    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 21, 2008
      Roman Catholic News

      Pauline Year Edition

      Volume 8, Issue 125
      MONDAY 1 SEPTEMBER 2008

      . BENEDICT XVI'S PRAYER INTENTIONS FOR SEPTEMBER
      . EDITORIAL

      . BENEDICT XVI'S PRAYER INTENTIONS FOR SEPTEMBER

      VATICAN CITY, 1 SEP 2008 ( VIS ) - Pope Benedict XVI's general prayer intention for September is: "That those who, because of wars or oppressive regimes, are forced to leave their homes and country may be supported by Christians in the defence and protection of their rights."

      His mission intention is: "That, faithful to the sacrament of matrimony, every Christian family may cultivate the values of love and communion in order to be a small evangelising community, sensitive and open to the material and spiritual needs of its brothers."

      VATICAN CITY, 1 SEP 2008 (VIS) - The Holy Father today received in separate audiences at the Apostolic Palace in Castelgandolfo:

      - Ingrid Betancourt accompanied by members of her family.

      - Bishop Vincenzo Paglia of Terni-Narni-Ameila , Italy , accompanied by Andrea Riccardi, founder of the Sant'Egidio Community.

      . EDITORIAL

      I hope every one has enjoyed a wonderful summer. Traditionally the Vatican, sort of shuts down in August, the news is not given daily Monday through Friday as typical throughout the year, our beloved Holy Father goes away taking a retreat and spiritual break playing his piano, mediating on nature and sacred writings of saints and he too composes, as he is completing his sequel to his book : Jesus of Nazareth. With the grace of God we shall be reviewing that book here on Roman Catholic News.

      While we were away many new people have subscribed to our newsletter and we are now 1,270 subscribers from more than 50 nations around the world. I wish to welcome all of you on behalf of the Holy Father and in the name of the Catholic Church, that God may bless you abundantly and give you His wisdom, peace, strength and courage to accomplish well all those things He wishes of you in this life so that we may all enjoy His beatitude for ever.

      If each one tells a friend and one new person subscribed we would over night be double in size totaling over 2,500 worldwide. A small group, though we are, we are in many ways like the parable of the mustard seed slowly but surely growing into the largest of trees. But our growth is completely dependent upon you subscribers since we do not advertise or promote our newsletter and the whole enterprise is free and accomplished as a voluntary act of charity as an apostolate to the world on behalf of the Holy Father, Benedict XVI.

      Since there are days that for some unforeseen cause the news might not get out that day those who have subscribed as a Daily Digest will receive a blank report which causes many to unsubscribe. We suggest not to subscribe as a Daily Digest since only individual emails are sent and only one per day. This is not a chat group where many message can be sent daily. So to avoid receiving a Daily Digest on a day that no news was able to be sent and receiving a blank email, it is recommended to only subscribe as individual emails.

      Tomorrow we shall resume our column for the Pauline Year and also our Lectio Divina.

      Thank you all for subscribing to Roman Catholic News. Tell a friend.

      In Jesus and Mary,
      John N. Lupia III
      Editor

      Tuesday of the Twenty-second Week in Ordinary Time

      Reading 1 : 1 Cor 2:10b-16
      GOSPEL : Lk 4:31-37

      Today's Gospel teaches us that Jesus Christ is God, commander of all creation.

      St. Luke introduces the subject by telling us that Jesus went to Capernaum to teach on the Sabbath and all "were astonished at his teaching because he spoke with authority."

      St. Luke introduces the idea that Jesus spoke with power and authority.

      This idea had specific meaning in the first century. Jewish rabbis spoke with power and authority of others. They would cite great teachers, men believed holy and wise who wrote long tracts about the teachings of scripture explaining their meaning and making crystal clear our obligations under the law. Jewish teachers sifted through the scriptures to discover the diamonds hidden within the texts. These diamonds they called Gods commandments. These are revelations hidden within the texts of sacred scripture that reveal God's will, His wishes and desires for us in the form of commandments, and rules, in Hebrew called halakah, each one needed to be identified and explained and instruction given about our duty and obligations as to what we are supposed to do and what we are not allowed to do. Jewish teachers classified these laws into two groups labeling them as either positive or negative commandments. Positive commandments are those that take the form "Thou shall" and the negative "Thou shall not". Through time Jewish rabbis discovered 613 laws hidden in scripture, called mitzvot, the plural form of mitzvah, the Hebrew word for a commandment.

      The Jewish rabbinical writings in the time of Jesus were already accrued into large tracts and discourses. The great Jewish writers at this time, the Hillel, for example, were considered the wisest and strongest authorities on any subject of scripture. In the days of Jesus, the greatest teacher was of this school founded by Hillel and his sons, his name was Gamaliel, and he was the teacher of St. Paul.

      Over time these piles and archives filled with rabbinical writings became codified into the Talmud. There are two great Talmuds, the Babylonian Talmud and the Jerusalem Talmud. The ones we have today are considered by most authorities to be from about the second or third century of our Christian Era. Some of the sources, certainly pre-date the composition by the late antique editors by centuries. To this day many great Jewish rabbis still consult them to gain the wisdom of the ages.

      Now, understanding this backdrop to the Holy Gospel According to St. Luke you might better understand what the Apostle is trying to teach us specifically about Jesus.

      Jesus went to Capernaum to teach on the Sabbath and all "were astonished at his teaching because he spoke with authority."

      St. Luke is telling us that Jesus did not teach citing other authorities like the Hillel or Gamaliel. Jesus did not depend on the thinking of other men. Jesus did not need to consult the great pile of rabbinical writings to see and learn and think about what is best.

      St. Luke makes it perfectly clear that Jesus is the authority, He is God. He is the Wisdom of the ages. When people heard Him speak they were all astonished, astounded, flabbergasted, knocked-out of their socks. They heard God speak to them in His own voice. How we should envy them. They could enjoy being in the very presence of God, to see His face, hear His voice and listen in their minds and hearts to the melodious sounds coming directly from the mind and heart of God Himself.

      In order to amplify this message and make it loud and clear, St. Luke illustrates the dimensions of Jesus' divinity by painting a portrait of one of those days Jesus went down to Capernaum, in Galilee to teach.

      He chose to create a narrative for us that is rich and resplendent with profound and far reaching details. On this occasion Jesus taught a man possessed with a demon was there and the demon, a fallen angel, who certainly knew his Creator against whom he rebelled, recognized Him. Terrified, knowing the eternal punishment due him and his fellow demons, he thought it was the end of the world and time of the great final judgment and day of reckoning, when he and all cosmic rebels against God are eternally cast into Hell never to escape. This, story, then, has eschatological dimensions to it teaching us at the same time the consciousness in the minds of the Catholic Church and these apostles about the End of the World. So, the demon yelled out terrified in a loud voice :

      “What have you to do with us, Jesus of Nazareth?
      Have you come to destroy us?
      I know who you are–the Holy One of God!”

      Jesus locked eyes with him. The demon was immediately cast into anguish scrutinized by the eyes of God whom he chose to reject and suffer the consequences. This demon was shaking terrified in agony pierced by the all seeing eyes of God.

      Jesus spoke :

      “Be quiet! Come out of him!”

      God spoke and it was done, He commanded and it was made according to His will.

      The Jews could see this before their very eyes and they could not refrain from saying :

      “What is there about his word?

      They knew there was something of cosmic proportions about Jesus. It was unfathomable to the Jewish mind, then, as now, that God could be a man. According to Jewish thinking, no man can be God. But, also to this same thought every Jew must agree that God, if He so chose to could be a man.

      This idea we pick up from Abraham being visited by three men. For ages many writers have seen this as God visiting Abraham in human form. The idea or notion of God taking on human form is not new in Judaism, and sometimes the very reference to angels is not about a creature from heaven, but God taking on human form visiting men.

      This idea has even a deeper root in the very fact that God man human beings in His own image and likeness. So that the very divinity of Jesus Christ is echoed in those very words of divine revelation showing the Eternal Divine Word always was and always will be. Jesus Christ was born a real authentic human being in the flesh, but not exactly like us. We are all fallen human nature. Our very flesh is corrupt. People degenerate, have disease, ailments and age and die. Unfallen human nature is what Jesus has. He is uncorrupted, perfect, unblemished, unsullied, without personal sins or being born in sin, having been born by Mary, who too was conceived without sin.

      So, to the Jewish crowd that day gathered at Capernaum, they were astonished and amazed. They knew there was something about Jesus, something very different from every other person they have ever met. There was something very different about Him from every rabbi they have ever seen or heard.

      The mystery of Jesus Christ was not yet revealed since it was revealed through time. It was at this precise moment in time that St. Luke describes in his narrative that we can appreciate how contemporary Jews saw Jesus as a mystery. Very applicable to this are those famous historic words of Sir Winston Churchill when speaking about Russia during the war, and we can paraphrase them here to appreciate how the Jews at Capernaum two thousand years ago must have felt. "Jesus is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma; but perhaps there is a key."

      St. Luke is here today giving us that key. The key is his Gospel written some very few years after the crucifixion, death and resurrection. It was the very first Gospel written, written by the Roman Catholic Church and her authority, which is Christ Himself.

      The Holy See has that key, it is the key of St. Peter, teaching us the truths of the Catholic faith these past two thousand years unto the End of Time, when Jesus comes to reclaim His bride. A day we see looming up on our horizon, the break of first light illuminating our own days here and now as we anxiously await His return.

      The voice of the Apostles is deep and loud and resonates through the course of time down through the ages so that every eye has seen and heard the glory of God manifested in His Only Begotten Son, Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

      May God bless each and every one of you and bring you safely to your eternal home.

      Link to the list of 613 mitzvot
      <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/613_mitzvot>

      (Print and distribute)

      <http://www.usccb.org/catechism/text/entiretoc1.htm>