    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 21, 2006

      WEDNESDAY 26 JULY 2006

      * * *

      WEAR THE BROWN SCAPULAR OF OUR LADY OF MOUNT CARMEL AND PRAY THE
      ROSARY DAILY
      FOR THE CONVERSION OF THE WHOLE WORLD AND FOR CHURCH UNITY

      . POPE HOPES FOR LASTING SOLUTIONS FROM ROME CONFERENCE
      . ANNIVERSARY OF EPISCOPAL ORDINATION OF CARDINAL ANGELINI
      . ROSARY IN VATICAN GARDENS FOR FEAST OF ST. MARTHA
      . COR UNUM: SPECIAL COLLECTION OF FUNDS FOR LEBANON
      . BENEDICT XVI: A JUST AND LASTING PEACE IN THE MIDDLE EAST
      . TESTIMONY TO GOD'S VICTORY THROUGH NON-VIOLENCE

      POPE HOPES FOR LASTING SOLUTIONS FROM ROME CONFERENCE

      VATICAN CITY, JUL 26, 2006 (VIS) - The Pope yesterday called for prayers for the international conference for Lebanon being held in Rome today, in the hope, he said, that it "may bear fruit and bring concrete results for peace, ... for a solution that goes to the roots of the problem."

      Yesterday evening, returning from an excursion in the Valle d'Aosta region of Italy where he is spending a brief holiday, the Holy Father expressed the hope that "stable and lasting solutions" be found, and he added: "I feel that something is now moving, I see that prayers are not in vain."

      Benedict XVI made his remarks following a visit to the Marian shrine of Notre-Dame de la Guerison, located at the foot of Mont Blanc at an altitude of 1,460 meters, where he called on the faithful to pray for peace. Faced with the worsening situation in the Middle East, the Holy Father had proclaimed Sunday, July 23, as a special day of prayer and penance. On that day, visiting the church of Rhemes Saint Georges, a few kilometers from his holiday villa at Les Combes, the Pope had prayed to the Lord: "Grant us peace; not tomorrow or the day after, grant us peace today!"

      Also yesterday, it was made public that the Holy See has been officially invited to participate as an observer at the Rome international conference for Lebanon. The Holy See delegation will be led by Archbishop Giovanni Lajolo, secretary for Relations with States, who will be accompanied by counsellors Msgr. Franco Coppola and Msgr. Alberto Ortega Martin.

      * * *

      ANNIVERSARY OF EPISCOPAL ORDINATION OF CARDINAL ANGELINI

      VATICAN CITY, JUL 26, 2006 (VIS) - The Holy Father has written a Letter to Cardinal Fiorenzo Angelini for the 50th anniversary, on July 29, of his episcopal ordination, and for his ninetieth birthday. Cardinal Angelini was born in Rome on August 1, 1916 and consecrated a bishop in the Roman church of St. Ignatius in 1956.

      In his Letter, the Pope recalls the cardinal's work in the field of healthcare ministry under various pontiffs: Pius XII, under whom he was delegate for hospitals and nursing homes in Rome; Blessed John XXIII, who appointed him as national ecclesial assistant to Italian Catholic doctors; and John Paul II, who made him a cardinal and, establishing the Pontifical Council for Pastoral Assistance to Health Care Workers, appointed him as president thereof.

      Benedict XVI expresses his gratitude for the "pastoral solicitude" of Cardinal Angelini who recently founded the International Institute of Research into Christ's Countenance, in collaboration with the Congregation of Benedictine Reparatrix Sisters of the Holy Countenance of Our Lord Jesus Christ. The institute promotes healthcare initiatives, social work and educational assistance in Poland, Romania, India and the Democratic Republic of the Congo.

      VATICAN CITY, JUL 26, 2006 (VIS) - The Holy Father:

      - Appointed Msgr. Francisco Caninde Palhano of the clergy of the archdiocese of Natal, Brazil, pastor of the parish "Santo Alfonso Maria de Ligorio," as bishop of Bonfim (area 34,600, population 632,000, Catholics 569,000, priests 24, permanent deacons 1, religious 100), Brazil. The bishop-elect was born in Sao Jose de Mipibu, Brazil in 1949 and ordained a priest in 1975. He succeeds Bishop Jairo Rui Matos da Silva, whose resignation from the pastoral care of the same diocese, the Holy Father accepted, upon having reached the age limit.

      - Appointed Fr. Antonio Carlos Altieri S.D.B., director of the community of priest-students at Rome's Pontifical Salesian University, as bishop of Caraguatatuba (area 1,992, population 264,139, Catholics 163,766, priests 26, permanent deacons 10, religious 69), Brazil. The bishop-elect was born in Sao Paulo, Brazil in 1951 and ordained a priest in 1978.

      - Accepted the resignation from the pastoral care of the diocese of Nazare, Brazil, presented by Bishop Jorge Tobias de Freitas, in accordance with canon 401 para. 2 of the Code of Canon Law.

      VATICAN CITY, JUL 22, 2006 (VIS) - The Holy Father appointed Fr. Sabino Odoki, rector of the major national seminary of philosophy at Alokulum, as auxiliary of the archdiocese of Gulu (area 27,946, population 1,112,044, Catholics 634,292, priests 54, religious 200), Uganda. The bishop-elect was born in Layibi, Uganda in 1957 and ordained a priest in 1983.

      * * *

      ROSARY IN VATICAN GARDENS FOR FEAST OF ST. MARTHA

      VATICAN CITY, JUL 25, 2006 (VIS) - On Saturday, July 29, the Feast of St. Martha, all those wishing to do so may participate in the traditional praying of the Rosary in the Vatican Gardens.

      According to a communique made public today by the Vicariate of Vatican City State, a torchlight procession will wind through the Gardens praying the Rosary, the five Mysteries dedicated to the Blessed Virgin of Czestochowa, of Guadalupe, of Fatima, of Lourdes and of la Guardia. The procession will conclude with the singing of the "Salve Regina" before the image of the Blessed Virgin of Mercy.

      As in earlier years, the communique reads, the cloistered order of Poor Clares, who live in the "Mater Ecclesiae" Convent founded in Vatican City by John Paul II in 1994, will join participants at the end of the Rosary through a Vatican Radio linkup.

      * * *

      COR UNUM: SPECIAL COLLECTION OF FUNDS FOR LEBANON

      VATICAN CITY, JUL 22, 2006 (VIS) - The Pontifical Council "Cor Unum" today published the following communique:

      "Given the persistence of the conflict in the Middle East and of the terrible plight of the peoples involved, the Pontifical Council 'Cor Unum' wishes, in the name of the Holy Father, to demonstrate its closeness to those who are suffering, sending preliminary aid to help shelter the thousands of displaced people.

      "This aid is directed towards a project being promoted by Caritas Lebanon, the Custody of the Holy Land, the AVSI Foundation and other organizations present on the ground, in order to supply materials for welcome centers (mattresses, blankets and sheets), drinking water, food and hygiene kits, and medicines."

      The communique also indicates where to send donations for this special collection of funds:

      Italian Post Office current account number 603035, made out to Pontifical Council Cor Unum, stating the reason: for Lebanon.

      Banca di Roma current account number 101010 - ABI 3002, CAB 5008 (from abroad: SWIFT code: BROMIT) - made out to Pontifical Council Cor Unum, stating the reason: for Lebanon.

      * * *

      BENEDICT XVI: A JUST AND LASTING PEACE IN THE MIDDLE EAST

      VATICAN CITY, JUL 23, 2006 (VIS) - At midday today, before praying the Angelus with thousands of pilgrims and local residents at Les Combes in the Italian region of Valle d'Aosta where he is spending a brief vacation, the Pope renewed the appeal he launched last Thursday for a cease-fire in the Middle East.

      After recalling how, following the worsening of the situation in the Middle East, he had proclaimed this Sunday as a special day of prayer and penance, inviting pastors, faithful and all believers to implore from God the gift of peace, the Holy Father said: "I forcibly renew my appeal to the conflicting parties to begin an immediate cease-fire, to allow the passage of humanitarian aid and, with the support of the international community, to seek ways to begin negotiations.

      "I take this opportunity," he added, "to reiterate the right of the Lebanese to the integrity and sovereignty of their country, of the Israelis to live in peace in their State, and of the Palestinians to have their own free and sovereign homeland."

      The Holy Father expressed his particular closeness to the "defenseless civilian population, unjustly involved in a conflict of which they are only victims: both those in Galilee who are forced to live in shelters, and the great multitudes of Lebanese who, once again, are seeing their country destroyed and have been forced to abandon everything to seek refuge elsewhere.

      "I raise a sorrowful prayer to God that the vast majority of people's aspiration to peace may be realized as soon as possible, through the harmonious commitment of leaders. I also renew my appeal to all charitable organizations to bring those people the concrete _expression of shared solidarity."

      Benedict XVI then recalled that Saturday marked the liturgical memory of St. Mary Magdalene, "the Lord's disciple who occupies a leading role in the Gospels," and that today is the day of St. Bridget of Sweden, "one of the patrons of Europe who lived in Rome and made a pilgrimage to the Holy Land." Let us, he added, "ask her to help humanity today to create great spaces for peace, and especially to obtain from the Lord peace in that Holy Land towards which she had such profound affection and veneration."

      "I entrust humanity entire to the power of divine love," the Pope concluded. "And I invite everyone to pray that the beloved people of the Middle East may be capable of abandoning the path of armed conflict and of building, through the courage of dialogue, a just and lasting peace. Mary, Queen of Peace, pray for us!"

      * * *

      TESTIMONY TO GOD'S VICTORY THROUGH NON-VIOLENCE

      VATICAN CITY, JUL 23, 2006 (VIS) - This afternoon, Benedict XVI travelled to the small church of Rhemes Saint Georges, a few kilometers from Les Combes, the Italian alpine resort where he is spending a brief holiday. There he participated in the day of prayer and penance for peace between Lebanon and Israel.

      The Pope arrived at the church in the company of Bishop Giuseppe Anfossi of Aosta, and greeted the faithful gathered there. Following the liturgy of the Word, the Holy Father referred to "the dramatic situation in the Middle East ... where war persists between Christians, Muslims and Jews." He exclaimed: "Lord, free us from all evil and grant us peace; not tomorrow or the day after, grant us peace today!"

      Benedict XVI highlighted the importance of the Christian perspective as a way "to end violence and overcome evil. ... At this time, in which there is great abuse of the name of God," he added, "we must affirm that the cross wins by love, affirming [also] the countenance of God which triumphs and brings light and reconciliation to the world. ... We need the testimony of God's victory though non-violence."

      "Violence must be answered with love like that of Christ, that reaches unto death," he concluded. "This is God's humble way of winning, not with a stronger empire but with love that endures to the very end. ... Jesus' reconciliation and sacrifice are not in vain. ... There is a network of Eucharistic communion that overcomes cultural differences. ... This is the force for peace in the world."

      Thursday of the Sixteenth Week in Ordinary Time

      Today's Gospel teaches us about the teaching authority of the Church.

      Jesus speaks to the apostles saying:

      “Because knowledge of the mysteries of the Kingdom of heaven has been granted to you, but to them it has not been granted."

      Today we call this body of apostles "The Holy See".

      Collectively the Holy See is infallible in matters of faith and morals.

      This means that a consensus among them on any issue of faith and morals will be what God wants us to know as certainty and for us to adhere to.

      Even among these apostles God had a special plan.

      We all recall the story where Jesus asks the apostles "Who do you say I am?"

      It was only St. Peter who immediately, without hesitation stood firm and said "You are Christ, the Son of the Living God!"

      Jesus said to him, You, are Peter, and upon this rock I shall I shall build my Church, over which the gates of hell shall never prevail.

      So even among the apostles who are granted the special privilege of a special knowledge of the mysteries of the Kingdom of heaven, it is the leader among them, St. Peter called to be the builder.

      The teaching authority of the Church, embodied by the Holy See and headed by St. Peter is intuitively obvious and crystal clear to even the simplest mind.

      Yet we live in a complex Christian world where some of our brothers and sisters do not echoing Isaiah’s prophecy being fulfilled in them, which says:

      You shall indeed hear but not understand,
      you shall indeed look but never see.
      Gross is the heart of this people,
      they will hardly hear with their ears,
      they have closed their eyes,
      lest they see with their eyes
      and hear with their ears
      and understand with their hearts and be converted
      and I heal them.

      Now is the hour for us to beg, to implore God to convert every Christian mind and heart so that we all see, so that we all hear the voice of the one true shepherd who says : My sheep know me and hear my voice!

      PART I: PSALMS AND CONTEMPLATION

      CHAPTER THREE : Meanings in Scripture. (pages 20-35)

      This chapter deals with the Psalms and the spiritual life. Sacred Scriptures and in particularly, the Psalms satisfy what St. Bernard of Clairvaux calls the : anima sitiens Deum "the soul that thirsts for God"

      How this works spiritual satisfaction that nourishes the soul strengthening it morally and empowering it through grace, grace that leads to contemplation is through the diverse and complex tissue of meaning nested within Sacred Scripture. Sacred Scripture has several levels of meaning that must be understood in order for the devout soul to maximize the spiritual nourishment it has to offer.

      In the introduction of this discussion Fr. Merton points out how some of the passages in the Psalms do not appear to satisfy this spiritual thirst but provoke us to want vengence, or name ancient pagan kings that are meaningless to us, and so on.

      There are some passages that contain precepts but that is not the generalnature or character of the Psalms to serve as a theological handbook or manual.

      True, the Psalms counsel us to avoid the wicked and not follow the ways of the morally corrupt, and that sometimes even the just do not prosper while the wicked do.

      But all of these examples so far only involve the literal sense of Sacred Scripture.

      Thomas Merton, Bread in the Wilderness (London : Hollis & Carter,
      Doubleday, 1954)

      AUDIO RECORDINGS OF THE DIVINE OFFICE: recited by the Monks of
      Adoration:

      as well as
      to promote her cause and to perpetuate her cult by directing prayer groups
      assembled in her honor. It has continuously enjoyed the ecclesiastical
      approval
      of Theodore Cardinal McCarrick, and the Most Reverend John Joseph Myers,
      Archbishop of Newark, New Jersey.

      explanatory
      notice; the promises of the Sacred Heart; the mysteries of the Rosary.

      offer you the crucified Body of Your dearly beloved Son, Jesus Christ, in
      reparation for all the sins committed against you and for the

      clinging to her
      robes while walking down a dusty and busy crowded