    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 29, 2008

      Pauline Year Edition

      Volume 8, Issue 143
      TUESDAY 30 SEPTEMBER 2008

      . THEME FOR WORLD DAY OF SOCIAL COMMUNICATIONS
      . PROTECTION MUST NOT BE A PRETEXT FOR AGGRESSION

      . THEME FOR WORLD DAY OF SOCIAL COMMUNICATIONS

      VATICAN CITY, 30 SEP 2008 ( VIS ) - "New Technologies, New Relationships. Promoting a Culture of Respect, Dialogue and Friendship" is the theme chosen by the Pope for his Message for the 43rd World Day of Social Communications, due to be published on 24 January 2009, Feast of St. Francis of Sales, patron of journalists.

      The announcement was made yesterday 29 September, Feast of the Archangels Michael, Raphael and Gabriel, by Archbishop Claudio Maria Celli, president of the Pontifical Council for Social Communications.

      In Archbishop Celli's words, with his message for the Day of Social Communications the Holy Father "is presenting us with a true work plan, ... a compendium of commitments and responsibilities that ... those involved in the field of communications are personally called to shoulder, at a time so deeply marked by the development of new media technologies which, in effect, are creating a new environment, a new culture.

      "It is clear that the Pope has a certain confidence in the possibilities the communications media can offer; the media can be of great help in favoring a climate of dialogue and trust".

      The president of the pontifical council went on to point out that "highlighting the fact that new technologies must be accompanied by new relationships represents a profound appraisal of the interaction upon which communication exists and develops. The modernization of instruments does not simply mean a step forwards in technical terms, but creates new conditions and possibilities for mankind to use and apply this resource for the common good, placing it at the foundation of a widespread cultural growth".

      Archbishop Celli also announced that in March 2009 bishops with responsibility for communication are due to attend a seminar organized in collaboration with experts in media and communication "in order to devise a more precise and up-to-date form of pastoral care for the social communications media".

      The World Day of Social Communications will be celebrated in almost all countries on Sunday 31 May 2009.

      . PROTECTION MUST NOT BE A PRETEXT FOR AGGRESSION

      VATICAN CITY, 30 SEP 2008 (VIS) - Archbishop Celestino Migliore, Holy See permanent observer at the United Nations in New York, yesterday participated in the general debate of the 63rd session of the U.N. General Assembly.

      "By its nature and structure, the United Nations normally creates neither the events nor the trends, but rather, serves as a sounding board where events and trends are submitted for debate and a coherent, consensual and timely response", said the archbishop in his English-language remarks.

      "This year has been dominated by a number of challenges and crises: natural and man-made calamities, staggering economies, financial turmoil and fuel prices, the impact of climate change, local wars and tensions. ... One of the clear facts recognized by all is that every crisis presents a mixture of natural factors and elements of human responsibility. However, these are all too often compounded by tardy response, failures or reluctance of leaders to exercise their responsibility to protect their populations.

      "When speaking within these walls of the responsibility to protect", the prelate added, "the common understanding of the term is found in the 2005 Outcome Document, which refers to the responsibility of the international community to intervene in situations where individual governments are not able or willing to assure the protection of their own citizens.

      "In the past, the language of 'protection' was too often a pretext for expansion and aggression. In spite of the many advancements in international law, this same understanding and practice tragically continues today.

      "However, during the past year", the archbishop continued, "there has been growing consensus and greater inclusion of this expression as a vital component of responsible leadership. The responsibility to protect has been invoked by some as an essential aspect of the exercise of sovereignty at the national and international levels, while others have re-launched the concept of the exercise of responsible sovereignty".

      "The 'we the peoples' who formed the United Nations conceived the responsibility to protect to serve as the core basis for the United Nations", the archbishop concluded. "The founding leaders believed that the responsibility to protect would consist not primarily in the use of force to restore peace and human rights, but above all, in States coming together to detect and denounce the early symptoms of every kind of crises and mobilize the attention of governments, civil society and public opinion to find the causes and offer solutions".

      Saint Thérèse of the Child Jesus, virgin and doctor of the Church

      Reading 1 : Jb 9:1-12, 14-16
      Gospel : Lk 9:57-62

      Today’s reading from the Book of Job is filled with expressions of the supremacy of God. Job describes God as Almighty and unsearchable, transcendent beyond our human understanding. One of the verses describes God as the One who “treads upon the crests of the sea.” We see this personified in Jesus Christ, who walked on the Sea of Galilee in the Gospel accounts. Certainly, this was evidence to the Church that Jesus Christ is the One and same God of the ancient Jews and spoken of throughout the Old Testament.

      Today’s reading from the Gospel of St. Luke gives us some insight into God’s relationship with human persons. Three different people approach Jesus asking to follow Him.

      The first says, “I will follow you wherever you go.” But God sees the hidden heart and knew this person really did not mean what he said. Jesus knew this person was accustomed to living well, comfortably, and lived a cozy and cushiony life. So, he says : “Foxes have dens and birds of the sky have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to rest his head.” Jesus knows that only sincere people willing to suffer inconveniences and hardships are those truly able to follow him across the rugged landscape of Judea and Galilee without all the creature comforts of home. This is true for you and me. Following Jesus as His disciples does not mean we will always have it easy. Being His disciples we must accept whatever conditions God’s divine providence brings into our lives. Many are unwilling to accept life and their circumstances and seek false gods to give them the comfort they want. Some take to alcohol, others drugs, others gamble their money hoping to get what they want. There is no such thing as the pagan notion of luck since that idea goes contrary to the Catholic teaching of divine providence. So, lucky numbers, fortune tellers, palm readers, and anything that brings you to taking risks with your money, health and welfare are abuses that insult God who gives you what you need and leads you onto those paths that bring you the material goods He knows you need. Others still, seek the pleasures of this life through material wealth and prosperity or sex or some other folly they think will make them happy. Yet, Jesus is telling us that if we truly wish to follow Him we must not first seek ourselves, but rather, seek Him. This seeking of God is a lifelong journey. During this pilgrimage of life we cannot escape hardship and suffering. But, if we travel with Christ we have everything we need. What is greater, a consolation through materiality of earthly pleasures, or the comfort that only God can give? Christ wants us to learn how to differentiate between the two. He is a jealous God who wants no false gods before Him. We must learn that our only authentic solace in life is from Jesus Christ.

      The second person that approached Jesus says, “Lord, let me go first and bury my father.” But he answered him, “Let the dead bury their dead. But you, go and proclaim the Kingdom of God.” This might have seemed harsh or cruel to ignore your dead father, but God wants us to seek Him first. Our emotions, our loyalties to other people are attachments we acquire in life. Emotionally healthy people have good relationships with their parents and others. But, Jesus is asking us to care more about Him forsaking all others in our life’s journey with Him. We cannot allow our sense of obligation to others to keep us from our duty to God and devotion to Him, which should far exceed that you feel to anyone else including family members. Certainly, we are expected to stay home and be a caregiver to a loved one sick needing our help. This too is serving God. If your spouse or child is bedridden then staying home to help then is your duty. In these cases a parish priest or Eucharistic minister can come to your home and give Holy Communion. But, if a family member keeps you from God then pray for them. There are some who do not go to Church on Sunday because of a spouse who is not willing to go to Mass. Others are kept from following Christ in an unsanctified union living in common with no marriage. If the person you are with cares more for their personal assets than you then get out of that relationship. If that person rejects marriage they also reject Christ who is the foundation stone of every marriage. If we accept the demands of others before we accept the demands of God we have chosen poorly. Jesus is teaching us to learn how to distinguish our sense of duty in our hearts. God is a jealous God who wants no false gods before Him. Put Christ first and everything and everyone else will follow.

      The third person says, “I will follow you, Lord, but first let me say farewell to my family at home.” Jesus answered him, “No one who sets a hand to the plow and looks to what was left behind is fit for the Kingdom of God.” Jesus expects all of us to follow Him focused on Him, not the world around us. It is tempting to go off the straight and narrow path to stop and visit our former lives and the way we were. Jesus wants us to forget about the past and start anew and afresh with Him. And, if we do not or simply cannot then we are not “fit for the Kingdom of God.” Old habits and old ways must be abandoned making room only for God and developing the grace within us to accomplish those things He wants us to. We must keep our focus on Christ as the center of our lives and follow Him.

      The three people who approached Jesus asking to follow Him are the three types of people in the world who like the seed falling on rock or among the weeds or those eaten by the birds have obstacles within them that can lead to their own destruction. But, Jesus Christ gives us the grace and power to overcome all obstacles. Approach Jesus with a humble heart asking Him for the grace to remain constant and to seek only Him.

      (Print and distribute)

      <http://www.usccb.org/catechism/text/entiretoc1.htm>