    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2007

      WEDNESDAY 3 JANUARY 2007

      . OPENING OUR HEARTS AND MINDS TO CHRIST

      OPENING OUR HEARTS AND MINDS TO CHRIST

      VATICAN CITY, JAN 3, 2007 (VIS) - In his first general audience of this year, held this morning in the Vatican's Paul VI Hall, the Pope pointed out how the atmosphere of Christmas "invites us to rejoice for the birth of the Redeemer."

      "Those who pause in meditation before the Son of God lying defenseless in the manger cannot but marvel at this humanly incredible event; they cannot but share the wonder and the humble abandonment of the Virgin Mary, whom God chose as the Mother of the Redeemer precisely because of her humility.

      "In the Child of Bethlehem," the Holy Father added, "all mankind discovers itself to be gratuitously loved by God. In the light of Christmas, the infinite goodness of God is made plain to each of us. In Jesus, the heavenly Father inaugurated a new relationship with us: He made us 'sons in the Son'."

      "However, the joy of Christmas does not make us forget the mystery of evil (mysterium iniquitatis), the power of the dark that seeks to obscure the splendor of divine light, and unfortunately we experience this power of darkness every day. ... This is the drama of the rejection of Christ which, today as in the past, shows and expresses itself in many different ways." Indeed, "perhaps the ways of refusing God in the modern age are even more insidious and dangerous: from outright rejection to indifference, from scientistic atheism to the presentation of a modernized or post-modernized Jesus, a human Jesus, reduced in various ways to being a simple man of His time and deprived of His divinity; or perhaps a Jesus so idealized as to appear as a character of legend."

      Yet, Pope Benedict said, "only the Child lying in the manger possesses the real secret of life. For this reason He asks for acceptance, for space to be made for Him among us, in our hearts, in our houses, in our cities and in our societies," In this "we are helped by the simplicity of the shepherds and the quest of the Magi, who through the star scrutinized the signs of God, [and by] the docility of Mary and the prudent wisdom of Joseph."

      "At the beginning of this new year, let us reawaken our commitment to open our minds and hearts to Christ, sincerely demonstrating to Him our will to live as His true friends. Thus will we become collaborators in His plan of salvation and witnesses of the joy He brings, that we may spread it abundantly about us. ... Let us accompany Jesus, walk with Him, and thus the new year will be happy and good."

      VATICAN CITY, JAN 3, 2007 (VIS) - The Holy Father:

      - Appointed Fr. Angelo Pignoli of the clergy of the diocese of Franca, Brazil, diocesan coordinator of pastoral care and pastor of the parish of "Sant'Ana," as bishop of Quixada (area 15,134, population 294,125, Catholics 263,900, priests 40, religious 98), Brazil. The bishop-elect was born in Cappella Picenardi, Italy in 1946 and ordained a priest in 1976. He succeeds Bishop Adelio Giuseppe Tomasin P.S.D.P., whose resignation from the pastoral care of the same diocese, the Holy Father accepted, upon having reached the age limit.

      - Appointed Fr. Joao Bosco Barbosa de Sousa O.F.M., pastor of the parish of "Sao Francisco de Assis," in the archdiocese of Sao Paulo, Brazil, as bishop of Uniao da Vitoria (area 10,000, population 286,000, Catholics 246,000, priests 39, permanent deacons 12, religious 72), Brazil. The bishop-elect was born in Guaratingueta, Brazil in 1952 and ordained a priest in 1978. He succeeds Bishop Walter Michael Ebejer O.P., whose resignation from the pastoral care of the same diocese, the Holy Father accepted, upon having reached the age limit.

      - Appointed Fr. Messias dos Reis Silveira of the clergy of the diocese of Guaxupe, Brazil, pastor of the diocesan cathedral "Nossa Senhora das Dores," as bishop of Uruacu (area 43,''', population 354,000, Catholics 302,000, priests 38, religious 36), Brazil. The bishop-elect was born in Passos, Brazil in 1958 and ordained a priest in 1992. He succeeds Bishop Jose da Silva Chaves, whose resignation from the pastoral care of the same diocese, the Holy Father accepted, upon having reached the age limit.

      - Appointed Bishop Rene-Marie Ehuzu C.I.M., of Abomey, Benin, as bishop of Porto Novo (area 4,545, population 1,180,015, Catholics 376,050, priests 61, religious 109), Benin.

      - Appointed as members of the Congregation for Bishops, Archbishops Giovanni Marra, emeritus of Messina-Lipari-Santa Lucia del Mela, Italy, and Giorgio Zur, apostolic nuncio.

      THURSDAY : Memorial of Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton, religious

      In today’s Gospel we hear of two disciples who immediately followed Jesus from the very beginning of His public ministry.

      The very first response Jesus gives to those who choose to follow Him is the question :

      “What are you looking for?”

      Jesus did not ask “Who are you looking for?” since He already knew they were looking for the promised Messiah.

      Jesus asks them about what they are looking for to engage them in a conversation so they will reveal their thoughts about what they expect, about what they think the Messiah is, and what they believe he can do.

      Jesus continues to ask this very same question to every human person who wishes to follow Him.

      Are you following me because you think you will get what you want out of life, or that you will have special privileges, or that only good things and material happiness will be the outcome of your life?

      Jesus asks us what we are looking for since His wish is that we seek Him for Himself.

      He wants us to desire Him more than anything or anyone.

      He desires that we learn His ways, His mentality, His will, His Gospel, His teaching, His personality and character so that He lives and reigns supreme in our minds and hearts as our model in life.

      Many follow Jesus who end up following a false Jesus invented in their imaginations who serves their wish fulfillment and usually winds up resembling themselves rather than the real Jesus who lives eternally.

      Jesus asks us what we are looking for so that we will open up our minds and hearts to Him and allow Him to inform us, nurture us, enlighten us and empower us with the right vision, the wisdom, knowledge, power and strength we will need to serve Him successfully in this life.

      Take some time today to dialogue with Jesus and tell Him that you are only looking for Him to come into your life, to come into your soul and live and reign as king of your mind, heart and will.

      Mary, Queen of all hearts, grant us the grace to have Jesus live and reign within us.

      PART III: SACRAMENTA SCRIPTURARUM

      CHAPTER TWO : Transformation in Discovery (pages 65-70)

      Fr. Merton discusses the nature of the language of scripture is to motivate us to make heroic efforts seeking God.

      "And yet the very unfamiliarity of Scriptural language, says St. Augustine, has its purpose. [41] The language of revelation is mysterious not in order that its meaning may be concealed from us, but in order that we may be moved to seek it with a more fervent love. For God only reveals His secrets to those who love Him and who seek to know Him in order to love Him better.' (page 66)

      Scripture is the Word of God calling us into deeper dialogue, calling us to sacrifice something we want in order to find the truth -- so that we will want the truth more than that which we sacrificed. The Sacred Scriptures is a living web that entangles forcing us -- if we allow the words to touch our hearts -- to unravel and unfold its meaning through our heroic and valiant efforts of very hard work, deep personal sacrifice, radical change of life and lifestyle to find the truth and authentic meaning, that, when revealed to our minds and hearts confirms the fact that only God, loving Him and serving Him satisfies our souls.

      Note [41] Enarratio in Psalmum, 93, ParagraphI. Patrologicia Latina, Volume 37, Column 1189.

      Thomas Merton, Bread in the Wilderness (London : Hollis & Carter,
      Doubleday, 1954)

      AUDIO RECORDINGS OF THE DIVINE OFFICE: recited by the Monks of
      Adoration:

      rectangular button that reads SEARCH ARCHIVE, and then click that button.