    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 11, 2008

      Pauline Year Edition

      Volume 8, Issue 173
      WEDNESDAY 12 NOVEMBER 2008

      . WORLD OF JUSTICE CANNOT EXIST WITHOUT CHRIST

      . WORLD OF JUSTICE CANNOT EXIST WITHOUT CHRIST

      VATICAN CITY, 12 NOV 2008 (VIS) - In his general audience, held this morning in St. Peter's Square, the Pope turned his attention to St. Paul's eschatological teaching.

      In his First Letter to the Thessalonians, said the Holy Father, " St. Paul speaks of the return of Jesus, an event known as the 'parusia' or advent". The saint describes this vividly "using symbolic images that nonetheless transmit a simple and profound message: 'In the end we will be with the Lord forever'. ... Our future is 'to be with the Lord'".

      Benedict XVI pointed out how in his Second Letter to the Thessalonians, the Apostle "changes perspective and speaks of the negative events that will precede the end. We must not allow ourselves to be deceived, he says, as if the Day of the Lord were truly imminent by some chronological calculation. ... The continuation of the Pauline text makes it clear that the coming of the Lord will be preceded by apostasy and by the appearance of a person identified only as 'the lawless one', the 'one destined for destruction', whom tradition came to identify as the Antichrist".

      The Pope examined the fundamental attitudes a Christian must adopt in the face of the ultimate realities of death and the end of the world: "The first attitude", he said, "must be the certainty that Jesus rose and that, with the Father, He remains with us forever. ... Secondly, the certainty that Christ is with me; and since the future world has already begun in Christ, this gives us the certainty of hope. The future is not an area of darkness in which no-one can find their way. ... Without Christ, the future is dark even today. ... Christians know that the light of Christ is stronger and hence they experience a hope that is not vain, a hope that gives certainty and courage to face the future".

      The third attitude, the Pope went on, "is responsibility before Christ for the world and for our fellow man and, at the same time, the certainty of His mercy. ... We have to work to ensure this world opens to Christ, that it is renewed. ...We know that God is the true Judge, we are sure He is good, we know His face, the face of the risen Christ. ... For this reason we can be sure of His goodness and live our lives courageously".

      At the end of his First Letter to the Corinthians, St. Paul "repeats a prayer of the early Christian communities of Palestine , putting it into the mouths of the Corinthians themselves: 'Marana tha! Our Lord, come!' ... which is also how the Book of the Apocalypse ends. ... Can we pray like this today? In our lives, in our world, it is difficult to pray sincerely for this world to perish, for the coming of the New Jerusalem, the Final Judgment, Christ the Judge. ... Nonetheless, like the first Christian community we can say: Come Jesus! Of course we do not want the end of the world to come now. On the other hand, we do want the world of injustice to end, we do want the world to change, the civilization of love to begin, a world of justice and peace to come, a world without violence and hunger. ... But without the presence of Christ a truly just and renewed world will never come".

      "We can and must cry out urgently in the circumstances of our own time: Come, Lord! Come in Your way, in the ways that You know. Come where there is injustice and violence. Come into the refuge camps of Darfur and North Kivu , in so many parts of the world. Come where drugs dominate. Come also among the rich who have forgotten You and who live for themselves alone. Come where You are known. Come in Your way and renew today's world. Come also into our hearts ... that we too may become light of God, Your presence".

      VATICAN CITY, 12 NOV 2008 ( VIS ) - The Holy Father:

      - Appointed Fr. Jose Moreira da Silva of the clergy of the diocese of Porto Nacional, Brazil, pastor of the parish of "Nossa Senhora de Abadia" in Taguatinga, as bishop of Januaria (area 38,187, population 300,000, Catholics 270,000, priests 18, permanent deacons 2, religious 40), Brazil. The bishop-elect was born in Ponte Alta , Brazil in 1953 and ordained a priest in 1982. He succeeds Bishop Anselmo Muller M.S.F., whose resignation from the pastoral care of the same diocese the Holy Father accepted, upon having reached the age limit.

      - Appointed Fr. Neri Jose Tondello of the clergy of the diocese of Caxias do Sul, Brazil, "fidei donum" priest in the diocese of Juina and rector of the major seminary of Cuiaba, as bishop of Juina (area 129,078, population 140,800, Catholics 127,963, priests 17, religious 48), Brazil. The bishop-elect was born in Antonio Prado, Brazil in 1964 and ordained a priest in 1993.

      Memorial of Saint Frances Xavier Cabrini, virgin

      Reading 1 : Phmn 7-20
      Gospel : Lk 17:20-25

      "For behold, the Kingdom of God is among you.”

      These words of Jesus express the light of truth that the the Kingdom of God is among us in the Catholic Church He founded in His very person.

      Christ is living in all His members that make up the Catholic Church. He lives and reigns in our minds, hearts and will.

      When we obey Christ in everything He teaches we say Yes to Him as our supreme authority to do His will.

      This very idea is expressed in St. Paul's letter to Philemon, bishop of Colossae.

      St. Paul wrote to him when he was imprisoned at Rome, but allowed to live in his home there rather than in a prison cell. While he was there under house arrest a slave named Onesimus went to him and stayed there for some time. Onesimus was the slave owned by Philemon who, apparently wished to discipline him for his absence fleeing to visit St. Paul seeking sanctuary with him. St. Paul cultivated Onesimus into a devout soul, so much that he wished to keep him with him but preferred to send him home to his master Philemon. Just as a slave must be obedient to the authority of his master so too must a bishop be obedient to the authority of his pope. It is a historical hidden fact that St. Paul was the successor of St. Peter, clouded by the ages buried beneath myths and legends. St. Paul tells Philemon "I have the full right in Christ to order you to do what is proper" since by his papal authority a bishop must show obedience to his ecclesiastical superior. But, St. Paul was not wishing Philemon to be obedient because of his authority and hierarchic law of the Church already clearly established during the first century, but rather, to show mercy, kindness, leniency and compassion from his heart.

      In the same way we too must be obedient to Christ, not so much from His authority as King, Lord, and supreme ruler of the Cosmos, but because we do so out of devotion, love and obedience of the heart.

      When human society is ruled by bonds of love then Christ is present. There is no justice, there is no law, there is no order, if Christ is absent, but Ersatz social order run by petty tyrants seeking their own power and control. In the corrupt global society of our current situation we hear the petty tyrants use the phrase that they must win the minds and hearts of the people. This is something to which they have no right or authority since this is the domain of God, and God alone. Unlike the social order of the world the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church is run by Christ and His disciples obedient to Him in everything to bring about the final conclusion of Christ's mission on earth.

      In order for this mission to be an authentic success and a glorious triumph of the Cross of Christ every human mind and heart must be won to the law of love flowing from the Sacred Heart of Jesus.

      Begin with yourselves, obedient to the Catholic Church in everything she believes and teaches. Humble obedience to Christ from the heart allows you to become empowered as heirs of the kingdom sharing in the authority of Christ to do good and effectuate positive change in your home, town, city, state and everywhere people of good will live throughout the world.

      "For behold, the Kingdom of God is within you.” Allow Christ to live and reign in all your thoughts, words and deeds. Let the hallmark of your actions always be love, the authentic love of Christ in all that you do.

      (Print and distribute)