    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 16, 2010

      Year For Priests Edition

      Volume 10, Issue 30
      WEDNESDAY 17 FEBRUARY 2010

      ASH WEDNESDAY
      FIRST DAY OF LENT

      . LENT: PATH OF CONVERSION AND OPENNESS TO DIVINE LOVE
      . YEAR FOR PRIESTS REFLECTIONS

      . LENT: PATH OF CONVERSION AND OPENNESS TO DIVINE LOVE

      VATICAN CITY, 17 FEB 2010 (VIS) - "Today, Ash Wednesday, we begin the Lenten path that lasts forty days and which leads us to the joy of the Lord's Easter", the Pope said at the beginning of his catechesis during today's general audience, celebrated in the Paul VI Audience Hall.

      Recalling the formula, "Convert and Believe in the Gospel", the Holy Father affirmed that "conversion means changing the direction of the path of our lives. (.) It is going against the current when the "current" is a superficial, incoherent, and illusory way of life that often drag us down, making us slaves of evil or prisoners of moral mediocrity. Nevertheless, through conversion we tend to the highest measure of Christian life, we trust in the living and personal Gospel who is Jesus Christ. He is the final goal and the profound path of conversion, the path that we are all called to travel in our lives, allowing ourselves to be illuminated with his light and sustained by his strength, which moves our steps".

      "'Convert and believe in the Gospel' is not just the beginning of the Christian life, but the accompaniment of all our steps, renewing and penetrating all aspects of our lives. Each day is a moment of favour and grace, (.) even when there is no lack of difficulties, weariness, and missteps, when we are tempted to abandon the path that follows Christ and retreat into ourselves and our selfishness without paying attention to the need to keep ourselves open to the love of God in Christ in order to live the very logic of justice and love".

      Benedict XVI emphasized that "faced with the innate fear of our end, and most of all in the context of a culture that tends in many ways to censure reality and the human experience of death, the Lenten liturgy reminds us of, on the one hand, death, inviting us to reality and wisdom, but on the other hand encourages us especially to grasp and live the unexpected newness that the Christian faith reveals in the reality of death itself".

      "The human being", he continued, "is dust and to dust it will return, but it is dust that is precious in God's eyes because He created humanity, destining us to immortality. (.) Jesus the Lord also wanted to freely share in human frailty with each person, above all through his death on the cross. But it was precisely this death, full of his love for the Father and for humanity, that was the way of glorious resurrection, the means by which Christ became the source of grace given to all who believe in Him and participate in the same divine life".

      The Pope highlighted that the distribution of ashes "is an invitation to spend the time during Lent as a more aware and more intense immersion in the paschal mystery of Christ, in his death and resurrection, through participation in the Eucharist and a life of charity that is born of the Eucharist and which finds its fulfilment in it. "With the distribution of ashes", he concluded, "we renew our commitment to follow Jesus, letting ourselves be transformed by his paschal mystery so that we may conquer evil and do good, so that we can let our 'old selves', tied to sin, die and let the 'new person' be born, transformed by the grace of God".

      VATICAN CITY, 17 FEB 2010 (VIS) - The Holy Father appointed Archbishop Alessandro D'Errico as apostolic nuncio to Montenegro. Archbishop D'Errico is currently apostolic nuncio to Bosnia-Herzegovina.

      . YEAR FOR PRIESTS REFLECTIONS

      A Priest's Prayer

      Loving Father,
      I praise you, I love you, I adore you.
      Send your Holy Spirit to enlighten my mind
      to the truth of your Son, Jesus,
      Priest and Victim.
      Through the same Spirit guide my heart to his Sacred Heart,
      to renew in me a priestly passion
      that I, too, might lay down my life upon the altar.
      May your Spirit wash away my impurities
      and free me from all my transgressions
      in the Cup of Salvation,
      Let only your will be done in me.
      May the Blessed Mother of your dearly beloved Son,
      wrap her mantle around me and protect me from all evil.
      May she guide me to do whatever He tells me.
      May she teach me to have the heart of St. Joseph, her spouse,
      to protect and care for my bride.
      And may her pierced heart inspire me
      to embrace as my own your children
      who suffer at the foot of the cross.
      I humbly cry to her:
      please be my consoling mother,
      and help me to be a better son.
      Lord, make me a holy priest,
      inflamed with the fire of your love, seeking nothing
      but your greater glory and the salvation of souls.
      I humbly bless and thank you, my Father,
      through the Spirit, in Christ Jesus,
      your Son and my brother.
      Amen.

      O Mary, Queen of priests, pray for us.
      Saint John Vianney, pray for us.

      Thursday after Ash Wednesday

      Reading I : Dt 30:15-20
      Gospel : Lk 9:22-25

      “If anyone wishes to come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me."

      Our Lord asks us to deny ourselves and take up our daily cross if we are to follow him. Our Lord was referring to the Roman cross used to crucify criminals, like the one He was crucified on. By denying ourselves of our own will and pleasure while bearing the trials and tribulations to the point of self abnegation, that is, putting aside our own self interest for His sake and that of our neighbor we become the authentic disciples of Jesus Christ. The heart of the message is for us to grow in love and love demands that we put the welfare and interests of others before our own, and place the will of Christ before our own.

      In Lent we sacrifice three full meals and eating meat on those few days of fast and abstinence mainly as signs to God of our willingness to put His Gospel and will before our own inclinations and self-interest. By doings these small things we learn about ourselves. It seems such a small matter to fast and abstain from meat on Fridays in Lent, but as we eat only a single full meal on those days we quickly see how our want for food can be a powerful sign to us of our own frailty and weakness in will and character. Learning first hand from our own experience we come to a more sober and humble realization of our own lack of discipline and spiritual strength. Yet, the good humble heart knows that God is his strength and bears him up where and when he cannot fend for himself. This learning experience makes us ever more reliant on God and His grace. For without God we can do nothing. We say this frequently but how often do we truly reflect and say it from the depths of our hearts? The overwhelming love God has for each and everyone of us is a vision of mind and heart we must develop through prayer, trust and confidence in God. Let this Lent be that period when we develop within ourselves charity and love for God and neighbor putting them before ourselves and enkindling our hearts to know the infinite vastness of His love for us.