    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 10, 2008

      Pauline Year Edition

      Volume 8, Issue 111
      FRIDAY 11 JULY 2008

      . BENEDICT XVI TO DEPART FOR AUSTRALIA TOMORROW
      . PAULINE YEAR REFLECTIONS

      . BENEDICT XVI TO DEPART FOR AUSTRALIA TOMORROW

      VATICAN CITY, 11 JUL 2008 (VIS) - At 10 a.m. tomorrow, Benedict XVI is due to depart from Rome's Fiumicino airport bound for Sydney, Australia, thus beginning his ninth apostolic trip outside Italy.

      Following a flight of 13,269 kilometres lasting 15 hours and 45 minutes, the Pope's plane is due to land at Darwin in northern Australia. After a brief stopover, the flight will continue to Richmond airbase near Sydney, in the Australian state of New South Wales, where the Holy Father is expected to land at 3 p.m. local time (7 a.m. in Rome) on Sunday 13 July.

      Descending from the aircraft, the Pope will be greeted on the tarmac by Kevin Rudd, prime minister of Australia, Cardinal George Pell, archbishop of Sydney, and other civil and religious authorities. He will then travel by car to the Kenthurst Study Centre, a private house for retreats and formation belonging to the Prelature of Opus Dei, where he will spend the time privately until the evening of Wednesday 16 July.

      On the morning of Thursday 17 July, the Pope's visit to Australia will officially begin with the welcome ceremony in the presence of the authorities at Government House in Sydney, where he will deliver his first discourse. Following the ceremony he will travel to the Mary MacKillop Memorial Chapel for a moment of prayer, before moving on to Admiralty House for a meeting with the Australian prime minister.

      Early that afternoon the Pope will go to Rose Bay Quay in Sydney where he will be greeted with a display of traditional Aboriginal dances and songs. He will then board the vessel "Sydney 2000" and cross the bay to the city's Bangaroo East Darling Harbour where he will be welcomed by tens of thousands of young people.

      Events scheduled for Friday 18 July include an ecumenical meeting and an encounter with representatives of other religions in St. Mary's Cathedral of Sydney.

      The culminating moment of this apostolic trip to Oceania will be the prayer vigil and Mass to be presided by the Pope at Randwick Racecourse on Saturday 20 July and Sunday 21 July, in the presence of thousands of young people gathered from all over the world for 23rd World Youth Day.

      . PAULINE YEAR REFLECTIONS

      Saints Paul and Barnabas left Lystra and went about thirty miles southeast to Derbe, modern day Kerti Huyuk, Turkey. (Acts 14:21-24)

      The Book of the Acts of the Apostles tells us that Saints Paul and Barnabas made a considerable number of converts in this city. Gaius was one of the more significant converts St Paul had made, and he will eventually become a bishop sent on Apostolic missions as a Papal legate.

      The Apostles laid a very firm foundation here since the Church would flourish and grow through time as thee archaeological records show. Once they felt they had accomplished enough for the Church to carry on without them the Apostles left.

      The first Apostolic mission of Saints Paul and Barnabas was not an assignment without end. Before they left Antioch in Syria it was understood that they would return in a set and fixed space of time. They did not venture on to a new city but now retraced their steps and were en route to return to Damascus and Antioch in Syria to rejoin the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church there and report to the fellow bishops and priests what had happened in their mission.

      Unflinchingly and fearlessly the Apostles returned to Lystra where they were thought to have been killed. They strengthened the Church there by encouraging them and no one in the senate or city magistrates dared accused them again or punish them in any way. The ecclesiastical community would produce for us one of the greatest Apostles and disciples of Jesus Christ for the next generation. He was taught directly by St. Paul and his name was Timothy.

      The Apostles moved on and returned to Iconium to the shock and horror of the Greeks and then onto Antioch in Pisidia to the horror and shock of the Jews who thought they had murdered the Apostles. Now they were forced to hang their heads in shame since the Apostles only grew stronger and arrived triumphant and victorious in the work of Christ.

      REFLECTION

      St. Paul teaches us to endure the pains, trials and sufferings of hardships, persecutions and strife of social injustice. These pains and sufferings are the things that this fallen and broken world in which we live can and know how to give. We cannot avoid them so we must endure them in silence and be victorious and triumphant for the purification of our own soul and for the glory of Jesus Christ who suffered far more and greater things for our sake.

      St. Paul teaches us that through all these labors and hardships greatness comes about by the grace of God. God founded His Church throughout Turkey in Antioch in Pisidia, Iconium, Lystra and Derbe, although the Apostolic ministers were greatly challenged and severely treated and abused by the officials and the masses. Yet from the blood of Christ and His sufferings intermingled with our own, the Church bears new life like that which springs from the soil, like that of new trees that grow and bloom. Christ sanctifies everything when our hearts are turned to Him, when we prove in our thoughts, words and deeds that we truly love Him above all others and above all the pomps and pleasures of this sinful world.

      The Apostles returned to Antioch in Syria, but on their return they came back twice the men with twice the power and strength then when they first left.

      They had overcome sin, Satan, the world and all of its pomps and temptations. They had endured the suffering of martyrdom. This word comes from the Greek martyrios, which means to bear witness. It was originally a legal term used in the courts to certify that a testimony is true and authentic and worthy of being considered to bear weight in a trial so that a right judgment might be made. The Apostles are the great martyrs in this holiest of senses of the word. Here they gave holy testimony about Jesus Christ to Gentiles, Greeks, and Jews throughout Turkey and established the Church spreading Catholicism and multiplying the hierarchy.

      When we reflect on our own efforts, especially when we thought we worked so hard, gave so much of ourselves and then compare them to St. Paul we must surely be humbled. He serves as our measuring rod to compare ourselves. And he is nothing compared to our Lord Jesus Christ. Who then can boast to the Lord or feel self-complacent, smile and be giddy and think themselves grand? It is only the blind, immature and foolish heart that thinks itself perfect or holy since none of us have been cast into the action in the height and pitch of fierce drama like our holy Apostles. Humility is no small thing. It is an essential building block upon which we must grow as authentic disciples of Christ. Without true humility we cannot grow, we cannot build, we can only cave in, backslide, regress, make no progress and grow stagnant like a stagnant pond that stinks.

      Strength is built upon weakness, and power shines forth in adversity and infirmity, lessons taught to the Church by Saints Paul and Barnabas. Pray to God to grow more humble each day. Do not fret when your neighbor enjoys an opportunity to humiliate you, embarrass you, spread lies and rumors about you, and every other sort of social injustice that infuriates our nature. Rather, keep cool. Bad things will happen to you in this life whether you want them or not. God allows them so that you can see what sort of nature you have and prod you on to pray for the grace to mature and be humble.

      Memorial of Blessed Kateri Tekakwitha, virgin

      "I have come to bring not peace but the sword."

      Our Lord spoke in rhetorical figures when He spoke like this. He never encouraged anyone to use a sword. When He was arrested St. Peter drew his sword and cut off the ear of the Temple guard named Malchus. Jesus was upset and yelled, "Enough!" Then He healed the ear of Malchus and went away as a prisoner.

      Jesus never incited a riot. Yet we hear Him say "Do not think that I have come to bring peace upon the earth?" and again, "For I have come to set a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; and one’s enemies will be those of his household."

      What exactly is Jesus saying when we hear Him speak this way? The answer is found in the next verse : “Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me"

      In other words, the rhetorical figures Jesus was using "I have come to bring not peace but the sword." and turning family members against one another is really a dramatic way of emphasizing that we must love Him above everything and everyone.

      "But, I do." you say. However, we sometimes are weak and have favorite bad habits that we love more than Jesus because we sin. Sin means that we in a moment of weakness forget about Jesus and our minds look at what we want, what we feel like doing, and completely forget about God.

      Jesus wants us to never forget Him and to always put Him first before our own mother and father, before our own son and daughter, before our own lives. We must love Jesus more than life and everything and everyone in the whole world.

      This is what our Lord was teaching the Apostles before He sent them away on their first mission to build the foundation of the Church in Israel.

      I am sure some of the Apostles wanted to go off to their home towns and visit their parents and relatives. Jesus knew this in advance. He knew that their families would try to talk them out of staying with Jesus and being itinerant preachers. They would argue with them and attempt to persuade them with all sorts of emotional manipulations, but our Lord demanded of them as He does of us that we love Him above all others, all things and all desires so that He reigns supreme in our minds and hearts for ever.

      (Print and distribute)

      PART ONE : GOD

      Chapter V : BELIEF IN THE TRIUNE GOD (114-137)

      2. POSITIVE SIGNIFICANCE (127-137)

      This section of this chapter has three subsections.

      In the concluding remarks about how humans can make meaning statements about the Trinity Fr. Ratzinger discusses three theses.

      The 1st Thesis The paradox "una essentia tres personas" --one Being in three persons--is subordinate to the question of the original meaning of unity and plurality. (page 127)

      The divinity of God cannot be encapsulated in human terminology by formulating sentences with words that have in their very nature essentially limited meaning, limitations, and are fully grasped by the human intellect without difficulty. It is obvious that such words cannot be used to define the indefinable. Such words cannot express in their limitedness the infinite and uncontainable. The truth about God cannot be pinned down and confined to our meaning of such words as unity and plurality. These words are what we call categories. The very word category comes from the Greek kategoria, which means to point things out in the public places. Consequently categorical terms are references to material and tangible things that are transient mutable and limited. In other words categorical terms do not point to the qualities and characteristics of God. God transcends categories like unity and plurality, as Fr. Ratzinger says, "He bursts both categories." (page 128) The unity of God is not like that of physics and the physical world but transcends the realm of materiality and ascends to the infinite pleroma of the Kingdom of God, Love itself. As Fr. Ratzinger says so well, 'the authentic acme of unity is the unity created by love."(ibid.)

      Joseph Ratzinger, Introduction to Christianity (New York : Herder and
      Herder, 1970)

      http://www.usccb.org/nab/readings/071108.shtml (English)

      <http://www.usccb.org/catechism/text/entiretoc1.htm>