    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 25, 2008

      TUESDAY 26 FEBRUARY 2008

      LENTEN SEASON

      . CONSISTORY ON SEVERAL CAUSES OF CANONIZATION
      . GROWING INTEREST IN POPE'S VISIT TO AUSTRALIA
      . CARDINAL BERTONE TO VISIT ARMENIA AND AZERBAIJAN
      . POPE SENDS ECONOMIC AID FOR FLOOD VICTIMS IN ECUADOR

      . CONSISTORY ON SEVERAL CAUSES OF CANONIZATION

      VATICAN CITY, 26 FEB 2008 (VIS) - At 11 a .m. on Saturday, 1 March, in the Consistory Hall of the Vatican Apostolic Palace, an Ordinary Public Consistory will be held for the canonization of the following Blesseds:

      - Blessed Gaetano Errico, Italian priest and founder of the Congregation of the Missionaries of the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary (1791-1860).

      - Blessed Maria Bernarda Butler (nee Verena), Swiss foundress of the Congregation of the Missionary Franciscan Sisters of Mary Help of Christians (1848-1924).

      - Blessed Alfonsa of the Immaculate Conception (nee: Anna Muttathupandathu), Indian professed sister of the Congregation of Poor Clares of the Third Order of St. Francis (1910-1946).

      - Blessed Narcisa de Jesus Martillo Moran, Ecuadorian lay woman (1833-1869).

      . GROWING INTEREST IN POPE'S VISIT TO AUSTRALIA

      VATICAN CITY, 26 FEB 2008 (VIS) - The Special Council for Oceania of the General Secretariat of the Synod of Bishops held its ninth meeting in Rome on 14 and 15 February, according to a communique made public yesterday afternoon.

      Under the presidency of Archbishop Nikola Eterovic, secretary general of the Synod of Bishops, the meeting was attended by two cardinals, five archbishops and one bishop, most of them from the continent of Oceania .

      "The particular Churches on this continent have an unquestionable vitality", says the communique. A vitality "sustained by the 2001 Apostolic Exhortation 'Ecclesia in Oceania' which has been reprinted and translated into various local languages".

      "The entire continent is being mobilized - both in the more socially advanced areas and in less developed regions - to prepare" for World Youth Day 2008, which is due to be held in Sydney , Australia , in July. Various economic initiatives have been organized to help young people from the poorest areas of the continent to participate in the event. "The Day", the communique proceeds, "is considered as one of the most important events in the history of Australia , and interest is growing in the visit of Pope Benedict XVI, as an event of special grace".

      On the subject of the other theme examined during the meeting, that of the inculturation of the Gospel message, the communique recalls how "this is one of the great pastoral concerns of the Church in Oceania . It is a gradual process by which the Gospel enters the various cultures, transforming or purifying certain values so they can find their place within a genuine Christian culture, without undermining due respect either for the Gospel or for the cultures themselves.

      "In this dynamic process", the communique adds in conclusion, "the joint efforts of pastors, priests, deacons and catechists are indispensable. Of particular importance are Catholic schools of all levels, which safeguard Catholic identity and remain as vital instruments of evangelical witness in the modern world, which is so often secularized".

      . CARDINAL BERTONE TO VISIT ARMENIA AND AZERBAIJAN

      VATICAN CITY, 26 FEB 2008 ( VIS ) - At midday today, the Holy See Press Office released the following communique:

      "From 2 to 9 March, Cardinal Secretary of State Tarcisio Bertone S.D.B. will - at the invitation of the religious and civil authorities - make a visit to Armenia and Azerbaijan , in the course of which he will have the opportunity to express the closeness of the Holy Father Benedict XVI to the Catholic faithful in those countries.

      "The cardinal will meet the government authorities of Armenia and Azerbaijan .

      "During his stay in Armenia from 2 to 6 March, Cardinal Bertone will be received by His Holiness Karekin II, Supreme Patriarch and Catholicos of All Armenians, to whom he will consign a Letter signed by Pope Benedict XVI. In the Letter, the Holy Father expresses his regards and his desire for the Catholic Church to continue the ecumenical journey alongside the Armenian Apostolic Church .

      "From 6 to 9 March, Cardinal Bertone will visit Azerbaijan where he will meet Sheikh Allashukur Pashazade, head of Muslims in the Caucasus , and other religious leaders, to tell them of the Catholic Church's desire to collaborate in the joint commitment to peace, harmony between peoples and the good of the human family. In Baku , Cardinal Bertone will attend the inauguration of a new Catholic church built on land donated to Servant of God John Paul II by President Heydar Aliyev, father of the current head of State".

      . POPE SENDS ECONOMIC AID FOR FLOOD VICTIMS IN ECUADOR

      VATICAN CITY, 26 FEB 2008 (VIS) - The Pontifical Council "Cor Unum" has, in the Holy Father's name, sent a first consignment of emergency economic aid to the 11 Ecuadorian dioceses affected by recent flooding, according to a communique made public at midday today.

      During the Angelus of Sunday 24 February, Benedict XVI launched an appeal for Ecuador "inviting everyone to show fraternal solidarity so that the people of these areas - who are experiencing moments of anguish and tribulation in the wake of devastating floods and the eruption of the Tungurahua volcano - may, as soon a possible, return to the normality of everyday life".

      Wednesday of the Third Week of Lent

      Jesus tells us that whoever breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do so will be called least in the Kingdom of heaven. This is very humbling since virtually everyone has broken one of the least of these commandments and taught others to do so too. Also, many people break even the great commandments and by bad conduct encourage, inspire and advocate others to do so.

      We all go to confession to confess having done these things and receive absolution and are given a penance. Yet, the fact remains we are guilty of having broken both the least of the commandments as well as some of the greater or more important ones as well.

      Jesus is saying that we, the sinners who did these things and repented, confessed and did penance are the least in the Kingdom of heaven. But, what joy it is to be even counted among the least in heaven.

      Ideally, we are never to violate God's law and sin. Any of the moral teachings and commandments that we violate are not merely breaking a law but are violating our relationship with God.

      I was having a dinner with a rabbi and his wife last week in Germany just over the Swiss border and during the meal we struck up a conversation about "the fear of the Lord."

      I listened very carefully to the rabbi and his wife with their views on what "the fear of the Lord" meant to them. As I listened I heard them express the negative view that the fear of the Lord pretty much meant to be afraid of the punishments and wrath of God for violating any of His commandments. I thought this was a rather sad point of view and offered them another.

      I asked them if they ever deeply loved their mother or father or sister or brother, grandparents or one of their children. "of course" they replied. The fear of the Lord is not being afraid of God or of violating any laws, but rather, is a cherishing of that tender and intimate relationship with Him like the ones you have with those whom you love and being afraid of doing anything wrong that might violate that bringing something between us.

      How often have we lost sight of this and exchanged some foolish thing for the love of God? We all have done this when we make the slightest sin and more obviously when we have made some serious mortal sins.

      Keep close to God daily in conversation with Him. Speak to Him constantly everyday about everything on your mind as you would to your most intimate friend. Build a close loving intimate relationship with God so much so that even the slightest sin becomes a horror to your mind.

      Pray daily to grow ever so much closer and intimate with God. This is a great grace and special privilege. But if you ask God for this gift He will give it to you. There is no better guarantee than to ask Mary for this great grace. Never has it been known that anyone who asked her for this special privilege was ever denied it.

      (Print and distribute)

      PART ONE : GOD

      Chapter I : PROLEGOMENA TO THE SUBJECT OF GOD (67-76)

      This chapter is divided into two parts.

      1. THE SCOPE OF THE QUESTION (67-72)

      "Loneliness is indubitably one of the basic roots from which man's encounter with God grew up. Where man experiences his solitariness, he experiences at the same time how much his whole existence is a cry for the "You" and how ill-adapted he is to be only an "I" in himself. This loneliness can become apparent to man on various levels. To start with it can be comforted by the discovery of a human "You". But then there is the paradox that, as Claudel says, every "You" found by man finally turns out to be an unfulfilled and unfufillable promise; [4] that every "You" is at the bottom another disappointment and that there comes a point when no encounter can surmount the final loneliness: the very process of finding and of having found thus becomes a pointer back to the loneliness, a call to the absolute "You" that really descends into the depth of the one's own "I". But even here it remains true that it is not only the need born of loneliness, the experience that no sense of community fills up all our longing, which leads to the experience of God; it can just as well proceed from the joy of security." (pages 69-70)

      NOTES

      [4] Paul Claudel, Le Soulier de Satin.

      Joseph Ratzinger, Introduction to Christianity (New York : Herder and
      Herder, 1970)

      <http://www.usccb.org/catechism/text/entiretoc1.htm>