    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2008

      Pauline Year Edition

      Volume 8, Issue 144
      WEDNESDAY 1 OCTOBER 2008

      . ACT ALWAYS ACCORDING TO THE TRUTH OF THE GOSPEL
      . BENEDICT XVI'S PRAYER INTENTIONS FOR OCTOBER

      . ACT ALWAYS ACCORDING TO THE TRUTH OF THE GOSPEL

      VATICAN CITY, 1 OCT 2008 (VIS) - In his general audience, held this morning in St. Peter's Square in the presence of 20,000 people, the Pope continued his series of catecheses on St. Paul.

      The Holy Father concentrated his attention on two episodes described in the Letter to the Galatians, episodes "that show the veneration and, at the same time, the freedom with which Paul treated Peter and the other Apostles: the Council of Jerusalem, and the incident at Antioch in Syria ".

      "Each Council and Synod of the Church is 'an event of the Spirit'", the Pope explained. "The Spirit, Who works in the entire Church, led the Apostles by the hand down new roads to achieve His plans. He is the main architect of the edification of the Church".

      The Pope recalled how the Council of Jerusalem was called to determine "whether it was necessary to impose circumcision on the pagans who were following Jesus Christ the Lord, or if they could legally be freed from the restraints of Mosaic Law, in other words from the observation of norms established to make a men just, ... especially those relating to ritual purity, clean and unclean foods, and norms concerning the Sabbath".

      "If", he went on, "for Luke the Council of Jerusalem expressed the action of the Spirit, for Paul it represented the decisive recognition of the freedom that all the participants shared: freedom from the obligations arising from circumcision and from the Law".

      "Nonetheless", the Holy Father continued, "Christian liberty is never to be identified with libertinism or with the freedom to do as one pleases; it is enacted in conformity with Christ and, hence, in true service to our bothers and sisters, especially those most in need".

      In this context he mentioned the collection organized by St. Paul for the poor of Jerusalem , explaining how it "was an expression of his communities' debt towards the Mother Church of Palestine, from which they had received the priceless gift of the Gospel".

      The incident between Peter and Paul in Antioch was caused by Peter's decision to abstain from eating with the Gentiles "so as not to scandalize those who continued to observe the laws of food purity", said the Pope.

      "In reality the concerns troubling Paul on the one hand, and Peter and Barnabas on the other, were different", he explained. For Peter and Barnabas "the separation from pagans was a way to protect and to avoid scandalizing believers from Jewish backgrounds, while for Paul it risked causing a misunderstanding of the universal salvation in Christ offered to both pagans and Jews".

      Benedict XVI pointed out the fact that around the mid 50s Paul himself "had to face a similar situation, and he called on the strong not to eat unclean food so as not to alienate or scandalize the weak. ... The incident of Antioch , then, was a lesson both for Peter and for Paul. Only sincere dialogue, open to the truth of the Gospel, could guide the path of the Church".

      "This is a lesson we too must learn", he concluded. "With the different charisms entrusted to Peter and to Paul, let us all allow ourselves to be guided by the Spirit, seeking to live in the freedom that has its guide in our faith in Christ and its concrete form in service to others. It is vital to conform ourselves ever more closely to Christ. In this way we truly become free and find within ourselves the real center and profound essence of the Law: love of God and of neighbor".

      . BENEDICT XVI'S PRAYER INTENTIONS FOR OCTOBER

      VATICAN CITY, 1 OCT 2008 (VIS) - Pope Benedict XVI's general prayer intention for October is: "That the Synod of Bishops may help the pastors and theologians, the catechists and promoters who are engaged in the service of the Word of God to courageously transmit the truth of faith in communion with the entire Church".

      His mission intention is: "That in this month dedicated to the missions, through the promotional activities of the Pontifical Missionary Works and other organisms, every Christian community may feel the need to participate in the Church's universal mission with prayer, sacrifice and concrete help".

      Memorial of the Guardian Angels

      Reading 1 : Jb 19:21-27
      Gospel : Mt 18:1-5, 10

      In today’s reading from the Book of Job we hear him profess his faith in God his Redeemer and believed he would see Him.
      “I know that my Vindicator lives, and that he will at last stand forth upon the dust;
      Whom I myself shall see: my own eyes, not another’s, shall behold him,
      And from my flesh I shall see God; my inmost being is consumed with longing.”

      Job’s faith is pure and childlike. As a child believes without hesitation or doubt so did Job. He had this childlike faith even though his life was tossed into turmoil. He had been severely tested by trials and hardships, sickness, disease, pain and loss of his family. He was a wealthy man who found himself, his estate, his family, and all he had fall into ruin. He lay in ashes morning his losses with his body covered in sores and boils. Yet, his faith remained steadfast giving him this purity of an innocent child.

      In today’s Gospel our Lord addresses His Apostles and you and me about our need to become as innocent pure children.
      “Amen, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will not enter the Kingdom of heaven.
      Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the Kingdom of heaven.
      And whoever receives one child such as this in my name receives me.

      Job is our model of the unflinching believer who remains like the rock against the crashing waves, steadfast, immovable and unshakeable. Trials and tribulations are the things in life that can purge us to become like Job and the innocent children if we accept our sufferings and unite them with Christ crucified.
      Difficult as this may sound we have help. God provides His sanctifying grace to open up our minds and hearts filling us with every good thing. He also has provided each and everyone of us with a special divine patron, guardian and guide, our guardian angels.

      In today’s world of scientific thinking, material culture and its lures towards selfishness the very notion of guardian angels brings a cynical or skeptical grin or chuckle to most people today. However, it may surprise many people that a majority in the world today do believe in angels. From a psychological perspective one might say it is the inner child within us that brings us to believe in angels. So, become like a child and believe that God in His supreme and sheer goodness has provided each and everyone of us with our own guardian angel.

      “See that you do not despise one of these little ones,
      for I say to you that their angels in heaven
      always look upon the face of my heavenly Father.”

      (Print and distribute)

      <http://www.usccb.org/catechism/text/entiretoc1.htm>