    Message 1 of 1 , May 24, 2010

      Year For Priests Edition

      Volume 10, Issue 83
      TUESDAY 25 MAY 2010

      . CATHOLIC THEOLOGY AND PEDAGOGY OF RELIGION IN HAMBURG
      . PROCESSION AND MASS FOR CORPUS CHRISTI
      . JOINT INITIATIVE: COUNCIL FOR CULTURE AND NEOSTEM INC.
      . NEW BOOK ON THE SHROUD OF TURIN
      . YEAR FOR PRIESTS REFLECTIONS

      . CATHOLIC THEOLOGY AND PEDAGOGY OF RELIGION IN HAMBURG

      VATICAN CITY, 25 MAY 2010 (VIS) - On 18 May, the Holy See and the Free Hanseatic City of Hamburg, Germany, signed an agreement concerning the creation of a centre of formation for Catholic theology and the pedagogy of religion at Hamburg University.

      The agreement was signed in Hamburg by Archbishop Jean-Claude Perisset, apostolic nuncio to Germany , on behalf of the Holy See, and by Herlind Gundelach, minister for science and research of the Free Hanseatic City of Hamburg, on behalf of the city.

      The ceremony was also attended by Archbishop Werner Thissen of Hamburg accompanied by Auxiliary Bishop Hans-Jochen Jaschke, while the University of Hamburg was represented by Holger Fischer, vice president, and by the dean of the Evangelical theological faculty.

      . PROCESSION AND MASS FOR CORPUS CHRISTI

      VATICAN CITY, 25 MAY 2010 (VIS) - The Office of Liturgical Celebrations of the Supreme Pontiff today announced that at 7 p.m. on Thursday 3 June, Solemnity of Corpus Christi, Pope Benedict XVI will celebrate Mass on the square in front of Rome's St. John Lateran Basilica. Following this he will preside at the traditional Eucharistic procession from the basilica, along Via Merulana, to the Basilica of St. Mary Major.

      . JOINT INITIATIVE: COUNCIL FOR CULTURE AND NEOSTEM INC.

      VATICAN CITY, 25 MAY 2010 (VIS) - The international biopharmaceutical company NeoStem Inc. and the Pontifical Council for Culture have announced a joint initiative between their charitable organisations to expand research and raise awareness of adult stem cell therapies, according to a communique made public today.

      NeoStem's Stem for Life Foundation, formed to create awareness about the promise of adult stem cells to treat disease, and the pontifical council's STOQ Foundation (Science Theology and the Ontological Quest), will work to advance research on adult stem cells, to explore their clinical applicability in the field of regenerative medicine, and the cultural relevance of such research especially with its impact on theological and ethical issues.

      "As part of the collaboration, NeoStem and the pontifical council will make efforts to develop educational programs, publications and academic courses with an interdisciplinary approach for theological and philosophical faculties, including those of bioethics, around the world. One of the initiatives will be a three-day international conference at the Vatican on adult stem cell research, including VSEL technology (which uses very small embryonic-like stem cells) that will focus on medical research presentations and theological and philosophical considerations and implications of scientific achievements", the communique says.

      .

      .

      .

      . NEW BOOK ON THE SHROUD OF TURIN

      The Ancient Jewish Shroud At Turin by John N. Lupia

      A critical study on the Shroud of Turin by the editor of Roman Catholic News
      focusing on it as an archaeological textile.

      This book is the result of forty years of research on the Shroud of Turin and is
      published by Regina Caeli Press in order to assist pilgrims wishing to celebrate
      the Shroud of Turin Exhibition 10 April 2010 through 23 May 2010, at Turin,
      Italy, and anyone interested in the Shroud of Turin.

      This book is destined to be one of the most exciting books you will ever have
      read in Shroud literature since it authenticates the Shroud of Turin as a first
      century Jewish tallit. The tallit design and form is ancient but the only forms
      known today are the medieval types that emerged around 1000 A.D and later. It
      was not until the 17th century that anyone could even have connected the tallit
      with the burial shroud of Jesus. These two facts alone show it could not have
      been a medieval forgery. The fact that it can be authenticated as a first
      century tallit places a stumbling block of equal magnitude in the path of the
      1988 C-14 dating. Both cannot be correct. Plausible explanations are given in
      the book that explain the dating of the linen as being harvested 1260 to 1390
      given by the 1988 C-14 testing showing that several key issues were never
      considered.

      In this investigation it is shown that the Shroud of Turin is an ancient Jewish
      tallit type made before A.D. 66. This ancient form of the tallit provides strong
      evidence that the Shroud of Turin is authentic. It was unknown before the 17th
      cent. that the tallit was identifiable as the burial shroud of Jesus Christ
      precluding that it could be a medieval forgery. Lupia also shows scientific
      evidence that was never considered when the experimental design was made in 1988
      to perform the C-14 testing. A discussion of the image of Jesus Christ on the
      Shroud shows that it was most probably formed by unguent residue from anointing
      the body at burial. Detailed analysis of the various plant extractions used in
      ancient unguents and their chemistry is given showing that is consistent with
      the thin coating found on the Shroud that forms the body image.

      FROM THE BACK COVER

      ANTIQUITIES EXPERT PROVES SHROUD OF TURIN IS AUTHENTIC

      John N. Lupia, a world-renowned antiquities expert, who in October 2002, made
      the breaking news that the so-called James Ossuary was a fake, now has
      archaeological evidence that the Shroud of Turin is authentic.; His new forensic
      research reveals that the Shroud of Turin is an ancient linen tallit garment
      type worn by Essenes at Qumran before A.D. 66 placing the Shroud in this
      timeframe and associating Jesus with this movement by implication. This idea of
      the possible association with the Essenes is also made by Benedict XVI, who
      says, ". . . it appears that not only John the Baptist, but possibly Jesus and
      his family as well, were close to the Qumran community." Moreover, it calls to
      mind the words of the late John Paul II : "The mysterious fascination of the
      Shroud forces questions to be raised about the sacred Linen and the historical
      life of Jesus."

      The cover photograph shows a model wearing a reproduction of the Shroud of Turin
      based on its exact dimensions and shows that it is a textile garment. It is worn
      over an alb.

      In February 2004, the late Dr. Raymond N. Rogers, an internationally celebrated
      chemist who worked directly on the Shroud of Turin in the 1978 STURP Project
      confirmed Lupia's conclusions via email correspondence. "I think I understand
      that you believe that all four corners could have been reinforced and/or
      replaced. Fascinating. Congratulations," Rogers said.

      In an interview Mr. Lupia explained to reporters, "During the Renaissance period
      the Shroud was contaminated with carbon soot from the fire of 1532. It was from
      one of the carbon soot corroded corners that the scientists in 1988 cut the
      sample to date the Shroud, but mistakenly dated the carbon corrosives instead as
      well as atmospheric contamination. The C-14 dating predominantly tells us the
      date circa 1260-1390 of the mixture of carbonated corrosion and ancient linen,
      as well as atmospheric contamination not the actual age of the linen textile of
      the Shroud."

      Ian Wilson, the celebrated Shroud scholar and historian told reporters "Mr.
      Lupia has something to say that is new, interesting and most meticulously
      researched."

      Since 1988 critics have erroneously pointed to the medieval date as evidence the
      Shroud is a hoax or fraud.

      You don't need to have a PayPal account and log in. Simply press the continue
      button and pay with your credit card.

      $27.99 + $4.50 Shipping & handling

      First Edition

      ISBN : 0982673906

      ISBN : 978-0-9826739-0-4

      Copyright 2009 John N. Lupia III

      Regina Caeli Press 2010

      . YEAR FOR PRIESTS REFLECTIONS

      A Priest's Prayer

      Loving Father,
      I praise you, I love you, I adore you.
      Send your Holy Spirit to enlighten my mind
      to the truth of your Son, Jesus,
      Priest and Victim.
      Through the same Spirit guide my heart to his Sacred Heart,
      to renew in me a priestly passion
      that I, too, might lay down my life upon the altar.
      May your Spirit wash away my impurities
      and free me from all my transgressions
      in the Cup of Salvation,
      Let only your will be done in me.
      May the Blessed Mother of your dearly beloved Son,
      wrap her mantle around me and protect me from all evil.
      May she guide me to do whatever He tells me.
      May she teach me to have the heart of St. Joseph, her spouse,
      to protect and care for my bride.
      And may her pierced heart inspire me
      to embrace as my own your children
      who suffer at the foot of the cross.
      I humbly cry to her:
      please be my consoling mother,
      and help me to be a better son.
      Lord, make me a holy priest,
      inflamed with the fire of your love, seeking nothing
      but your greater glory and the salvation of souls.
      I humbly bless and thank you, my Father,
      through the Spirit, in Christ Jesus,
      your Son and my brother.
      Amen.

      O Mary, Queen of priests, pray for us.
      Saint John Vianney, pray for us.

      Pope Benedict XVI, Jesus of Nazareth (New York : Doubleday, 2007)