Volume 2, No. 52

  • jlupia2
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 2002

      MONDAY 4 March, 2002

      Feast of St. Casimir

      * * *

      WEAR THE BROWN SCAPULAR OF OUR LADY OF MOUNT
      CARMEL AND PRAY THE ROSARY DAILY FOR THE
      CONVERSION OF THE WHOLE WORLD AND FOR CHURCH
      UNITY

      • Pope´s Angelus Address
      • Virtual Papal Visit Spurs Cheers in Moscow Cathedral
      • Bad Knee Forces Pope to Cancel Another Parish Visit
      • Another Plea for Cease-Fire Between Israelis and Palestinians
      • Dialogue Urged to Solve Crisis in Madagascar
      • Cardinal Ratzinger Highlights Christian Challenge Following
      Sept. 11
      • Irish Confused by Abortion Referendum
      • HOW TO POST A QUESTION TO THE CATHOLIC REFERENCE
      DESK AND HOW TO SUBMIT AN ARTICLE FOR PUBLICATION
      • EUCHARISTIC PRAYER IN HONOR OF THE SORROWFUL
      HEART OF MARY

      Pope´s Angelus Address

      Urgent for Christians to Rediscover Identity, John Paul II Says

      VATICAN CITY, MARCH 3, 2002 (Zenit.org).- Here is a translation
      of John Paul II´s address at midday today to pilgrims gathered in
      St. Peter´s Square to pray the Angelus. The address was in
      Italian.

      Dear Brothers and Sisters!

      1. With today´s Sunday of Lent we enter the heart of this singular
      time of conversion and spiritual renewal, which will lead us to
      Easter.

      The third, fourth and fifth Sundays of Lent constitute, in fact, a
      stimulating baptismal itinerary, which goes back to the first
      centuries of Christianity, when it was the norm for baptisms to be
      administered during the Paschal Vigil. After three years of a
      well-structured catechesis, in the last weeks of Lent the
      "catechumens" completed the final stages of their journey,
      receiving symbolically the Creed, the Our Father and the Gospel.
      This is why today also the liturgy of this Sunday is characterized
      by three texts of the Gospel of John, proposed according to a very
      ancient scheme: Jesus promises living water to the Samaritan
      woman, gives sight to the blind man, and resurrects his friend
      Lazarus from the tomb. The perspective of baptism is clear:
      through water, symbol of the Holy Spirit, the believer receives
      light and is reborn in faith to a new and eternal life.

      2. In many realms of ancient Christian tradition, the genuine
      religious sense is unfortunately increasingly being lost.
      Therefore, it has become urgent for Christians to renew the
      awareness of their own identity. In other words, it is necessary
      that they rediscover their baptism, appreciating the inexhaustible
      spiritual vigor of sanctifying grace received in it, in order to
      transmit it to every realm of personal and social life.

      The "source of water that springs for eternal life" (John 4:14), of
      which today´s Gospel page speaks, is present in every baptized
      person, but must constantly be cleansed of the residues of sin,
      so that it is not suffocated and dried up.

      3. For this, our collaboration is indispensable. Let us now
      receive the invitation of the liturgy to drink from the sources of
      eternal life. May Mary, Mother of the Church, help those who are
      preparing to receive baptism, as well as all those who have
      already received it, to undertake in these weeks a journey of
      radical interior renewal.

      [After praying the Angelus, the Holy Father spoke the following
      words]

      The news that comes from Madagascar has caused great
      concern and regret in my spirit. While I trust the traditional
      integrity and nonviolence of the people of Madagascar, I exhort
      those in authority to take up again with trust and courage the way
      of dialogue for a rapid solution to the grave crisis, solely in view
      of the common good. In particular, I invite the Christian
      community of the Great Island to raise fervent prayers to implore
      the Lord for the gift of peace in justice and reciprocal respect.

      The latest news coming from Jerusalem has also profoundly
      saddened me. Violence, death and reprisals cannot but push
      the civilian populations, whether Israeli or Palestinian, toward
      despair and hatred. May an immediate cease-fire, together with
      a renewed sense of humanity, in respect of international laws,
      silence the arms and make the voice of reason be heard! I ask
      you to join me in my prayer for this intention.

      I now greet especially the faithful of the parish of St. Gelasius I,
      where I should have gone to visit this morning. Beloved, I can
      assure you that I was spiritually present at your eucharistic
      celebration, and that I will continue to support you with prayer.
      Hoping that I will be able to be among you in the future, I give you
      my heartfelt blessing.

      * * *

      Virtual Papal Visit Spurs Cheers in Moscow Cathedral

      From the Vatican, a Satellite Linkup to 6 Countries

      VATICAN CITY, MARCH 3, 2002 (Zenit.org).- John Paul II´s
      visit-by-video to a Moscow cathedral prompted a five-minute-long
      burst of applause from the 1,000 young people gathered to
      watch him on three gigantic screens.

      A multi-city connection by satellite put the Pope in touch Saturday
      afternoon with youth in Moscow; Valencia, Spain; Athens,
      Greece; Strasbourg, France; Budapest, Hungary; and Vienna,
      Austria.

      John Paul II presided over the event from Paul VI Hall at the
      Vatican, accompanied by 8,000 people. Most of them were
      university students, with whom he prayed the rosary before the
      image of the Virgin of Loreto.

      In Moscow´s Catholic cathedral, Archbishop Tadeusz
      Kondrusiewicz called out: "Holy Father, we await you in Moscow!"

      John Paul II, on his end, responded in Russian, "Da svidania."

      With the video meeting, the Holy Father aimed to encourage the
      youths to build a new Europe, inspired by the religious and
      cultural heritage of Christianity.

      "Only new men and women can renew history," the Pope said.
      He believes that the construction of a new society is a key
      challenge posed by the upcoming World Youth Day in Toronto.
      He invited his young listeners to attend that July 18-28 event.

      The Bishop of Rome appealed to his young listeners to promote
      "the dialogue between faith and culture in the universities, so
      that the leaven of the Gospel will stimulate and sustain university
      research and study spiritually and morally."

      Shortly before the Holy Father´s arrival, a white-haired university
      professor from Moscow offered his testimony to the young
      people gathered in the Immaculate Conception Cathedral, as
      well as to those listening via satellite.

      Anatoly Fiodorovic Jotov, philosophy professor at Moscow State
      University, recalled that in September 2000 he was in Rome for
      the Jubilee celebration of university professors.

      "I then understood to what degree it is dangerous for science to
      be devoid of ethics," he said. "Scientific thought, deprived of its
      moral foundations, produces a yet more terrifying monster than
      the dream of reason."

      "Precisely for this reason, I asked the Church to be baptized," the
      professor said.

      The virtual meeting with the Pope was preceded in the Russian
      cathedral by a concelebrated Mass presided over by Archbishop
      Kondrusiewicz and dozens of priests.

      The Russian archbishop made an appeal for Christian unity. He
      explained that the euro demonstrates that unity is possible in
      economic and political terms, but that it should take place first
      and foremost in the name of spiritual values.

      * * *

      Bad Knee Forces Pope to Cancel Another Parish Visit

      But Keeps Rest of Appointments Despite Arthritic Condition

      VATICAN CITY, MARCH 3, 2002 (Zenit.org).- For the second
      week in a row, John Paul II had to cancel a visit to a Roman
      parish because of a bad knee.

      However, during his video meeting on Saturday with young
      people from Moscow and five other European cities, he seemed
      in good health and good humor.

      In a statement issued Saturday, Vatican spokesman Joaquín
      Navarro-Valls reported that "the Holy Father has postponed the
      visit planned for Sunday, March 3, to the parish of St. Gelasius I
      Pope, as the pain of an arthritic nature persists in his right knee."

      Cardinal Camillo Ruini, the Pope´s vicar for Rome, who
      substituted the Pontiff in the parish visit, told the faithful: "The
      Holy Father´s visit was only postponed because of the pain in
      his knee, a problem that in no way is worrying, because it is
      small and transitory."

      The Pope had difficulty walking on Saturday afternoon during his
      video meeting, which was based in Paul VI Hall and drew
      thousands of young people. He went through the auditorium in a
      moving stand pushed by several attendants.

      He greeted the pilgrims as usual, responded to those who
      wished to shake his hand with a good-natured pat and broad
      smile.

      When he began to speak, he was interrupted several times by
      Italian youths shouting his name, "Giovanni Paolo."

      "This is not found in the litanies," the Pope said, eliciting roars of
      laughter.

      John Paul II kept all his audiences last week, both public and
      private, and intends to stay on schedule, the Vatican Press Office
      said.

      The Pope canceled the two parish visits because he would have
      had to walk a fair amount and remain standing for considerable
      time, which would not have helped the arthritic problem.

      * * *

      Another Plea for Cease-Fire Between Israelis and Palestinians

      Pope Laments Bloody Weekend in Holy Land

      VATICAN CITY, MARCH 3, 2002 (Zenit.org).- At the height of a
      new wave of violence in the Holy Land, John Paul II called for an
      "immediate" cease-fire between Israelis and Palestinians.

      At the end of his weekly Angelus meeting with pilgrims, the Pope
      said he was "profoundly saddened" by the latest news from
      Jerusalem.

      "Violence, death and reprisals cannot but push the civilian
      populations, whether Israeli or Palestinian, toward despair and
      hatred," he said today from the window of his study, to the
      crowds below in St. Peter´s Square.

      "May an immediate cease-fire, together with a renewed sense of
      humanity, in respect of international laws, silence the arms and
      make the voice of reason be heard!" the Pope pleaded.

      John Paul II asked the faithful to join him in prayer for this
      intention.

      Since Saturday afternoon, Palestinian attacks in the West Bank
      and Gaza, as well as a suicide attack in Jerusalem, have left at
      least 21 Israelis dead, including seven soldiers.

      Palestinian attacks have intensified since Thursday, when the
      Israeli army began an extensive operation in the West Bank
      refugee camps of Balata and Jenin. That operation left 23 dead,
      including 21 Palestinians.

      In addition, medical and Palestinian security sources report that
      two members of the Palestinian news services were killed today
      by the Israeli army, which carried out an incursion in the West
      Bank city of Kalkiliya. These put the death toll at 1,336 since the
      intifada began in September 2000. Of those, 1,009 were
      Palestinians.

      * * *

      Dialogue Urged to Solve Crisis in Madagascar

      VATICAN CITY, MARCH 3, 2002 (Zenit.org).- John Paul II asked
      the political leaders of Madagascar to initiate dialogue as a
      solution to the island nation´s grave crisis.

      After expressing his "great concern and regret" over the news
      from Madagascar, the Holy Father exhorted those in authority to
      "take up again with trust and courage the way of dialogue for a
      rapid solution to the grave crisis, solely in view of the common
      good."

      "In particular, I invite the Christian community of the Great Island
      to raise fervent prayers to implore the Lord for the gift of peace in
      justice and reciprocal respect," the Pontiff added, at the end of
      his Sunday meeting with pilgrims to pray the Angelus.

      On Friday, outgoing President Didier Ratsiraka declared martial
      law in Antananarivo, the capital, and transferred his power to an
      appointed military government in this nation of 15.9 million off
      the coast of southern Africa.

      Mayor Marc Ravalomanana of Antananarivo, Ratsiraka´s rival in
      the presidential elections, proclaimed himself "president of the
      republic" on Feb. 22, saying that he was elected on the first
      round, "with 52.15% of the vote as opposed to 35.67%" for
      Ratsiraka.

      Official results published in January gave 46.21% of the votes in
      the first round to Ravalomanana, and 40.89% to Ratsiraka.

      * * *

      Cardinal Ratzinger Highlights Christian Challenge Following
      Sept. 11

      "We See More Clearly the Abyss Man Faces"

      LUGANO, Switzerland, MARCH 3, 2002 (ZENIT.org-Avvenire).-
      The conventional wisdom since Sept. 11 is that a new world
      peace requires that "the Christian faith must give up its claim to
      truth," says Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger.

      The prefect of the Vatican Congregation for the Doctrine of the
      Faith made that observation on Friday when addressing a
      conference in memory of Bishop Eugenio Corecco of Lugano.
      The topic was "Faith, Truth and Tolerance." Here, the cardinal
      elaborated on his views.

      Q: Eminence, it has been said that after Sept. 11, the world will
      never be the same. Has something also changed for the
      Church?

      Cardinal Ratzinger: I would not say that with Sept. 11 there was a
      revelation of absolutely new things. The threat of terrorist
      violence already existed. Now, however, we are paying more
      attention to that threat. If something has changed, it is our
      Western awareness of the perception of danger. Paraphrasing
      St. Augustine, we could say that today we see more clearly the
      abyss man faces.

      Q: The confrontation with Islam is a burning issue. In your
      opinion, can one speak of the superiority of the Judeo-Christian
      culture?

      Cardinal Ratzinger: It is a minefield, but I don´t want to avoid the
      question. When we speak of culture, we must distinguish the
      values of its historic realizations. The truth of the Christian faith
      appears to us in all its depth, but we mustn´t forget that, sadly, it
      has been darkened many times by the concrete behavior of
      those who called themselves Christians. Islam has also had
      moments of great splendor and decadence in the course of its
      history.

      Q: Hence, one cannot speak of the superiority of one culture over
      another?

      Cardinal Ratzinger: Naturally, we can and must say, for example,
      that the values of monogamous marriage, of the dignity of
      woman, etc., undoubtedly demonstrate a cultural superiority.

      It is true that the Muslim world is not totally mistaken when it
      reproaches the West of Christian tradition of moral decadence
      and the manipulation of human life. ... This imposes on us a
      serious examination of conscience. What is important is to go to
      the roots of the values proclaimed by the different religions. It is
      here where a real interreligious dialogue can begin.

      Q: Which is more dangerous, fundamentalism or religious
      indifference?

      Cardinal Ratzinger: There are different forms of fundamentalism.
      For example, the U.S. bishops prefer not to use the word
      fundamentalism to indicate violent extremism, because part of
      the Protestant world in the United States describes itself as
      fundamentalist, but without falling prey to violence and
      fanaticism.

      And religious indifference also has different forms. There are
      those who do not regard themselves as Christian but who have
      an underlying ethical impulse. And there is also the anarchic and
      arrogant indifference of those who presume to dismantle man
      and remake his pieces in their way and not according to the logic
      of the Creator.

      Q: You often speak of a minority Catholicism and of a Church
      that will be reduced inevitably in the future. How can this be
      reconciled with the Pope´s appeal to Europe not to forget its own
      Christian roots?

      Cardinal Ratzinger: The mass Church can be something
      beautiful but it is not necessarily the only way of being Church.
      However, this does not mean that it will be reduced to a group
      enclosed in itself.

      The Church has a universal responsibility, a missionary
      responsibility to proclaim the new evangelization. Part of this
      task is the appeal to the Christian roots of Europe. What is more,
      the Church must do its utmost with all its creative energies so
      that the living and attractive force of the Gospel does not
      diminish.

      * * *

      Irish Confused by Abortion Referendum

      Catholic Bishops Clarify They Urge a "Yes" Vote

      DUBLIN, Ireland, MARCH 3, 2002 (Zenit.org).- This week´s
      abortion referendum has left Irish voters bewildered, and divided
      bishops, politicians, lawyers and doctors, the Telegraph
      newspaper of London reported.

      The complexity of the question is dampening many people´s
      enthusiasm to take part Wednesday in the republic´s fifth
      plebiscite on the issue in two decades, the London daily said.

      After three weeks of intensive campaigning, an Irish Times
      opinion poll on Friday showed a fall in the number of committed
      voters on either side of the debate, and a rise in the proportion of
      people who say they will not vote or are undecided.

      Their confusion is understandable. Across the country, posters
      urging a Yes vote to protect the lives of the unborn are plastered
      beside those urging a No vote to protect the lives of the unborn.

      Over the weekend the archbishop of Dublin, Cardinal Desmond
      Connell, was to tell his congregations at Mass that the Irish
      bishops´ statement in support of the government´s abortion
      amendment proposals "has been fully endorsed by the Church
      authorities in Rome," the Irish Times reported Saturday.

      A letter of his, to be read at Masses in the archdiocese, said:
      "The Catholic bishops of Ireland are encouraging you to vote Yes
      on Wednesday, while respecting your right in conscience to vote
      against the proposal."

      The referendum has its roots in a 1992 ruling by Ireland´s
      supreme court that a 14-year-old girl was entitled to an abortion
      because she was suicidal.

      It was a controversial interpretation of a 1983 constitutional
      amendment guaranteeing an equal right to life for the mother
      and her unborn child. Now, the people are being asked to roll
      back that judgment and remove the threat of suicide as a reason
      for abortion.

      If passed, the new amendment would restrict abortions to those
      deemed medically essential to protect the mother´s physical, but
      not mental, health.

      In the new proposed amendment, the unborn life to be protected
      is defined as starting after implantation in the womb rather than
      at fertilization -- wording intended to safeguard in vitro fertilization
      treatment and IUD use. Some observers note that that is a
      misuse of terms, since a new human life starts at fertilization.

      If passed, the subsequent legislation would be placed in the
      constitution, prescribing penalties of up to 12 years in jail for
      carrying out or procuring an illegal abortion in Ireland.

      The length and detail of the amendment has generated heated
      and contradictory interpretations from lawyers and doctors.
      Some argue that the measure would lead to the outlawing of the
      morning-after pill; others that it clarifies its legality.

      At the heart of the debate is what John Bowman, a historian and
      broadcaster, terms Ireland´s "agreed hypocrisy": More than
      7,000 Irish women travel to the United Kingdom each year to
      have abortions while Ireland debates ways of refining its own
      prohibitions.

      Along with the Catholic bishops, the political party Fianna Fáil,
      led by Prime Minister Bertie Ahern, has called for an unequivocal
      Yes vote. Ahern has stated that a No vote -- which would
      maintain the status quo -- would pave the way for a liberal
      abortion regime.

      In the No camp is a loose coalition, including the main
      opposition party Fine Gael, the Labor Party, women´s groups,
      Sinn Fein and some pro-life supporters, including Dana
      Rosemary Scallon, a Europarliamentarian and former
      Eurovision Song Contest winner, who believes that the
      amendment does not go far enough to protect the unborn. A
      number of bishops in the Anglican Church of Ireland have also
      voiced their opposition.

      Roman catholic News is very happy to announce new exciting
      links available to you, our fine subscribers. Some links require
      Realplayer a software program that allows you to see live
      television and hear audio recordings as well as listen to live
      radio. The software is free. To obtain your free copy go to EWTN
      Live TV and Radio on the link below and scroll down until you
      find the Download Free RealPlayer link and click it on.

      2. Live EWTN TV and Radio
      http://www.ewtn.com/audiovideo/index.htm

      • Live EWTN TV - Spanish • Catholic World Today Radio
      * Today's Homily (Video) • Audio of Today's Homily
      • Audio of Pope's Wednesday Audience • Radio Catolica Mundial
      • Audio of EWTN's The World Over • Mother Angelica Live (Video)
      * The Journey Home (Video) • EWTN Religious Catalogue
      (Video)

      Send EWTN donations online:
      https://www.ewtn.com/ewtn/ssl/donation/donation_ewtn.asp

      http://www.nccbuscc.org/nab/030402.htm

      http://www.universalis.com/cgi-bin/display/-600/USA/Readings.html

      http://www.monksofadoration.org/audiolit.html

      * * *

      5. English and Polish-speaking radio Lenten retreats Fr. Justin
      Rosary Hour http://www.RosaryHour.net

      Polish Rosary Hour by the Conventual Fransicans
      http://www.rosaryhour.net/ra/program.ram

      http://www.monksofadoration.org/rosarych.html

      DOWNLOAD FREE SCRIPTURAL ROSARY
      http://www.virtualrosary.org/

      http://www.suba.com/~gunkel/divinemercy/dmvirtchap.htm

      * * *

      8. BIOGRAPHY OF MAMA GILI WITH PHOTO
      http://www.holyfaceofjesus.com/mama.html
      Then once inside click on
      PRAYER FOR THE BEATIFICATION OF MAMA GILI

      The Mama Gili Guild was established several years ago to
      gather, collect, and publish information on Dolores Immacolata
      Gili (1892-1985) for an investigation into her cause as a Servant
      of God, as well as to promote her cause and to perpetuate her
      cult by directing prayer groups assembled in her honor. It has
      continuously enjoyed the ecclesiastical approval of Theodore
      Cardinal McCarrick, and the Most Reverend John Joseph Myers,
      Archbishop of Newark, New Jersey.

      Call or write today regarding favors granted through the
      intercession of Dolores Immacolata "Mama" Gili, or, for more
      information about the cause of her investigation for canonization to:

      HOW TO POST A QUESTION TO THE CATHOLIC REFERENCE
      DESK AND HOW TO SUBMIT AN ARTICLE FOR PUBLICATION

      Roman Catholic News is currently ranked 13 of 615 Catholic
      Yahoo groups, with over 500 subscriptions, and growing steadily
      on a daily basis. Your membership as a subscriber is important
      to us and helps us grow in numbers which prompts us to
      improve our services. Please spread the word that a Catholic
      clergy run Catholic News group and Reference Desk are
      available that keeps you informed on all the activities of Pope
      John Paul II, the Holy See, the Roman Curia, Catholic doctrine,
      critical world news, biblical studies, and its Catholic Reference
      Desk answers questions you post. When posting questions
      please place in the subject field of your email "Reference Desk".
      Emails can be sent to either Roman-Catholic-News
      owner@yahoogroups.com, or to jlupia2@.... Articles
      written by professional and scholarly authors can also be sent to
      the email addresses above for consideration in a future issue.
      Authors should keep in mind that Roman Catholic News is a
      not-for-profit organization and considers publishing articles
      without paying any monetary compensation to authors. All
      materials submitted and published are copyright protected in
      accordance to the latest ruling from the Office of Copyright,
      Library of Congress, Washington, D.C. Your subscription is
      important to us. Welcome to Roman Catholic News. Tell a friend.

      * * *

      EUCHARISTIC PRAYER IN HONOR OF THE SORROWFUL
      HEART OF MARY

      "Eternal Father, through the Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of
      Mary, I offer you the crucified Body of Your dearly beloved Son,
      Jesus Christ, in reparation for all the sins committed against you
      and for the conversion and salvation of the whole world."

      "Eternal Father, through the Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of
      Mary, I offer you the precious Blood of Your dearly beloved Son,
      Jesus Christ, in reparation for all the sins committed against you
      and for the conversion and salvation of the whole world."

      approaches unity among all Christians of the various
      confessions will increase until they reach full communion." John
      Paul II, Tertio Millennio Adveniente, 16

      clinging to her robes while walking down a dusty and busy
      crowded street and you'll always be safe."

      To gain access to all of the Roman Catholic News archives go to
      the URL:

      There are four ways to access archived articles: (1) Go to the
      Home Page panel on the far left and click on the word
      "Messages" just below the word "Home"; (2) then click on the
      articles posted by date; (3) or click on the blue Arabic numerals
      in the box for the month in the yearly calendar window at the
      bottom of the page; (4) or type in a keyword in the long
      rectangular white box alongside the long rectangular button that
      reads SEARCH ARCHIVE, and then click that button.

      unless specified otherwise. All articles from VIS, VID, Zenit ,
      Associated Press (AP), Reuters, and Noticias Eclesiales are
      republished by approval and courtesy of these news agencies.
      We encourage our readers to send financial support to Zenit, a
      private news organization in Rome. Zenit (http://www.zenit.org),
      VIS (V.I.S. - Vatican Information Service) Zenit , Associated Press
      (AP), Reuters, (VID) Vidimus Dominum, and Noticias Eclesiales
      own the original copyright for their news releases as credited. All
      copyright materials copied in any form must include the
      appropriate copyright owner; for Roman Catholic News use our
      URL as follows:
      correspondence should be sent to: