    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 4, 2006

      TUESDAY 5 DECEMBER 2006

      . EDUCATION, A TASK FOR PARENTS, TEACHERS AND PASTORS
      . IN MEMORIAM

      EDUCATION, A TASK FOR PARENTS, TEACHERS AND PASTORS

      VATICAN CITY, DEC 5, 2006 (VIS) - Cardinal Secretary of State Tarcisio Bertone S.D.B. sent a message to Luciano Corradini, national president of the Italian Catholic Union of Middle School Teachers (UCIIM), and to participants in that association's 22nd national congress. The congress was held in Rome recently on the theme: "Education in schools. New scenarios, new responsibilities."

      In his message, the cardinal gives assurances of Benedict XVI's appreciation for the activities of the UCIIM which, he recalls, was founded by Gesualdo Nosengo in 1944 and "works actively in schools, promoting initiatives for the cultural and didactic aggiornamento of teachers, showing particular concern for their religious and spiritual growth, and supporting all initiatives that effectively seek to promote the education of youth. [The Pope] encourages you to continue along this path, facing the challenges of the modern age with farsighted courage."

      Cardinal Bertone continues: "The formation of new generations, as never before in history, calls for much shared reflection, and for the preparation of educational and pastoral strategies aimed at meeting the expectations of the world of youth in the third millennium. It is necessary to transmit to young people an appreciation of the positive value of life, arousing in them the desire to spend their own lives in the service of Good. And this requires a responsible contribution on everyone's part: teachers, parents, pastors and all people who truly have the future of humanity at heart."

      VATICAN CITY, DEC 5, 2006 (VIS) - The Holy Father appointed:

      - Fr. Alberto Serrano I.E.M.E., diocesan administrator and former vicar general of the diocese of Hwange, Zimbabwe, as bishop of the same diocese (area 43,427, population 345,265, Catholics 41,118, priests 34, religious 58). The bishop-elect was born in Zaragoza, Spain in 1942 and ordained a priest in 1966.

      - Bishop Sergio Alfredo Fenoy, auxiliary of Rosario, Argentina, as bishop of San Miguel (area 206, population 845,000, Catholics 810,000, priests 95, permanent deacons 7, religious 335), Argentina.

      - Msgr. Hugo Santiago, episcopal vicar of Rafaela, Argentina, and pastor of San Guillermo, as bishop of Santo Tome (area 29,011, population 152,700, Catholics 137,800, priests 18, religious 32), Argentina. The bishop-elect was born in Maria Juana, Argentina in 1954 and ordained a priest in 1985.

      - As consultors of the Extraordinary Section of the Administration of the Patrimony of the Apostolic See: Carlo Gilardi, Italy; Peter D. Sutherland, Ireland; and Robert J, McCann, U.S.A.

      * * *

      IN MEMORIAM

      VATICAN CITY, DEC 5, 2006 (VIS) - The following prelates died in recent weeks:

      - Bishop Joseph D'Silva of Bellary, India, on November 17, at the age of 74.

      - Bishop Paul Vincent Dudley, emeritus of Sioux Falls, U.S.A., on November 20, at the age of 79.

      - Archbishop-bishop Michel Hakim B.S., emeritus of Saint-Sauveur de Montreal of the Greek-Melkites, Canada, on November 22, at the age of 85.

      - Archbishop Jean Mansour, auxiliary emeritus of Antioch of the Greek-Melkites, Syria, on November 17, at the age of 78.

      - Archbishop Santiago Martinez Acebes, emeritus of Burgos, Spain, on November 25, at the age of 80.

      - Bishop Manuel D. Moreno, emeritus of Tucson, U.S.A., on November 17, at the age of 75.

      - Bishop Augusto Jose Zini Filho of Limeira, Brazil, on November 15, at the age of 73.

      Wednesday of the First Week of Advent

      My heart is moved with pity.

      We should often think and reflect on these words of Jesus.

      It is comforting to know that our Lord is touched in his heart with pity for us.

      He has compassion and great love for every single human person.

      He is always sensitive to our needs and reaches out to each and everyone.

      He was sensitive to the needs of the crowd who were hungry for food.

      They had followed him for three days and must have been very hungry.

      The Gospel of Matthew reads : My heart is moved with pity for the crowd, for they have been with me now for three days and have nothing to eat.

      Jesus feels the same way towards you and me.

      He has compassion and sensitivity towards us.

      He knows all of our needs, worries and cares.

      Like a father caring for his children so too is our Lord loving us.

      Our hearts are moved with pity when we reflect on our Lord’s great sacrifice during his Passion and Crucifixion.

      All we can give Him is our love, gratitude, contrition for our sins, resolutions to reform and do good works for His honor and glory.

      This Advent gaze upon the child Jesus and thank Him for being born in the flesh so that He could save us by His Cross.

      From His Cross Jesus looks at us and says : My heart is moved with pity.

      Devoutly we look at Him with tears of sorrow for our sins and say to Him : My heart is moved with pity too.

      It is this merciful heart that God wishes to grow deep within each person.

      Peace in the world can only be achieved when each person has a compassionate heart for their neighbor.

      May the child Jesus bring this gift of a heart filled with the milk of human kindness to each and everyone and establish peace in the world before His return.

      PART II: POETRY, SYMBOLISM AND TYPOLOGY

      CHAPTER ONE : Poetry, Symbolism and Typology (pages 45-60)

      Fr. Merton explains that the signs of nature that once conveyed the glory of God became obscured and corrupted in the ancient pagan world.

      Signs of nature became filled with fear and hidden powers and fearsome mystery. Superstitious mystery cults had these notions and the dark secret powers could only be controlled through the magic spells of the secret cults.

      The cosmic symbols of nature took on hostile demonic form in pagan antiquity.

      "Thus the beautiful living things which were all about us on this earth and which were the windows of heaven to every man, became infected with original sin." (page 55)

      Thomas Merton, Bread in the Wilderness (London : Hollis & Carter,
      Doubleday, 1954)

      AUDIO RECORDINGS OF THE DIVINE OFFICE: recited by the Monks of
      Adoration:

      rectangular button that reads SEARCH ARCHIVE, and then click that button.