    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 14, 2012

      THURSDAY 15 NOVEMBER 2012

      . THE AIM OF ECUMENISM IS THE UNITY OF DIVIDED CHRISTIANS

      . THE AIM OF ECUMENISM IS THE UNITY OF DIVIDED CHRISTIANS

      Vatican City, (VIS) - The close ties between the work of evangelisation and the need to overcome the divisions that still exist between Christians was the central theme of this morning's address by the Holy Father to the members and consultors of the Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity on the occasion of their plenary assembly dedicated to "The importance of ecumenism in new evangelisation".

      The Pope stated, "We cannot follow a truly ecumenical path while ignoring the crisis of faith affecting vast areas of the world, including those where the proclamation of the Gospel was first accepted and where Christian life has flourished for centuries. On the other hand, we cannot ignore the many signs indicating a persistent need for spirituality, which is made manifest in various ways. The spiritual poverty of many of our contemporaries, who no longer perceive the absence of God in their lives as a form of deprivation, poses a challenge to all Christians".

      In this context, the Pope added, "we, believers in Christ, are called upon to return to the essential, to the heart of our faith, to bear witness to the living God before the world. … We must not forget what it is that unites us: our faith in God the Father and Creator, revealed in His Son Jesus Christ, effusing the Spirit which revives and sanctifies. This is the faith we received in Baptism and it is the faith that, in hope and charity, we can profess together.

      "In the light of the primacy of faith we may also understand the importance of the theological dialogues and conversations in which the Catholic Church is engaged with Churches and ecclesial communities. Even when we cannot discern the possibility of re-establishing full communion in the near future, such dialogue facilitates our awareness, not only of resistance and obstacles, but also of the richness of experience, spiritual life and theological reflection, which become a stimulus for ever deeper testimony".

      Benedict XVI emphasised that the aim of ecumenism is "visible unity between divided Christians". To this end, we must "dedicate all our forces, but we must also recognise that, in the final analysis, this unity is a gift from God, and may come to us only from the Father through His Son, because the Church is His Church. From this perspective we see, not only the importance of invoking the Lord for visible unity, but also how striving after this end is relevant to the new evangelisation.

      "It is good to journey together towards this objective, provided that the Churches and ecclesial communities do not stop along the way, accepting the various contradictions between them as normal or as the best they can hope to achieve. It is, rather, in the full communion of faith, Sacraments and ministry that the strength of God, present and working in the world, will find concrete expression".

      The Pope concluded, "Unity is on the one hand the fruit of faith and, on the other, a means - almost a prerequisite - for an increasingly credible proclamation of the faith to those who do not yet know the Saviour or who, while having received the proclamation of the Gospel, have almost forgotten this valuable gift. True ecumenism, recognising the primacy of divine action, demands above all patience, humility, and abandonment to the will of the Lord. In the final analysis, ecumenism and new evangelisation both require the dynamism of conversion, understood as the sincere desire to follow Christ and to fully adhere to the will of the Father".

      Vatican City, (VIS) - The Holy Father today received in audience eleven prelates of the Episcopal Conference of France, on their "ad limina" visit:

      - Archbishop Thierry Jordan of Reims

      - Bishop Jean-Luc Bouilleret of Amiens.

      - Bishop Jacques Benoit-Gonnin of Beauvais.

      - Bishop Gilbert Louis of Chalons.

      - Bishop Philippe Gueneley of Langres.

      - Bishop Herve Giraud of Soissons.

      - Bishop Marc Stenger of Troyes.

      - Archbishop Laurent Ulrich of Lille, accompanied by Auxiliary Bishop Gerard Coliche.

      - Bishop Jean-Paul Jaeger of Arras.

      - Archbishop Francois Garnier of Cambrai.

      Following yesterday's general audience, Benedict XVI met with Saad Hariri, former prime minister of Lebanon. The former prime minister subsequently went on to meet with Archbishop Dominique Mamberti, secretary for Relations with States.

      (copy and distribute)

      http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/111512.cfm (English)

      <http://www.custodia.org>

      or