that the phrase en arche was given the common meaning "in the beginning" rather than in the philosophical sense "The first cause and principle of all being or existence". We find Aristotle use the phrase in this sense in his writings, but this, unfortunately was overlooked in the beginning of translations and translators have imitated and copied the popular vulgar use of phrase "in the beginning" rather than the philosophical meaning "the first cause and principle of all existence or being".

      Jesus Christ, the Divine Word of God, is the first cause and principle of all existence or being.

      St. John actually did write and intended for us to know :

      "The first cause and principle of all being or existence is the WORD, and the WORD was with GOD, and the WORD was GOD.

      We adore Jesus Christ this day celebrating His birth. We see Him as a human being in the person of Jesus Christ born of Mary. But, do not be deceived looking at the innocent and delicate face of a newborn infant. No. He is the Almighty and Supreme Being of the infinite universe.

      How amazing is that! The Omnipotent Lord and God of all being and existence, the Master of Infinity, the Omniscient God comes to us as a newborn babe. He is amazing! Only God could conceive of such a plan to love and save the universe and human family. His heart is vulnerable just as a newborn babe is vulnerable. God communicated this to us in the very act of being born through the human womb of a woman, as a real infant. He had ten very tiny fingers and toes, just as every single infant ever born. He was a delicate and sweet smelling baby just as every single infant ever born. Yet, He is the Almighty, Omniscient, Omnipotent and all glorious Holy One.

      His entire earthy life echoes His vulnerability in His birth as a baby. Jesus was always vulnerable to abuse, disrespect, misunderstanding, violence and death. And, He became a victim to all of these horrors of vulnerability suffering all of them for you and me.

      As a newborn infant lay still and quiet so did Jesus Christ fill the world with His sacred presence, ever so quiet and gentle. He always was absolutely marvelous, wonderful, charming, dignified, majestic in every way. His humility cloaked his glory so that He needed to be seen by the Apostles on Mount Tabor in a pre-beatific vision in glory with Elijah and Moses. His glory was revealed ever so briefly for a few seconds at His baptism. He seemed an ordinary man, handsome, ruddy, a fine specimen, healthy and robust, well spoke and well groomed. But beneath the surface lay God Himself. Yet some despised Him. Others hated Him. Many loved Him. Everyone needs Him.

      Mistakes were made. His rejection by the Jewish Temple leaders, and the condemnation and death He suffered, were all mistakes of the human heart and mind. This is why the ancient author Saint Ambrose, archbishop of Milan, Italy, penned the phrase "Felix culpa", "O, happy fault." St. Ambrose referred to the fall of Adam as a happy fault since it brought God to us in the flesh. We now see the happy fault was shared by the Jewish Temple leaders and Scribes, Lawyers, Pharisees and Sadducees who caused Jesus so much trouble that He was ultimately crucified for our salvation and rebirth of all creation.

      What a holy God we have in our beloved God and Father. He is all glorious! He is all merciful! What heart cannot but weep contemplating Him and His glory?

      Come, let us adore Him! Come, let us adore Jesus Christ our Lord! Let us gaze upon that newborn infant's face and remember the Prologue of St. John's Gospel

      "The first cause and principle of all being or existence is the WORD, and the WORD was with GOD, and the WORD was GOD.

      Let us gaze upon that newborn infant's face and contemplate Him as the Eternal Divine Word of God. God never changes. Yet we see God a newborn babe, and later on a holy child, and further still, a man. The Eternal Word of God eternally exists in the lifecycle of Jesus Christ for within Him is all of creation. In the most ancient monotheistic belief it was always held that God spoke one single word and from that one single word came forth everything that exists. We as Catholics know that word, Jesus Christ. He is that divine WORD. God spoke His name and everything came into being and will continue to come into being forever. He spoke and it was done. He now speaks to every human mind and heart.

      Gaze upon that adorable newborn infants face and see God in all His splendor and glory and learn from Him. The newborn Jesus teaches us about our own vulnerability and dependences. Yes, we are each and everyone completely dependent. We need God and His salvific love and grace. We need food, we need air and oxygen, we need water, we need soap and washing, we need clothing, we need shelter and the list of material needs goes on and on. But we also need that which is not material. We all need love, compassion, forgiveness, understanding, and education, and so on and so on. Our needs fill up the world. We like the newborn Jesus are vulnerable and needy. We must imitate His humility and lay still and quiet, humble and accepting.

      For if we imitate Christ we shall share in His glory, power, and eternal life. We are the co-creators of the infinite universe. Let us begin by co-creating ourselves into imitators of the newborn baby Jesus and learn to be holy in our vulnerability, silence, humility, acceptance of ourselves and others and of our circumstances and place our needs before God and others with all due diligence and humility. Imitating the infant Jesus we place ourselves lovingly into the arms of Mary, most holy. Let us then abandon ourselves to her and place ourselves into her care and live devoutly as her devoted children.

      Keep in mind each day that you are a child of Mary and watch your words, deeds and actions so that in everything you may say with a good conscience that you are a child of Mary, most holy!

      Doing this faithfully everyday of our lives we become the authentic brothers and sisters of Jesus Christ and sharers in His infinite glory, power and eternal life.

      Come let us adore Jesus Christ the Eternal Word of God who is the first cause and principle of all being or existence and humbly acknowledge Him as such with love and gratitude.

      God bless all of you and, May Almighty God, the Father, Son and Holy Spirit descend upon you and remain for ever.

      (copy and distribute)

      http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/122412.cfm(English)

      The Rosary in the Holy Land with Fr. Mitch
      Pacwahttp://www.ewtn.com/vondemand/audio/seriessearchprog.asp?seriesID=503&T1=pa\
      \
      \
      cwaRosary in English or Latin with Gregorian Chant

      CFRhttp://www.franciscanfriars.com/fr.%20glenn%20letters/frglenn575.htmNew
      Jersey State Senate Honors Mama
      Gilihttp://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?r109:E25OC5-0009:Cause of Mama Gili as
      Servant of God (Part 1)