    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2008

      Pauline Year Edition

      Volume 8, Issue 103
      TUESDAY 1 JULY 2008

      . POPE TO TRAVEL TO CASTELGANDOLFO TOMORROW
      . COMBATING POVERTY. BUILDING PEACE
      . BENEDICT XVI'S PRAYER INTENTIONS FOR JULY
      . PAULINE YEAR REFLECTIONS

      . POPE TO TRAVEL TO CASTELGANDOLFO TOMORROW

      VATICAN CITY, 1 JUL 2008 (VIS) - Tomorrow afternoon, Benedict XVI is due to travel to his summer residence at Castelgandolfo, located some 30 kilometres south of Rome .

      During the summer period, all private and special audiences will be suspended, says a communique released today by the Prefecture of the Pontifical Household.

      On Sunday 6 July and Sunday 27 July, the Pope will pray the Angelus from the courtyard of the Apostolic Palace at Castelgandolfo.

      The Wednesday general audiences of 9, 16, 23 and 30 July are suspended.

      From 12 to 21 July, the Holy Father will travel to Australia for the 23rd World Youth Day.

      On 21 July, Benedict XVI will return to Castelgandolfo. Then, from 28 July to 11 August, he will spend a period of vacation at the seminary of Bressanone, a small city of 20,000 inhabitants located in the Italian province of Bolzano , in the Alpine region of Trentino-Alto Adige. During this period, the Holy Father is scheduled to hold just two public meetings: on Sunday 3 August and Sunday 10 August, when he will pray the Angelus from that location.

      General audiences will resume again regularly from Wednesday 13 August.

      On Sundays and Solemnities over the summer, the Pope will pray the Angelus from the Apostolic Palace of Castelgandolfo.

      . COMBATING POVERTY. BUILDING PEACE

      VATICAN CITY, 1 JUL 2008 ( VIS ) - "Combating poverty. Building peace" is the theme chosen by Benedict XVI for his Message for the 42nd World Day of Peace, due to be celebrated on 1 January 2009.

      "The theme chosen by the Holy Father", says a communique published today, "highlights the need for the human family to find an urgent response to the serious question of poverty, seen as a material problem but above all as a moral and spiritual one".

      The communique recalls how the Pope - in a Message addressed to the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organisation on 2 June - denounced the scandal of world poverty in the following terms: "Poverty and malnutrition are not a simple fatality, provoked by adverse environmental situations or by disastrous natural calamities. ... Purely technical and economic considerations must not prevail over the duties of justice towards people suffering from hunger".

      The communique continues: "The scandal of poverty reveals the inadequacy of current systems of human coexistence in promoting the realisation of the common good. This imposes the need for reflection on the deep roots of material poverty and, consequently, also on spiritual poverty which makes man indifferent to the suffering of others. The answer, then, is to be sought first and foremost in the conversion of the human heart to the God of charity, so as to achieve poverty of spirit in the terms of the Message of salvation announced by Jesus in the Sermon on the Mount: 'Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven".

      . BENEDICT XVI'S PRAYER INTENTIONS FOR JULY

      VATICAN CITY, 1 JUL 2008 ( VIS ) - Pope Benedict's general prayer intention for July is: "That there may be an increase in the number of those who, as volunteers, offer their services to the Christian community with generous and prompt availability".

      His mission intention is: "That the World Youth Day held in Sydney, Australia, may awaken the fire of divine love in young people and make them sowers of hope for a new humanity".

      . PAULINE YEAR REFLECTIONS

      St. Paul was born a Jew of Hebrew parents from the tribe of Benjamin and was circumcised on the eighth day after his birth. (Philip. 3:5) He was born in Tarsus, the capital city of Cilicia in Asia Minor, now modern day Turkey. (Acts 22:3; 23:34). His family moved to Jerusalem when he was a child and he was a student in that city of the great Jewish Rabbi Gamaliel. (Acts 22:3). He was a member of the sect of Pharisees observing the law. (Philip. 3:6) He was a zealous member of the council of the Temple of Jerusalem who was authorized by the members of that council to persecute the Christians of the infant Church. (Acts 22:4-5; Philip. 3:6) He had St. Stephen stoned to death creating the first martyr of record in the New Testament. (Acts 7: 58) He also had other Christian men and women placed in chains and sent to prison. (Acts 22:4) He was given written letters by the council of Jerusalem to go to Damascus in Syria and arrest more Christians and bring them to Jerusalem for imprisonment. (Acts 23:5). On his way to Damascus he saw a great light. (Acts 22:6-7)

      St. Paul was a devout Jews living in Jerusalem who probably did not personally know Jesus during His earthly life, although we have no way of knowing. It is possible that he was one of the opponents of Jesus in the Gospel stories when it says one of the Lawyers, or one of the Pharisees. This we shall never know for certain since none of this has ever been specified in Sacred Scripture. The fame of Jesus in Jerusalem during His earthly ministry would imply that St. Paul must have know about Him at least by hearsay if not first hand listening to Him publicly preach. We do not know if St. Paul was one of the members of the council of the Temple in Jerusalem who approached Pilate during the crucifixion and asked to place a guard on Jesus' tomb so that his disciples would not steal his corpse pretending He rose again as He prophesied. We do know that after Pentecost when the Church recieved the Holy Spirit and began to convert thousands upon thousands of Jews in mass conversions at Jerusalem that the council of the Temple plotted to squash the Christians and to develop propaganda against them so that any converts would cease as Christians and return to being practicing Jews. From archaeological finds we see very early false gospels written that make Jesus look silly like and idiot and a false magician. These apocryphal gospels were certainly the propaganda initiated by the Temple leaders to dissuade any further conversions and to bring back those who had. As they circulated this propaganda they also found it necessary to make public examples of Christians having them arrested for crimes against the law and imprisoned and for those who publicly preached Christ to the defiance of the Temple authorities they were executed by stoning as St. Stephen for the charge of blasphemy against God.

      In the beginning of the Gospel according to St. Luke, he says that others have taken on their own authority, not that of the Church, to write accounts of the life and teachings of Jesus. But that for the sake of truth he too wrote his Gospel so that Theophilus, the Chief Priest of the Temple in Jerusalem in AD 37, might come to know what really is true about that those things which he has heard.

      As St. Luke by the authority of the Church was handing his Gospel to Theophilus, St. Paul was riding on horseback on his way to Damascus.

      Wednesday of the Thirteenth Week in Ordinary Time

      “What have you to do with us, Son of God?"

      The very words of the demoniacs in the Gospel story are also words we too can say to Jesus.

      We are amazed that God can want to be with us as sinful as we are. Yet God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son so that we might live with Him for ever.

      Like the demoniacs we succumb to darkness and fall into sin. Yet Jesus casts out all darkness from us in the sacrament of confession and reconciliation purifying us with His sacred blood.

      When we realize that the Son of God wishes to be with us more than anything else we come to truly understand the meaning of His name Emmanuel, God is with us, God is among us and is intimate with us.

      The Son of God wishes to be with every single human being alive on this planet right here and now. You may be amazed at this because there are people you have been taught to be biased against, people you feel great prejudice for, people you are convinced are horrible and hateful and deserve to die. We are so filled with negative thoughts against our neighbors, so filled with bigotry, biases, prejudices, and fears and anxieties about whole races and ethnic groups that our hearts have become hardened and deaf to the voice of Jesus Christ. We cannot believe that Jesus Christ wishes to save t-h-e-m! But Christ, sheds His light to you today to let you know there is no one alive on earth right here and now that His heart cannot forgive and grant them eternal life.

      We must open up our hearts to forgive the wrongs of others. People can be so cruel. People can be so mischievous and do wicked and nasty things to one another. People can take your words and twist them to make other people think you said something you did not so as to turn people against you, to ridicule you, demean you, demoralize you and every other act of social injustice. But Jesus demands us to forgive everyone as He taught us in His Lord's Prayer, forgive us our sins as we forgive those who sin against us. So we must forgive everyone and accept any suffering as a just punishment from God for our sins of the past which can mature us and make us holier men and women.

      So when you pray look at a holy picture of Jesus Chrrist and with hearts filled with love look upon Him and say
      “What have you to do with us, Son of God?" and know in your heart that He wants everything to do with you and all other people everywhere.

      (Print and distribute)

      http://www.usccb.org/nab/readings/070108.shtml (English)

      <http://www.usccb.org/catechism/text/entiretoc1.htm>