    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2007

      THURSDAY 4 JANUARY 2007

      . BENEDICT XVI VISITS A CARITAS SHELTER IN ROME
      . IN MEMORIAM
      . MAMA GILI

      BENEDICT XVI VISITS A CARITAS SHELTER IN ROME

      VATICAN CITY, JAN 4, 2007 (VIS) - This morning, the Holy Father visited a shelter run by the diocesan Caritas of Rome on the city's Colle Oppio. Founded in 1983, it was the first structure for homeless people to be established in Rome. Over the last 23 years it has welcomed thousands of people, both Italians and non-Italians, and distributed more than nine million meals.

      Accompanied by Cardinal Camillo Ruini, vicar general for the diocese of Rome, Bishop Ernesto Mandara, auxiliary of Rome for the central area, and Msgr. Guerino Di Tora, director of Caritas, the Pope visited the welcome center, the canteen and a nativity scene built by the Caritas volunteers and the people who use the shelter. He also greeted young people from the "Monti-Esquilino" youth center, which is based in the same building.

      At the entrance to the canteen, the Pope paused to bless a plaque commemorating John Paul II's visit there on December 20, 1992. A phrase Pope John Paul pronounced on that occasion - "suffering man concerns us" - is now inscribed on the plaque.

      Afterwards, in the courtyard attached to the canteen, the Pope met with the Caritas volunteers and the people who use the shelter.

      "In this shelter, which can in some way be considered as the symbol of Roman Caritas" he said in his address to them, "it is possible to touch the presence of Christ in our brothers and sisters who are hungry, and in those who give them to eat. Here we can experience how, when we love our fellows, we know God better. In the manger of Bethlehem, He showed Himself to us in the poverty of a helpless newborn child. The Christmas message is simple: God came among us because He loves us. God is love, not a sentimental love but a love that became a total giving of self, even unto the sacrifice on the cross."

      Benedict XVI recalled how the word Bethlehem means "house of bread. Truly Jesus - the bread from heaven, the living bread - in some way shows Himself every day in this shelter, where the aim is not just to give people to eat, but to serve them without distinction of race, religion or culture."

      "A call addressed to everyone arises from the manger of Bethlehem, from each nativity scene: Jesus loves us and He teaches us to love. The directors, the volunteers and all those who frequent this shelter can experience the beauty of this love. They can feel the profundity of the joy that it brings, a joy most certainly different from the one proclaimed by publicity and advertising."

      The Pope concluded his talk by calling upon the Lord "to continue to protect the people who, in Roman Caritas, undertake such precious work in promoting solidarity, both here and elsewhere in the city. May the Holy Spirit animate the hearts of the directors, workers and volunteers that they may serve with ever more committed dedication, drawing inspiration from authentic Christian love, which the saints of charity summarized in the motto: 'the good done well'."

      After his address, five prayer intentions were read out, followed by the Our Father and the final blessing. The Pope was then given "ID card number one" for accessing Caritas shelters in Rome, an apron of the kind worn by the volunteers, a blanket, and an album with drawings by children living in a shelter for mothers in difficulties. For his part, the Holy Father donated 10,000 blankets and 2,000 overcoats to distribute to the homeless people whom the Caritas volunteers meet every night in the streets of the capital.

      At midday, his visit concluded, the Pope returned to the Vatican by car.

      * * *

      IN MEMORIAM

      VATICAN CITY, JAN 4, 2007 (VIS) - The following prelates died in recent weeks:

      - Bishop Auguste Delisle S.S.Sp., emeritus of Lokoja, Nigeria, on November 13, at the age of 98.

      - Archbishop Nerses Der Nersessian C.A.M., ordinary emeritus for Armenian Catholics of Eastern Europe, on December 24, at the age of 86.

      - Archbishop Ettore Di Filippo, emeritus of Campobasso-Boiano, Italy, on December 18, at the age of 84.

      - Bishop Daniele Ferrari, emeritus of Chiavari, Italy, on December 20, at the age of 86.

      - Bishop Jacinto Guerrero Torres of Tlaxcala, Mexico, on December 27, at the age of 72.

      - Archbishop Jorge Manuel Lopez, emeritus of Rosario, Argentina, on December 22, at the age of 88.

      * * *

      MAMA GILI

      Three new links have been added to our CATALOGUE OF LINKS, see below 7. THE BEATIFICATION OF MAMA GILI

      You can also obtain a copy of the book about Mama Gili written by her eldest daughter Claudia (she too is now deceased). Claudia Gili Phaneuf, Dolores Immacolata Gili: Mama Gili. (Mama Gili Guild, 1989). The 2005 Edition is now available from the Mama Gili Guild. Anyone interested in obtaining a copy of this book may purchase the 2005 edition from Fr. Dante: The Society of the Holy Face/Mama Gili Guild, address and phone number below. The cost of the book, last time I checked, was $5.00 plus postage.

      “Amen, amen, I say to you, you will see the sky opened and the angels of God ascending and descending on the Son of Man.”

      This apocalyptic vision of Jesus Christ enthroned as supreme ruler of all creation hails in our new year and renews our hope, joy and expectations for His coming.

      St. Luke gave us the sign of the beginning of the end of the world : the clamor of the ocean and the tumult of its waves. (Luke 21:25)

      He then says that they shall see the Son of Man coming on a cloud in great power and glory.

      This vision of the glorious Christ is the very same one given to us in today's reading but put another way by St. John.

      We are living during the time between the great tsunamis and the return of Christ in power and glory.

      We are living at the climax of human history, the final age filled with great drama, but more so filled with tremendous hope, great expectations and the joyful knowledge that Jesus Christ shall come again to bring eternal peace and justice to earth.

      Be not afraid!

      Rather, be people of hope, people of peace and joy!

      Rejoice knowing God has us in the palm of His hands.

      We do not know the day or hour, but we do know with absolute certainty that Jesus Christ is Triumphant, Victor and Savior of the world and is already en route in His return.

      Keep your eyes on the Vicar of Christ, Benedict XVI, whom Christ Himself has personally appointed as His shepherd to show you the way.

      Begin this new year renewing your commitment to Christ growing in love and devotion to Him so that we may serve Him ever more faithfully.

      Stay on the straight and narrow path in life and seek only the riches of heaven.

      Mary, Queen of all souls, grant me the grace to be holy and live devoted to you and your son, Jesus Christ.

      PART III: SACRAMENTA SCRIPTURARUM

      CHAPTER TWO : Transformation in Discovery (pages 65-70)

      Fr. Merton discusses the content of the Psalms that mirror the pain and suffering of life as cries to God for help. When we pray these Psalms we can identify with their content opening up our own hearts in the crying out to God for the consolation, healing, and strength each human person longs for.

      "They entered into the 'action' of the Psalm. They allowed themselves to be absorbed in the spiritual agony of the Psalmist and of the One he represented. They allowed their sorrows to be swallowed up in the sorrows of this mysterious Personage and then they found themselves swept away, on the strong tide of his hope, into the very depths of God." (pages 66-67)

      Thomas Merton, Bread in the Wilderness (London : Hollis & Carter,
      Doubleday, 1954)

      AUDIO RECORDINGS OF THE DIVINE OFFICE: recited by the Monks of
      Adoration:

      Get a copy of the book about Mama Gili written by her eldest daughter Claudia. Claudia Gili Phaneuf, Dolores Immacolata Gili: Mama Gili (Mama Gili Guild, 1989) 2005 Edition Available from the Mama Gili Guild. Anyone interested in obtaining a copy of this book may purchase the 2005 edition from Fr. Dante: The Society of the Holy Face/Mama Gili Guild, address and phone number below. The cost of the book, last time I checked, was $5.00 plus postage.

      rectangular button that reads SEARCH ARCHIVE, and then click that button.