    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 20, 2009

      Pauline Year Edition

      Volume 9, Issue 8
      SATURDAY 21 MARCH 2009

      . PRIMARY AGENTS, NOT JUST RECIPIENTS, OF DEVELOPMENT
      . POPE MEETS BISHOPS OF ANGOLA AND SAO TOME
      . BAPTISM ENABLES ALL BELIEVERS TO BE ONE IN CHRIST
      . PAULINE YEAR REFLECTIONS

      . PRIMARY AGENTS, NOT JUST RECIPIENTS, OF DEVELOPMENT

      VATICAN CITY, 20 MAR 2009 (VIS) - At 5 p.m. today, the Holy Father travelled to Luanda 's "Palacio do Povo" where he was received by President Jose Eduardo dos Santos . Following a private meeting with the head of State, the Pope pronounced an address before the country's civil and political authorities, and the diplomatic corps accredited to Angola .

      "You are the protagonists and witnesses of an Angola which is on the road to recovery", the Pope told them. "In the wake of the twenty-seven-year civil war that ravaged this country, peace has begun to take root, bringing with it the fruits of stability and freedom. The government's tangible efforts to establish an infrastructure and to rebuild the institutions fundamental to development and the well-being of society have begun to foster hope among the nation's citizens. Multilateral agencies too have made their contribution, determined to overcome particular interests in order to work for the common good. There is also the example of those honest teachers, medical workers, and civil servants who, on meagre wages, serve their communities with integrity and compassion, and there are countless others who selflessly undertake voluntary work at the service of the most needy. May God bless them abundantly! May their charity multiply!

      " Angola knows that the time has come for Africa to be the Continent of Hope", he added. "All upright human conduct is hope in action. Our actions are never indifferent before God. Nor are they indifferent for the unfolding of history. Friends, armed with integrity, magnanimity and compassion, you can transform this continent, freeing your people from the scourges of greed, violence and unrest and leading them along the path marked with the principles indispensable to every modern civic democracy: respect and promotion of human rights, transparent governance, an independent judiciary, a free press, a civil service of integrity, a properly functioning network of schools and hospitals, and - most pressing - a determination born from the conversion of hearts to excise corruption once and for all.

      "In my Message for the World Day of Peace this year", Pope Benedict went on, "I drew particular attention to the need for an ethical approach to development. In fact, the peoples of this continent are rightly calling out, not simply for more programmes and protocols, but for a deep-seated, lasting conversion of hearts to sincere solidarity. Their plea to those serving in politics, public service, international agencies, and multinational companies is simply this: stand alongside us in a profoundly human way; accompany us, and our families and our communities.

      "Social and economic development in Africa bring into partnership national leadership together with regional initiatives and international resolve. Such partnerships require that African nations be seen not simply as the receivers of others' plans and solutions. African men and women themselves, working together for the good of their communities, should be the primary agents of their own development. In this regard, there are a growing number of effective initiatives which merit support. Among them are: the New Partnership for Africa's Development (NEPAD), the Pact on Security, Stability, and Development in the Great Lakes Region, together with the 'Kimberley Process', the 'Publish What You Pay Coalition' and the 'Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative'. Their common goal is to promote transparency, honest business practice and good governance.

      "In regard to the international community as a whole, of pressing importance are co-ordinated efforts to address the issue of climate change, the full and fair implementation of the development commitments of the Doha round and likewise the implementation of the oft-repeated promise by developed countries to commit 0.7 percent of their Gross National Product for official development assistance. This undertaking is all the more necessary in view of the world's current financial turmoil, and must not become one of its casualties".

      The Holy Father then spoke of his delight "at being among families" during his apostolic trip to Cameroon and Angola . "Indeed", he observed, "I think that those who come from other continents can learn afresh from Africa that 'the family is the foundation on which the social edifice is built'.

      "Yet", he added, "the strains upon families, as we all know, are many indeed: anxiety and ignominy caused by poverty, unemployment, disease and displacement. ... Particularly disturbing is the crushing yoke of discrimination that women and girls so often endure, not to mention the unspeakable practice of sexual violence and exploitation which causes such humiliation and trauma. I must also mention a further area of grave concern: the policies of those who, claiming to improve the 'social edifice', threaten its very foundations. How bitter the irony of those who promote abortion as a form of 'maternal' healthcare! How disconcerting the claim that the termination of life is a matter of reproductive health.

      "You will always find the Church, in accordance with the will of her divine Founder, standing alongside the poorest of this continent. I wish to assure each of you that" through her many initiatives she "will continue to do all she can to support families - including those suffering the harrowing effects of HIV/AIDS - and to uphold the equal dignity of women and men, realised in harmonious complementarity. The Christian spiritual journey is one of daily conversion. To this the Church invites all leaders so that the path opened for all humanity will be one of truth, integrity, respect and compassion".

      Having completed his address, the Pope travelled to the apostolic nunciature, where he met with bishops of Angola and Sao Tome .

      . POPE MEETS BISHOPS OF ANGOLA AND SAO TOME

      VATICAN CITY, 20 MAR 2009 (VIS) - At 7 p.m. today at the apostolic nunciature in Luanda , the Pope met with bishops of Angola and Sao Tome .

      "God will reward you", he told the prelates, "for all the apostolic work which you have accomplished in difficult conditions, both during the war and at the present time, in spite of so many limitations, thus helping to give the Church in Angola and in Sao Tome and Principe that dynamism which everyone acknowledges".

      Referring then to the challenges they have to face, he recalled the fact that, "as a corrective to a widespread relativism which acknowledges nothing as definitive and, even more, tends to make its ultimate measure the individual and his personal caprice, we hold out another measure: the Son of God, Who is also true man. Christ is the measure of true humanism. The Christian marked by an adult and mature faith is not one who is borne along by the waves of fashion and the latest novelties, but one who lives deeply rooted in the friendship of Christ. This friendship opens us up to all that is good, and it provides us with the criterion for discerning between error and truth".

      "Culture and models of behaviour are nowadays more and more conditioned and shaped by the images set forth by the communications media. For this reason, I wish to acknowledge your praiseworthy efforts to develop, in this area too, a communications strategy which will enable you to provide everyone with a Christian interpretation of human events, problems and realities".

      The Holy Father dwelt upon the "difficulties and threats" facing families, which "are particularly in need of evangelisation and practical support, since, in addition to the fragility and lack of inner stability of so many conjugal unions, there is the widespread tendency in society and culture to call into question the unique nature and specific mission of the family based on marriage.

      "In your pastoral concern which extends to every human being", he added, "continue to raise your voice in defence of the sacredness of human life and the value of the institution of marriage, as well as in promotion of the family's proper role in the Church and in society, at the same time demanding economic and legislative measures to support the family in bearing and raising children".

      The Pope spoke of his joy "that your nations have so many vibrant communities of faith, a committed laity devoted to many works of the apostolate, and a significant number of vocations to the ordained ministry and the consecrated life, especially the contemplative life. They represent a genuine sign of hope for the future", he said.

      Noting that the clergy is becoming "increasingly indigenous", he praised "the work which has been patiently and heroically carried out by the missionaries in proclaiming Christ and His Gospel and in giving birth to the Christian communities for which you today are responsible".

      Pope Benedict urged the prelates "to be deeply concerned for your priests, attentive to their continuing formation on both the theological and spiritual levels, and alert to the conditions in which they live and exercise their specific mission, so that they can be authentic witnesses of the Word they proclaim and the Sacraments they celebrate.

      "In the gift of themselves to Christ and to the people whom they shepherd, may they remain faithful to the demands of their state of life, and live out their priestly ministry as a true path to holiness, striving to become saints and in this way to raise up new saints all around them".

      At the end of the meeting, Benedict XVI dined with the bishops of Angola and Sao Tome , and his entourage.

      . BAPTISM ENABLES ALL BELIEVERS TO BE ONE IN CHRIST

      VATICAN CITY, 21 MAR 2009 (VIS) - At 10 a .m. today, Benedict XVI celebrated Mass at the church of Sao Paulo in Luanda , Angola . The church, built by the Capuchin Fathers in 1935, has been the property of the Salesians since 1982. The ceremony was attended by bishops, priests, religious, members of ecclesial movements and catechists of Angola and Sao Tome .

      "St. Paul, the patron saint of the city of Luanda and of this splendid church, ... speaks to us from personal experience about this God Who is rich in mercy", said the Holy Father in his homily. "I feel great joy to be here today with you, my fellow-workers in the Lord's vineyard, where you labour daily to prepare the wine of divine mercy and to pour it out as balm on the wounds of your people who have suffered so many tribulations".

      The decisive event in the life of the Apostle of the Gentiles, noted Benedict XVI, "was his encounter with Jesus on the road to Damascus . ... The Apostle saw the Risen Jesus; and in Him he beheld the full stature of humanity. As a result Paul experienced an inversion of perspective; he now saw everything in the light of this perfect stature of humanity in Christ".

      "'Let us make haste to know the Lord', the Risen One!" he exclaimed. "As you know, Jesus, perfect man, is also our true God. In Him, God became visible to our eyes, to give us a share in His divine life. With Him a new dimension of being, of life, has come about, a dimension which integrates matter and through which a new world arises".

      This new dimension "comes to each of us through faith and Baptism. This Sacrament is truly death and resurrection, transformation and new life. ... I live, but no longer I. In a certain way, my identity has been taken away and made part of an even greater identity; I still have my personal identity, but now it is changed and open to others as a result of my becoming part of Another: in Christ I find myself living on a new plane".

      "Through this process of our 'Christification' by the working and grace of God's Spirit, the gestation of the Body of Christ in history is gradually being accomplished in us. At this moment I would like to go back in thought five centuries, to the years following 1506, when, in these lands, then visited by the Portuguese, the first sub-Saharan Christian kingdom was established, thanks to the faith and determination of the king, Dom Alphonsus I Mbemba-a-Nzinga, who reigned from 1506 until his death in 1543. The kingdom remained officially Catholic from the sixteenth century until the eighteenth, with its own ambassador in Rome . You see how two quite different ethnic groups the Bantu and the Portuguese were able to find in the Christian religion common ground for understanding, and committed themselves to ensuring that this understanding would be long-lasting, and that differences - which undoubtedly existed, and great ones at that - would not divide the two kingdoms! For Baptism enables all believers to be one in Christ.

      "Today it is up to you", he added, "to offer the Risen Christ to your fellow citizens. So many of them are living in fear of spirits, of malign and threatening powers. In their bewilderment they end up even condemning street children and the elderly as alleged sorcerers. Who can go to them to proclaim that Christ has triumphed over death and all those occult powers? Someone may object: 'Why not leave them in peace? They have their truth, and we have ours. Let us all try to live in peace, leaving everyone as they are, so they can best be themselves'.

      "But if we are convinced and have come to experience that without Christ life lacks something, that something real - indeed, the most real thing of all - is missing, we must also be convinced that we do no injustice to anyone if we present Christ to them and thus grant them the opportunity of finding their truest and most authentic selves, the joy of finding life. Indeed, we must do this. It is our duty to offer everyone this possibility of attaining eternal life".

      "Let us enable human poverty to encounter divine mercy", the Pope concluded. "The Lord makes us His friends, He entrusts Himself to us, He gives us His Body in the Eucharist, He entrusts His Church to us. ... Let us embrace His will, like St. Paul : 'Preaching the Gospel ... is a necessity laid upon me; woe to me if I do not preach the Gospel!'"

      At the end of Mass, the Holy Father travelled back to the apostolic nunciature, where he had lunch.

      VATICAN CITY, 21 MAR 2009 ( VIS ) - The Holy Father:

      - Erected the new diocese of Namibe (area 57,097, population 1,195,779, Catholics 270,294, priests 12, religious 27) Angola , with territory taken from the archdiocese of Lubango, making it a suffragan of the same metropolitan church. He appointed Fr. Mateus Feliciano Tomas, chancellor of the archdiocese of Huambo and pastor of the cathedral, as first bishop of the new diocese. The bishop-elect was born in Chinguar , Angola in 1958 and ordained a priest in 1983.

      - Appointed Fr. Giovanni Migliorati M.C.C.I., secretary general of the apostolic vicariate of Awasa , Ethiopia , and rector of the major seminary there, as apostolic vicar of the same vicariate (area 75,000, population 6,067,000, Catholics 173,000, priests 47, religious 69). The bishop-elect was born in Pavone Mella , Italy in 1942 and ordained a priest in 1969. He succeeds Bishop Lorenzo Ceresoli M.C.C.I., whose resignation from the pastoral care of the same apostolic vicariate the Holy Father accepted, upon having reached the age limit.

      . PAULINE YEAR REFLECTIONS

      As St. Paul approached Jerusalem accompanied by members of the Church from Caesarea Maritima (Haifa, Israel) and he was brought to the home of Mnason, a Cypriot who was among the earliest disciples. Cyprus is mentioned eight times in the New Testament and all of them are found in the Acts of the Apostles. The apostle Barnabas also came from Cyprus. But, the expression “one of the earliest disciples” harks to a time before Barnabas, to a time when Jesus lived during His earthly ministry. Mnason was probably a bishop in the territory between modern day Haifa and Jerusalem. His home as typical was donated to the Church for its use for hierarchy of the Church and Sunday liturgy. After staying there for an unspecified period of time, probably just the night, St. Paul went on to Jerusalem. When St. Paul arrived everyone gave him a very warm welcome. They greeted the Holy Father and the next day brought him to visit St. James and the hierarchy of the Church at Jerusalem.

      We cannot help but sense the note of sadness in the absence of St. Peter, whose home at Jerusalem St. Paul had visited so long ago. After St. Peter established the Church at Rome he was martyred probably around AD 49 and St. Paul emerged as the universally acknowledge successor of St. Peter. Now he is brought to visit with the Church hierarchy in Jerusalem to discuss the problems facing the Church there. But before doing so St. Paul greeted them and gave testimony to all of the work he had done establishing the Church in many countries and bringing many Jews to conversion.

      After St. Paul’s speech the voice of an unnamed Church official began to tell how tension within the Church exists between the adherents to Mosaic law and St. Paul’s teaching that Catholics are free from strict observance of Mosaic law including circumcision.

      When St. Peter was alive and living at Jerusalem he summoned the first Council of the Church sometime around AD 47 to discuss the issue of circumcision. The Church Fathers unanimously agreed that no new disciples required circumcision, and St. Peter pronounced this Catholic doctrine.

      Apparently, in the absence of the Pope, the hierarchy at Jerusalem gave in to the demands of the right wing ultra-conservative Jewish converts and continued circumcision failing to uphold the teaching of the first Church Council of Jerusalem held perhaps a decade earlier.

      REFLECTION

      St. Paul is brought into the storm of controversy. As Pope his duty is to strengthen the brethren in the Catholic faith. St. Paul was with the apostles in Jerusalem long before when the Church settled the issue regarding circumcision as no longer necessary or required for salvation. No converts to Catholicism were required to become Jews first and then Christians. The adherence to the old Mosaic laws or the amassed 613 laws Jews followed were no longer regarded by the Catholic Church as binding. However, in the absence of St. Peter and his successor the Church at Jerusalem had become lax in the official teaching of the Church and fell back on the old former traditions the Church had dissolved. St. Paul’s task given to him by God is to set the Church universally on a straight course with all one in the same ship. Now we see the Church tossed about like the ship during the Storm at Sea. The apostles woke Jesus up on that ship crying “Lord we are all perishing.” Jesus stood up and said to the squall “Peace be still.” And, that very instant the storm ceased. Now, St. Paul is in the ship of the Church sailing through the eye of a storm. He fearlessly came to Jerusalem knowing his enemies amongst the Jews wished to hand him over to the Roman authorities and have him executed. Now, he knows it is not only the enemies from without the Church, but also from within. How similar is our beloved Holy Father Benedict XVI to St. Paul who faces challenges from those both without and within the Church. Like St. Paul God bestows His abundant grace on His Vicar and together they join that which tends to separate into one solid body. Pray for the Holy Father who continues to deal daily with such difficult challenges to bind and join as One the Body of Christ. Pray too to a reunification within the Church that we may all be one as Jesus prayed at the Last Supper. Pray always that the Orthodox Church finalize its reunion officially and that its bishops and patriarchs become active Cardinals at Rome in union with the Pope. Pray for all Christendom to become one, just as we see St. Paul struggling now in the Acts of the Apostles to restore unity and harmony among the brethren.

      Monday of the Fourth Week of Lent

      Reading 1 : Is 65:17-21
      Gospel : Jn 4:43-54

      Jesus returned to Galilee and is warmly greeted by everyone since they had seen the signs and wonders he performed in Jerusalem during the Passover Feast. Among them was a royal official whose son was ill in Capernaum. Although this royal official is unnamed we can suppose it was Chuza, the steward of King Herod. As a prominent Jew he certainly was numbered among the Galileans who witnessed the miracles in Jerusalem. Regardless of the identity of this man he went to Jesus and asked him to come down and heal his son, who was near death. Jesus said to him, "Unless you people see signs and wonders, you will not believe." Evidently this man came to believe in Jesus because he witnessed the signs performed at Jerusalem. But, our Lord wished in His heart that people might believe in Him, not because of the signs and wonders He performed but because He is God in the flesh and His very person and words, His very presence and decorum revealed that He is the Christ. Jesus wants us to believe in Him because of His very nature, His divinity, His glorious personality, His evidence in Himself of God and Christ joined in His very person.

      We live in a time remote from that of the historical person Jesus. We have not the gift of seeing Him as Chuza or whoever this royal official might have been. Our faith must not lie in the externals of religion, glorious artworks, grand cathedrals, alluring music, fragrant incense, exquisite vestments and the like. Our faith must not lie in miracles, even those at Fatima and Lourdes, which the Church has confirmed as divine in origin. We are being asked by God Himself to believe in Jesus Christ, His only Begotten Son, simply because He is, He exists, His very words spoken in Sacred Scripture, His salvation granted through His holy blood shed on the cross. When we believe in this man, Jesus Christ for who He is, and the fact He is risen, He is living and ever present we are blessed as our Lord said to the doubting Thomas, “Blessed are those who believe and have not seen.”

      This is the great challenge of faith given to Chuza, or perhaps, some unidentified royal official as it is given to you and me. We are all asked to believe in Jesus Christ, God in the flesh, because God is loving and caring and did as He promised to save the human family from eternal death giving them eternal life in a new heaven and a new earth as He promised Isaiah in today’s first reading.

      This demand goes to every human person, not just Roman Catholics. But we can appreciate the difficulty for our Jewish brethren today, who like us live apart from the historical times of Jesus of Nazareth and have been reared in a tradition that has rejected the historical Jesus as the Messiah. How much more difficult it must be for our Jewish brethren today to believe in Jesus. Yet, too how difficult it is for many people around the world living in a global culture that keeps the human person weighed down economically, politically, lacking the proper means to live with human dignity and the freedom God wishes all human beings to have as His given gift of life. People are barraged by the culture of selfishness and materialism, consumerism and self-aggrandizement. How difficult it is for anyone today to overcome the burdens of our society and its culture to believe.

      Our Lord asked “Will the Son of Man find any faith when He returns?” Faith is a faculty of the human mind and intelligence. We believe in many things that are frivolous but are weak in faith for the things that matter, namely, faith in Jesus Christ and His Church. How many pick and choose what they wish to accept and choose to reject about the Catholic faith as if it were a menu in a restaurant? Lent is that time when we need to take our lives serious and seriously examine ourselves to see if we have become compromising and part-time Christians who half-heartedly accept our Catholic faith, or, do we embrace all of it with faith, deep rooted faith that Jesus Christ is God who gave us His Church and leads and guides it through the ages so that people throughout time might come to Him and be saved?

      Let us take the example of this royal official who believed what Jesus told him. Let us too like him believe everything the Catholic Church believes and teaches. Let us believe in His Vicar, our beloved Pope Benedict XVI and heed what he tells us and support him morally with our words, deeds and prayers.

      Let this Lent become a time when we increase our faith and open up our minds and hearts generously to God and say “Yes, Lord. I believe. I believe in You with all my mind, heart, strength and with all my soul.” With renewed faith we shall rise with Christ and begin this Easter to share in His abundant grace that we shall enjoy for ever.

      (Print and distribute)

      <>< ~~~ <>< ~~~ <>< ~~~ <>< ~~~ <>< ~~~ ><> ~~~ ><> ~~~ ><>~~~ ><>
      Joseph Ratzinger, Introduction to Christianity (New York : Herder and
      Herder, 1970)

      PART TWO : JESUS CHRIST

      Chapter I : "I BELIEVE IN JESUS CHRIST, HIS ONLY BEGOTTEN-SON, OUR
      LORD"(141-204)

      EXCURSUS ; CHRISTIAN STRUCTURES (182-204)

      4. The law of excess or superfluity (194-198)

      Cardinal Ratzinger (our beloved Holy Father, Benedict XVI) paints a portrait of God’s saving grace as an infinite sea of mercy. He begins by showing the tension in the New Testament between the total forgiveness of God for man’s sinfulness and the complete demand for justice, the inability of man to be righteous and can achieve nothing and God’s demand that he be perfect as his heavenly Father is perfect. He points out how these seemingly opposing tensions are reconciled in the New Testament in the concept of excess, pointing to the Greek word perisseuma. There are actually five Greek words that express this concept, but we shall first examine those given in the text as Benedict XVI gives them.

      He begins by citing Matthew’s Sermon on the Mount specifically 5:20 “For I tell you, unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.” The Greek word perisseuo is used here for the word exceeds or surpasses. As Benedict XVI points out “This statement means first of all that all human righteousness is dismissed as inadequate.” (page 194). One is humbled and reminded here of the maxim found in Luke 12:48 “one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked.” The Greek word used here is perissoteros. As Benedict XVI says, “But those who belong to it would be the last to deny that for this very reason they are always finding themselves at the beginning again and full of deficiencies. The “state of perfection” is in reality the most dramatic depiction of the abiding imperfection of man.” (ibid.) So, that even those who walk the extra mile find themselves deficient and no human act can save oneself, but only the abundant or excessive grace of God’s salvation wrought by the blood of Jesus Christ crucified.

      The very use of the Greek word perisseuo found in Matthew 5:20 which began this discussion on excess we find used later on in St. Paul’s First Letter to the Thessalonians 3:12 “May the Lord make your love increase and overflow for each other.” This excess in Mt 5:20 pointing to man’s deficiency in righteousness points the way in 1 Th 3:12 to its fulfillment and his salvation by love and forgiveness, those qualities that make us one with our creator and perfect as our heavenly Father is perfect.

      Again referring to Matthew’s Sermon on the Mount 5:21-48 Jesus enumerates the law, “Thou shalt not kill.. Thou shalt not commit adultery. Thou shalt not bear false witness.” The simplistic theology that points to black and white conditions of man’s state of grace or sinfulness are shattered by the reality that in our imperfect state as fallen and broken people we are guilty and participate in sin by our imperfections. As Benedict XVI puts it, “But as Jesus illuminates the depths of these demands it becomes evident that man shares in these sins through anger, hatred, failure to forgive, envy and covetousness.” (page 195). Therefore, no human person is righteous in themselves.

      One would think pessimistically and negatively that if this is the case then no one will enter heaven.. He then draws upon the iconography of Camus’ myth of Sisyphus who in all futility pushes the stone uphill only to become frustrated when it slides down again. But the Bible gives man hope when we accept God’s saving gifts. Our righteousness is in the blood of Jesus Christ and it is in God’s holy excess as a living fountain for all human persons throughout all the ages.

      Another Greek word perisseia is found in Romans 5;17 God’s abundant provision. Here we see that God completely satisfies everything lacking in us and abundantly provides for us to live with Him in glory for ever. This grace of God opens us up to authentically forgive as we forgive those who trespass against us. Which brings us to the fifth Greek word perissos found in John 10:10 “I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.” This excess of God provides for us everything sufficient to be the holy people of God, humbles and saved by the blood of Jesus Christ crucified.

      God demonstrates this excess most dramatically in the New Testament themes of the Eucharist especially in Mark 8:8 with the multiplication of the bread and fish creating perisseuma or excess of seven baskets filled after the crowds had their excess to the full. Although none of these five Greek words appears in John2:1-11 recounting the miracle of the water changed to wine at Cana, Labanon (Galilee), the implication is there by the fact of the sheer excessive quantity of wine produced by the grace of Jesus Christ amounting between 130 to 190 gallons, more than one would need for such a banquet.

      God is the infinite self-expenditure on His glorious creation. He gives completely of Himself in excess so that not one of us may be lost.