    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 6, 2006

      THURSDAY 6 JULY 2006

      * * *

      WEAR THE BROWN SCAPULAR OF OUR LADY OF MOUNT CARMEL AND PRAY THE
      ROSARY DAILY
      FOR THE CONVERSION OF THE WHOLE WORLD AND FOR CHURCH UNITY

      . JOHN REVEALS A MYSTERIOUS ACCESS TO GOD
      . MAY HUMANITY EXPERIENCE THE POWER OF CHRIST'S BLOOD

      JOHN REVEALS A MYSTERIOUS ACCESS TO GOD

      VATICAN CITY, JUL 5, 2006 (VIS) - The Apostle John was the subject of Benedict XVI's catechesis during today's general audience, held in St. Peter's Square in the presence of 25,000 people.

      "John was always part of the small group which Jesus took with Him on certain occasions," the Pope explained. Within the Church of Jerusalem, he added, the Apostle "occupied an important position. ... In fact, Paul numbers him among those he called the 'pillars' of that community." Before the Sanhedrin, John affirmed that "'we cannot but speak of what we have seen and heard.' This frankness in confessing his faith is an example ... for us all to be ready to declare decisively our unshakeable adherence to Christ, putting our faith before all calculation or human interest."

      "According to tradition, John is the 'beloved disciple' who rested his head on the Master's chest during the Last Supper; he was at the foot of the Cross together with Jesus' Mother, and was a witness ... to the presence of the Risen One." Various scholars see in him "the prototype of the disciple of Jesus" Who wishes "to make each of us a disciple living in personal friendship with Him. To do this, it is not enough to follow and listen to Him on the outside, it is necessary to live with Him and like Him. This is only possible in the context of a relationship of great familiarity, pervaded by the warmth of complete trust."

      "In the apocryphal Acts of John," the Holy Father went on, "the Apostle is presented ... as one who communicates the faith in meeting 'souls capable of hope and of being saved.' Everything is inspired by the paradoxical intent of making the invisible visible. Indeed, the Oriental Church calls him 'the Theologian,' in other words, one capable of speaking of divine things in accessible terms, revealing a mysterious access to God through adherence to Christ."

      In the East John, who according to tradition lived in Ephesus, "enjoyed and continues to enjoy great veneration; in Byzantine iconography he is often depicted as a very old man in an attitude of intense contemplation, almost as if calling for silence."

      "Without adequate prayer it is not possible to approach the supreme mystery of God and His revelation," said the Pope, and he concluded by quoting the words of the Patriarch Atenagoras: "John is at the origin of our most exalted spirituality. Like him, the 'silent' experience the mysterious exchange of hearts; they invoke the presence of John and their hearts are aflame."

      * * *

      MAY HUMANITY EXPERIENCE THE POWER OF CHRIST'S BLOOD

      VATICAN CITY, JUL 5, 2006 (VIS) - In the greetings he addressed to participants in today's general audience, the Holy Father reminded Polish pilgrims that July is "a month in which we traditionally venerate the Most Precious Blood of Christ."

      He went on: "In the world innocent human blood is continually being spilt. The hearts of men are often full of hate rather than evangelical love, they often contain disdain and arrogance rather than care for mankind,. I ask you to pray that modern humanity may experience the power of the Blood of Christ, spilt on the Cross for our salvation."

      Benedict XVI also greeted participants in a symposium on the defense of creation, shortly to be held in Brazil. "I hope," he said, "that this important initiative, promoted by the Patriarch Bartholomew I of Constantinople, may contribute to promoting an ever greater respect for nature, entrusted by God to the ... responsible hands of man."

      VATICAN CITY, JUL 5, 2006 (VIS) - The Holy Father appointed Fr. Manoel Delson Pedreira da Cruz O.F.M. Cap., definitor general of his order for Latin America, as bishop of Caico (area 9,372, population 266,000, Catholics 253,000, priests 36, permanent deacons 17, religious 76), Brazil. The bishop-elect was born in Biritinga, Brazil in 1954 and ordained a priest in 1980.

      Friday of the Thirteenth Week in Ordinary Time

      The reading from the Book of the Prophet Amos reveals God's plan for salvation and the authentic meaning of life.

      God's plan for salvation is revealed in His promise to make the sun dark at midday.

      This did occur as only St. Luke tells us when Jesus hung on the Cross that the sun eclipsed at midday.

      God had rebuked the lawless and immoral people who were corrupting Israel.

      They were unjust in all their dealings.

      The prophet Amos paints a portrait of a corrupt society where people are cheated and dealt with without social justice and honor.

      The portrait Amos paints for us is like the very social world we live in.

      The similarity of the two worlds is no coincidence because they are the same fallen and corrupt society continous through history until Jesus Christ returns to claim our planet and reign with justice.

      The authentic meaning of life is also revealed since social corruption and sin is based on a distortion and limited vision of what sustains life.

      Materialism blinds the people in the time of Amos and our own day to think that only material food bought in the marketplace can sustain life.

      God reveals that He sustains life.

      Without His Divine Word no human being or angel could possibly continue to live in existence.

      For those who live and die in sin they will eternally seek God's Divine Word to sustain them but shall not!

      Damnation, then, is an eternal death.

      Whereas, salvation is eternal life living in the presence of God and His Eternal Divine Word, our Lord, Jesus Christ, our everlasting daily bread.

      The Church enjoys a prelude to this heavenly life here on this earth, here and now, through the Eucharist.

      Holy Communion with the Eucharistic Christ gives us life of mind, body and soul.

      This truth was known by many mystics in the Church who are reported to not have eaten anything but the Eucharist.

      This, of course, is a special grace that God has given to a select few, and is not intended even for the most holy saint to practice without permission from their confessor.

      God has given us these saints to teach us that He and He alone is the ultimate source of life.

      God created the material world and human life to sustain it, sanctify it and to preserve it eternally allowing everyone the equal opportunity to repent from sin and receive salvation from Jesus Christ.

      Let us meditate today on the reality that the global society of today is the same exact one as in the time of Amos and before him.

      We live in a fallen broken planet that lacks justice and equality.

      No human government or organization can give life and justice.

      Only Jesus Christ and his eternal kingdom can give our world the life and justice it needs.

      Pray for all victims of social injustice.

      CHAPTER XVI (pages 96-102)

      The human condition or state of all life is something modern thinkers often forget. This chapter is Fr. Merton's reminder to us on our harsh reality of life:

      "We have rebelled against him. The spirit of rebellious refusal persists in our heart even when we try to return to him." (page 96)

      "Our "nothingness" is then something more than the contingency of the creature. It is compounded with the dread of the sinner alienated from God and from himself, set in rebellious opposition to the truth of his own contingency and his own malice." (ibid.)

      Our fallen nature leaves us in conflict with God, ourselves and with one another.

      Fr. Merton spends this chapter opening our eyes to the great peril of indifference. Human indifference, or simply not caring about God and our brothers and sisters in this world is an inclination towards evil that makes us selfish, egotistical and filled with pride and arrogance.

      Many proud and arrogant egotists say no, "I do care about other people and God too!" However, egotism even in its mildest form, which we all have shows that indifference to one degree or another plagues everyone and is something to be carefully watched and prayed for healing from.

      Humility, of course is the curative attitude of heart we all need. Being honest about our fallen condition and need to change and improve to be better people, better Christians, and better children of God and neighbors to one another is the right attitude to have and develop.

      Thomas Merton, Contemplative Prayer (Garden City, N.Y. : Image Books,
      Doubleday, 1971)

      AUDIO RECORDINGS OF THE DIVINE OFFICE: recited by the Monks of
      Adoration:

      collect, and publish information on Dolores Immacolata Gili (1892-1985) for an investigation into her cause as a Servant of God, as well as to promote her cause and to perpetuate her cult by directing prayer groups assembled in her honor. It has continuously enjoyed the ecclesiastical approval of Theodore Cardinal McCarrick, and the Most Reverend John Joseph Myers, Archbishop of Newark, New Jersey.

      the tract about the divinity of Jesus Christ; tract about the Truths of the Catholic Religion; scapular of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, with explanatory notice; the promises of the Sacred Heart; the mysteries of the Rosary.

      Sample Newsletter

      <http://www.clairval.com/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/flavigny/lettre.php?language=EN

      offer you the crucified Body of Your dearly beloved Son, Jesus Christ, in reparation for all the sins committed against you and for the

      "during this important time, as the eve of the new millennium approaches unity among all Christians of the various confessions will

      clinging to her robes while walking down a dusty and busy crowded street and you will always be safe."