    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 8, 2006

      FRIDAY 9 JUNE 2006

      * * *

      WEAR THE BROWN SCAPULAR OF OUR LADY OF MOUNT CARMEL AND PRAY THE
      ROSARY DAILY
      FOR THE CONVERSION OF THE WHOLE WORLD AND FOR CHURCH UNITY

      . TELEGRAM FOR ITALIAN SOLDIER KILLED IN IRAQ
      . PROMOTING FAMILY IS ESSENTIAL FOR DEVELOPMENT OF SOCIETY
      . PETER, CUSTODIAN OF COMMUNION WITH CHRIST

      TELEGRAM FOR ITALIAN SOLDIER KILLED IN IRAQ

      VATICAN CITY, JUN 9, 2006 (VIS) - Given below is the text of a telegram sent by Cardinal Secretary of State Angelo Sodano, in the name of Benedict XVI, to Archbishop Angelo Bagnasco, military ordinary for Italy, for the death of Corporal Alessandro Pibiri, a member of the Italian contingent in Iraq. Corporal Pibiri was killed in an attack on Monday, June 5. The telegram was read out during the course of his funeral, held this morning in the Roman Basilica of St. Paul Outside-the-Walls.

      "Having learnt the news of the most recent of so many terrorist attacks in Iraq, which caused the death of Corporal Alessandro Pibiri and injured four other members of the Sassari Brigade, the Supreme Pontiff expresses his paternal spiritual closeness to relatives of the victim, to the injured and to the entire nation, which once again weeps a son fallen while generously accomplishing his duty at the service of order, security, justice and the peaceful recovery of the Iraqi people. Giving assurances of his fervent prayers for the young life so barbarously cut down, His Holiness sends those who are mourning the comfort of his apostolic blessing."

      * * *

      PROMOTING FAMILY IS ESSENTIAL FOR DEVELOPMENT OF SOCIETY

      VATICAN CITY, JUN 9, 2006 (VIS) - Cardinal Secretary of State Angelo Sodano sent a message, in the Holy Father's name, to participants in the 36th General Assembly of the Organization of American States (OAS), which closed on June 6 in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic.

      The principle theme of the assembly, the message says, "is the dignity of human beings and the absolute value of human life from conception to natural end." On this subject, the cardinal recalls how the American continent "has a long tradition of respecting life, now threatened by the pressure of opinions contrary to its nature."

      "In the field of protecting human dignity," he writes, "another priority is to favor the conditions that reduce violence in its various forms: terrorism, attacks against innocent civilians, kidnappings, threats and drug trafficking."

      Cardinal Sodano identifies another essential theme associated with that of human dignity: "The promotion of the family based on marriage. Promoting the family is an essential task for the development of society throughout the continent. The family is a place of education, knowledge, and of the basic formation of the future protagonists of social life. For this reason, the principal entity that States must protect and promote is the family."

      "The role played by parents is fundamental," the message continues, "and it cannot be replaced by the State or by any other institution, which are a necessary and very beneficial complement but do not substitute the primordial role of parents, who must also choose the kind of education they want for their children."

      After highlighting that the family "cannot adequately carry out its mission if it does not have the minimum material requirements to do so, the cardinal secretary of State deplored "the persistence, at times aggravated persistence, of poverty, and the growing gap between the richest and the poorest."

      "It is not only a matter of fairer distribution of what is available, but also of improving production conditions and of seeking new ways to develop in peace and harmony for all. In this context. the Church's social doctrine offers a framework for laying the foundations of a society that has at its center man, not money or ideology."

      Cardinal Sodano concludes his message by making a call "to continue down the path of constant dialogue between States," it being one of the OAS's functions "to guarantee such dialogue. The vast majority of inhabitants of the OAS countries are Christians, and Christian roots can make a decisive contribution to the social and political life of American States."

      VATICAN CITY, JUN 9, 2006 (VIS) - The Holy Father today received in separate audiences:

      - Cardinal Francis Arinze, prefect of the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments.

      - Cardinal Walter Kasper, president of the Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity.

      - Archbishop Lluis Martinez Sistach of Barcelona, Spain.

      - Juan Manuel Suarez del Toro Rivero, president of the International Federation of the Red Cross.

      * * *

      PETER, CUSTODIAN OF COMMUNION WITH CHRIST

      VATICAN CITY, JUN 7, 2006 (VIS) - The foundation of the Church upon the rock represented by St. Peter the Apostle, custodian of communion with Christ, provided the theme for Benedict XVI's catechesis during his general audience today, which was held in St. Peter's Square in the presence of more than 50,000 people.

      The Pope began by recalling how the Gospel of St. John, "in recounting the first meeting of Jesus with Simon, brother of Andrew, records a curious event: Jesus 'looked at him and said: so you are Simon, the son of John? You shall be called Cephas (which means Peter)'."

      "This fact takes on particular significance if we consider how, in the Old Testament, a change of name often accompanied a new mission," said the Pope before going on to mention a number of evangelical episodes that highlight "the will of Christ to attribute to Peter a special importance within the Apostolic college," such as when He stayed in Peter's house in Capernaum, or chose his boat on the Lake of Gennesaret.

      "Peter himself," the Holy Father continued, "was aware of his special position: it was often he who would speak, also in the name of the others, asking for explanation of a difficult parable or the exact meaning of a precept. ... Equally decided was the profession of faith which, again in name of the Twelve, he made near Caesarea Philippi. To Jesus Who asks: 'But who do you say that I am?' it is Peter who replies: 'You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.'

      "In response," the Pope added, "Jesus then pronounced the solemn declaration that defined, once and for all, Peter's role in the Church: 'And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my Church. ... I will give you the keys of the kingdom, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."

      Benedict XVI went on: "The three metaphors Jesus uses are themselves very clear: Peter will be the rock foundation upon which the building of the Church rests; he will hold the keys of the kingdom of heaven to open and close to whom he will; and finally, he can bind and loosen in the sense that he can impose or prohibit whatever he considers necessary for the life of the Church. ... This describes ... what would later be qualified with the term 'primacy of jurisdiction'."

      After the resurrection, Peter was the first of the Apostles to witness the appearance of Jesus, and this again marks "the continuity between his primacy among the
      Apostles and the preeminence he would continue to have in the community that came into being following the events of Easter."

      "The fact that a number of the key texts referring to Peter are associated with the Last Supper, during which Christ conferred upon him the ministry of confirming his brethren, shows how the Church, which was born from the Paschal remembrance celebrated in the Eucharist, has, in the ministry entrusted to Peter, one of her constitutive elements."

      "This is primacy for all time. Peter must be the custodian of communion with Christ. He must guide [people] to communion with Christ, and guide in such a way that the net does not break but supports that great universal communion by which together we can be with Christ, Who is Lord of us all. This is his responsibility, guaranteeing communion with Christ, with Christ's charity, and the implementation of that charity in daily life."

      "Let us pray that the primacy of Peter, entrusted to weak human beings, may always be exercised in this original sense that the Lord intended; and that it be ever more recognized in its true significance by the brethren not yet in full communion with us."

      During a brief ceremony held following the general audience, the Pope was granted honorary citizenship of the German town of Altotting.

      VATICAN CITY, JUN 7, 2006 (VIS) - The Holy Father:

      - Appointed Bishop Osvino Jose Both of Novo Hamburgo, Brazil, as archbishop military ordinary for Brazil. The archbishop-elect was born in Tres Arroios, Brazil in 1938, he was ordained a priest in 1967, and consecrated bishop in 1990.

      - Appointed Msgr. Rene Coba Galarza, vicar general of Quito, Ecuador, and Fr. Danilo Echeverria Verdesoto, rector of the major seminary 'Nuestra Senora de la Esperanza' in Ibarra, Ecuador, as auxiliaries of the archdiocese of Quito (area 11,167, population 2,210,750, Catholics 1,989,675, priests 482, permanent deacons 3, religious 2,490). Bishop-elect Coba Galarza was born in Quito in 1957 and ordained a priest in 1982. Bishop-elect Echeverria Verdesoto was born in Quito in 1962 and ordained a priest in 1988.

      - Appointed Fr. Gregorio Paixao Neto O.S.B., director of the school of the "Sao Bento" monastery in the archdiocese of Sao Salvador da Bahia, Brazil, as auxiliary of the same archdiocese (area 6,241, population 3,656,156, Catholics 2,595,256, priests 263, permanent deacons 58, religious 1,042). The bishop-elect was born in Aracaju, Brazil in 1962 and ordained a priest in 1986.

      Monday of the Tenth Week in Ordinary Time

      The Beatitudes are a list of human qualities which our Lord tells us makes us blessed.

      We often read through this list looking for our favorite one, or one that seems to apply to us in a special way.

      If someone close to you has recently died you read blessed are those who mourn with a different perspective.

      The Beatitudes are not meant to be a list of qualities we can choose from, as if there were only one we are capable of emulating.

      It is not a list where you find your favorite one and discard the others thinking -- they are not for me.

      The Beatitudes are a list of quality everyone must cultivate within ourselves.

      We need all of them in order to perfectly imitate Jesus Christ and grow more perfectly into His image and likeness.

      To be truly blessed we must grow with a mature spiritual attitude that acknowledges our imperfections and limitations and yearns to change and improve itself solely on God's grace and sincere human efforts to please God.

      When we approach life with this sort of openess to the infinite realm of possibilities before us with God's grace to enrich us we enter into that mount or plain where Jesus preaches and instructs us to be blessed according to His dispositions of heart.

      Thomas Merton, Contemplative Prayer

      CHAPTER 14 (pages 79-88)

      Fr. Merton discusses the nature of meditation. He tells us it is not purely logical, cognitive and rational where we study God like a scientist studies things with microscope and other precision instruments. Not only can we not isolate God and study Him this way but meditation is not a forum or form of study at all.

      Mediatation is beyong human reasoning, or perhaps,it is better to say it is the highest formof human reasoning that is illuminated by God Himself in what we traditionally call "Faith".

      This form of knowing escapes casual scrutiny and material observation because it is the higher level of truth of all things that is not on the surface but what lies behind all things wrapped up in the will of God.

      To know the mind of God is to know God Himself.

      "And Evagrius says (in the Treatise on Prayer, long attributed to St. Nilus): "Just as the light shows us all, has no need of another light in order to be seen, so God, who shows us all things, has no need of a light in which we may see him, foe he is himself light by essence." (note 51, page 81)

      This faith knowing or seeing the invisible is not an ordinary human faculty but a divine faculty implanted by God within the human person making them truly in His image to see Himself through our spiritual eyes.

      This higher form of knowing can only be knowledge through the heart rather than the brain. It is like a child's knowledge of its mother. The child knows its mother through the heart, not by mere human sentiment, especially not setimentality, but a wholesome, healthy and vibrant knowledge that you rest in the arms and bosom of love itself, that all is good and pure and holy. A knowledge that fills and drenches the soul with security and confidence that it is known and loved by God, and that God surrounds them and lives within them. A knowledge that dispels fears and doubts and stress, and pain. A knowledge that can endure all things through love for the sake of the beloved.

      Meditation is the prayer of the heart rather than mrely the intellect of mind. It usually begins with the intellect but must always arrive at the heart joined to its beloved. The more profound that union of hearts the higher the contemplation.

      Fr. Merton is correct to say that the knowledge of God is beyond our intellect. It surpasses all human understanding of intellect. St. Paul says this and is our source for understanding this best.

      "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus" (Phil. 4:6-7).

      Thomas Merton, Contemplative Prayer (Garden City, N.Y. : Image Books,
      Doubleday, 1971)

      below and
      scroll down until you find the Download Free RealPlayer link

      AUDIO RECORDINGS OF THE DIVINE OFFICE: recited by the Monks of
      Adoration:

      collect, and
      publish information on Dolores Immacolata Gili (1892-1985) for an
      investigation
      into her cause as a Servant of God, as well as to promote her cause and
      toperpetuate her cult by directing prayer groups assembled in her
      honor. It has
      continuously enjoyed the ecclesiastical approval of Theodore Cardinal
      McCarrick,

      of Dolores
      Immacolata "Mama" Gili," or, for more information about the

      the tract
      about the divinity of Jesus Christ; tract about the Truths of the Catholic
      Religion; scapular of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, with explanatory
      notice; the
      promises of the Sacred Heart; the mysteries of the Rosary.

      Sample Newsletter

      <http://www.clairval.com/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/flavigny/lettre.php?language=EN

      offer you the crucified Body of Your dearly beloved Son, Jesus Christ, in
      reparation for all the sins committed against you and for the
      conversion and
      salvation of the whole world."

      clinging to her
      robes while walking down a dusty and busy crowded street and you will
      always be
      safe."