    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 30, 2009

      Pauline Year Edition

      Volume 9, Issue 15
      TUESDAY 31 MARCH 2009

      . APPEAL FOR RELEASE OF RED CROSS WORKERS IN PHILIPPINES
      . FAITH IN THE DIVINE INITIATIVE - THE HUMAN RESPONSE
      . BENEDICT XVI'S PRAYER INTENTIONS FOR APRIL
      . MEETING OF WORLD YOUTH DAY ORGANISERS
      . PAULINE YEAR REFLECTIONS

      . APPEAL FOR RELEASE OF RED CROSS WORKERS IN PHILIPPINES

      VATICAN CITY, 31 MAR 2009 (VIS) - The Holy See Press Office released the following communique yesterday afternoon:

      "The Holy Father, sharing the concern of the families, and of everyone worried about the safety of the three Red Cross workers kidnapped on the island of Jolo in the Philippines, wishes to raise his voice and make an appeal that humanitarian values and reason may prevail over violence and intimidation.

      "The Holy Father, in the name of God, asks for the hostages to be released and calls upon the authorities to favour a peaceful solution to the dramatic situation".

      . FAITH IN THE DIVINE INITIATIVE - THE HUMAN RESPONSE

      VATICAN CITY, 31 MAR 2009 (VIS) - Made public today was the Message of Benedict XVI for the 46th World Day of Prayer for Vocations, which is due to be celebrated on 3 May, the fourth Sunday of Easter, and which has as its theme this year: "Faith in the divine initiative - the human response". The Message has been published in Spanish, English, French, Italian, German, Portuguese and Polish.

      Extracts from the text are given below:

      "The exhortation of Jesus to His disciples: 'Pray therefore the Lord of the harvest to send out labourers into His harvest' has a constant resonance in the Church. Pray! The urgent call of the Lord stresses that prayer for vocations should be continuous and trusting".

      "The vocation to the priesthood and to the consecrated life constitutes a special gift of God which becomes part of the great plan of love and salvation that God has for every man and woman and for the whole of humanity".

      "In the universal call to holiness, of particular relevance is God's initiative of choosing some to follow His Son Jesus Christ more closely, and to be His privileged ministers and witnesses. ... Responding to the Lord's call and docile to the movement of the Holy Spirit, over the centuries, countless ranks of priests and consecrated persons placed themselves totally at the service of the Gospel in the Church. Let us give thanks to God, because even today He continues to call together workers into His vineyard.

      "While it is undoubtedly true that a worrisome shortage of priests is evident in some regions of the world, and that the Church encounters difficulties and obstacles along the way, we are sustained by the unshakeable certitude that the One Who firmly guides her in the pathways of time towards the definitive fulfilment of the Kingdom is He, the Lord, Who freely chooses persons of every culture and of every age and invites them to follow Him according to the mysterious plans of His merciful love.

      "Our first duty, therefore, is to keep alive in families and in parishes, in movements and in apostolic associations, in religious communities and in all the sectors of diocesan life this appeal to the divine initiative with unceasing prayer".

      "What is asked of those who are called ... is careful listening and prudent discernment, a generous and willing adherence to the divine plan, and a serious study of the reality that is proper to the priestly and religious vocations, so as to be able to respond responsibly and with conviction".

      "In the Eucharist, that perfect gift which brings to fulfilment the plan of love for the redemption of the world, Jesus offers Himself freely for the salvation of mankind. ... It is priests who are called to perpetuate this salvific mystery from century to century. ... In the celebration of the Eucharist it is Christ Himself Who acts in those whom He chooses as His ministers; He supports them so that their response develops in a dimension of trust and gratitude that removes all fear, even when they experience more acutely their own weakness, or indeed when the experience of misunderstanding or even of persecution is most bitter".

      "To believe in the Lord and to accept His gift, therefore, leads us to entrust ourselves to Him with thankful hearts, adhering to His plan of salvation. When this does happen, the one who is 'called' voluntarily leaves everything and submits himself to the teaching of the divine Master; hence a fruitful dialogue between God and man begins, a mysterious encounter between the love of the Lord Who calls and the freedom of man who responds in love".

      "This intertwining of love between the divine initiative and the human response is present also, in a wonderful way, in the vocation to the consecrated life. ... Attracted by Him, from the very first centuries of Christianity, many men and women have left families, possessions, material riches and all that is humanly desirable in order to follow Christ generously and live the Gospel without compromise, which had become for them a school of deeply rooted holiness".

      "The response of men and women to the divine call, whenever they are aware that it is God Who takes the initiative and brings His plan of salvation to fulfilment, ... expresses itself in a ready adherence to the Lord's invitation. ... Without in any sense renouncing personal responsibility, the free human response to God thus becomes 'co-responsibility', responsibility in and with Christ, through the action of His Holy Spirit; it becomes communion with the One Who makes it possible for us to bear much fruit.

      "An emblematic human response, full of trust in God's initiative, is the generous and unmitigated 'Amen' of the Virgin of Nazareth, uttered with humble and decisive adherence to the plan of the Most High. ... I want to entrust to her all those who are aware of God's call to set out on the road of the ministerial priesthood or consecrated life.

      "Dear friends, do not become discouraged in the face of difficulties and doubts; trust in God and follow Jesus faithfully and you will be witnesses of the joy that flows from intimate union with Him".

      . BENEDICT XVI'S PRAYER INTENTIONS FOR APRIL

      VATICAN CITY, 31 MAR 2009 (VIS) - Pope Benedict's general prayer intention for April is: "That the Lord may bless farmers' work with an abundant harvest and sensitise the richer populations to the drama of hunger in the world".

      His mission intention is: "That the Christians who operate in the territories where the conditions of the poor, the weak and the women and children are most tragic, may be signs of hope, thanks to their courageous testimony to the Gospel of solidarity and love".

      . MEETING OF WORLD YOUTH DAY ORGANISERS

      VATICAN CITY, 31 MAR 2009 (VIS) - The Pontifical Council for the Laity has organised an international meeting of World Youth Day organisers, in preparation for the next World Youth Day, which is due to be held in Madrid, Spain, in 2011. The meeting will take place in Rome from 3 to 5 April.

      "This is the first international meeting of WYD organisers in preparation for Madrid", reads an English-language note published by the Pontifical Council for the Laity. "The organising committees of Sydney 2008 and Madrid 2011 will be present. There will be delegates at the meeting from around 70 countries and representatives from 35 international Catholic communities, associations and movements, a total of around 150 people".

      The sessions will begin on 3 April with a greeting by Cardinal Stanislaw Rylko, president of the Pontifical Council for the Laity. Evaluation of Sydney 2008 will take place with Cardinal George Pell, archbishop of that city, and Auxiliary Bishop Anthony Fisher O.P. speaking of the fruits of the event as experienced in their archdiocese and throughout Australia. Fr. Eric Jacquinet will moderate a discussion which will enable the impact of WYD at a local level to be evaluated, and which will explore how WYD can serve as a model for the regular pastoral care of youth. Mass presided by Cardinal Pell will conclude the day's sessions.

      "Towards Madrid 2011" is the theme for the sessions of 4 April. Cardinal Antonio Maria Rouco Varela, archbishop of Madrid, and Auxiliary Bishop Cesar Augusto Franco Martinez will talk about the Church in Spain, and present the reasons, challenges and expectations of this new phase in World Youth Days. A number of young Spaniards will also speak, and some initial information about organisational planning will be presented. Bishop Josef Clemens, secretary of the Pontifical Council for the Laity, will present Benedict XVI's Message for 24th World Youth Day, after which Cardinal Rylko will make some concluding remarks.

      On 5 April, Palm Sunday, participants will attend the Mass celebrated by the Pope in St. Peter's Square during which, in a traditional hand-over ceremony, the Australians will consign the World Youth Day cross to the Spaniards. A tangible "passing of the baton among the youth of the world", the note concludes, "which places before us as a point of reference the stark reality of the Cross, the hope that springs from the Resurrection".

      . PAULINE YEAR REFLECTIONS

      St. Paul asked the Roman Tribune if he could have a word with him in private. When the Tribune heard him speak Greek he realized he was not the Egyptian who incited a recent revolt. Sometime around 58 AD, perhaps a month or just few weeks before St. Paul arrived in Jerusalem an Egyptian false Messiah, it is claimed by Josephus, had thirty-thousand followers who met on the Mount of Olives believing they would see the walls of Jerusalem fall down at his command and then capture of the Roman Fortress thereby becoming the new King of Jerusalem (Josephus: War of the Jews, 2.259-263; Antiquities of the Jews 20.169-171). The Roman Tribune gives us another version of the story that it only consisted of about four thousand Jews, he characterized as assassins who carried the sicarii, a cycle-shaped knife concealed in their clothing. This was a Sicarii Revolt headed by a Zealot false prophet, probably from Alexandria, Egypt. The Jews awaited a Messiah, many believed he would be a military leader that would set them free from the Roman Imperial rule and establish a kingdom of a Jewish King who would rule the world. When Jesus came with His Gospel, many Jews refused to follow Him because He was not conforming to their expectations. Now, St. Paul, the Vicar of Christ arrives in Jerusalem and the Jews reject him in a riotous revolt just as they had on Good Friday as an angry mob shouting Crucify him! Crucify him!

      REFLECTION

      St. Paul went to Jerusalem to serve the Church that was weakened there by compromising Christian leaders in the Catholic hierarchy. He knew he had to strengthen them in the faith and set them on the straight and narrow path of the orthodox Catholic faith, no longer subjecting converts to ritual circumcision. Now he finds that the whole city is in revolt excited by the recent events of a false Messiah promising what their ears wanted to hear. Frustrated by their foiled plans of a successful revolt against Rome they were beside themselves with anger and riotousness when they learned of St. Paul’s presence in Jerusalem. Like Jesus before him, they wished to be rid of him by having him executed. They only wanted political freedom and liberation from the Romans, not the freedom Christ offers liberating them from sin and the spiritual death it brings. Like children of Essau they wanted material goods and freedom, not spiritual gifts.

      Our beloved Holy Father, Benedict XVI faces the same situation today in the global community. People are running after false Messiahs, materialism, consumer culture, sexual liberation, freedom to do whatever they feel like to the rejection of reason and the sound moral principles taught by our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Even within the Catholic Church there are members of the hierarchy who compromise the directives of the Holy Father in a feeble effort to win popularity giving the people what they want and telling them the things they wish to hear. The crisis in the Church and the crisis without the Church are the same today as they were in the time of St. Paul when he visited Jerusalem circa 58 AD. Not much has changed these past 1951 years. The Church shall overcome its inner conflicts as it always has and the tensions between the Church’s teaching and the global culture shall wane as it will continue to find new converts and speak to those in darkness and the shadow of death. Pray for our Holy Father that he like St. Paul may have the courage, wisdom, knowledge and the power to bring Christ to the world and establish peace.

      Wednesday of the Fifth Week of Lent

      Reading 1 : Dn 3:14-20, 91-92, 95
      Gospel : Jn 8:31-42

      Today’s two readings teach us about the moral character God expects each and every one of us to have.

      In the Book of Daniel we see three Jews refuse to worship the false god of the Persian King even if it meant martyrdom. This sort of unflinching moral conviction is what God expects from every one.

      We can compare these three Jews to their ancestors who worshiped the golden calf in the Sinai Dessert when Moses was up the mountain out of their sight.

      How many too today continue to worship the golden calf or the idol presented by King Nebuchadnezzar? We do this whenever we compromise our moral principles. We do this whenever we act out of fear of others and shirk our faith, and the moral teaching of the Catholic Church and choose instead to go astray thinking this is a safer and better path, one that will help me financially or give me what I want and need. When we do this we are actually acting out of cowardice disbelieving God will protect us and provide for us. Even if we do not experience God’s protection or providence and go in want and suffering, it is a far better course of action than to be disloyal to our God who is infinitely precious and adorable. How many times have we sinned this way only to regret what we have done and wept tears of repentance?

      Jesus tells us that by our sins we are slaves to sin. Even if we be direct descendants of Abraham, yet sin, we too are slaves to sin. But, who has not sinned? Everyone has sinned. But to follow Christ is to follow the only authentic path to real freedom. The freedom and liberty that Jesus Christ can give, no government can give, no guru cult, no drug, no idol we might seek. Jesus Christ is the only one who can set us free and give us the absolute freedom and genuine liberty as heirs of heaven.

      Reflect on your sins and acknowledge that our weaknesses only enslave us. Ask Jesus to give you the grace to be free from sin and enjoy the strength of the heirs of heaven. Examine yourself and be honest about your weaknesses and your favorite sins. Make a strong resolution so that by the grace of God you may be free from the bondage of sin and sinful habits and enjoy the freedom of those who walk with Christ.

      (Print and distribute)

      <>< ~~~ <>< ~~~ <>< ~~~ <>< ~~~ <>< ~~~ ><> ~~~ ><> ~~~ ><>~~~ ><>
      Joseph Ratzinger, Introduction to Christianity (New York : Herder and
      Herder, 1970)

      PART TWO : JESUS CHRIST

      Chapter I : "I BELIEVE IN JESUS CHRIST, HIS ONLY BEGOTTEN-SON, OUR
      LORD"(141-204)

      EXCURSUS ; CHRISTIAN STRUCTURES (182-204)

      6. The primacy of acceptance and Christian positivity (201-203)

      Cardinal Ratzinger (our beloved Pope Benedict XVI) explains the relationship between the human person and the Crucified Christ as one that is primarily that of acceptance over action and personal achievement.

      To elucidate this point he first draws a parallel of this Christian principle comparing it to Marxism. Marxism offers the suffering proletariat as the redeemer of the world by his action to revolt in the class struggle with the ruling class winning equality for all. For the Christian, however, this power to reform and transform the world resides with the grace of Christ, not human class revolt.

      The Christian comes to his senses, not by what he does but by what he accepts, namely Christ’s salvific actions for his behalf. The Christian waits for the gift of love, something that is not self-generated but comes from without and received as a gift from God. One becomes whole not by one’s actions and deeds but by being loved, loving and allowing oneself to be loved. This satisfies the craving of the human heart, man’s greatest need, love that only God can give. Therefore, man’s salvation comes from receiving God’s gift not through affirmative action or social reform.

      However, this primacy of acceptance does not mean that we are to remain passive. Rather, it means that through the grace of Christ and His gift of love we are able to act responsibly in the freedom of the children of God. This reception of grace is a positive force which gives us the energy to act positively in the world as children of light enjoying the freedom that only Christ can give.