    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 19, 2008

      FRIDAY 20 JUNE 2008

      . RADIO PARTICIPATES IN MISSION AND VISIBILITY OF THE CHURCH

      . RADIO PARTICIPATES IN MISSION AND VISIBILITY OF THE CHURCH

      VATICAN CITY, 20 JUN 2008 (VIS) - Today in the Vatican the Holy Father received participants in a symposium entitled: "The identity and mission of Catholic radio today". The symposium was organised by the Pontifical Council for Social Communications, which is presided by Archbishop Claudio Maria Celli.

      "As you work in Catholic radio stations you are at the service of the Word", the Pope told the more than 100 delegates from 50 countries. "The words that you broadcast each day are an echo of that eternal Word which became flesh. ... The Incarnation took place in a distant village, far away from the noisy imperial cities of antiquity. Today, even though you make use of modern communication technologies, the words which you broadcast are also humble, and sometimes it may seem to you that they are completely lost amidst the competition of other noisy and more powerful mass media.

      "But do not be disheartened!" he added. "The words which you transmit reach countless people, some of whom are alone and for whom your word comes as a consoling gift, some of whom are curious and are intrigued by what they hear, some of whom never attend church because they belong to different religions or to no religion at all, and others still who have never heard the name of Jesus Christ, yet through your service first come to hear the words of salvation. This work of patient sowing, carried on day after day, hour after hour, is your way of co-operating in the apostolic mission".

      "If the many forms and types of communication may be seen as a gift from God to help individuals and all humankind to develop, then radio, through which you exercise your apostolate, brings words and music to people in order to inform and to entertain, to announce and to denounce, but always respecting the truth and with the clear aim of educating in truth and hope. Jesus Christ gives us the Truth about man and the truth for man and, on the basis of that truth, a hope for the present and future of humanity in the world".

      The Holy Father went on to express the view that "radio, due to its association with the word, participates in the mission and visibility of the Church, but it also creates a new way of living, of being and of making the Church; this brings with it various ecclesiological and pastoral challenges. It is important to make the Word of God attractive, giving it consistency through your transmissions so as to touch the hearts of the men and women of our time, and to participate in transforming the lives of our contemporaries".

      "What exhilarating prospects your commitment and your work open up!" the Holy Father exclaimed. "Even now, your networks can be a small but real echo in the world of the network of friendship that the presence of the risen Christ, the God-with-us, inaugurated between heaven and earth and among mankind of all continents and epochs. In this way your work will become a full part of the mission of the Church, which I invite you to love deeply. By helping the heart of each person to open to Christ, you will help the world to open to hope and to that civilisation of truth and love which is the most eloquent result of His presence among us".

      VATICAN CITY, 20 JUN 2008 ( VIS ) - The Holy Father today received in separate audiences:

      - Cardinal Andrea Cordero Lanza di Montezemolo, archpriest of the papal basilica of St. Paul 's Outside-the-Walls, accompanied by Fr. Edmund D. Power OS.B., abbot of St. Paul 's Outside-the-Walls.

      - Archbishop Hector Miguel Cabrejos Vidarte O.F.M. of Trujillo , Peru .

      - Three prelates from the Pakistan Catholic Bishops' Conference, on their "ad limina" visit:

      - Bishop Anthony Theodore Lobo of Islamabad-Rawalpindi.

      - Bishop Andrew Francis of Multan .

      - Fr. Victor Gnanapragasam O.M.I., apostolic prefect of Quetta .

      This evening he is scheduled to receive in audience Cardinal William Joseph Levada, prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith.

      Monday, Solemnity of the Nativity of Saint John the Baptist Vigil

      From our mother's womb, that is, baptism in Christ and as members of His Church, we are filled with the Holy Spirit. This teaching was given by St. Luke in the foreshadowing of every Christian in the person of the infant St. John the Baptist. Mary, the mother of Jesus, when she heard her cousin Elizabeth was expecting a child hurried to visit her. As she entered her house to greet her, we are told by St. Luke, the unborn infant leapt in Elizabeth's womb and was filled with the Holy Spirit. This foreshadows our own baptism in the baptismal font as if it is the womb of Mary giving birth to Christ within us. Like St. John we too should leap for joy continually to be in the presence of Jesus and Mary. This perfect joy is possible by staying very close to them and living only to please God, not yourself or others. If we live in the presence of God keeping all our thoughts, words and deeds ever before Him and to serve Him and please Him, then we shall always have perfect joy and leap with childlike happiness to know, love and serve them in this life and to be happy with them for ever in the next.

      Fathers love your sons. Sons love your fathers. Daughters love your mothers. Mothers love your daughters. Children should love their parents with devotion as if loving them were loving Christ and His mother. Parents should love their children observing the sacred duty given to them by God to love them, educate them in the Catholic faith, and show them how to live happy productive lives serving God and home and our neighbors.

      If we do these simple things we are productive in the abundant grace God has given us to serve Him in this life. Authentic lovers of God take the roles seriously God has given them in this life and do their very best to please Him. This is the authentic service to God all married couples are obligated to do. And all children brought forth as the productive fruit of the bond of Holy Matrimony are called to respond to God by loving their parents. Think back on how you have celebrated Mother's Day this past May and Father's Day this past Sunday. Showing special thoughtfulness to your parents should never be isolated to an annual festival just as showing affection to Christ should not be isolated to a weekly liturgy but be constant. So too constantly respect and love your parents.

      (Print and distribute)

      PART ONE : GOD

      Chapter V : BELIEF IN THE TRIUNE GOD (114-137)

      1. A START AT UNDERSTANDING (114-127)

      (a) The point of departure of the belief in the triune God (pages 114-117)

      Fr. Ratzinger concludes this portion of his essay by summing up the whole saying : "God is as he shows himself; God does not show Himself in a way which he is not. On this assertion rests the Christian relations with God; in it is grounded the doctrine of the Trinity; indeed it is this doctrine." (pages 116-117)

      As we expressed earlier the idea that if God is incapable of communicating with us then scripture is worthless literature, and belief in Jesus is reduced to believing in nothing more than an ordinary Jew who lived two millennia in the past, who is purported to have said and done some things that perhaps are wise, but then again, perhaps not. If we reject the idea that God can communicate perfectly with us giving us absolutely clear and true knowledge of Himself, His nature, our nature and that of the world and how we must live and behave, then Christianity would not be worthwhile for anyone. It is precisely because God can and does speak to us revealing Himself and filling us with wisdom and truth that Christianity is worthwhile, and it is this that makes life worthwhile.

      Joseph Ratzinger, Introduction to Christianity (New York : Herder and
      Herder, 1970)

      http://www.usccb.org/nab/readings/062008.shtml (English)

      <http://www.usccb.org/catechism/text/entiretoc1.htm>