    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2008

      Pauline Year Edition

      Volume 8, Issue 185
      TUESDAY 2 DECEMBER 2008

      . ENSURE MORE JUST AND EQUITABLE TRADE SYSTEMS
      . IN MEMORIAM
      . EDITOR'S NOTE

      . ENSURE MORE JUST AND EQUITABLE TRADE SYSTEMS

      VATICAN CITY, 2 DEC 2008 (VIS) - Archbishop Celestino Migliore, permanent observer of the Holy See to the United Nations in New York, yesterday participated in an international conference on financing for development being held in Doha, Qatar.

      "Social and economic development must be measured and implemented with the human person at the center of all decisions", said Archbishop Migliore speaking English. While noting that aid has increased over recent years, he pointed out that "questions remain: how many people do not have access to even basic healthcare and how many lack decent employment to provide a living wage for themselves and their families?"

      "National governments need the co-operation of the international community in order to accelerate economic and human development. ... The recent financial crisis demonstrates that when political will is combined with concern for the common good we are able to generate, within months, substantial funds for financial markets".

      The archbishop went on: "Renewed attention must be given to ensuring more just and equitable trade systems. ... Trade-distorting subsides, financial speculation, increased energy prices and decreased investment in agriculture have recently given rise to lack of access to the very thing which is necessary for life, namely food. This economic volatility, which strikes at the heart of human existence, gives greater urgency to finding a common commitment to addressing global trade and development".

      The Holy See permanent observer to the U.N. concluded his remarks by noting that "uncertainty and anxiety seem to prevail at this particular point in time. However, the virtues and principles which have led the global community out of so many crises remain; that of solidarity with our global community, just and equitable sharing in resources and opportunity, prudent use of the environment, restraint from seeking short-term financial and social gain at the expense of sustainable development, and finally, the political courage which is necessary to build a world in which human life is placed at the center of all social and economic activities".

      VATICAN CITY, 2 DEC 2008 (VIS) - The Holy Father appointed Msgr. Francesco Di Felice to the College of Apostolic Protonotaries "de numero participantium".

      . IN MEMORIAM

      VATICAN CITY, 2 DEC 2008 ( VIS ) - The following prelates died in recent weeks:

      - Archbishop Manuel Castro Ruiz of Yucatan , Mexico , on 18 November at the age of 90.

      - Bishop Miguel Delgado Avila S.D.B., emeritus of Barcelona , Venezuela , on 18 November at the age of 79.

      - Bishop Bruno Maldaner of Frederico Westphalen , Brazil , on 16 November at the age of 84.

      - Bishop Edoardo Ricci, emeritus of San Miniato , Italy , on 28 November at the age of 80.

      - Bishop Antanas Vaicius of Telsiai , Lithuania , on 25 November at the age of 82.

      . EDITOR'S NOTE

      Beloved :

      Due to extensive traveling by the editor, Roman Catholic News will not be sent this Thursday and Friday. It is uncertain when the earliest opportunity shall come when the news shall continue, but it shall continue. Expect temporary interruptions in receiving the news daily Monday through Friday. It is strongly recommended that you adjust your subscription to receive all messages rather than the daily digest.

      Please be patient and bear with me as I must go about on the mission assigned me to serve at various places. Thank you for your gracious understanding and kindness in this matter. Your subscription to Roman Catholic News is very important to me, and to our Lord and to His beloved Church of which you are an infinitely precious member. Please pray for the success of God's plans for each and everyone.

      In Jesus and Mary,

      John N. Lupia,
      Editor

      Memorial of Saint Francis Xavier, priest

      Reading 1 : Is 25:6-10a
      Gospel : Mt 15:29-37

      Today’s two readings teach us that Christ, the supreme Ruler of the Universe behaves as a Bridegroom who is coming to claim His Bride.

      In the first reading from the Book of Isaiah we see the prophesy for the age to come when God feeds His people with the sublime food beyond anyone’s imagination. That is fulfilled in Jesus Christ who feeds us with His own flesh and blood, to bind us to Himself so that we may cling to Him as one flesh as a husband and wife are one. This celestial Bridegroom marries Himself to us as His dearly beloved.

      When Christ returns at the second coming He will destroy the veil that blinds us. Our world is full of deceit and deception. When the veil is lifted then all peoples will know that only God gives us authentic freedom, and the rights and privileges He has proposed we should possess from the beginning of the world. Nations are morally obligated to defend, support and advocate what is God given. Yet our world is filled with the black veil of darkness that blinds us with the lies so enormous that the average person just cannot fathom, image or believe possible. But Christ is coming to set everything right again.

      When He comes again do not be afraid for He says to us “My heart is moved with pity.” It is mercy He seeks in each one. So be merciful and compassionate to everyone, and God’s holy light shall shine upon you that radiates from His holy face.

      (Print and distribute)