    Message 1 of 1 , May 27 9:06 AM

      THURSDAY 8 JUNE 2006

      * * *

      WEAR THE BROWN SCAPULAR OF OUR LADY OF MOUNT CARMEL AND PRAY THE
      ROSARY DAILY
      FOR THE CONVERSION OF THE WHOLE WORLD AND FOR CHURCH UNITY

      .MASS AND EUCHARISTIC PROCESSION FOR CORPUS CHRISTI
      .AUDIENCES
      .OTHER PONTIFICAL ACTS

      MASS AND EUCHARISTIC PROCESSION FOR CORPUS CHRISTI

      VATICAN CITY, JUN 8, 2006 (VIS) - At 7 p.m. on Thursday, June 15, Solemnity of Corpus Christi, Benedict XVI will celebrate Mass in the square of St. John Lateran, then preside at the Eucharistic procession to the Basilica of St. Mary Major.

      VATICAN CITY, JUN 8, 2006 (VIS) - The Holy Father today received in separate audiences:

      - Norbert Lammert, speaker of the German parliament, the "Bundestag," accompanied by an entourage.

      - Cardinal Fiorenzo Angelini, president emeritus of the Pontifical Council for Health Pastoral Care.

      - Archbishop Francisco Montecillo Padilla, apostolic nuncio to Papua New Guinea and the Solomon Islands, accompanied by members of his family.

      - Maximo Pacheco Gomez, ambassador of Chile, accompanied by his wife, on a farewell visit.

      - Lorenzo Ornaghi, rector of the Sacred Heart Catholic University.

      VATICAN CITY, JUN 8, 2006 (VIS) - The Holy Father:

      - Appointed Bishop Michael Francis Burbidge, auxiliary of Philadelphia, U.S.A., as bishop of Raleigh, (area 82,524, population 4,073,983, Catholics 188,101, priests 138, permanent deacons 37, religious 118), U.S.A. He succeeds Bishop Francis Joseph Gossman, whose resignation from the pastoral care of the same diocese, the Holy Father accepted, upon having reached the age limit.

      - Appointed Msgr. Daniel E. Thomas of the clergy of the archdiocese of Philadelphia, U.S.A., pastor of the parish of Our Lady of the Assumption, as auxiliary of the same archdiocese (area 5,652, population 3,875,021, Catholics 1,479,895, priests 1,048, permanent deacons 224, religious 3,733). The bishop-elect was born in Philadelphia in 1959 and ordained a priest in 1985.

      In St. Paul's Second Letter to Timothy he instructs us to remind people that God is faithful and our Savior.

      The Church then as now was plagued by divisions.

      Protestantism is nothing new and did not first appear in the sixteenth century, but rather, was something that grew up around the Catholic Church like a briar or thorn bush from the time of the apostles.

      Arguments about words that form the basic teaching of Christ and give us the theology of the Church were being disputed by those who strayed from the teaching authority of the apostles and gave different views and meanings than what the Church taught.

      Disputing over words really means to argue against the teaching of Christ as handed down by the teaching authority of the apostles.

      Factions emerged throughout the Church during the reign of St. Paul and so he wrote an encyclical letter to Timothy, Bishop, to encourage him how to deal with the disputes and factions in his diocese.

      St. Paul tells him:

      Remind people of these things
      and charge them before God to stop disputing about words.
      This serves no useful purpose since it harms those who listen.
      Be eager to present yourself as acceptable to God,
      a workman who causes no disgrace,
      imparting the word of truth without deviation.

      St. Paul counsels Timothy to be sure he presents himself as acceptable to God, meaning that he be holy and an impeccable witness so that his words will have authority.

      Holiness is the criteria of life that is they key characteristic of authentic leaders of the Church capable of giving authentic teaching from Christ and the apostles.

      We find ourselves throughout our lifetime talking with Protestants who differ from the Church's teaching.

      Do not argue over words.

      Keep the Catholic faith and bear testimony to the authentic teaching of Christ and the divine power He has given to His Church to sustain unblemished the teaching authority of the apostles in the Holy See.

      Bear witness by umblemished lives, keeping faithful to Christ and growing in holiness, so that you too, like St. Timothy may boldly bear witness through holy living anf holy words.

      Thomas Merton, Contemplative Prayer

      CHAPTER XIII

      Perhaps the best metaphor Fr. Merton offers in this chapter to better understand the knowledge of God in the mystical way of our spiritual pilgrimage is the citationof the Prophet Hosea.

      "In the Prophecy of Hosea the Lord says that he willlead Israel into the wilderness and into the dry places in the valley of Achor, in order to speak to her heart and espouse her to him in faith. This promise follows upon the threat that Israel will be stripped of all her splendor and of the luxury which she has enjoyed in the superstitious cult of false gods." (page 76)

      The mystical analogy is that we too must be stripped of our worldliness in order to hear God's voice and understand Him.

      Being brought into the wilderness is the theatre of nature filled with life but without any of society's artifical structures, cultures, traditions or laws.

      We must become one with nature and find our place of harmony within God's design.

      Then, after we have accomplished this to God's satisfaction He leads us into the arid desert, a place having the appearance of being less teeming with life, fewer distractions, and a greater need to be more perfectly conformed to a profound unity with nature in order to endure and survive.

      Digging deep down within ourselves we find the well spring of eternal life amid the aridity of the harsh scorching desert.

      Thomas Merton, Contemplative Prayer (Garden City, N.Y. : Image Books,
      Doubleday, 1971)

      below and
      scroll down until you find the Download Free RealPlayer link

      AUDIO RECORDINGS OF THE DIVINE OFFICE: recited by the Monks of
      Adoration:

      collect, and
      publish information on Dolores Immacolata Gili (1892-1985) for an
      investigation
      into her cause as a Servant of God, as well as to promote her cause and
      toperpetuate her cult by directing prayer groups assembled in her
      honor. It has
      continuously enjoyed the ecclesiastical approval of Theodore Cardinal
      McCarrick,

      of Dolores
      Immacolata "Mama" Gili," or, for more information about the

      the tract
      about the divinity of Jesus Christ; tract about the Truths of the Catholic
      Religion; scapular of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, with explanatory
      notice; the
      promises of the Sacred Heart; the mysteries of the Rosary.

      Sample Newsletter

      <http://www.clairval.com/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/flavigny/lettre.php?language=EN

      offer you the crucified Body of Your dearly beloved Son, Jesus Christ, in
      reparation for all the sins committed against you and for the
      conversion and
      salvation of the whole world."

      clinging to her
      robes while walking down a dusty and busy crowded street and you will
      always be
      safe."