Volume 1, No. 2

  • jlupia2
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2002

      THURSDAY, 3 January, 2002

      Today's Lectionary Readings
      http://www.nccbuscc.org/nab/010302.htm

      WEAR THE BROWN SCAPULAR OF OUR LADY OF MOUNT
      CARMEL AND PRAY THE ROSARY DAILY FOR THE
      CONVERSION OF THE WHOLE WORLD AND FOR CHURCH
      UNITY

      • DECLARATION REGARDING AUDIENCE WITH POLISH PRIME
      MINISTER
      • AUDIENCES
      • OTHER PONTIFICAL ACTS
      • Argentine Bishops Make Urgent Plea to Keep Hope
      • Nicaraguan Cardinal Obando, "Forgiveness to Achieve Peace
      is Necessary"
      • Thousands of Chinese Catholics Attend Funeral of Bishop

      DECLARATION REGARDING AUDIENCE WITH POLISH PRIME
      MINISTER

      VATICAN CITY, JAN 3, 2002 (VIS) - At midday today, Holy See
      Press Office Director Joaquin Navarro-Valls released the
      following declaration:

      "This morning, the Holy Father received in audience Leszek
      Miller, prime minister of the Republic of Poland, accompanied by
      his family and an entourage.

      "Later, the prime minister was received by Cardinal Secretary of
      State Angelo Sodano.

      "In the course of the cordial discussions, consideration was
      given to the relationship between the Holy See and Poland in the
      light of that country's great religious tradition.

      "Attention was also given to the problems of European
      integration and of the international situation."

      VATICAN CITY, JAN 3, 2002 (VIS) - The Holy Father today
      received in separate audiences:

      - Leszek Miller, prime minister of the Republic of Poland,
      accompanied by his wife and an entourage. - Cardinal Ignace
      Moussa I Daoud, prefect of the Congregation for Oriental
      Churches. - Cardinal Mario Francesco Pompedda, prefect of the
      Supreme Tribunal of the Apostolic Signature.

      VATICAN CITY, JAN 3, 2002 (VIS) - The Holy Father accepted the
      resignation from the pastoral care of New Orleans, U.S.A.,
      presented by Archbishop Francis B. Schulte, upon having
      reached the age limit. He is succeeded by Archbishop Alfred C.
      Hughes, coadjutor of the same archdiocese.

      * * *

      Argentine Bishops Make Urgent Plea to Keep Hope

      Buenos Aires, 3 (NE - eclesiales.org) the Archbishop of Parana
      and President of the Episcopal Conference Argentina,
      Monsignor Estanislao Karlic, exhorted to the Argentineans in
      general and the political leadership in particular to develop a
      sense of being protagonists " in the construction of a new
      Argentina " and to reject " the temptation of hatred and violence
      that hurts and kills ".

      " The Argentine people are astonished to the events that have
      shown the enormous depth of the moral crisis, that is especially
      pronounced in the economy, and in its policy and all of its
      culture. The false scale of values of individualistic egoism has
      caused the human tragedy that we suffer. The successive
      resignations of the presidents of the Nation, show to the
      extreme, the gravity of the situation and the danger to us of
      anarchy, " indicated the Prelate, in an official archdiocesan
      notice.

      "The bishops are making an urgent call to the responsibility of
      our people and, especially of our political leadership. It is
      necessary to resign our personal interests or that of our party,
      that does not correspond to the dignity of the political vocation.
      Great leaders require of themselves even greater sacrifices. It is
      absolutely necessary that the politicians do not look for, but
      rather, to serve communal property, that is to say, of each and
      every member of the national community, not only at the level of
      justice, but of the social services, that must include a genuine
      solidarity."

      "It is indispensable that all the people develop a sense of being
      protagonists in the construction of a new Argentina, that rejects
      the temptation of hatred and violence, that hurts and kills. " " We
      know that only God saves mankind. Let us pray. Let us pray
      incessantly and with humility. Pray for the children, the infirm, the
      elderly , and pray for all those who suffer... Hope does not
      deceive because it is based on the promise of the gratuitous
      love of God, " indicated the Prelate.

      [Text translated and edited by Roman Catholic News]

      * * *

      Nicaraguan Cardinal Obando, "Forgiveness to Achieve Peace is
      Necessary"

      Managua, 3 (NE - eclesiales.org) Just like every new year's day,
      Miguel Cardinal Obando, Archbishop of Managua, headed the
      New Year procession dedicated to Christ the King through the
      streets of the Nicaraguan capital. After concluding the
      procession, the Cardinal presided over Mass in the Metropolitan
      Cathedral, during which he made a call to work for social Peace
      in the nation. Also, the Archbishop asked the Nicaraguan faithful
      to pray for the new government who will assume the leadership
      of the nation. " We must promote love, brotherhood, confidence,
      and loyalty to the nation. For that reason we are going to pray to
      begin a new year with the new servers of the country, our new
      governors; and pray that God will illuminate them and that they
      will faithfully serve the people who so urgently desire peace. It
      was for that very reason we voted on 4 November, so that there
      shall be peace ", affirmed the Cardinal during his homily.
      Recalling the message of the Holy Father for the World-Wide
      Day of Peace, Cardinal Obando emphasized the necessity of
      pardon and forgiveness to reach a genuine Peace in the nation.

      [Text translated and edited by Roman Catholic News]

      * * *

      Thousands of Chinese Catholics Attend Funeral of Bishop

      Rome, 3 (NE - eclesiales.org) Thousands of Chinese Catholics
      yesterday attended the funeral of Monsignor Matías Pei
      Shangde, the ousted Bishop of Beijing, who was recognized by
      the Holy See but not by the Chinese government. The funeral
      was celebrated in the village of Zhangjiapu, province of Hebei, a
      region near the capital. In the last days, the police prohibited
      nonresidents into the village to participate in the funeral, and
      police troops were controlling all the entrances into the village.
      Even so, direct witnesses affirm that the ceremony was attended
      by more than 3,000 people in the church, and more than 2,000
      outside. Mons. Pei died at the age of 83 in the wake of
      Christmas, under the control of the police, being in house arrest.
      Since then one long row of faithful arrived from diverse parts of
      China to pay tribute to the great pastoral shepherd who attested
      and witnessed throughout his life an exemplary fidelity to the
      Bishop of Rome. He spent several years in forced labor by the
      communist government. The Bishop of Beijing in 1989 was
      secretly consecrated.

      [Text translated and edited by Roman Catholic News]

      * * *

      CHANTED ROSARY ONLINE
      http://www.monksofadoration.org/rosarych.html

      DOWNLOAD FREE SCRIPTURAL ROSARY
      http://www.virtualrosary.org/

      * * *

      DIVINE OFFICE TEXTS & AUDIO ONLINE:

      OFFICE OF READINGS, TEXTS
      http://www.universalis.com/cgi-bin/display/-600/USA/Readings.html

      http://www.monksofadoration.org/audiolit.html

      The Mama Gili Guild was established several years ago to
      gather, collect, and publish information on Dolores Immacolata
      Gili (1892-1985) for an investigation into her cause as a Servant
      of God, as well as to promote her cause and to perpetuate her
      cult by directing prayer groups assembled in her honor. It has
      continuously enjoyed the ecclesiastical approval of Theodore
      Cardinal McCarrick, and the Most Reverend John Joseph Myers,
      Archbishop of Newark, New Jersey.

      Call or write today regarding favors granted through the
      intercession of Dolores Immacolata "Mama" Gili, or, for more
      information about the cause of her investigation for canonization to:

      Volume 1, Issue 14 C

      Volume 1, No. 16

      Volume 1, No. 29

      Volume 1, No. 68

      HOW TO POST A QUESTION TO THE CATHOLIC REFERENCE
      DESK AND HOW TO SUBMIT AN ARTICLE FOR PUBLICATION

      Roman Catholic News is currently ranked 13 of 523 Catholic
      Yahoo groups, and growing steadily on a daily basis. Your
      membership as a subscriber is important to us and helps us
      grow in numbers which prompts us to improve our services.
      Please spread the word that a Catholic clergy run Catholic News
      group and Reference Desk are available that keeps you
      informed on all the activities of Pope John Paul II, the Holy See,
      the Roman Curia, Catholic doctrine, critical world news, biblical
      studies, and its Catholic Reference Desk answers questions
      you post.
      When posting questions please place in the subject field of your
      email "Reference Desk". Emails can be sent to either
      Roman-Catholic-News-owner@yahoogroups.com, or to
      jlupia2@.... Articles written by professional and
      scholarly authors can also be sent to the email addresses
      above for consideration in a future issue. Authors should keep
      in mind that Roman Catholic News is a not-for-profit organization
      and considers publishing articles without paying any monetary
      compensation to authors. All materials submitted and
      published are copyright protected in accordance to the latest
      ruling from the Office of Copyright, Library of Congress,
      Washington, D.C. Your subscription is important to us.
      Welcome to Roman Catholic News. Tell a friend.

      * * *

      EUCHARISTIC PRAYER IN HONOR OF THE SORROWFUL
      HEART OF MARY

      "Eternal Father, through the Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of
      Mary, I offer you the crucified Body of Your dearly beloved Son,
      Jesus Christ, in reparation for all the sins committed against you
      and for the conversion and salvation of the whole world."

      "Eternal Father, through the Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of
      Mary, I offer you the precious Blood of Your dearly beloved Son,
      Jesus Christ, in reparation for all the sins committed against you
      and for the conversion and salvation of the whole world."

      * * *

      PLEASE SUPPORT EWTN

      Send donations to:

      Mother Angelica
      EWTN
      5817 OLD LEEDS ROAD
      IRONDALE, AL 35210

      https://www.ewtn.com/ewtn/ssl/donation/donation_ewtn.asp

      approaches unity among all Christians of the various
      confessions will increase until they reach full communion." John
      Paul II, Tertio Millennio Adveniente, 16

      clinging to her robes while walking down a dusty and busy
      crowded street and you'll always be safe."
      unless specified
      otherwise. All articles from VIS, VID, Zenit , Associated Press
      (AP), Reuters, and Noticias Eclesiales are republished by
      approval and courtesy of these news agencies. We encourage
      our readers to send financial support to Zenit, a private news
      organization in Rome. Zenit (http://www.zenit.org), VIS (V.I.S. -
      Vatican Information Service) Zenit , Associated Press (AP),
      Reuters, (VID) Vidimus Dominum, and Noticias Eclesiales own
      the original copyright for their news releases as credited. All
      copyright materials copied in any form must include the
      appropriate copyright owner; for Roman Catholic News use our
      URL as follows:
      correspondence should be sent to: