    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2011

      MONDAY 4 APRIL 2011

      . DECREES OF THE CONGREGATION FOR THE CAUSES OF SAINTS
      . DAY OF REFLECTION, DIALOGUE AND PRAYER IN ASSISI
      . LENT: TIME OF THE GOODNESS OF THE LORD

      . DECREES OF THE CONGREGATION FOR THE CAUSES OF SAINTS

      VATICAN CITY, 2 APR 2011 (VIS) - Today, during a private audience with Cardinal Angelo Amato S.D.B., prefect of the Congregation for the Causes of Saints, the Pope authorised the congregation to promulgate the following decrees:

      MIRACLES

      - Venerable Servant of God Serafino Morazzone, Italian diocesan priest (1747-1822).

      - Venerable Servant of God Clemente Vismara, Italian professed priest of the Pontifical Institute for Foreign Missions (1897-1988).

      - Venerable Servant of God Elena Aiello, Italian foundress of the Minim Sisters of the Passion of Our Lord Jesus Christ (1895-1961).

      - Venerable Servant of God Maria Catalina Irigoyen Echegaray (Sr. Maria Desposorios), Spanish professed nun of the Congregation of Servants of Mary, Ministers of the Sick (1848-1918).

      - Venerable Servant of God Enrica Alfieri (nee Maria Angela), Italian professed nun of the Congregation of the Sisters of Charity of St. Jeanne-Antide Thouret (1891-1951).

      MARTYRDOM

      - Servant of God Peter Adrian Toulorge, French professed priest of the Premonstratensian Regular Canons, killed in hatred of the faith at Coutances , France (1757-1793).

      - Servants of God Francisco Esteban Lacal, Spanish professed priest of the Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate, and twenty-one companions, and Candido Castan San Jose, Spanish layman, killed in hatred of the faith in Spain in 1936.

      HEROIC VIRTUES

      - Servant of God Thomas Kurialacherry, Indian, first bishop of Changanacherry and founder of the Sisters of the Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament (1873-1925).

      - Servant of God Adolphe Chatillon (Br. Theophanius-Leo), Canadian professed religious of the Brothers of Christian Schools (1871-1929).

      - Servant of God Maria Chiara of St. Teresa of the Child Jesus (nee Vincenza Damato), Italian professed nun of the Order of St. Clare (1909-1948).

      - Servant of God Maria Dolores Inglese (nee Maria Libera Italia), Italian professed nun of the Congregation of Sisters Servants of Mary Reparatrix (1866-1928).

      - Servant of God Irene Stefani (nee Aurelia), Italian professed nun of the Institute of Missionary Sisters of the Consolata (1891-1930).

      - Servant of God Bernhard Lehner, German layman (1930-1944).

      . DAY OF REFLECTION, DIALOGUE AND PRAYER IN ASSISI

      VATICAN CITY, 2 APR 2011 ( VIS ) - The Holy See Press Office today published the following English-language communique:

      "On 1 January 2011, after the Angelus, Pope Benedict XVI announced that he wished to commemorate the twenty-fifth anniversary of the historic meeting that took place in Assisi on 27 October 1986, at the wish of the Venerable Servant of God John Paul II. On the day of the anniversary, 27 October this year, the Holy Father intends to hold a 'Day of reflection, dialogue and prayer for peace and justice in the world', making a pilgrimage to the home of St. Francis and inviting fellow Christians from different denominations, representatives of the world's religious traditions and, in some sense, all men and women of good will, to join him once again on this journey.

      "The Day will take as its theme: 'Pilgrims of truth, pilgrims of peace'. Every human being is ultimately a pilgrim in search of truth and goodness. Believers too are constantly journeying towards God: hence the possibility, indeed the necessity, of speaking and entering into dialogue with everyone, believers and unbelievers alike, without sacrificing one's own identity or indulging in forms of syncretism. To the extent that the pilgrimage of truth is authentically lived, it opens the path to dialogue with the other, it excludes no-one and it commits everyone to be a builder of fraternity and peace. These are the elements that the Holy Father wishes to place at the centre of reflection.

      "For this reason, as well as representatives of Christian communities and of the principal religious traditions, some figures from the world of culture and science will be invited to share the journey - people who, while not professing to be religious, regard themselves as seekers of the truth and are conscious of a shared responsibility for the cause of justice and peace in this world of ours".

      The communique affirms that "the delegations will set off from Rome by train on the morning of 27 October, together with the Holy Father. Upon arrival in Assisi , they will make their way to the Basilica of Santa Maria degli Angeli, where the previous meetings will be recalled and the theme of the Day will be explored in greater depth. Leaders of some of the delegations present will make speeches and the Holy Father will likewise deliver an address".

      There will then be a simple lunch, followed by a moment of silence for individual reflection and prayer. Later, all those present in Assisi will make a "pilgrimage" to the Basilica of Saint Francis, "in silence, leaving room for personal meditation and prayer". The final part of the Day will include "a solemn renewal of the joint commitment to peace".

      "In preparation for this Day, Pope Benedict XVI will preside over a prayer vigil at St. Peter's the previous evening, together with the faithful of the diocese of Rome . Particular Churches and communities throughout the world are invited to organise similar times of prayer".

      The communique concludes by highlighting that "the Pope asks the Catholic faithful to join him in praying for the celebration of this important event and he is grateful to all those who will be able to be present in St. Francis' home town to share this spiritual pilgrimage".

      . LENT: TIME OF THE GOODNESS OF THE LORD

      VATICAN CITY, 3 APR 2011 (VIS) - At noon today the Holy Father appeared at the window of his study to pray the Angelus with the faithful gathered in St. Peter's Square.

      "The Lenten path we are following is a time of particular grace, in which we may experience the Lord's grace toward us. This Sunday's liturgy... invites us to be glad and to rejoice", the Holy Father said.

      He explained that the reason for this joy is related in the Gospel, in which Jesus cures a man blind since birth and asks him, "Do you believe in the Son of Man?". The blind man recognises the sign given by Jesus and passes from receiving the light in his eyes to the light of the faith: "Lord, I believe". This shows how a simple and sincere person may gradually undertake a path to faith: he first encounters Jesus as a "man" among others, then considers Him a "prophet", then finally opens his eyes and proclaims Him "Lord".

      "We too, because of Adam's sin, are born 'blind', but at the baptismal font we are illuminated by Christ's grace", continued the Holy Father. "Sin brought harm to humanity, condemning it to obscurity and death, but the newness of life and the true end to which we are called are resplendent in Christ. In Him, reinvigorated by the Holy Spirit, we receive the strength to overcome evil and to do good. In fact, Christian life is a continual conformation to Christ, the image of the new man, in order to reach full communion with God. The Lord Jesus is 'the light of the world', as 'the light of the knowledge of the glory of God' shines in Him, and continues to reveal the meaning of human existence in the complex fabric of history".

      Following the Angelus, Benedict XVI recalled that 2 April was the sixth anniversary of the death of John Paul II. "Due to his forthcoming beatification, I have not celebrated the traditional Mass of suffrage for him, but I have remembered him with affection in prayer, as I think you have all done. While, along the Lenten path, we prepare for Easter, we also approach with joy the day on which we will be able to venerate as Blessed this great Pontiff and witness of Christ, and to trust ever more in his intercession".

      VATICAN CITY, 4 APR 2011 ( VIS ) - The Holy Father today received in separate audiences:

      - Cardinal Joachim Meisner, archbishop of Cologne , Germany .

      - Msgr. Franz-Josef Overbeck, bishop of Essen , Germany .

      - Msgr. Carlo Maria Vigano, secretary general of the Governorate of Vatican City State.

      - Msgr. Pauly Kannookadan, bishop of Irinjalakuda of the Syro-Malabars, India , on his ad limina visit, accompanied by the bishop emeritus James Pazhayattil.

      - Msgr. Jacob Manathodath, bishop of Palghat of the Syro-Malabars, India , on his ad limina visit.

      - Msgr. Paul Alappatt, bishop of Ramanathapuram of the Syro-Malabars, India , on his ad limina visit.

      - Msgr. John Vadakel C.M.I., bishop of Bijnor of the Syro-Malabars, India , on his ad limina visit.

      - Msgr. Thomas Thuruthimattam C.S.T., bishop of Gorakhpur of the Syro-Malabars, India , on his ad limina visit.

      On Saturday 2 April he received in separate audiences:

      - Cardinal Angelo Amato S.D.B., prefect of the Congregation for the Causes of Saints.

      - Archbishop Ivan Jurkovic, apostolic nuncio to the Russian Federation .

      - Br. Alois, prior of the Community of Taize.

      - Rudolf Voderholzer, director of the "Institut Papst Benedikt XVI", Regensburg , Germany .

      - Cardinal Mark Ouellet P.S.S., prefect of the Congregation for Bishops.

      VATICAN CITY, 4 APR 2011 (VIS) - The Holy Father appointed William Wright of the clergy of the archdiocese of Sydney, Australia, as Bishop of Maitland-Newcastle (area 33,757, population 648,000, Catholics 157,000, priests 70, permanent deacons 9, religious 236), Australia. The bishop-elect was born in Washington DC , USA in 1952 and ordained a priest in 1977. He succeeds Msgr. Michael John Malone, whose resignation from the pastoral care of the same diocese the Holy Father accepted, in accordance with canon 401 para. 2 of the Code of Canon Law.

      On Saturday 2 April it was made public that the Holy Father:

      - Appointed Msgr. Francois Fonlupt, episcopal vicar of the archdiocese of Clermont , France as Bishop of Rodez (area 8,743, population 273,377, Catholics 260,000, priests 196, permanent deacons 11, religious 807), France . The bishop-elect was born in Allegre , France in 1954, and ordained a priest in 1979. He succeeds Bishop Bellino Ghirard, whose resignation from the pastoral care of the same diocese the Holy Father accepted, upon having reached the age limit.

      - Appointed Archbishop Santos Abril y Castello, vice chamberlain of Holy Roman Church, as a member of the Congregation for Bishops.

      April 5, 2011
      Tuesday of the Fourth Week of Lent

      Reading 1 : Ez 47:1-9, 12
      Gospel : Jn 5:1-16

      Today's Gospel teaches us insight into religious intolerance.

      Jesus healed a paralytic man on the Sabbath. The Jewish leaders had created a very strict and severe culture in Israel at that time. We see evidence of this when the Jews reprimand the cured paralytic for carrying his mat on the Sabbath. This mat was a simple hemp cord tied and woven to make a mat that could be rolled up. They were not very large about 2 feet wide and four to six feet long. Certainly a mat of this sort could not have been very heavy. Yet the scrupulosity of the culture at that time forbade even a simple thing as carrying this rolled up mat.

      Rules were created that were severely rigid and inflexible. The Jews living under these restrictions obeyed them piously to be good Jews.

      Nowhere in the ten commandments of Moses do we find such a teaching. Jewish scribes and lawyers began to count every little saying in the Torah or Old Testament that sounded like another set of commandments from God. This eventually grew into a list of 613 laws or mitzvot (commandments) that must necessarily be obeyed in order to be a right thinking and practicing Jew.

      We all know that only God can perform miracles. Jesus healed a sick man on the Sabbath. Jesus was now the target of persecution by the Jewish leaders because he, in their minds, violated the Sabbath by performing a miracle.

      The underlying complaint by the Jews, therefore, is that God broke his own commandment by performing a miracle on the Sabbath. One can easily see the irrationality to the complaint. God says we must keep holy the Sabbath. The interpretation of keeping Holy Sabbath is not necessarily agreeing with the commandment. It primarily means that we must worship God on the Sabbath, as we do everyday, but on a day set aside from the burden of a regular work day.

      One day in the week was set aside so that workers in every field of labor could rest imitating God on the seventh day. This concept of rest became so severe that a man could not pick up a mat, roll it up and carry it under his arm. Carrying a mat is in no comparison to a full work day in antiquity which usually lasted about 12 hours. How can anyone of sound rational mind compare picking up a mat and carrying it home to a 12 hour work day of hard work?

      So the religious intolerance the Jewish leaders were exhibiting shows a harsh, cold and cruel rigid adherence to rules without any reflection or thought about practical life or the care and concern for people and their needs.

      God created human beings to care for them, to love them and provide for them. The commandment to keep holy the Sabbath was to give laborers a rest, time to pray, time to reflect, but also time to enjoy the day and share it with family and friends.

      We learn about religious intolerance from this story in the Gospel just as we had heard a similar narrative on Sunday about the miraculous cure of the man who was born blind.

      Jesus, God Incarnate, is the now the target of the severe reprimands by the Jewish leaders because he cured a blind man and a paralytic on the Sabbath. But, we know only God can cure through His power. Logically, the Jews were angry at God for doing so on a Sabbath. Once we see the logic of the rules and the complaints we learn how elements of irrationality crept into Jewish thinking. God is the God of reason and rationality, not illogic and irrationality.

      Therefore, we learn that in order to dialogue with our neighbors about religious tolerance we must keep very close to logic and truth and keep our reasoning very clear and lucid. Sharing truth and rationality together is what religious dialogues are all about.

      God created every human person to be logical and rational. Therefore, conferences or dialogues with people of different faiths is our communion to celebrate the gifts of logic and rationality that God has given us and praise and worship Him with all our minds, hearts and souls.

      Let us pray to Mary, Queen of the human family, to bring all people together in the search for truth, keeping us united through Jesus Christ, her son, the way, the truth and the life.