    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 9, 2006

      MONDAY 19 JUNE 2006

      * * *

      WEAR THE BROWN SCAPULAR OF OUR LADY OF MOUNT CARMEL AND PRAY THE
      ROSARY DAILY
      FOR THE CONVERSION OF THE WHOLE WORLD AND FOR CHURCH UNITY

      T. BREAD AND THE WORD IN ORDER TO TRANSMIT THE LOVE OF GOD
      . OVERCOME CONTRASTS OF GLOBALIZATION
      . EUCHARIST: SOURCE OF LOVE THAT CONQUERS DEATH
      . RESPECT THE RIGHTS OF REFUGEES
      . CARDINAL CAFFARRA TO TAKE POSSESSION OF TITULAR CHURCH

      BREAD AND THE WORD IN ORDER TO TRANSMIT THE LOVE OF GOD

      VATICAN CITY, JUN 17, 2006 (VIS) - At midday today in the Hall of Blessings, the Pope received members of the Association of Sts. Peter and Paul, to whom he expressed his gratitude for their many years of service to Peter's Successor.

      After stressing its "dedicated voluntary service to the Holy See," Benedict XVI recalled how the association is divided into three sections, liturgical charitable and cultural, "reflecting the three complementary aspects of the life and activity of ecclesial communities."

      The Holy Father called on members of the association to ensure that "an intense life of prayer and assiduous participation in the liturgy continue to be your primary commitment, both as individuals and as an association. ... Only if we allow ourselves to be constantly formed by listening to the Word of God, and assiduously nourish ourselves on the Body and Blood of Christ, can we transmit to others the love of God, which is a gift of the Holy Spirit."

      "You seek," he went on, "to be witnesses of this love for the poor in the 'Dono di Maria' shelter," which is near the Vatican and run by the Sisters of Mother Teresa of Calcutta, "and in the pediatric dispensary of 'Santa Marta'," within the Vatican, "as well as through social initiatives promoted in your own parishes. May charity animate all your activities."

      The Pope concluded his address to the group by referring to the need "for adequate cultural formation in order to be able to mature in the faith. Evangelization today requires a responsible knowledge of modern cultural needs and a constant immersion in sound Catholic doctrine."

      * * *

      OVERCOME CONTRASTS OF GLOBALIZATION

      VATICAN CITY, JUN 17, 2006 (VIS) - Late this morning, Holy See Press Office Director Joaquin Navarro-Valls released the following declaration to journalists:

      "This morning, the Holy Father Benedict XVI received in audience Jan Eliasson, president of the 60th Session of the General Assembly of the United Nations and foreign minister of Sweden.

      "The central theme of the discussions was the process of globalization, of which some of the shortcomings - particularly due to the scant recognition of the religious dimension - were highlighted. Without the contribution of religious values, even human rights could lose consistency.

      "Particular emphasis was laid upon the need to overcome contrasts and build bridges so that all aspects of globalization can come together for the common good and the peaceful coexistence of all peoples.

      "Attention was also given to the contribution that the meeting between religions can make towards peace and solidarity among all inhabitants of the planet."

      * * *

      EUCHARIST: SOURCE OF LOVE THAT CONQUERS DEATH

      VATICAN CITY, JUN 18, 2006 (VIS) - At midday today, before praying the Angelus with pilgrims gathered in St. Peter's Square, Benedict XVI recalled that today, "in Italy and in other countries, marks the Solemnity of Corpus Christi."

      Corpus Christi, the Pope explained, "is the solemn public feast of the Eucharist, Sacrament of the Body and Blood of Christ, ... which on this day is shown to everyone, amid the fervor of faith and devotion of the ecclesial community.

      "The Eucharist," he added, "constitutes the 'treasure' of the Church, the precious heritage that her Lord left her. ... But this treasure, which is intended for the baptized, does not limit its field of action to the environment of the Church. The Eucharist is the Lord Jesus Who gives Himself 'for the life of the world.' In all times and places, He wishes to encounter men and women and bring them the life of God."

      "The Eucharist also has a cosmic significance," the Pope went on. "Indeed, the transformation of the bread and wine into the Body and Blood of Christ constitutes the beginning of the divinization of creation itself. For this reason, the Feast of Corpus Christi is particularly characterized by the tradition of carrying the Most Holy Sacrament in procession: a gesture rich in significance.

      "In carrying the Eucharist through the streets and squares," the Holy Father concluded, "we want to immerse the bread of heaven in our daily lives. ... On this feast day, Christians as a community proclaim that the Eucharist represents everything for them, it is their very life, the source of love that conquers death."

      * * *

      RESPECT THE RIGHTS OF REFUGEES

      VATICAN CITY, JUN 18, 2006 (VIS) - After praying the Angelus today, the Pope recalled that Tuesday, June 20, marks World Refugee Day, an initiative promoted by the United Nations.

      World Refugee Day, said the Holy Father, "seeks to draw the attention of the international community to the plight of so many people who are forced, because of grave forms of violence, to flee their own lands."

      "These our brothers and sisters seek refuge in other countries, animated by the hope of returning to their own homeland or, at least, of finding hospitality in the places where they have sought shelter."

      After giving assurances of his "recollection in prayer" and "the constant solicitude of the Holy See," Benedict XVI asked that "the rights of these people always be respected," and encouraged ecclesial communities "to respond to their needs."

      * * *

      CARDINAL CAFFARRA TO TAKE POSSESSION OF TITULAR CHURCH

      VATICAN CITY, JUN 19, 2006 (VIS) - The Office of Liturgical Celebrations of the Supreme Pontiff announced today that at 7 p.m. on Saturday, June 24, Cardinal Carlo Caffarra, archbishop of Bologna, Italy, will take possession of the title of St. John the Baptist of the Florentines in Via Acciaoli 2, Rome.

      VATICAN CITY, JUN 19, 2006 (VIS) - The Holy Father today received in separate audiences:

      - Eight prelates from the Episcopal Conferences of Latvia and of Lithuania, on their "ad limina" visit:

      - Cardinal Janis Pujats, archbishop of Riga, Latvia.

      - Bishop Antons Justs of Jelgava, Latvia.

      - Bishop Vilhelms Lapelis O.P., of Liepaja, Latvia.

      - Bishop Janis Bulis of Rezekne-Aglona, Latvia.

      - Archbishop Sigitas Tamkevicius S.J., of Kaunas, Lithuania, accompanied by Auxiliary Bishop Jonas Ivanauskas.

      - Bishop Eugenijus Bartulis of Siauliai, Lithuania.

      - Bishop Jonas Boruta S.J., of Telsiai, Lithuania.

      - Cardinal Gilberto Agustoni, prefect emeritus of the Supreme Tribunal of the Apostolic Signatura.

      On Sunday, June 18, he received in audience Cardinal Joachim Meisner, archbishop of Cologne, Germany.

      On Saturday, June 17, he received in separate audiences:

      - Cardinal Alfonso Lopez Trujillo, president of the Pontifical Council for the Family.

      - Cardinal Giovanni Battista Re, prefect of the Congregation for Bishops.

      VATICAN CITY, JUN 19, 2006 (VIS) - The Holy Father appointed Bishop Mark Benedict Coleridge, auxiliary of the archdiocese of Melbourne, Australia, as archbishop of Canberra (area 88,000, population 560,000, Catholics 159,000, priests 120, religious 218), Australia. The archbishop-elect was born in Melbourne in 1948, he was ordained a priest in 1974 and consecrated a bishop in 2002. He succeeds Archbishop Francis Patrick Carroll, whose resignation from the pastoral care of the same archdiocese, the Holy Father accepted, upon having reached the age limit.

      On Saturday, June 17, it was made public that the Holy Father:

      - Appointed Bishop Carlos Enrique Garcia Camader, auxiliary of Lima, Peru, as bishop of Lurin (area 185, population 2,753,000, Catholics 2,340,000, priests 67, permanent deacons 3, religious 259), Peru. He succeeds Bishop Jose Ramon Gurruchaga Ezama S.D.B., whose resignation from the pastoral care of the same diocese, the Holy Father accepted, upon having reached the age limit.

      Tuesday of the Eleventh Week in Ordinary Time

      When we hear the decree of God against Ahab we see the mind of Divine Justice.

      God's justice is perfectly balanced.

      The best part of the story is when Ahab hearing his condemnation, humbled himself beofre God.

      This act of repentance brought the tender loving mercy of God.

      This divine revelation teaches us that even when we do evil and sin but regret and repent humbling ourselves before God we win the mercy of God.

      In today's Gospel Jesus teaches this same message but to the full.

      He teaches us to love our enemies, pray for them and to do good to them.

      For if we do not provoke them them to do evil and justify themselves in doing wrong to us then our good deeds and benevolence towards them may spark good in them.

      It is better to be an instrument of God that may bring about peace, good, and positive change than anything else we can do.

      Do not provoke or tempt anyone to evil, but seek only peace and that your good deeds may flourish and bear fruit in others to turn to God and turn away from their path of darkness.

      We live in a world filled with darkness and death.

      Let us serve God by bringing light and life through our witness by doing good.

      To receive mercy you must be merciful to those who have been unjust to you.

      Do not retaliate and return evil for evil.

      That role belongs only to God as the supreme judge to deal out his wrath and justice.

      We do not have that authority to get even with people.

      That mentality violates the very foundation of Christian charity.

      It is for us to receive mercy and to be merciful, lenient, compassionate and understanding to others.

      To be true children of God we must shine in the darkness by the bright light of mercy and kindness.

      Do not be mad or angry with anyone.

      Do not wish evil on anyone.

      Never say "I hope they get what is coming to them."

      Rather say a prayer that God may change them and bring them to salvation.

      Thomas Merton, Contemplative Prayer

      CHAPTER XV (pages 89-95)

      The contemplative life is a turning away from making the self the center of your life and making God its center.

      When we have not relished in anything without glorifying God and using the event as a stepping stone of grace then we have learned the contemplative life.

      To elaborate on this point Fr. Merton cites the 14th century English mystic Walter Hilton's Scale of Perfection, "Open your heart then to the movement of grace and accustom yourself to dwell in thisdarkness, strive to become familiar with it and you will quickly find peace, and the true light of spiritual understanding will flood your soul" (Scale of Perfection, (London, 1953), II, 25, p.209)

      The soul is aware that contemplation is a gift from God and is not developed or merited. God freely gives this as he does all gifts to whomsoever he chooses.

      fr. Merton points out the false mystics in Germany along the Rhine during the 14th century who erroneously held the view that we could induce contemplation through our efforts. This movement was called the Quietist movement where souls attempted to keep themselves relaxed, inert and still without bodily movement or mental thought.

      Fr. Merton sees a danger in those attempting to blank stare as a preliminary to contemplation or as an active exercise in the spiritual life.

      The authentic road to contemplation is in the rich heritage of prayer in ordinary ways of praying, not in psuedo mystical strange paths or ones aligned with non-Christian tradition.

      The emptying of oneself is a lifelong spiritual cultivation by growing humble, merciful, seeking the lowest place in life, and being conscious of our ego's cravings keeping them in check. Emptying oneself by false mysticism keeping blank minds and stares is so obviously false like so many other wrong paths in life.

      St. John of the Cross teaches us plainly "A soul is greatly impeded from reaching this high estate of union with God when it clings to any understanding or feeling or imigination or appearance or will or manner of its own, or to any other act of anything of its own, and cannot detach and strip itself of all these . . . Wherefore upon this road, to enter upon the road is to leave the road; or to express it better, it is to pass on to the goal and to leave one's way and to enter upon that which has no way, which is God. For the soul that attains to this state has no longer any ways or methods, still less is it attached to such things or can it be attached to them . . . although it has within itself all ways, after the way of one who possess nothing yet possess all things." (Ascent of Mount Carmel, ii, 4)

      Clearly we must be capable and ready to abandon any and all preconceptions we have.

      All we have to do is love God with all our souls, with all our hearts, with all our minds, all our strength and will. He will do the rest. Authentic contemplation is the end result of pouring out one's heart in prayer like a burning flame of love.

      John Tauler teaches: "When we have tasted this in the very depth of our soul it makes us sink down and melt away in our nothingness and littleness. The brighter and purer the light shed on us by the greatness of God, the more clearly do we see our littleness and nothingness. In fact this is how we may discern the genuiness of this illumination; for it is the Divine God shining into our very being, not through images, not through our faculties, but in the very depths of our souls; its effect will be to make us sink down more and more deeply into our own nothingness. (Spiritual Conferences, Sermon 52, p.232)

      "An emptiness that is deliberately cultivated, for the sake of fulfilling a personal spiritual ambition, is not empty at all; it is full of itself. (page 94)

      Thomas Merton, Contemplative Prayer (Garden City, N.Y. : Image Books,
      Doubleday, 1971)

      below and
      scroll down until you find the Download Free RealPlayer link

      AUDIO RECORDINGS OF THE DIVINE OFFICE: recited by the Monks of
      Adoration:

      collect, and
      publish information on Dolores Immacolata Gili (1892-1985) for an
      investigation
      into her cause as a Servant of God, as well as to promote her cause and
      toperpetuate her cult by directing prayer groups assembled in her
      honor. It has
      continuously enjoyed the ecclesiastical approval of Theodore Cardinal
      McCarrick,

      of Dolores
      Immacolata "Mama" Gili," or, for more information about the

      the tract
      about the divinity of Jesus Christ; tract about the Truths of the Catholic
      Religion; scapular of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, with explanatory
      notice; the
      promises of the Sacred Heart; the mysteries of the Rosary.

      Sample Newsletter

      <http://www.clairval.com/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/flavigny/lettre.php?language=EN

      offer you the crucified Body of Your dearly beloved Son, Jesus Christ, in
      reparation for all the sins committed against you and for the
      conversion and
      salvation of the whole world."

      clinging to her
      robes while walking down a dusty and busy crowded street and you will
      always be
      safe."