    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 9, 2008
      Roman Catholic News

      Pauline Year Edition

      Volume 8, Issue 132
      WEDNESDAY 10 SEPTEMBER 2008

      . APOSTLES: COLLABORATORS IN TRUE JOY
      . POPE EXPRESSES APPRECIATION FOR FRENCH CULTURE AND FAITH
      . BENEDICT XVI RECALLS CARDINAL INNOCENTI
      . PAULINE YEAR REFLECTIONS

      . APOSTLES: COLLABORATORS IN TRUE JOY

      VATICAN CITY, 10 SEP 2008 (VIS) - At his general audience this morning, celebrated in the Paul VI Hall, the Pope dedicated his catechesis to St. Paul's view of the meaning of apostolate.

      The Pauline concept of apostleship went "beyond that of the group of Twelve" explained the Holy Father. "It was characterized by three elements: the first was the fact of having seen the Lord, in other words of having encountered Him in a way that marked his life. ... Definitively then, it is the Lord Who confers the apostolate, not individual presumption. Apostles do not make themselves but are created so by the Lord".

      The second characteristic is that of "having been sent. In fact, the Greek term 'apostolos' means envoy, ... the representative of a principal. ... Once again the idea emerges of an initiative arising from someone else, from God in Jesus Christ, to Whom one is duty-bound", of "a mission to be accomplished in His name, putting all personal interests aside".

      "Announcing the Gospel and the consequent founding of Churches" is the third requisite. "The tile of apostle", said Pope Benedict, "is not and cannot be a merely honorary title. It truly, even dramatically, involves the entire existence of the person concerned".

      St. Paul also defined apostles as "servants of God, Whose grace acts in them", said the Pope. "A typical element of the true apostle ... is a form of identification between the Gospel and the evangeliser, both share the same destiny. Indeed no-one so much as Paul highlighted how announcing the cross of Christ is a 'stumbling block and foolishness' to which many react with misunderstanding and refusal. That happened then and it should be no surprise that the same thing happens today".

      "With the stoical philosophy of his time, Paul shared the idea of tenacious perseverance in all the difficulties he had to face; but he went beyond the merely human perspective by recalling ... God's love and Christ's. ... This is the certainty, the profound joy that guided the Apostle though all those events: nothing can separate us from the love of God, and this love is the real treasure of human life".

      "As we may see, St. Paul gave himself to the Gospel with all his life", said the Holy Father in conclusion. "He undertook his ministry with faithfulness and joy that he 'might by all means save some'. And though aware of his own relationship of paternity - even, indeed, of maternity - towards the Churches, his attitude to them was one of complete service, declaring: "I do not mean to imply that we lord it over your faith; rather, we are workers with you for your joy'. This remains the mission of all the apostles of Christ in all times: to be collaborators of true joy".

      . POPE EXPRESSES APPRECIATION FOR FRENCH CULTURE AND FAITH

      VATICAN CITY, 10 SEP 2008 ( VIS ) - Benedict XVI has written a Message to the French for his first pastoral visit to that country, to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the apparitions of the Virgin Lourdes.

      "On the eve of my arrival", writes the Holy Father, "I send cordial greetings to the French people and to all the inhabitants of that beloved nation. I am coming as a messenger of peace and fraternity. I know your country well. On various occasions I have had the pleasure of visiting it and of appreciating its generous tradition of welcome and tolerance, as well as the solidity of its Christian faith and of its exalted human and spiritual culture.

      "On this occasion the reason for my trip is to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the apparitions of the Virgin Mary in Lourdes ", he adds. "After visiting Paris, the capital of your country, it will be my immense joy to join the multitude of pilgrims as they follow the stages of the Jubilee journey, in the footsteps of St. Bernadette, to the grotto of Massabielle. At the feet of Our Lady, I will pray intensely for the intentions of the entire Church, particularly the sick and the needy, as well as for peace in the world".

      "For all of you, and especially for the young, may Mary be a mother ever-ready to meet the needs of her children, a light of hope that illuminates and guides you on your way".

      The Pope concludes by inviting everyone to pray for the success of his journey, and by invoking the maternal protection of the Virgin.

      . BENEDICT XVI RECALLS CARDINAL INNOCENTI

      VATICAN CITY, 10 SEP 2008 (VIS) - Benedict XVI spoke of the life of Cardinal Antonio Innocenti in a homily he pronounced this morning in the Vatican Basilica, at the end of a Eucharistic celebration for the soul of that prelate, who died on 6 September at the age of 93.

      The Mass began at 9 a .m., concelebrated by Cardinal Angelo Sodano, dean of the College of Cardinals, and other member of the college.

      In his homily, the Pope sketched a brief biography of the late cardinal, who was a native of the Italian diocese of Fiesole . He was ordained priest in 1938, after which he taught at the diocesan seminary, "helping the bishop on his pastoral visits during World War II. In that dramatic period he stood out for his selflessness and generosity in helping people and saving those destined for deportation. For this he was arrested and condemned to be shot, but the order was reversed as he stood before of the firing squad".

      The Holy Father then recalled how Cardinal Innocenti entered the diplomatic service of the Holy See, being "appointed as pontifical representative to Paraguay and receiving episcopal ordination in 1968. He was later recalled to Rome to assume the role of secretary of the Congregation for the Sacraments and Divine Worship. Later, in 1980, he was sent as apostolic nuncio to Spain where he twice welcomed my venerated predecessor John Paul II on pastoral visits". John Paul II made him a cardinal in 1985.

      This Italian cardinal, the Pope went on, "continued to provide his valuable services to the Supreme Pontiff, as prefect of the Congregation for the Clergy, president of the Pontifical Commission for the Cultural Patrimony of the Church and of the Pontifical Commission "Ecclesia Dei".

      Referring to Cardinal Innocenti's episcopal motto, "Lucem spero fide", Benedict XVI concluded his homily by expressing the hope that "faith and hope may give way to the greatest of all truths, the charity which will never end".

      VATICAN CITY, 10 SEP 2008 (VIS) - This evening, the Holy Father is due to receive in audience Cardinal William Joseph Levada, prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, accompanied by Archbishop Luis Francisco Ladaria Ferrer S.J., secretary of the same congregation.

      . PAULINE YEAR REFLECTIONS

      We have been given a candid window to the past in St. Luke’s descriptions and narratives written in the Book of Acts of the Apostles. The Church at Thessalonika was very organized with the brothers arranging Saints Paul and Silas’ escape from further woes there. They went to Beroea and into the synagogue as soon as they arrived. Here St. Paul taught the Jews that Jesus is the Messiah. He referenced all of the prophecies about the Messiah showing Jesus is their fulfillment. Many Jews were converted. Also, at Beroea many Greek women of the upper class and a number of the men were also converted.

      It is noteworthy that this is the third time demographics that show wealth of the converts surfaces in reports of St. Paul’s mission. In Acts 16:14 we meet Lydia, a wealthy merchant in the purple dye trade. In Acts 17:4 “a number of rich woman” are listed among the converts. Here we find “Greek women of the upper class and a number of the men” listed among the converts as well. Being a member of the upper class simultaneously places them among the wealthy class. These references to wealthy converts are not empty demographics expressing the socio-economic status of its members. Instead, it is a sort of shorthand that implies the wealthy members made their home a Church site. In these homes were the altars and Sunday liturgy. Here presided the local bishop and his priests at an altar. The Roman Catholic Church owned property and had physical structure beyond that of hierarchic and ecclesiastical jurisdiction. Citing the wealthy class shows the Church had a home, a real physical building and material goods. We have seen much earlier the Church had homes when St. Paul visited St. Peter at his house in Jerusalem. So it appears that from the beginning when Martha and Mary shared their home as well as the directive when our Lord instructed the Apostles on their first mission, to find a home. We can, therefore, say with absolute certainty that the Roman Catholic Church has always had a home used as a Church building extended back to the life of Christ. We can say, further, that there was never a time that the Church did not own property used for liturgical celebrations of the Eucharist. The New Testament writings, as they were written and published became the standard texts read at the liturgies together with readings from the Old Testament. This began when St. Luke first composed his Gospel in AD 37, and it was copied and circulated among all the Churches founded throughout the world ever since.

      The fierce opposition of Jews at Thessalonika heard about St. Paul preaching to the Jews at Beroea and pursued him there. When the brothers at Breoea found out they arranged for St. Paul to escape to Athens, leaving behind Silas and Timothy.

      REFLECTION

      St. Paul wasted no time. As soon as he arrived at Breoea he immediately went about his father’s business, just as our Lord had told Mary and Joseph when he was twelve. His instructions were so well done that numerous converts were made in very quick time. God touched people through him. Those He touched He chose wisely bringing people from all states of life across the economic boundaries. Those with wealth opened their homes as the Church center for liturgies. The Church grew and prospered through the holy efforts of St. Paul who is perpetually on the run from men who would be only too happy to silence him permanently. Yet, St. Paul never complains, grows weary, sighs to himself how exasperated he is, but rather, like a man of steel, a heroic champion and athlete presses on in the fight against the dark forces of spirits and of men to further the Kingdom of God and gain new ground with every breath he took. This indefatigable energy and drive to love and serve Christ Jesus shows us that St. Paul had no other life than prayer and service. He consumed himself for Christ with every waking moment, every deed a good one in service, and prayed continually for those whom he was to convert as well as those converted that they might be close to Christ, loving Him and serving Him in the joy that only those who know Christ can experience. The joy of the Apostle and all Christians is a Christian joy that comes from Christ Himself.

      Thursday of the Twenty-third Week in Ordinary Time

      Reading 1 : 1 Cor 8:1b-7, 11-13

      Gospel : Lk 6:27-38

      We live in a world where each of us must fight and struggle to get what we want. We live in a world where money and power provides the best of the good life. We often hear the saying “knowledge is power”. It is this very worldly culture that today’s two readings challenge and contradict teaching us the correct path towards Christ, and with Christ. We are like St. Peter walking on the Sea of Galilee looking down and seeing the storm and listening to the powerful howling winds we doubt and need Jesus to grab us by the hand and pull us up.

      Saint Paul, in his letter to the Corinthians teaches them that knowledge is not power, and whatever knowledge we think we possess is faulty and limited in some way. There is no need to get puffed up about knowing anything when we realize that whatever we think we know is flawed and imperfect. The only valuable knowledge is of God and of God’s knowledge about you. This message is a far cry from what the world teaches. The aims and goals of the Christian is not knowledge of imperfect things but of what is perfect, namely, God.

      St. Paul also taught the Corinthians not to do what is fashionable, like eating meats that were offered in pagan ceremonies. Not all Christians have the clear understanding that the pagan ceremony was worthless since there is no other God than The Trinity. Scrupulous minds are very delicate, and everyone needs to be sensitive to their neighbor so as not to give scandal or cause someone to sin. St. Paul constantly confronted the culture of the world seeping into the early Church when it took a bad turn in the moral development of the people of God. The New Testament and its authorative interpretation through the Holy See, the Magisterium of the Church continually cries out like a voice in the wilderness to be the guiding light for our lives.

      Our Lord teaches us to love our enemies, in a world where gossip, havoc, revenge, and all sorts of punishments are heaped upon enemies. Jesus taught us to contradict the world. He taught us to wake up out of our sleep shaking off worldly philosophy and wisdom and to accept only Him, Wisdom Incarnate.

      It is sometimes difficult for us to see objectively how worldly philosophy has entered our minds, shaped our attitudes, and colored our way of thinking allowing it full influence over us. People develop biases against one another, group against group, and so on. Jesus is teaching us that none of that is allowed. We are not allowed to be biased against any ethnic or religious group. If we truly wish to experience the authentic joy that only Christ can bring, then we must obey the laws of love and love even our enemies.

      (Print and distribute)

      <http://www.usccb.org/catechism/text/entiretoc1.htm>