    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 3, 2008
      Roman Catholic News

      Pauline Year Edition

      Volume 8, Issue 168
      TUESDAY 4 NOVEMBER 2008

      . FIRST SEMINAR OF THE CATHOLIC-MUSLIM FORUM
      . DIPLOMATIC RELATIONS HOLY SEE - BOTSWANA
      . ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION: REVIEW LIFESTYLE, CONSUMPTION

      . FIRST SEMINAR OF THE CATHOLIC-MUSLIM FORUM

      VATICAN CITY, 4 NOV 2008 (VIS) - The First Seminar organized by the Catholic-Muslim Forum will begin this morning in the Vatican . The Forum was established by the Pontifical Council for Inter-religious Dialogue and by Muslim representatives in the wake of the Open Letter sent on 13 October 2007 to His Holiness Benedict XVI and to other heads of Churches and ecclesial Communities by 138 Muslim leaders, and of the reply, sent by the Cardinal Secretary of State in the Holy Father's name on 19 November 2007.

      According to a communique released by the Holy See Press Office, the theme of the Seminar - "Love of God, Love of Neighbor" - will be tackled from two main standpoints: "theological and spiritual fundamentals" and "the dignity of the human person and mutual respect". The Catholic and Muslim sides will both deliver reports on each of these sub-themes, and their statements will then be the basis for the subsequent debates. Each of the two sides in the meeting will be composed of 29 people, including experts, religious authorities and advisers.

      On the third day the participants in the Seminar are scheduled to be received in audience by the Holy Father. At 4.30 p.m. that afternoon a public session will be held in the Pontifical Gregorian University for the presentation of the Joint Declaration approved during the course of meeting. A Muslim and a Catholic representative will be present to answer any questions concerning the Seminar.

      . DIPLOMATIC RELATIONS HOLY SEE - BOTSWANA

      VATICAN CITY, 4 NOV 2008 (VIS) - The Holy See and the Republic of Botswana, "being desirous of promoting bonds of mutual friendship and of strengthening international co-operation", have decided by common accord to establish diplomatic relations at the level of apostolic nunciature on the part of the Holy See and at the ambassadorial level on the part of the Republic of Botswana, conforming to the rules fixed by the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations of 18 April 1961.

      A communique made public today announces that on 4 November, at the headquarters of the pontifical representation in Pretoria, South Africa, "notes verbale" will be exchanged and a communique signed for the establishment of diplomatic relations between the Holy See and the Republic of Botswana.

      Botswana is a presidential republic, part of the Commonwealth, and independent since 30 September 1966. The current president is Seretse Khama Ian Khama, who has been in office since 1 April 2008. The country has a surface area of 581,730 square kilometres and a population of 1,586,000. The Kalahari Desert covers some 70 percent of the land, while in the north-west is the Okavango Delta, the world's largest inland delta.

      The Catholic Church in Botswana is very young and small in numerical terms. Only five percent of the population are Catholic. The first missionaries reached what was then the Bechuanaland Protectorate in 1850 but only in 1928 did the Oblates of Mary Immaculate manage to found a mission and a primary school. A mission was opened in Lobate in 1930, and another in Ramotwsa in 1935. The Irish Passionist Fathers arrived after World War II. There are currently 84,000 Catholics divided between two ecclesiastical circumscriptions: the diocese of Gaborone and the apostolic vicariate of Francistown . There are 27 diocesan priests, 38 parishes, 40 regular priests, 4 unordained male religious, 77 female religious and around 300 catechists.

      Relations between Church and State are good. During the work of the assembly of the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization, held in Rome in October 2005, the then president of Botswana , Festus Mogae, told Cardinal Angelo Sodano, then secretary of State, of his desire to establish regular diplomatic relations with the Holy See. Thus began the process which is coming to a conclusion today.

      . ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION: REVIEW LIFESTYLE, CONSUMPTION

      VATICAN CITY, 4 NOV 2008 (VIS) - On 28 October Archbishop Celestino Migliore, permanent observer of the Holy See to the United Nations in New York, participated in the second committee of the 63rd session of the U.N. General Assembly, which is examining the theme: "Protection of global climate for present and future generations of mankind".

      Speaking English, the archbishop affirmed that "not only is there no opposition between the human being and the environment, but there is an established and inseparable alliance, in which the environment essentially conditions the human being's existence and development, while the latter perfects and ennobles the environment by his creative activity".

      "The responsibility to protect the climate requires us to further deepen the interactions between food security and climate change, focusing on the centrality of the human person, in particular on the most vulnerable populations, often located in rural areas of developing countries".

      Moreover, "the responsibility to protect the climate should be based on the alliance between the principles of subsidiarity and global solidarity. In a world as interconnected as today, we are witnessing the rapid expansion of a series of challenges in many areas of human life, from food crisis to financial turmoil".

      The permanent observer went on to indicate that "it should be borne in mind that the environmental question cannot be considered separately from other issues, like energy and economy, peace and justice, national interests and international solidarity".

      "Today's society cannot respond adequately to the duty connected with the responsibility to protect the environment if it does not seriously review its lifestyle, its patterns of consumption and production. There is, therefore, an urgent need to educate in ecological responsibility, based on the fact that many ethical values, fundamental for developing a peaceful society, have a direct relationship to the environmental question".

      VATICAN CITY, 4 NOV 2008 ( VIS ) - The Holy Father appointed:

      - Bishop Carlos Suarez Cazares, emeritus of Zamora , Mexico , as auxiliary of the archdiocese of Morelia (area 18,000, population 2,630,000, Catholics 2,498,500, priests 510, religious 1,295), Mexico .

      - Fr. Pedro Ossandon Buljevic of the clergy of the archdiocese of Santiago de Chile, Chile, episcopal vicar for the "Zona Norte", as auxiliary of the archdiocese of Concepcion (area 11,330, population 1,189,000, Catholics 619,000, priests 127, permanent deacons 29, religious 291), Chile. The bishop-elect was born in Santiago de Chile in 1957 and ordained a priest in 1986.

      Wednesday of the Thirty-first Week in Ordinary Time

      Reading 1 : Phil 2:12-18
      Gospel : Lk 14:25-33

      Today’s two readings teach us the correct attitude an authentic disciple of Christ must have.

      St. Paul tells us to “work out your salvation with fear and trembling.” He certainly does not mean that we should be afraid. Rather, he is telling us to be conscious of what we say and do and mindful of those things we are lax about and tend to fail to do and neglect. It is easy to get caught up in everyday activities. The demands of life can sometimes be overwhelming. But, if we live and work in a spirit of faith reflecting on our thoughts, words, and deeds, keeping Christ ever mindful, offering our day to Him we keep our focus. It is a great temptation to focus on the many things that come into our day and fail to remember who it is we truly serve. St. Paul is gently reminding us to keep alert, keep focused and be careful and ever vigilant.

      St. Paul also tells us to : “Do everything without grumbling or questioning”. To not grumble means we do not complain and act discontented. This is perhaps the most common mistake we all make in our daily lives. So, St. Paul prefaces this with our need to “work out your salvation with fear and trembling.” Keeping vigilant about all the good graces from God prevents us from being filled with grumbling. It is a common complaint among many that they have less than others. This leads to jealousy and envy. Being content with what you are given in life to work out your salvation is an important first step to work in a more relaxed and contented mentality. This does not mean that we should not improve our condition if such opportunity presents itself and it is granted by God’s good grace. But, if we should fail to be successful at what is not necessary, then the loss is not important. What is important is our relationship with God, growing ever more intimate, and being more agreeable with our neighbor. Again, it is keeping the correct focus and course in life that allows us to live unencumbered by the cares of the world, and instead being content with the cares of being a good and devout Catholic.

      St. Paul also warns us not to be always questioning our faith. It is a sign of weak and timid faith that challenges everything and believes nothing or only those things they find they can accept. The teachings of the Catholic Church are not a menu from which you can select your favorite beliefs and reject those you find unpleasant or incorrect. The teaching of the Catholic Church is authentically Orthodox, since Orthodox means Correct. We believe everything the Catholic Church teaches because it is all ultimately revealed to us by Jesus Christ, who can neither deceive nor be deceived. Our faith is firm and confident living with the joy and hope that comes from Christ Himself. As St. Paul says : “In the same way you also should rejoice and share your joy with me.” What a treasure it is to share the same joy with St. Paul who is our Apostolic Father in heaven living and reigning with Christ. So, be of good cheer and rejoice with St. Paul that we share the same faith in Christ who is the Savior of the world.

      In today’s Gospel Jesus addresses the very same issues as St. Paul has done in his letter to the Philippians. Our Lord is teaching us to put Him above everything, above our parents, our own possessions, and even our own lives. He counsels us that it is only by placing Him above all things and all others that we can truly carry our own cross for His sake and find our salvation.

      Reflect on how you have made Christ the center of your whole life. Pray for the light, wisdom, courage and the strength to make Christ the center of your entire life and rejoice with the friendship of the saints and angels who will surely assist us to keep on the straight and narrow path through this life and into heaven in the next.

      (Print and distribute)

      <>< ~~~ <>< ~~~ <>< ~~~ <>< ~~~ <>< ~~~ ><> ~~~ ><> ~~~ ><>~~~ ><>
      Joseph Ratzinger, Introduction to Christianity (New York : Herder and
      Herder, 1970)

      PART TWO : JESUS CHRIST

      Chapter I : "I BELIEVE IN JESUS CHRIST, HIS ONLY BEGOTTEN-SON, OUR
      LORD"(141-204)

      This chapter is divided into four parts followed by one subdivision
      having seven sections.

      III : JESUS CHRIST : TRUE GOD AND TRUE MAN (155-170)

      This third part of Chapter 1 has three sections, and two subsections.

      3. THE CLAIM OF CHRISTOLOGICAL DOGMA (159-170)

      This section has two subsections : (a) pages 159-160; (b) 160-170.

      (a) The question of the “divine man”
      Fr. Ratzinger points out that the concept of the God-man never appears in the New Testament and the “divine man” as the “Son of God” never appears in antiquity. These two concepts : the God-man and the “divine man” as the “Son of God” are separate and distinct one from the other.

      (b) Biblical terminology and its relation to dogma
      Fr. Ratzinger points out that the biblical terminology of the “Son of God” and “the Son” are two distinct terms.
      (i) “Son of God” has a term has its origin in the oriental rite of kings. It was used in Israel as part of the coronation of the king and reflected in the words of Psalm 2:7 “I will tell you of the decree of the Lord : He said to me, ‘You are my son, today I have begotten you. Ask of me, and I will make the nations your heritage, and the ends of the earth your possession.’ So, we see in ancient Israel that the king was declared the begotten son of God, “though the full scope of the notion of begetting seems to have been retained only in Egypt.” (page 161). There the Pharaoh or king was declared in the myth of being begotten by God, “while in Babylon the same ritual was largely demythologized and the idea that the king was the son of God was already conceived as the conferment of a legal sanction.” (ibid.) The David sense of being begotten by God was never understood in the physical sense but in divine election of having been chosen by God. In this sense the whole of Israel shared in this divine election as God’s chosen people. We find this concept clearly expressed in Exodus 4:22 when Israel as a nation is called YHWH’s first-born.
      Fr. Ratzinger points out that this royal kingship as the son of God being given dominion over the whole world became conflicted in light of the opposing rulers that continually subjugated them. Consequently, the Lordship of the king of Israel became a hope that one day the throne should be set up to reign above all kings and dominions throughout the world. From this evolution of hope came the belief that one day would come that king who would be given the power by God to be the supreme ruler of the earth. It is, therefore, this very belief that was transferred onto Christ at His resurrection that the Church taught that He is the awaited ruler of the world who now reigns supreme. “it is of him, the complete failure, who no longer has an inch of ground under his feet as he hangs from the cross, for whose garments lots are drawn and who himself seems to be abandoned by God, that the oracle speaks. . . “ (page 163)