    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2011

      TUESDAY 4 JANUARY 2011

      . NEW BOOK ON THE SHROUD OF TURIN

      VATICAN CITY, 4 JAN 2011 (VIS) - The Holy Father:

      - Appointed Archbishop Joao Braz de Aviz of Brasilia, Brazil, as prefect of the Congregation for Institutes of Consecrated Life and Societies of Apostolic Life. He succeeds Cardinal Franc Rode C.M., whose resignation from the same office the Holy Father accepted, upon having reached the age limit.

      - Accepted the resignation from the office of auxiliary of the archdiocese of Bombay, India, presented by Bishop Percival Joseph Fernandez, upon having reached the age limit.

      . NEW BOOK ON THE SHROUD OF TURIN

      The Ancient Jewish Shroud At Turin by John N. Lupia

      A critical study on the Shroud of Turin by the editor of Roman Catholic News
      focusing on it as an archaeological textile.

      This book is the result of forty years of research on the Shroud of Turin and is
      published by Regina Caeli Press in order to assist pilgrims wishing to celebrate
      the Shroud of Turin Exhibition 10 April 2010 through 23 May 2010, at Turin,
      Italy, and anyone interested in the Shroud of Turin.

      This book is destined to be one of the most exciting books you will ever have
      read in Shroud literature since it authenticates the Shroud of Turin as a first
      century Jewish tallit. The tallit design and form is ancient but the only forms
      known today are the medieval types that emerged around 1000 A.D and later. It
      was not until the 17th century that anyone could even have connected the tallit
      with the burial shroud of Jesus. These two facts alone show it could not have
      been a medieval forgery. The fact that it can be authenticated as a first
      century tallit places a stumbling block of equal magnitude in the path of the
      1988 C-14 dating. Both cannot be correct. Plausible explanations are given in
      the book that explain the dating of the linen as being harvested 1260 to 1390
      given by the 1988 C-14 testing showing that several key issues were never
      considered.

      In this investigation it is shown that the Shroud of Turin is an ancient Jewish
      tallit type made before A.D. 66. This ancient form of the tallit provides strong
      evidence that the Shroud of Turin is authentic. It was unknown before the 17th
      cent. that the tallit was identifiable as the burial shroud of Jesus Christ
      precluding that it could be a medieval forgery. Lupia also shows scientific
      evidence that was never considered when the experimental design was made in 1988
      to perform the C-14 testing. A discussion of the image of Jesus Christ on the
      Shroud shows that it was most probably formed by unguent residue from anointing
      the body at burial. Detailed analysis of the various plant extractions used in
      ancient unguents and their chemistry is given showing that is consistent with
      the thin coating found on the Shroud that forms the body image.

      FROM THE BACK COVER

      ANTIQUITIES EXPERT PROVES SHROUD OF TURIN IS AUTHENTIC

      John N. Lupia, a world-renowned antiquities expert, who in October 2002, made
      the breaking news that the so-called James Ossuary was a fake, now has
      archaeological evidence that the Shroud of Turin is authentic.; His new forensic
      research reveals that the Shroud of Turin is an ancient linen tallit garment
      type worn by Essenes at Qumran before A.D. 66 placing the Shroud in this
      timeframe and associating Jesus with this movement by implication. This idea of
      the possible association with the Essenes is also made by Benedict XVI, who
      says, ". . . it appears that not only John the Baptist, but possibly Jesus and
      his family as well, were close to the Qumran community." Moreover, it calls to
      mind the words of the late John Paul II : "The mysterious fascination of the
      Shroud forces questions to be raised about the sacred Linen and the historical
      life of Jesus."

      The cover photograph shows a model wearing a reproduction of the Shroud of Turin
      based on its exact dimensions and shows that it is a textile garment. It is worn
      over an alb.

      In February 2004, the late Dr. Raymond N. Rogers, an internationally celebrated
      chemist who worked directly on the Shroud of Turin in the 1978 STURP Project
      confirmed Lupia's conclusions via email correspondence. "I think I understand
      that you believe that all four corners could have been reinforced and/or
      replaced. Fascinating. Congratulations," Rogers said.

      In an interview Mr. Lupia explained to reporters, "During the Renaissance period
      the Shroud was contaminated with carbon soot from the fire of 1532. It was from
      one of the carbon soot corroded corners that the scientists in 1988 cut the
      sample to date the Shroud, but mistakenly dated the carbon corrosives instead as
      well as atmospheric contamination. The C-14 dating predominantly tells us the
      date circa 1260-1390 of the mixture of carbonated corrosion and ancient linen,
      as well as atmospheric contamination not the actual age of the linen textile of
      the Shroud."

      Ian Wilson, the celebrated Shroud scholar and historian told reporters "Mr.
      Lupia has something to say that is new, interesting and most meticulously
      researched."

      Since 1988 critics have erroneously pointed to the medieval date as evidence the
      Shroud is a hoax or fraud.

      You don't need to have a PayPal account and log in. Simply press the continue
      button and pay with your credit card.

      $27.99 + $4.50 Shipping & handling

      First Edition

      ISBN : 0982673906

      ISBN : 978-0-9826739-0-4

      Copyright 2009 John N. Lupia III

      Regina Caeli Press 2010

      Memorial of Saint John Neumann, bishop

      Reading 1 : 1 Jn 4:11-18
      Gospel Mk 6:45-52

      Fear is the root of every sin. Every human person is born with Original Sin. Baptism gives us the grace to receive the salvation of Jesus Christ freeing us from the penalty of eternal death caused by Original Sin. We are impressed with the seal of Jesus Christ in our very being at Baptism and from Him we receive every grace and blessing. However, though, we receive Christ and His salvation at Baptism we are not free from the effects and defects caused by Original Sin. The basis of all sin is fear, and consequently, every human mind and heart feels and experiences fear from infancy throughout life. As we grow in grace and love we grow more confident and trusting in God and His infinite love and mercy, and our fear subsides.

      Psychologists tell us about the full spectrum of human fear from every sort of phobia to the more common fear of not being loved, or appreciated, or accepted or adequate or successful.

      So, our fear of height, or of large crowds or small places, and so on, signal a feeling of uneasiness, we feel threatened or menaced by physical or mental harm and anguish. So too is our fear of not being loved, being rejected, not accepted or abandoned, or despondent as inadequate failures.

      But these fears of pain and suffering are nothing more than our deep rooted anxiety of guilt and punishment. Everyone is guilty of sin and as imperfect people we have sinful tendencies. St. John teaches us that though these things may be true we have a hope that outshines the darkness of despair and hopelessness. He tells us, "There is no fear in love, but perfect love drives out fear because fear has to do with punishment, and so one who fears is not yet perfect in love."

      It is our authentic love of Jesus Christ and loving with selfless love, that does not seek its own will, does not seek its own pleasure, or glory but seeks only the love of God through prayer and sacrifice and in serving our neighbors as Christ Himself would.

      We have the Apostles given as our models in this. We read in the Gospel of Mark how they were filled with fear while rowing on the Sea of Galilee when they saw Jesus walking on the water thinking He was a ghost. In the Jewish cultural tradition these were demonic spirits who roamed about in the desert and in the sea and could harm you. The apostles were afraid because they felt anxiety of guilt and punishment. They had not yet come to know and love the Lord as deeply as they would eventually through time.

      They were fishermen, rowing in a boat on the sea and were, perhaps, reflecting on the days events when Jesus miraculously fed the immense crowd with a few fish and loaves. We do know that they did not understand what the miracle of the loaves and fishes meant. Their minds were closed, or in other words, their hearts were hardened. They did not receive the miracle with grace and enlightenment. We are very surprised to learn this. Were they afraid that Jesus would continue multiplying fish making their work and commercial trade of fishing obsolete and become poor unemployed men? Were they thinking as ordinary men failing to see the spiritual significance of Jesus and HIs work? Yes, they were men just like us.

      God chose the Apostles just as He has chosen us. We are confident that He will bless us as He blessed these Apostles and that He will give us all the graces we need to grow more deeply in love with Him so that our love may become perfect.

      Turn your gaze to Mary, Queen of Mercy and of Love. Pray the rosary daily and ask her to grant you the love of Christ now and for ever.