    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 11, 2012

      WEDNESDAY 12 DECEMBER 2012

      FEAST OF OUR LADY OF GUADALUPE

      . ADVENT REMINDS US OF GOD'S PRESENCE IN THE WORLD
      . THE POPE ENTERS TWITTER WITH A BLESSING

      . ADVENT REMINDS US OF GOD'S PRESENCE IN THE WORLD

      Vatican City, (VIS) - The phases of Revelation, conveyed in the Scriptures and culminating in the Advent of Jesus Christ, were the theme of Benedict XVI's catechesis during today's general audience, which took place in the Vatican's Paul VI Hall. In view of the Year of Faith, the Pope renewed his invitation to read the Bible more frequently and to pay closer attention to the readings at Sunday Mass, to provide "valuable nourishment for our faith".

      The Pope observed that "reading the Old Testament, we see how God's interventions in the history of the chosen people with whom He established an alliance were not passing events forgotten over time, but rather become living 'memory', together constituting the 'story of salvation' that resides in the consciousness of the people of Israel through the celebration of salvific events", such as Easter. "For all the people of Israel, to recall God's work becomes a sort of constant imperative, in order that the passage of time be marked by the living memory of past events which thus create history anew, day by day, remaining ever present. ... Faith is nurtured by the discovery and the memory of God who is always faithful, who guides history and is the sound and stable foundation upon which life should be built".

      Benedict XVI explained that for Israel, the Exodus "is the central historical event in which God reveals the power of his action. God frees the Israelites from the bondage of Egypt so that they may return to the Promised Land and worship Him as the one true God. Israel does not set out to become a nation like any other ... but rather to serve God in worship and in life ... and to bear witness to God amid other peoples. And the celebration of this event renders it present and current, as the work of God does not cease. ... God reveals Himself not only in the primordial act of creation, but by entering into our history, into the history of a small population that was neither the most numerous nor the strongest of its time. This Revelation of God ... culminates in Jesus Christ: God, the Logos, the creating Word at the origin of the world, is made flesh in Jesus and thereby shows His true face. In Jesus every promise is fulfilled; the story of God and humanity finds its culmination in Him".

      "The Catechism of the Catholic Church summarises the phases of divine Revelation", continued the Holy Father. "God has invited mankind, since the very beginning, to engage in profound communion with Him, and even when man, through his own disobedience, lost His friendship, God did not abandon him to the force of death, but renewed His offer of alliance with man many times. The Catechism chronicles God's path with man from His covenant with Noah following the flood, to the command to Abraham to leave his homeland and become the patriarch of a multitude of peoples. God creates Israel as His people, through the Exodus, the Sinai covenant and the giving of the Law through Moses, so as to be recognised and served as the one true and living God. By means of the prophets, God leads His people in the hope of salvation ... In the end, they no longer await a king, David, the Son of David, but rather the 'Son of Man, saviour of all peoples' ... In this we see how the path of God broadens and opens the way towards the Mystery of Christ, the King of the universe. Revelation finds its full realisation in Christ, in God's benevolent plan: He becomes one of us. All these steps demonstrate "a single salvific plan dedicated to all of humanity, progressively revealed and realised through the power of God".

      The Pope then turned his attention to the liturgical time of Advent, which prepares us for Christmas. "As we all know, the word 'Advent' means 'coming' or 'presence', and historically indicated the arrival of the king or the emperor in a province. For us as Christians it has the wonderful and awe-inspiring meaning that God Himself has crossed over from Heaven and inclined towards man; he has made a covenant with man, entering into the history of His people. He is the king who enters into the poor province of earth, offering us the gift of His visit, taking on human flesh and becoming one of us. Advent invites us to retrace this path and reminds us again the God has not left this world, He is not absent and has not abandoned us to our own devices, but instead draws towards us in various ways that we must learn to recognise. And we too, with our faith, hope and charity, are called upon every day to perceive and witness this presence, in a world so often superficial and led astray, and to make the light that illuminated the stable in Bethlehem shine anew in our lives".

      . THE POPE ENTERS TWITTER WITH A BLESSING

      Vatican City, (VIS) - "Dear friends, I am pleased to get in touch with you through Twitter. Thank you for your generous response. I bless all of you from my heart".

      This was Benedict XVI's first tweet, published after the blessing that concluded today's general audience. The Pope used a tablet to send his first tweet, which was transmitted in eight languages (English, Italian, Spanish, French, German, Portuguese, Polish and Arabic), and displayed on a screen installed in the Paul VI Hall.

      Throughout the day the Pope will respond to three questions - submitted from three different continents - selected from those sent during recent days.

      The Holy Father already has over one million followers on Twitter.

      Vatican City, (VIS) - The Holy Father appointed Bishop Sergio Eduardo Castriani C.S.Sp., bishop prelate of Tefe, Brazil, as metropolitan archbishop of Manaus (area 64,079, population 1,551,000, Catholics 1,331,000, priests 163, permanent deacons 16, religious 298), Brazil. He succeeds Archbishop Luiz Soares Vieira, whose resignation from the pastoral care of the same archdiocese the Holy Father accepted, upon having reached the age limit.

      Memorial of Saint Lucy, Virgin and Martyr

      Is 41:13-20
      Mt 11:11-15

      Today's readings teach us that God saves His people.

      In today's reading God asks us, who is it that grasps your right hand? This very question is a cultural idiom that calls out to those who have received a favor, grace, rescue, help or aid in dire need to acknowledge God's salvific grace. How sad when we hear those who attribute their good news to fortune, as if a mythical person actually exists changing their fate for the better. Or, those who attribute a favorable outcome to their own skills, knowledge, power, or to others.

      All good is attributable to God, and God alone. This we recall amply cited in Luke 18:19 the Gospel narrative account of the dialogue of the rich young ruler and Jesus. Good teacher what must I do to inherit life? "Why do you call me good?" Jesus answered. "No one is good - except God alone." Jesus said this because the man did not think of Jesus as God, but merely as a man. Although Jesus is God and rightly called good, the rich young ruler did not know this. His ability to recognize Jesus as God was shrouded by his materialism since he was wealthy and attached to all his material wealth and could not let go of it. So, too, those who cannot attribute the good in their lives. They cannot see the hand of God because materialism has blinded their mind's eye.

      God is gracious to us and lowers Himself to come down to us. This He did in the birth of Jesus Christ, God Incarnate. But, we also see God consistently do this throughout the divinely revealed history of salvation, especially here in Isaiah.

      It is I who say to you, "Fear not,
      I will help you."

      God sees our frailty. He knows how weak, timid, shy, feeble, inept and broken we are as a fallen and broken people. He knows how we are filled with fear. But, He tells us most sweetly and tenderly "Be not afraid!"

      How can we fear anything in the infinite universe if God is for us? Only one of little faith would be afraid of anything or anyone. Again we recall Luke 12:4-5

      I tell you, my friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body but after that can do no more. I shall show you whom to fear. Be afraid of the one who after killing has the power to cast into Gehenna; yes, I tell you, be afraid of that one.

      Who is that one whom we should fear? No, not God. He died so that everyone could be saved. Not one was left out of His divine intention. He is all merciful. Yet, we know, logically, not everyone will be saved because some will reject the salvation of Jesus Christ. It is ourselves to whom we must be afraid. Only you can condemn yourself to hell by rejecting Jesus Christ and His salvation. We do this by living lives that do not acknowledge Him, that do not reflect His Light, His Gospel, His Truth, His Mercy and Salvation. We are a priestly people, a kingly people, a royal nation, as taught us from the beginning by our first Holy Father, Pope Peter, Apostle and Martyr.

      Isaiah now begins to relate a new prophecy that God will empower Israel to become a new threshing sledge to level the mountains. This prophecy is marvelous because we know John the Baptizer was the one called out of the community to live that role as prophet, revealing the Messiah to Israel. But, the role was given not exclusively to one man, John, but to the whole nation. The prophetic nature of this passage inspires us with hope that Israel will open up its mind and heart as a nation to get rid of the mountains, i.e., that which impedes grace, peace, hope, and causes them to wallow in sin and war, and hatred. In antiquity the messengers of the king went ahead to prepare his way. Leveling mountains and filling valleys is, of course, poetic or metaphors for ridding all obstacles for the king to bring his good news and establish peace. So let us pray now and throughout this Year of Faith for Israel to destroy those obstacles that keep the Messiah from bringing His Good News and establishing authentic peace.

      (copy and distribute)

      http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/121212.cfm (English)

      <http://www.custodia.org>

      or