    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2008

      THURSDAY 3 JANUARY 2008

      . ALMOST THREE MILLION PEOPLE IN PAPAL MEETINGS IN 2007

      ALMOST THREE MILLION PEOPLE IN PAPAL MEETINGS IN 2007

      VATICAN CITY, 3 JAN 2008 (VIS) - During the year 2007, almost three million faithful participated in public meetings with the Pope, either in the Vatican or at his summer residence of Castelgandolfo.

      According to statistics released by the Prefecture of the Pontifical Household, a total of 2,830,100 people attended the Wednesday general audiences, special audiences, liturgical celebrations and Sunday Angelus prayers during the course of the year.

      The Wednesday general audiences, held in St. Peter's Square and the Paul VI Hall, attracted 729,100 people. This figure reflects the number of tickets distributed, and does not take into account the thousands of faithful who arrive without tickets and also participate.

      The Angelus prayers of 2007 drew 1,450,000 people to St. Peter's Square - 155,000 more than last year - while 442,000 attended the various liturgical ceremonies presided by the Holy Father. April 2007, the month in which Holy Week fell, saw the greatest numbers of faithful attending the Wednesday general audiences and the liturgical celebrations: respectively 130,000 and 250,000.

      VATICAN CITY, 3 JAN 2008 (VIS) - The Holy Father appointed Bishop Patrick James Zurek, auxiliary of the archdiocese of San Antonio, U.S.A., as bishop of Amarillo (area 67,185, population 422,448, Catholics 39,609, priests 48, permanent deacons 47, religious 118), U.S.A. He succeeds Bishop John Walter Yanta, whose resignation from the pastoral care of the same diocese the Holy Father accepted, upon having reached the age limit.

      Memorial of Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton, religious

      “What are you looking for?” This is the question that God asks of each and everyone.

      How do we answer?

      Do we reflect on this and ask ourselves in the secrets of our hearts what it is we truly seek and want?

      Christ asks us “What are you looking for?” as He does the Apostles Andrew and John in today's Gospel reading.

      Are we looking for appreciation? Do we seek to be loved and understood?

      We all seek to belong and feel like a wanted loved member of a loving and caring family. We all want to be satisfied in the depth of our souls that we are doing good things well and others are benefiting from what it is that we have to offer and that our goodness and our good deeds are recognized and appreciated. Love and praise attracts love and praise. But what we want is authentic love and morally good praise.

      We live in a fallen broken society. That world has a very corrupt culture where love and praise, and belonging and caring are all self-centered with only "What's in it for me" as the driving force.

      We know that nothing of this worldly culture can satisfy our deepest spiritual yearnings. Only God Himself can satisfy what cravings each one of us feels and experiences in our very depths.

      People without religious guidance of the Catholic faith fail to understand what makes them tick, what driving forces from within our depths lie behind and underneath all our urges and longings and cravings within us. Instead they only see the animal and material world and interpret these inner feelings as pleasure driven urges that can be satisfied with sex, drugs, material wealth and power.

      Pursuing this materialism and consumerism is all the person without faith knows. They believe in science not religion. If science says these inner drives are sensual and need sensual gratification then they wash their consciences clean in the brain-washingmachine of science to ease their minds and free themselves from any sense of guilt and shame. They are accountable only to man-made rules in a fallen society run by broken laws. Public social orders are a double edge sword which is harmless to those who belong to this corrupt world but can deliver sever blows and wounds to those who oppose it.

      “What are you looking for?” cannot be answered like a naive dreamer who says, "World peace." That is an unattainable goal in our world where no two people can agree what's for dinner. We can truly long for social justice and thirst for it and do what we can within our means to promote it, advocate it, financially contribute to building hospitals, churches, providing food, clothing, medical supplies and services and shelter for the needy. We can do good things to help our neighbor besides just praying for them. We can offer someone a piece of bread and a glass of clean water, listen to them as they need human companionship, some sensitivity, some sense of being heard and understood.

      “What are you looking for?” is this very fiber in the core of every human heart. "Do you love me?" "Does anybody really care about me?" are the cries of lonely desperate hearts heard round this cold and dark world.

      Christ came into the world to dispel this darkness and to warm it up with the love of God.

      “What are you looking for?” should always be answered quickly and clearly "You, Lord." "It is You and You alone that I am looking for!" "I have come, Lord, to love You and serve You, and only You."

      What was your answer to this question? Was it a new large flat screen TV, or some other material good in a consumer world mentality? Or, was it perhaps a winning lottery ticket?

      “What are you looking for?” tells us how our minds think and what values we have developed and attitudes we have taken on.

      If we find ourselves giving an answer other than, "You, Lord." "It is You and You alone that I am looking for!" then we need to do some serious soul searching within and ask God for the grace to enlighten us and heal us and to put us back on the path of righteousness.

      “What are you looking for?” "You, Lord." "It is You, and You alone that I am looking for!"

      May God bless you and keep you this new year.

      Mama Gili
      (Mama Gili Guild, 1989). The 2005 Edition is available from the Mama
      Gili Guild
      by contacting Fr. Dante: address and phone number below. The cost of
      the book,
      last time I checked, was $5.00 plus postage.