    Message 1 of 1 , May 23, 2012

      THURSDAY 24 MAY 2012

      . RETURNING TO THE ESSENTIAL ASPECTS OF CHRISTIAN LIFE IN ORDER TO RELAUNCH EVANGELISATION
      . PRESIDENT OF BULGARIA AND PRIME MINISTER OF MACEDONIA RECEIVED BY THE POPE
      . THE CHURCH IS COMMITTED TO UNIVERSAL HEALTHCARE COVERAGE

      . RETURNING TO THE ESSENTIAL ASPECTS OF CHRISTIAN LIFE IN ORDER TO RELAUNCH EVANGELISATION

      Vatican City, 24 May 2012 (VIS) - At midday today the Holy Father received participants in the sixty-fourth general assembly of the Italian Episcopal Conference, to whom he delivered an address focusing on the challenges of the new evangelisation in a society increasingly distanced from God. "Our situation requires renewed drive, aimed at the essential aspects of Christian faith and life", he said. "At a time in which God has, for many people, become the great Unknown and Jesus is simply an important figure of the past, we cannot relaunch missionary activity without renewing the quality of our own faith and prayer. ... We will not be able to win mankind to the Gospel unless we ourselves first return to a profound experience of God".

      The Pope began his remarks by recalling that this autumn marks the fiftieth anniversary of the opening of Vatican Council II, and he exhorted the prelates to implement its teachings in order to meet the social and cultural transformations of our time which, he said, "also have visible consequences in the religious sphere". Societies of ancient Christian tradition are today characterised by secularism. Thus the spiritual and moral heritage which lies at the roots of the West "is no longer understood in its profound significance, ... and a rich soil risks becoming an inhospitable desert".

      The Pope identified a number of worrying trends, including a drop in religious practice and diminishing participation in the Sacraments. "Many baptised have lost their identity. They do not know the essential contents of the faith, or believe they can cultivate that faith without ecclesial mediation. And while many look doubtfully at Church teaching, others reduce the Kingdom of God to certain broad values, which are certainly related to the Gospel but which do not touch the central nucleus of Christian faith".

      "Unfortunately it is God Himself Who remains excluded from many people's horizon and, when not met with indifference, closure or rejection, discourse about God is relegated to the subjective sphere, reduced to an intimate and private affair which is marginalised from the public conscience. The heart of the crisis affecting Europe also arises from this abandonment, this lack of openness to the Transcendent".

      In this context, Benedict XVI highlighted the fact that "new methods of announcing the Gospel or of pastoral activity are not enough to ensure that the Christian message finds greater acceptance". As the Council Fathers said, "we must begin again from God, celebrated, professed and witnessed. ... Our primary task, our true and only task, remains that of dedicating our lives to the one thing that ... is truly dependable, necessary and ultimate. Men live from God, from He Whom, often tentatively and unawares, they seek in order to give full meaning to lives. We have the task of announcing Him, revealing Him and leading others to meet Him".

      The Holy Father continued: "The fundamental condition in order to be able to speak about God is to speak with God, increasingly to become men of God, nourished by an intense life of prayer and moulded by His Grace. ... We must allow ourselves to be found and seized by God so as to help the people we meet be touched by the Truth. ... The old and new mission facing us is that of introducing the men and women of our time to a relationship with God, to help them to open their minds and hearts to the God Who seeks them and wants to come close to them, leading them to understand that doing His will does not curb freedom; rather, it means being truly free, it means achieving true goodness in life.

      "God is the guarantor not the competitor of our freedom", the Pope added in conclusion. "Where space is given to the Gospel, and therefore to friendship with Christ, man realises he is the object of a love which purifies, warms, renews, and makes us capable of serving mankind with divine love".

      . PRESIDENT OF BULGARIA AND PRIME MINISTER OF MACEDONIA RECEIVED BY THE POPE

      Vatican City, 24 May 2012 (VIS) - In a traditional annual meeting coinciding with the commemoration of the Feast of Sts. Cyril and Methodius, the Holy Father this morning received in separate audiences Rosen Plevneliev, president of the Republic of Bulgaria, and Nikola Gruevski, prime minister of the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, each accompanied by a delegation. The delegations subsequently went on to meet with Cardinal Secretary of State Tarcisio Bertone S.D.B. who was accompanied by Archbishop Dominique Mamberti, secretary for Relations with States.

      . THE CHURCH IS COMMITTED TO UNIVERSAL HEALTHCARE COVERAGE

      Vatican City, 24 May 2012 (VIS) - Archbishop Zygmunt Zimowski, head of the Holy See delegation to the sixty-fifth World Health Assembly, yesterday delivered an address before that gathering, which is being held in Geneva, Switzerland, from 21 to 26 May. Speaking English, the archbishop reaffirmed the Holy See's support for Resolution WHA64.9 on "sustainable health financing structures and universal coverage", which urges member States to aim for affordable universal coverage and access for all citizens on the basis of equity and solidarity.

      He also recalled how Benedict XVI has emphasised the importance of establishing "real distributive justice which, on the basis of objective needs, guarantees adequate care to all. Consequently, if it is not to become inhuman, the world of healthcare cannot disregard the moral rules that must govern it".

      Archbishop Zimowski noted that "more countries, especially those with emerging economies, are moving towards universal coverage", thanks also to "good policies that promote equity. ... Therefore my delegation strongly believes that in the endeavour to promote universal coverage, fundamental values such as equity, human rights and social justice need to become explicit policy objectives", he said.

      The archbishop made an appeal for high-income countries to show greater solidarity towards poorer nations in order to overcome funding shortfalls in health. In this context he quoted the Encyclical "Caritas in veritate" in which Benedict XVI writes: "More economically developed nations should do all they can to allocate larger portions of their gross domestic product to development aid, thus respecting the obligations that the international community has undertaken in this regard".

      In conclusion the head of the Holy See delegation affirmed that "progress towards universal coverage cannot be the effort of State machinery alone. It requires support from civil society. ... With over 120,000 social and healthcare institutions worldwide, the Catholic Church is in many developing countries one of the key partners of the State in healthcare delivery, providing services in remote areas to rural low-income populations, enabling them to access services that would otherwise be out of their reach. The efforts and contribution of such organisations and institutions towards universal access, merit the recognition and support of both the State and the international community, without obliging them to participate in activities they find morally abhorrent".

      Today we read once again in the Acts of the Apostles the very loud and very clear message of God's divine choice of St. Paul, an Apostle, as the successor of St. Peter, as the second Pope of Rome.

      The story continues the dispute of St. Paul with the Jewish Sanhedrin. The Jerusalem Temple Council comprised of both Sadducees and Pharisees. Yesterday's reading made it clear that the Sadducees did not believe in the resurrection, angels and spirits. They were materialists in their thinking rejecting anything that was not empirical, tangible or observable as any scientist would in a laboratory conducting physical experiments.

      St. Paul was inspired to win favor among the Pharisees by declaring himself a Pharisee, born of a long line of Pharisees, and that he was really on trial for the dispute regarding the resurrection. He immediately won sympathy from the Pharisees who defend the belief that human persons will rise from the dead, have souls, or a human spirit and that God created an angelic order. Some began to wonder if St. Paul actually did encounter a spirit of whom he now preaches, as we know, he must have recounted to them his miraculous conversion on the road to Damascus, Syria.

      Also, yesterday we read how Almighty God appeared to St. Paul telling him he must witness for Him in Rome just as he had in Jerusalem. This is a very subtle point always missed, but God Himself declares St. Paul His witness at Rome. It is the same Jesus Christ who instituted His Holy Catholic Church, and personally appointed St. Peter, now deceased, as the first Pope. In the absence of a papal leader at Rome, Christ Himself appoints St. Paul as St. Peter's successor sending him to Rome to bear witness continuing the role and mission given prior to St. Peter.

      There is only one Apostolic witness at Rome, not two. Christ created His Church just as He created the cosmos, with divine order. This sacred order applied to the Church we call the Church hierarchy. Christ does not impose on Himself, nor on any one of us, let alone pitting one apostle against another in the same diocese or jurisdiction. It is unthinkable that St. Peter was alive at Rome as head of the Church while Jesus is sending St. Paul to Rome to bear witness. Jesus Christ would not do such a thing and impose against the very sacred order He created. It is illogical to think that St. Peter is alive at Rome while Jesus is sending St. Paul there. This can only mean that St. Peter is already dead, martyred, as we know from the same book of the Acts of the Apostles, that St. Peter was crucified at Rome. So too do we read in today's Gospel the prophecy by Christ about St. Peter's future death.

      Just as Christ personally called all of the Apostles, He called St. Paul on the road to Damascus. The manner in which St. Paul was called to be an Apostle is certainly unique and singular. So, too, is his appointment by Christ as St. Peter's successor.

      St. Paul. therefore is LINUS, as it was a hypocoristic name or a nickname for Paulinus or Paulus in Latin.

      Pray for the Pope every day. When you say your daily rosary to our Lady, offer up some part of the prayers or all of them for the benefit of the Holy Father. Keep him in mind in your daily thoughts and prayers and be a good child of the Church in fidelity and devotion to Christ.

      http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/052412.cfm (English)