    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 30, 2011

      THURSDAY 31 MARCH 2011

      . BENEDICT XVI'S PRAYER INTENTIONS FOR APRIL
      . MESSAGE TO BUDDHISTS: TRUTH IS NECESSARY TO SEEK PEACE
      . PROPOSAL FOR THE 5 MYSTERIES OF MERCY OF THE ROSARY (REVISED)

      . BENEDICT XVI'S PRAYER INTENTIONS FOR APRIL

      VATICAN CITY, 31 MAR 2011 ( VIS ) - Pope Benedict's general prayer intention for April is: "That through its compelling preaching of the Gospel, the Church may give young people new reasons for life and hope".

      His mission intention is: "That by proclamation of the Gospel and the witness of their lives, missionaries may bring Christ to those who do not yet know Him".

      . MESSAGE TO BUDDHISTS: TRUTH IS NECESSARY TO SEEK PEACE

      VATICAN CITY, 31 MAR 2011 (VIS) - Made public today was the annual Message to Buddhists for the Feast of Vesakh, issued by the Pontifical Council for Inter-religious Dialogue. This year Vesakh, the most important Buddhist festivity, is celebrated on 8 April in Japan , on 10 May in Korea , China , Taiwan , Vietnam and Singapore , and on 17 May in Thailand , Sri Lanka , Cambodia , Myanmar and Laos .

      The message, which is entitled "Seeking Truth in Freedom: Christians and Buddhists live in Peace", Cardinal Jean-Louis Tauran and Archbishop Pier Luigi Celata, respectively president and secretary of the pontifical council, note that "in the pursuit of authentic peace, a commitment to seek truth is a necessary condition. ... This human striving for truth offers a fruitful opportunity for the followers of the different religions to encounter one another in depth and to grow in appreciation of the gifts of each".

      The English-language text continues: "In today's world, marked by forms of secularism and fundamentalism that are often inimical to true freedom and spiritual values, inter-religious dialogue can be the alternative choice by which we find the 'golden way' to live in peace and work together for the good of all. ... Such dialogue is also a powerful stimulus to respect for the fundamental human rights of freedom of conscience and freedom of worship. Wherever religious freedom is effectively acknowledged, the dignity of the human person is respected at its root; by the sincere search for what is true and good, moral conscience and civil institutions are strengthened; and justice and peace are firmly established".

      VATICAN CITY, 31 MAR 2011 ( VIS ) - The Holy Father today received in separate audiences:

      - His Beatitude Sviatoslav Shevchuk, major archbishop of Kyiv-Halyc , Ukraine .

      - Cardinal Raymundo Damasceno Assis, archbishop of Aparecida, Brazil, president of the Latin American Episcopal Council (CELAM), accompanied by Archbishop Baltazar Enrique Porras Cardozo of Merida, Venezuela, first vice president; Archbishop Andres Stanovnik O.F.M. Cap. of Corrientes, Argentina, second vice president, Bishop Emilio Aranguren Echeverria of Holgun, Cuba, president of the economic committee, and Bishop Jose Leopoldo Gonzalez Gonzalez, auxiliary of Guadalajara, Mexico, secretary general.

      - Archbishop Robert Zollitsch, archbishop of Freiburg im Breisgau , Germany , president of the German Episcopal Conference.

      - Bishop Mathew Arackal of Kanjirapally of the Syro-Malabars, India , on his "ad limina" visit.

      - Bishop Joseph Kallarangatt of Palai of the Syro-Malabars, India , on his "ad limina" visit.

      - Bishop George Alencherry of Thuckalay of the Syro-Malabars, India , on his "ad limina" visit.

      - Bishop Mathew Anikuzhikattil of Idukki, of the Syro-Malabars, India , on his "ad limina" visit.

      VATICAN CITY, 31 MAR 2011 ( VIS ) - The Holy Father:

      - Removed Bishop Jean-Claude Makaya Loemba from the pastoral care of the diocese of Pointe-Noire, Republic of the Congo .

      - Accepted the resignation from the pastoral care of the archdiocese of Papeete , Tahiti , presented by Archbishop Hubert Coppenrath, upon having reached the age limit.

      . PROPOSAL FOR THE 5 MYSTERIES OF MERCY OF THE ROSARY

      THE MERCIFUL MYSTERIES

      KYRIE ELEISON

      PROPOSAL FOR THE NEW 5 MYSTERIES OF MERCY OF THE ROSARY

      A new set of five mysteries of the Holy Rosary of the Blessed Virgin Mary that concentrate on the Mercy of Jesus for the salvation of the world is proposed by John N. Lupia, Editor, Roman Catholic News. This proposed addition to the traditional pattern was first received during reflection on March 28, 2011. In the past three days revisions have been made to the initial conception so that the new 5 Mysteries of Mercy, conform more consistently with the tradition as we have received it. I believe, however, that to bring out more fully the Christological and Soteriological depth of the Rosary it would be suitable to make an addition to the traditional pattern which, while left to the freedom of individuals and communities, could broaden it to include the mysteries of Christ from His conception to His resurrection. In the course of those mysteries we contemplate important aspects of the person of Christ as the definitive revelation of God’s mercy. Consequently, for the Rosary to become more fully a “compendium of the Gospel”, it is fitting to add, following all of the reflections on the Incarnation and the hidden life of Christ (the joyful mysteries), a meditation on certain particularly significant moments in his public ministry (the mysteries of light), and focusing on the sufferings of his Passion (the sorrowful mysteries) and the triumph of his Resurrection (the glorious mysteries), a meditation that draws from each of these the revelatory vision of the Christ as the Sha'ar Harachamim, the Gate of Mercy (the mysteries of mercy). Jesus tells us, “I am the gate. Whoever enters by me will be saved” (John 10:9). This addition of these new mysteries, without prejudice to any essential aspect of the prayer's traditional format, is meant to give it fresh life and to enkindle renewed interest in the Rosary's place within Christian spirituality as a true doorway to the depths of the Heart of Christ, an infinite ocean of mercy, joy and of light, of suffering and of glory. The Editor begs pardon for any confusion or inconvenience this revisionary process may have caused anyone. Scripture citations given herein are taken from the New Revised Standard Version (NRSV).

      1. FIRST MYSTERY : MARY’S MAGNIFICAT
      Luke 1:50 His mercy is for those who fear him
      from generation to generation.
      51 He has shown strength with his arm;
      he has scattered the proud in the thoughts of their hearts.
      52 He has brought down the powerful from their thrones,
      and lifted up the lowly;
      53 he has filled the hungry with good things,
      and sent the rich away empty.
      54 He has helped his servant Israel,
      in remembrance of his mercy,
      55 according to the promise he made to our ancestors,
      to Abraham and to his descendants forever."
      2. SECOND MYSTERY : Jesus absolves the paralyzed man. Matthew 9:1-8; Mark 2:5; Luke 5: 17-26

      Luke 5:17 One day, while he was teaching, Pharisees and teachers of the law were sitting near by (they had come from every village of Galilee and Judea and from Jerusalem); and the power of the Lord was with him to heal. 18 Just then some men came, carrying a paralyzed man on a bed. They were trying to bring him in and lay him before Jesus; 19 but finding no way to bring him in because of the crowd, they went up on the roof and let him down with his bed through the tiles into the middle of the crowd in front of Jesus. 20 When he saw their faith, he said, "Friend, your sins are forgiven you." 21 Then the scribes and the Pharisees began to question, "Who is this who is speaking blasphemies? Who can forgive sins but God alone?" 22 When Jesus perceived their questionings, he answered them, "Why do you raise such questions in your hearts? 23 Which is easier, to say, "Your sins are forgiven you,' or to say, "Stand up and walk'? 24 But so that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins"—he said to the one who was paralyzed—"I say to you, stand up and take your bed and go to your home." 25 Immediately he stood up before them, took what he had been lying on, and went to his home, glorifying God. 26 Amazement seized all of them, and they glorified God and were filled with awe, saying, "We have seen strange things today."

      3. THIRD MYSTERY : Jesus in the house of Simon the Pharisee. Luke 7:36-50
      Luke 7: 36 One of the Pharisees asked Jesus to eat with him, and he went into the Pharisee's house and took his place at the table. 37 And a woman in the city, who was a sinner, having learned that he was eating in the Pharisee's house, brought an alabaster jar of ointment. 38 She stood behind him at his feet, weeping, and began to bathe his feet with her tears and to dry them with her hair. Then she continued kissing his feet and anointing them with the ointment. 39 Now when the Pharisee who had invited him saw it, he said to himself, "If this man were a prophet, he would have known who and what kind of woman this is who is touching him—that she is a sinner." 40 Jesus spoke up and said to him, "Simon, I have something to say to you." "Teacher," he replied, "speak." 41 "A certain creditor had two debtors; one owed five hundred denarii, and the other fifty. 42 When they could not pay, he canceled the debts for both of them. Now which of them will love him more?" 43 Simon answered, "I suppose the one for whom he canceled the greater debt." And Jesus said to him, "You have judged rightly." 44 Then turning toward the woman, he said to Simon, "Do you see this woman? I entered your house; you gave me no water for my feet, but she has bathed my feet with her tears and dried them with her hair. 45 You gave me no kiss, but from the time I came in she has not stopped kissing my feet. 46 You did not anoint my head with oil, but she has anointed my feet with ointment. 47 Therefore, I tell you, her sins, which were many, have been forgiven; hence she has shown great love. But the one to whom little is forgiven, loves little." 48 Then he said to her, "Your sins are forgiven." 49 But those who were at the table with him began to say among themselves, "Who is this who even forgives sins?" 50 And he said to the woman, "Your faith has saved you; go in peace."
      4. FOURTH MYSTERY : Jesus Speaks from the Cross.
      Luke 23:33 When they came to the place that is called The Skull, they crucified Jesus there with the criminals, one on his right and one on his left. 34 [Then Jesus said, "Father, forgive them; for they do not know what they are doing."] And they cast lots to divide his clothing.
      5. FIFTH MYSTERY : Jesus Institutes the Sacrament of Confession.
      John 20:19 When it was evening on that day, the first day of the week, and the doors of the house where the disciples had met were locked for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood among them and said, "Peace be with you." 20 After he said this, he showed them his hands and his side. Then the disciples rejoiced when they saw the Lord. 21 Jesus said to them again, "Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you." 22 When he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit. 23 If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained."
      These new 5 Mysteries of Mercy are proposed in the same spirit as those 5 Mysteries of Light given to the Church by Pope John Paul II in his Apostolic Letter, Rosarium Virginis Mariae, October 16, 2002. The New Testament passages selected for the 5 Mysteries of Mercy reveal the Mercy of God as His plan of sheer goodness so that we may share in His own blessed life forever. Moreover, they provide insight and understanding of God’s mercy in theological depth as taught by the Roman Catholic Church through the Holy See and recorded in the Catechism of the Catholic Church published by John Paul II, 1994, 1997. Please write to your local bishop asking him to endorse this proposal to our Holy Father, Pope Benedict XVI, so that these Mysteries of Mercy may be established with the seal of the Church's approval for the benefit of the whole Church throughout the world; so that we may become more perfectly a people of Hope, Faith, and Charity and shine forth the Light and Mercy of Jesus Christ in our interactions and transactions with our neighbors throughout the world.

      A new set of five mysteries of the Holy Rosary
      of the Blessed Virgin Mary that concentrate on the Mercy of Jesus for the
      salvation of the world is proposed by John N. Lupia, Editor, Roman Catholic
      News.

      Yesterday's report listed the mysteries in the order given in the initial draft
      and it has been revised to conform in a chronological order according to the
      biblical accounts. The revisions are presented below.

      The new 5 Mysteries of Mercy are taken from the Gospels as follows taken from
      the New International Version (NIV).

      1. FIRST MYSTERY : Jesus in the house of Simon the Pharisee.
      Luke 7:36-50

      Luke 7:36 When one of the Pharisees invited Jesus to have dinner with him, he
      went to the Pharisee’s house and reclined at the table. 37 A woman in that town
      who lived a sinful life learned that Jesus was eating at the Pharisee’s house,
      so she came there with an alabaster jar of perfume. 38 As she stood behind him
      at his feet weeping, she began to wet his feet with her tears. Then she wiped
      them with her hair, kissed them and poured perfume on them.

      39 When the Pharisee who had invited him saw this, he said to himself, “If this
      man were a prophet, he would know who is touching him and what kind of woman she
      is—that she is a sinner.”

      40 Jesus answered him, “Simon, I have something to tell you.”

      “Tell me, teacher,” he said.

      41 “Two people owed money to a certain moneylender. One owed him five hundred
      denarii,[a] and the other fifty. 42 Neither of them had the money to pay him
      back, so he forgave the debts of both. Now which of them will love him more?”

      43 Simon replied, “I suppose the one who had the bigger debt forgiven.”

      “You have judged correctly,” Jesus said.

      44 Then he turned toward the woman and said to Simon, “Do you see this woman? I
      came into your house. You did not give me any water for my feet, but she wet my
      feet with her tears and wiped them with her hair. 45 You did not give me a kiss,
      but this woman, from the time I entered, has not stopped kissing my feet. 46 You
      did not put oil on my head, but she has poured perfume on my feet. 47 Therefore,
      I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven—as her great love has shown. But
      whoever has been forgiven little loves little.”

      48 Then Jesus said to her, “Your sins are forgiven.”

      49 The other guests began to say among themselves, “Who is this who even
      forgives sins?”

      50 Jesus said to the woman, “Your faith has saved you; go in peace.”

      2. SECOND MYSTERY : Jesus forgives the paralyzed man.
      Matthew 9:1-8; Mark 2:5; Luke 5: 17-26

      Luke 5:17 One day Jesus was teaching, and Pharisees and teachers of the law were
      sitting there. They had come from every village of Galilee and from Judea and
      Jerusalem. And the power of the Lord was with Jesus to heal the sick. 18 Some
      men came carrying a paralyzed man on a mat and tried to take him into the house
      to lay him before Jesus. 19 When they could not find a way to do this because of
      the crowd, they went up on the roof and lowered him on his mat through the tiles
      into the middle of the crowd, right in front of Jesus.

      20 When Jesus saw their faith, he said, “Friend, your sins are forgiven.”

      21 The Pharisees and the teachers of the law began thinking to themselves, “Who
      is this fellow who speaks blasphemy? Who can forgive sins but God alone?”

      22 Jesus knew what they were thinking and asked, “Why are you thinking these
      things in your hearts? 23 Which is easier: to say, ‘Your sins are forgiven,’ or
      to say, ‘Get up and walk’? 24 But I want you to know that the Son of Man has
      authority on earth to forgive sins.” So he said to the paralyzed man, “I tell
      you, get up, take your mat and go home.” 25 Immediately he stood up in front of
      them, took what he had been lying on and went home praising God. 26 Everyone was
      amazed and gave praise to God. They were filled with awe and said, “We have seen
      remarkable things today.”

      3. THIRD MYSTERY : Jesus forgives the Adulterer John 7:53--8:11

      John 7:53 Then they all went home,

      John 8:1 but Jesus went to the Mount of Olives.

      2 At dawn he appeared again in the temple courts, where all the people
      gathered around him, and he sat down to teach them. 3 The teachers of the law
      and the Pharisees brought in a woman caught in adultery. They made her stand
      before the group 4 and said to Jesus, “Teacher, this woman was caught in the act
      of adultery. 5 In the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women. Now what do
      you say?” 6 They were using this question as a trap, in order to have a basis
      for accusing him.

      But Jesus bent down and started to write on the ground with his finger. 7
      When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, “Let any
      one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.” 8 Again he
      stooped down and wrote on the ground.

      9 At this, those who heard began to go away one at a time, the older ones
      first, until only Jesus was left, with the woman still standing there. 10 Jesus
      straightened up and asked her, “Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned
      you?”

      11 “No one, sir,” she said.

      “Then neither do I condemn you,” Jesus declared. “Go now and leave your life
      of sin.”

      4. FOURTH MYSTERY : Jesus Speaks from the Cross.

      Luke 23:34 Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are
      doing.”[a] And they divided up his clothes by casting lots.

      5. FIFTH MYSTERY : Jesus Institutes the Sacrament of Confession.

      John 20:19 On the evening of that first day of the week, when the disciples were
      together, with the doors locked for fear of the Jewish leaders, Jesus came and
      stood among them and said, “Peace be with you!” 20 After he said this, he showed
      them his hands and side. The disciples were overjoyed when they saw the Lord.

      21 Again Jesus said, “Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am
      sending you.” 22 And with that he breathed on them and said, “Receive the Holy
      Spirit. 23 If you forgive anyone’s sins, their sins are forgiven; if you do not
      forgive them, they are not forgiven.”

      These new 5 Mysteries of Mercy are proposed in the same spirit as those 5
      Mysteries of Light given to the Church by Pope John Paul II in his Apostolic
      Letter Rosarium Virginis Mariae, October 16, 2002.

      The New Testament passages selected for the 5 Mysteries of Mercy reveal the
      Mercy of God and provide insight and understanding of the it in theological
      depth as taught by the Roman Catholic Church through the Holy See and recorded
      in the New Catechism of the Catholic Church published by John Paul II.

      Please write to your local bishop asking him to endorse this proposal to our
      Holy Father, Pope Benedict XVI for the benefit of the whole Church throughout
      the world; so that we may become more perfectly a people of Hope, Faith, Charity
      and shine forth the Light and Mercy of Jesus Christ in our interactions and
      transactions with our neighbors throughout the world.

      The Ancient Jewish Shroud At Turin by John N. Lupia

      A critical study on the Shroud of Turin by the editor of Roman Catholic News
      focusing on it as an archaeological textile.

      This book is the result of forty years of research on the Shroud of Turin and is
      published by Regina Caeli Press in order to assist pilgrims wishing to celebrate
      the Shroud of Turin Exhibition 10 April 2010 through 23 May 2010, at Turin,
      Italy, and anyone interested in the Shroud of Turin.

      This book is destined to be one of the most exciting books you will ever have
      read in Shroud literature since it authenticates the Shroud of Turin as a first
      century Jewish tallit. The tallit design and form is ancient but the only forms
      known today are the medieval types that emerged around 1000 A.D and later. It
      was not until the 17th century that anyone could even have connected the tallit
      with the burial shroud of Jesus. These two facts alone show it could not have
      been a medieval forgery. The fact that it can be authenticated as a first
      century tallit places a stumbling block of equal magnitude in the path of the
      1988 C-14 dating. Both cannot be correct. Plausible explanations are given in
      the book that explain the dating of the linen as being harvested 1260 to 1390
      given by the 1988 C-14 testing showing that several key issues were never
      considered.

      In this investigation it is shown that the Shroud of Turin is an ancient Jewish
      tallit type made before A.D. 66. This ancient form of the tallit provides strong
      evidence that the Shroud of Turin is authentic. It was unknown before the 17th
      cent. that the tallit was identifiable as the burial shroud of Jesus Christ
      precluding that it could be a medieval forgery. Lupia also shows scientific
      evidence that was never considered when the experimental design was made in 1988
      to perform the C-14 testing. A discussion of the image of Jesus Christ on the
      Shroud shows that it was most probably formed by unguent residue from anointing
      the body at burial. Detailed analysis of the various plant extractions used in
      ancient unguents and their chemistry is given showing that is consistent with
      the thin coating found on the Shroud that forms the body image.

      FROM THE BACK COVER

      ANTIQUITIES EXPERT PROVES SHROUD OF TURIN IS AUTHENTIC

      John N. Lupia, a world-renowned antiquities expert, who in October 2002, made
      the breaking news that the so-called James Ossuary was a fake, now has
      archaeological evidence that the Shroud of Turin is authentic.; His new forensic
      research reveals that the Shroud of Turin is an ancient linen tallit garment
      type worn by Essenes at Qumran before A.D. 66 placing the Shroud in this
      timeframe and associating Jesus with this movement by implication. This idea of
      the possible association with the Essenes is also made by Benedict XVI, who
      says, ". . . it appears that not only John the Baptist, but possibly Jesus and
      his family as well, were close to the Qumran community." Moreover, it calls to
      mind the words of the late John Paul II : "The mysterious fascination of the
      Shroud forces questions to be raised about the sacred Linen and the historical
      life of Jesus."

      The cover photograph shows a model wearing a reproduction of the Shroud of Turin
      based on its exact dimensions and shows that it is a textile garment. It is worn
      over an alb.

      In February 2004, the late Dr. Raymond N. Rogers, an internationally celebrated
      chemist who worked directly on the Shroud of Turin in the 1978 STURP Project
      confirmed Lupia's conclusions via email correspondence. "I think I understand
      that you believe that all four corners could have been reinforced and/or
      replaced. Fascinating. Congratulations," Rogers said.

      In an interview Mr. Lupia explained to reporters, "During the Renaissance period
      the Shroud was contaminated with carbon soot from the fire of 1532. It was from
      one of the carbon soot corroded corners that the scientists in 1988 cut the
      sample to date the Shroud, but mistakenly dated the carbon corrosives instead as
      well as atmospheric contamination. The C-14 dating predominantly tells us the
      date circa 1260-1390 of the mixture of carbonated corrosion and ancient linen,
      as well as atmospheric contamination not the actual age of the linen textile of
      the Shroud."

      Ian Wilson, the celebrated Shroud scholar and historian told reporters "Mr.
      Lupia has something to say that is new, interesting and most meticulously
      researched."

      Since 1988 critics have erroneously pointed to the medieval date as evidence the
      Shroud is a hoax or fraud.

      You don't need to have a PayPal account and log in. Simply press the continue
      button and pay with your credit card.

      $27.99 + $4.50 Shipping & handling

      First Edition

      ISBN : 0982673906