    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 24, 2010
      Roman Catholic News

      Year For Priests Edition

      Volume 10, Issue 36
      FRIDAY 26 FEBRUARY 2010

      TENTH DAY OF LENT

      . POPE'S PROFOUND SORROW AT DEATH OF CHRISTIANS IN IRAQ
      . YEAR FOR PRIESTS REFLECTIONS

      . POPE'S PROFOUND SORROW AT DEATH OF CHRISTIANS IN IRAQ

      VATICAN CITY, 25 FEB 2010 (VIS) - The "Osservatore Romano" today published a letter from Cardinal Secretary of State Tarcisio Bertone S.D.B. to Nouri Kamil al-Maliki, prime minister of Iraq, in which he expresses the Holy Father's concern at attacks against Christians in that country. The letter bears the date of 2 January.

      The "Osservatore Romano" explains that the text has been published today after the Pope, currently involved in his annual spiritual exercises, learned "with profound sorrow" of the murder of three members of a Syro-Catholic family in the area of Mosul. Benedict XVI, "with his prayers and affection, remains close to those suffering the consequences of violence", the newspaper writes.

      In his letter, Cardinal Bertone mentions al-Maliki's "important visit" to the Vatican in 2008, where he was received in audience by Benedict XVI. After that meeting, "the hope was expressed that Iraq may manage to rebuild itself morally and civilly through dialogue and co-operation among all ethnic and religious groups, including minorities, while respecting their respective identities and in a spirit of reconciliation and of searching for the common good.

      "You will remember", Cardinal Bertone adds in his letter to the prime minister, "how His Holiness called for freedom of worship in Iraq to be respected, and asked that Christians and their churches be protected. On that occasion, I too raised this question with you, and you assured me that your government gives very serious consideration to the situation of the Christian minority, which has lived alongside the Muslim majority for so many centuries, making a great contribution to the economic, cultural and social well-being of the nation".

      Cardinal Bertone gives assurances of the Pope's solidarity with the prime minister "and with those who have been killed or injured in the recent series of attacks on government buildings and places of worship, both Muslim and Christian, in Iraq. He fervently prays for an end to violence and asks the government to do everything possible to increase security around places of worships throughout the country".

      The cardinal secretary of State concludes his letter by expressing his "appreciation for the numerous initiatives undertaken for the benefit of the entire Iraqi community".

      VATICAN CITY, 26 FEB 2010 (VIS) - The Holy Father:

      - Erected the new ecclesiastical province of Toamasina, Madagascar, raising the current diocese of Toamasina to the status of metropolitan church and assigning it the suffragan dioceses of Ambatondrazaka, Moramanga and Fenoarivo-Atsinana. He appointed Bishop Desire Tsarahazana of Toamasina as the first metropolitan archbishop of Toamasina. The archbishop-elect was born in Amboangibe, Madagascar in 1954, he was ordained a priest in 1986 and consecrated a bishop in 2001.

      - Appointed Fr. Marie Fabien Raharilamboniaina O.C.D. superior general of the Carmelite Fathers for Madagascar and the Indian Ocean, as bishop of Morondava (area 46,620, population 490,000, Catholics 43,640, priests 34, religious 113), Madagascar. The bishop-elect was born in Ambohijanahary, Madagascar in 1968 and ordained a priest in 1997. He succeeds Bishop Donald Pelletier M.S., whose resignation from the pastoral care of the same diocese the Holy Father accepted, upon having reached the age limit.

      - Appointed Bishop Peter Lee Ki-heon, military ordinary for Korea, as bishop of Uijongbu (area 2,626, population 2,615,839, Catholics 196,995, priests 156, religious 166), Korea. He succeeds Bishop Lee Han-taek S.J., whose resignation from the pastoral care of the same diocese the Holy Father accepted, upon having reached the age limit.

      . YEAR FOR PRIESTS REFLECTIONS

      A Priest's Prayer

      Loving Father,
      I praise you, I love you, I adore you.
      Send your Holy Spirit to enlighten my mind
      to the truth of your Son, Jesus,
      Priest and Victim.
      Through the same Spirit guide my heart to his Sacred Heart,
      to renew in me a priestly passion
      that I, too, might lay down my life upon the altar.
      May your Spirit wash away my impurities
      and free me from all my transgressions
      in the Cup of Salvation,
      Let only your will be done in me.
      May the Blessed Mother of your dearly beloved Son,
      wrap her mantle around me and protect me from all evil.
      May she guide me to do whatever He tells me.
      May she teach me to have the heart of St. Joseph, her spouse,
      to protect and care for my bride.
      And may her pierced heart inspire me
      to embrace as my own your children
      who suffer at the foot of the cross.
      I humbly cry to her:
      please be my consoling mother,
      and help me to be a better son.
      Lord, make me a holy priest,
      inflamed with the fire of your love, seeking nothing
      but your greater glory and the salvation of souls.
      I humbly bless and thank you, my Father,
      through the Spirit, in Christ Jesus,
      your Son and my brother.
      Amen.

      O Mary, Queen of priests, pray for us.