    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 26, 2012

      TUESDAY 27 NOVEMBER 2012

      . CARDINAL TAURAN AT THE INAUGURATION OF THE KAICIID
      . IN MEMORIAM

      . CARDINAL TAURAN AT THE INAUGURATION OF THE KAICIID

      Vatican City, (VIS) - Cardinal Jean-Louis Tauran, president of the Pontifical Council for Inter-religious Dialogue, gave an address at the inaugural ceremony of the King Abdullah bin Abdulaziz Centre for Inter-religious and Inter-cultural Dialogue (KAICIID) in Vienna, Austria, yesterday. The centre is an independent organisation, recognised by the United Nations and founded by Saudi Arabia, Austria and Spain, to which the Holy See adheres in the role of Founding Observer.

      "It is my privilege to bring to this assembly the greetings of His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI, as well as his prayerful wishes for the success of the activity of this Dialogue Centre", said Cardinal Tauran.

      "We are being watched", he continued. "Everyone is expecting from the initiative of His Majesty King Abdullah, supported by the governments of Austria and Spain, with the assistance of the Holy See as founding observer, honesty, vision and credibility.

      "This Centre presents another opportunity for open dialogue on many issues, including those related to fundamental human rights, in particular religious freedom in all its aspects, for everybody, for every community, everywhere. In this regard, you will understand that the Holy See is particularly attentive to the fate of Christian communities in countries where such a freedom is not adequately guaranteed. Information, new initiatives, aspirations, and perhaps also failures will be brought to our attention. It then will be the task of the centre - and when possible with the cooperation of other organisations - to verify their authenticity and to act consequently, in order that our contemporaries not be deprived of the light and the resources that religion offers for the happiness of every human being.

      "Believers have to work for and to support all that favours the human person in his material, moral and religious aspirations. So three attitudes are required: respect of the other in his/her specificity; mutual objective knowledge of the religious tradition of each other, particularly through education; and collaboration in order that our pilgrimage towards the Truth be realised in freedom and serenity.

      "Concluding and quoting Pope Benedict XVI, I would like to assure you of the cooperation of the Catholic Church: 'By her presence, her prayer and her various works of mercy, especially in education and health care, she wishes to give her best to everyone. She wants to be close to those who are in need, near to those who search for God'.

      "It is in this spirit of brotherhood and friendship that we have to work!", the cardinal concluded.

      . IN MEMORIAM

      Vatican City, (VIS) - The following prelates died recently:

      - Bishop Aloysius Balina of Shinyanga, Tanzania, on 6 November at the age of 67.

      - Bishop Joseph Oliver Bowers S.V.D., emeritus of Saint John's-Basseterre, Antigua, on 6 November at the age of 102.

      - Bishop Alfons Demming, auxiliary of Munster, Germany, on 31 October at the age of 84.

      - Bishop Michel Hrynchyshyn C.SS.R., apostolic exarch for Ukrainian faithful of Byzantine rite resident in France, on 12 November at the age of 83.

      - Bishop Luiz Eugenio Perez, emeritus of Jaboticabal, Brazil, on 14 November at the age of 84.

      - Archbishop Faustino Sainz Munoz, apostolic nuncio, on 31 October at the age of 75.

      - Bishop Patrick Francis Sheehan O.S.A., emeritus of Kano, Nigeria, on 8 November at the age of 80.

      - Bishop Patrick Ronald Cooney, emeritus of Gaylord, U.S.A., on 15 October at the age of 78.

      - Bishop Rene-Marie Ehouzou C.I.M., of Porto Novo, Benin, on 17 October at the age of 68.

      - Bishop Eduardo Herrera Riera, emeritus of Carora, Venezuela, on 27 October at the age of 85.

      - Archbishop Henry Ernest Karlen C.M.M., emeritus of Bulawayo, Zimbabwe, on 28 October at the age of 90.

      - Bishop Felix Eugenio Mkhori, emeritus of Lilongwe, Malawi, on 27 October at the age of 81.

      - Archbishop George Riashi, emeritus of Tripoli of Lebanon of the Greek-Melkites, Lebanon, on 28 October at the age of 78.

      - Bishop Odorico Leovigildo O.F.M., apostolic vicar of Requena, Peru, on 14 October at the age of 100.

      - Bishop Jose Agostinhi Sartori O.F.M., emeritus of Palmas-Francisco Beltrao, Brazil, on 6 June at the age of 83.

      - Bishop Jean-Pierre Urkia M.E.P., apostolic vicar of Pakse, Laos, on 21 December 2011, at the age of 92.

      - Bishop Joseph B. Willigers M.H.M., emeritus of Jinja, Uganda, on 30 September at the age of 81.

      Wednesday of the Thirty-fourth Week in Ordinary Time
      Lectionary: 505

      Revelation 15:1-4
      Gospel Luke 21: 12-19

      Today’s readings fill us with hope, enthusiasm and confidence that Christ is with us now and forever.

      We all experience the daily struggle against the opposing forces in this world. Be not afraid! Christ is with us and gives us wisdom to deal with our situation. Be not weary! Christ refreshes us with His grace through the sacraments and through devout prayer. Like the souls in St. John’s vision we will be in glory singing the praises of God forever if we persevere.

      The fallen and broken society in which we live will try to harm us, be angry with us, threaten us, and for some we may even face death, like our Lord. But even death cannot harm us since we live forever with Christ.

      Be strong and of courage to continue in the faith even when all seems lost. In this Year of Faith we pray to grow more deeply rooted in the faith and more faithful in our thoughts, words and deeds. Trust in God grows by acts of love.

      We need to open our hearts to God in tender intimacy as you would your dearest and closest friend. Open up your hearts to Him telling Him all your fears, worries, concerns, plans, hopes, dreams, and everything that is on your mind.

      Growing in the knowledge of God as tender-loving, kind, compassionate, caring, lenient, forgiving, patient and all the qualities that we need to heal our wounded souls gives us great confidence in Him that becomes perfect trust. Abandoning yourself completely to God in holy loving trust we grow in devotedness and loyalty so that not even the slightest thought that opposes God and His goodness will find a place within us.

      Flee from everything that does not take us more closely to His sacred heart. Unite yourself with Christ in love, acts of faith, love and hope in your words to others bearing witness to Him for His glory now and forever.

      (copy and distribute)

      http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/112712.cfm (English)

      <http://www.custodia.org>

      or