    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 10, 2007

      WEDNESDAY 11 JULY 2007

      . POPE AUTHORIZES PUBLICATION OF CELAM FINAL DOCUMENT
      . PROTECT RIGHTS OF MIGRANT WORKERS AND THEIR FAMILIES

      POPE AUTHORIZES PUBLICATION OF CELAM FINAL DOCUMENT

      VATICAN CITY, JUL 11, 2007 (VIS) - Made public today was a Letter from Benedict XVI to bishops of Latin America and the Caribbean, in which he authorizes the publication of the final document of the Fifth General Conference of the Episcopate of Latin America and the Caribbean (CELAM). On May 13, during the course of his apostolic trip to Brazil, the Pope inaugurated the conference at the Brazilian shrine of Aparecida.

      In his Letter, the Pope calls for the final document "to be a light and a stimulus for fruitful pastoral and evangelizing work in the years to come," observing that the text contains "many useful pastoral indications motivated with rich reflections in the light of the faith and of the current social situation.

      "Among them," the Pope adds, "I read with particular appreciation the exhortation for priority to be given, in pastoral programs, to the Eucharist and the sanctification of the Day of the Lord, as well as the expressed wish to strengthen the Christian formation of the faithful in general and of pastoral workers in particular. In this context I was happy to learn of the desire to create a 'Continental Mission,' which episcopal conferences and dioceses are all called to study and put into effect, channeling all their vital energies to this end."

      In a separate development, during the inaugural session of the 31st Ordinary CELAM Assembly, which began yesterday in Havana, Cuba, the new leaders of that institution for the next four-year period (2007-2011) were elected. The president is Archbishop Raymundo Damasceno Assis of Aparecida, Brazil, the first vice-president is Baltazar Porras Cardozo of Merida, Venezuela, and the second vice president is Bishop Andres Stanovnik O.F.M. Cap. of Reconquista, Argentina.

      * * *

      PROTECT RIGHTS OF MIGRANT WORKERS AND THEIR FAMILIES

      VATICAN CITY, JUL 11, 2007 (VIS) - Made public yesterday afternoon was a speech delivered by Archbishop Agostino Marchetto, secretary of the Pontifical Council for the Pastoral Care of Migrants and Itinerant Peoples, during the Global Forum on Migration and Development, held in Brussels, Belgium from July 9 to 11.

      Speaking English, the archbishop recalled how "migrants contribute to their host country's well-being, and also because of this their human dignity must be respected and their freedoms guaranteed: the right to a dignified life, to fair treatment at work, to have access to education, health and other social benefits, to grow in competence and develop humanly, to freely manifest their culture and practice their religion.

      "But rights and duties go together," he added. "Therefore, at the same time, migrants have the duty to respect the identity and the laws of the country of residence, strive for proper integration (not assimilation) into the host society and learn its language. They are to foster esteem and respect for their host country, even to the point of loving and defending it.

      "Unfortunately, among them there are immigrants in an irregular situation, who, however, independently of their legal status, have inalienable human dignity. Therefore their rights must be safeguarded and not ignored or violated. An irregular migration status, in fact, does not mean criminality. The solution is better international cooperation that discourages irregularity, with increased legal channels for migration."

      Archbishop Marchetto concluded his talk by renewing the call made by the Pope in his Message for the World Day of Migrants and Refugees for "governments who have not yet done so, to ratify the International Convention for the Protection of the Rights of all Migrant Workers and the Members of their Families."

      Thursday of the Fourteenth Week in Ordinary Time

      "Go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel." This saying of Jesus to His apostles is being said to you and me today.

      And who are the lost sheep of the house of Israel, you ask?

      All of Israel.

      God does not despise Israel; so must neither you nor I despise any Jew.

      In the first reading we have heard the story of Joseph reunited with his brothers.

      Out of jealousy and fear they sold him into slavery in Egypt pretending to their father he was slain by wild beasts.

      The Jews know this story very well and in the great tradition of Jewish literature the story of Joseph is often one of the most popular themes.

      The parallels between Joseph and our Lord Jesus Christ are remarkable in the story of the history of salvation.

      Just as Joseph was the victim of jealousy, so too Christ.

      Just as Joseph was left for dead by the Jews, so too Christ.

      Just as Joseph was revealed to be alive, so too Christ.

      Just as Joseph forgave those who sinned against him, so too Christ.

      Just as Joseph saw his exile into Egypt as an act of God to save lives, so too Christ.

      Jesus was sinned against by the whole house of Israel, rejected and abandoned and left for dead as though he too like Joseph should be erased from Israel for ever.

      But like Joseph who returns to the Jews and brings them salvation with food and refuge, so too Christ, who brings eternal salvation, not merely bread and shelter.

      The bread that Jesus gives and offers to the Jews today is Himself in the Eucharist.

      But how can the Jews receive Jesus in the Eucharist, you ask, since they do not believe, nor are they baptized, nor do they attend Catholic Mass, nor are any of them registered in any Catholic parish?

      Today's reading is our reminder :

      "Go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel." This words of Jesus to His apostles are being said to you and me today.

      It is our burden, our task given to us to have this fulfilled. It is the mission of the whole Church, of every baptized Catholic and Cristian to bring back the house of Israel into the fold before Christ returns.

      We are morally bound and obligated to Christ, to glorify His sufferings, His shedding of His blood for the salvation of every human person, to bear witness to Him, to convince a disbelieving world that God lives and loves each and everyone with His whole heart.

      Now is not the time to point out our differences.

      Now is not the time to bring up sins of the past pointing fingers at this one and at that one, but rather, now is the time to embrace one another with unconditional love and forgiveness.

      Now is the time to bear witness to Christ by acts of charity, acts of respect, kindness, forgiveness, generosity and every form of love God gives each and everyone pouring out His grace into our hearts.

      “As you go, make this proclamation:
      ‘The Kingdom of heaven is at hand.’

      Now is the time to wake up out of our sleep living lives in stupor blind by materialism, the corruption of politics and political idealisms riddled with deceptions, hidden agendas, selfishness and greed.

      The only government anyone should want is God to govern their mind and heart.

      The only government anyone should want is Christ to rule with supreme justice and liberty for all.

      Only Christ and Christ alone can bring social justice, authentic freedom and liberty to this blackened fallen planet inebriated and drunk with arrogance, pride, vanity and egotism.

      Let all abandon their special interests for it is in this self-seeking behavior that all the chaos of our global society springs forth from a heart encrusted with selfishness.

      Go therefore into the world bringing the Light of Christ.

      Let Christ Himself bear witness through you to a tragic world saddened by the oppression designed and imposed by the current tyrants of the material corporate world.

      Be signs of Christ's presence by avoiding temptation and sin and encouraging everyone to do what is right and true and just as revealed by Christ in His Gospel.

      Bear witness today especially to the lost sheep of the house of Israel so that this great wish, this burning desire of Christ may be satisfied.

      Continued from January 17, 2007

      PART III: SACRAMENTA SCRIPTURARUM

      CHAPTER FOUR : When Israel came out of Egypt . . . (pages 79-89)

      Fr. Merton points out that the Psalms contains the essential core of all of human history and the history of salvation. Within them is the contained the message of the Victory of Christ, but in a secret way written and waiting for each Christian to discover in prayer and in reflection to see it fulfilled in our personal life.

      Fr. Merton reflects on what the history of salvation and Victory of Christ means in our daily lives. He begins by saying something very profound : "Growth in Christ is growth in charity." (83)

      This growth in charity is the direct result of the Holy Spirit pouring grace within our hearts. In practical daily life God does this through our sufferings united with Christ's own cross. "For Christ without the Cross is not our Christ." (ibid.)

      "The Cross is our glory, says St. Paul. [64] He has sketched out the asceticism of tribulation in a verse of Romans. We glory, says he, not only in the hope of the glory of the sons of God (as if we were to enter heaven without suffering), but we especially glory in tribulation, because tribulation makes us patient; our patience under suffering proves us true Christians; and by this proof we have hope; and this hope cannot be shaken because when we have it, the fulness of love is poured out into our hearts by the Holy Ghost. The Holy Ghost, living and acting in our souls, intimately present to us, is Himself God's gift to us. Caritas Dei diffusa est in cordibus nostri per Spiritum Sanctum qui datus est nobis." [65] (84)

      [64] Galatians 6:14
      [65] "The charity of God is poured forth in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who is given to us."--Romans 5:5

      Thomas Merton, Bread in the Wilderness. (London : Hollis & Carter, 1954).

      AUDIO RECORDINGS OF THE DIVINE OFFICE: recited by the Monks of
      Adoration:

      Claudia. Claudia Gili Phaneuf, Dolores Immacolata Gili: Mama Gili
      (Mama Gili Guild, 1989). The 2005 Edition is available from the Mama
      Gili Guild by contacting Fr. Dante: address and phone number below.
      The cost of the book, last time I checked, was $5.00 plus postage.

      rectangular button that reads SEARCH ARCHIVE, and then click that button.