    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 26, 2006

      WEDNESDAY 27 SEPTEMBER 2006

      * * *

      WEAR THE BROWN SCAPULAR OF OUR LADY OF MOUNT CARMEL AND PRAY THE
      ROSARY DAILY
      FOR THE CONVERSION OF THE WHOLE WORLD AND FOR CHURCH UNITY

      . THOMAS: DETERMINATION IN FOLLOWING JESUS
      . TOURISM AS AN OPEN DOOR TO PEACE AND CO-EXISTENCE

      THOMAS: DETERMINATION IN FOLLOWING JESUS

      VATICAN CITY, SEP 27, 2006 (VIS) - Benedict XVI dedicated the catechesis of Wednesday's General Audience to the Apostle Thomas. The audience was celebrated in Saint Peter's Square, with 30,000 persons present.

      The Pope explained that Thomas's personality is characterized by "his determination in following the Master" and gave as an example the Apostle's exhortation to his companions to accompany Jesus to Jerusalem, even knowing the dangers involved. This determination "reveals total availability in adhering to Jesus, to the point of identifying one's fate with His (...) Christian life is defined as a life with Jesus Christ, a life to be lived with Him".

      Thomas also intervenes in the Last Supper when he asks Christ which is the way, because they do not know it, and Jesus responds "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life". The Holy Father said, "Every time we hear or read these words, we feel that our thoughts side with Thomas and imagine that the Lord speaks to us as He did to him. At the same time, the question also confers us the right, so to speak, to ask Jesus for explanations. This way we express the shallowness of our ability to understand, at the same time we set ourselves in an attitude of trust, like those who await the light and strength from the one able to give this to us".

      The most well-known scene is the one when Thomas is doubtful, when the Apostle says to the Risen Jesus that he cannot recognize Him until he places his hand in the wound in His side. "In the end, these words demonstrate the conviction that by now Christ is recognized not as much by His face but by His wounds. Thomas believes that the qualifying signs of Jesus are above all, now, the wounds, which reveal to what point He loved us. As to this, the Apostle is correct".

      Benedict XVI said: "The case of the Apostle Thomas is important for us for at least three reasons: first, because it comforts our insecurities; second, because it shows us that each doubt can achieve an enlightened result beyond any incertitude; and, finally, because the words said to him by Jesus remind us of the true meaning of mature faith and encourage us to follow, despite the difficulties, our path in adhering to Him".

      * * *

      TOURISM AS AN OPEN DOOR TO PEACE AND CO-EXISTENCE

      VATICAN CITY, SEP 27, 2006 (VIS) - In concluding this Wednesday's General Audience, celebrated in Saint Peter's Square, the Pope said that today was World Tourism Day, "a very important social phenomenon in today's world". He continued saying he hoped "that tourism would promote dialogue and mutual respect between cultures, more all the time, thus becoming a door open to peace and harmonious co-existence".

      Recalling that today is the liturgical day dedicated to Saint Vincent de Paul, Benedict XVI asked that the "example of charity" of this saint "spur the young people to achieve the future projects in a joyful and uninterested service towards others. May it help you, dear ailing persons, in facing suffering as a special vocation of love, and spur you, dear newlyweds, in creating a family always open to the gift of life and to the poor".

      Thursday of the Twenty-fifth Week in Ordinary Time

      Today’s readings remind us of our destiny for eternal life.

      The Book of Ecclesiastes teaches us that it is vain to attach ourselves to all material things in life since they are passing.

      The soul with wisdom understands that our attachments are to God alone, not things of this world.

      With this holy counsel we are reminded that life is short and our eyes should be fixed on God and eternity rather than possessed by the things of this world.

      In the Gospel St. Luke tells us the story of king Herod and his reactions and responses to the rumor of Jesus going about performing miracles.

      St. Luke tells us that “he was greatly perplexed because some were saying, “John has been raised from the dead”; others were saying, “Elijah has appeared”; still others, “One of the ancient prophets has arisen.”

      St. Luke uses the Greek word dieporei, which means to be completely at a loss, or be in utter perplexity, to describe Herod’s mental state when he heard what people were saying.

      The reason why Herod reacted this way is because he did not believe in spirit, angels, or the resurrection but was a materialist.

      Since he did not believe in spirit and the resurrection he immediately rejected people’s suggestions.

      For Herod, this person could not be anyone raised from the dead.

      “But Herod said, “John I beheaded. Who then is this about whom I hear such things?”

      St. Luke paints a portrait of king Herod as the opposite of today’s reading from Book of Ecclesiastes.

      That ancient wisdom teaches us to treasure the spiritual things and to look forward to the resurrection into eternal life.

      King Herod was the opposite.

      He rejected spirituality and the teaching of the resurrection and eternal life.

      Materialism and vanity are personified in him.

      When we allow ourselves to become materialistic pray to God for the grace not to be like Herod and all those who are deaf and reject the wisdom of the Book of Ecclesiastes.

      Pray for the grace to be detached from all materialism -- and to recollect yourselves during the day to think of God and eternity.

      Practicing this daily will strengthen you in the way of Christ and bring you the spiritual freedom of the children of God.

      PART I: PSALMS AND CONTEMPLATION

      CHAPTER THREE : Meanings in Scripture (pages 20-35)

      Fr. Merton continues to show how St. Peter's speech on Pentecost Sunday explained the veracity of Christ since the prophetic texts of the Old Testament are fulfilled in him.

      The Church Fathers, especially Origen and the School of Alexandria, Egypt, "developed the spiritual interpretation of scripture to a high degree of perfection." (page 27)

      "One of the interesting implications of Origen's distinction between the "letter" and the "spirit" was the fact that the "spiritual sense" laid open its secrets only to those who were advanced, perfect in the spiritual life. It was therefore closely associated with sanctity and with gnosis--contemplation." (page 28)

      This is our same teaching in the Catholic Church today. The Holy See has the authority to interpret scripture.

      The insights of the Word can be obtained through holiness of life and daily lectio divina.

      Thomas Merton, Bread in the Wilderness (London : Hollis & Carter,
      Doubleday, 1954)

      AUDIO RECORDINGS OF THE DIVINE OFFICE: recited by the Monks of
      Adoration:

      as well as
      to promote her cause and to perpetuate her cult by directing prayer groups
      assembled in her honor. It has continuously enjoyed the ecclesiastical
      approval
      of Theodore Cardinal McCarrick, and the Most Reverend John Joseph Myers,
      Archbishop of Newark, New Jersey.

      explanatory
      notice; the promises of the Sacred Heart; the mysteries of the Rosary.

      offer you the crucified Body of Your dearly beloved Son, Jesus Christ, in
      reparation for all the sins committed against you and for the

      clinging to her
      robes while walking down a dusty and busy crowded