    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2006

      TUESDAY 4 APRIL 2006

      . JOHN PAUL II: A STRONG AND AUTHENTIC FAITH
      . HOLY WEEK CELEBRATIONS PRESIDED BY THE POPE

      JOHN PAUL II: A STRONG AND AUTHENTIC FAITH

      VATICAN CITY, APR 4, 2006 (VIS) - In St. Peter's Square yesterday afternoon, Benedict XVI celebrated a Mass to mark the first anniversary of the death of John Paul II.

      Various cardinals concelebrated with the Pope, among them Cardinal Secretary of State Angelo Sodano, Cardinal Camillo Ruini, vicar general for the diocese of Rome, and Cardinal Stanislaw Dziwisz, former secretary to John Paul II and now archbishop of Krakow, Poland.

      The event was attended by thousands of faithful from many different countries, the majority from Poland. In his homily, Benedict XVI reminded them how on April 2 last year the late Pontiff, "to whom God gave so many human and spiritual gifts," died. "Passing through the crucible of apostolic labors and of illness, he appeared ever more as a 'rock' in the faith."

      The Holy Father continued: "Those who had the opportunity of frequenting him personally were able almost to touch that pure and solid faith which, if it impressed his inner circle of collaborators, did not fail to spread its beneficial influence, during his long pontificate, throughout the Church in a crescendo that reached its peak in the final months and days of his life."

      Benedict XVI described his predecessor's "committed, strong and authentic faith, free from fear and compromise," which "touched the hearts of so many people, thanks also to his numerous apostolic pilgrimages all over the world, and especially thanks to that final 'journey' of his agony and death."

      After recalling the motto of John Paul II's pontificate "Totus tuus," the Pope highlighted how the Polish Pope's life was "completely oriented towards Christ through Mary."

      "This evening," he continued, "our thoughts turn with emotion to the moment of the beloved Pontiff's death, but at the same time it is as if our hearts are compelled to look ahead. We hear, resounding in our hearts, his repeated invitations to advance fearlessly down the road of faithfulness to the Gospel in order to be heralds and witnesses of Christ in the third millennium.

      "We remember his incessant exhortations to cooperate generously in creating a more just and united humanity, to be workers for peace and builders of hope."

      The Holy Father concluded by saying: "May our gaze always remain fixed upon Christ, 'the same yesterday and today and forever,' Who firmly guides His Church. ... May the strength of Jesus' Spirit be for everyone, as it was for Pope John Paul II, a source of peace and joy."

      * * *

      HOLY WEEK CELEBRATIONS PRESIDED BY THE POPE

      VATICAN CITY, APR 4, 2006 (VIS) - Given below is the schedule of Holy Week activities to be presided over by Benedict XVI, as made public today by the Office of Liturgical Celebrations of the Supreme Pontiff:

      SUNDAY, April 9: Palm Sunday and Our Lord's Passion. 21st World Youth Day on the theme: "Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path." At 9.30 a.m. in St. Peter's Square, the Holy Father will bless palms and olive branches and, at the end of the procession, will celebrate the Mass of the Lord's Passion.

      THURSDAY, April 13: Holy Thursday. In St. Peter's Basilica at 9.30 a.m., the Holy Father will preside at the concelebration of the Chrism Mass with cardinals, bishops, and diocesan and religious priests present in Rome, as a sign of the close union between the pastor of the Universal Church and his brothers in the priestly ministry. The Easter Triduum of the Lord's Passion and Resurrection will begin in the Basilica of St. John Lateran at 5.30 p.m. with the Mass of Our Lord's Last Supper. The Holy Father will preside at the concelebration of the Mass. After the homily, the rite of the washing of the feet of 12 priests will take place. During this rite, those present will be invited to give alms for the victims of landslides in Maasin, Philippines. The sum collected will be given to the Holy Father at the presentation of the gifts. At the end of the celebration the Blessed Sacrament will be transferred to the chapel of reposition.

      FRIDAY, April 14: Good Friday. The Holy Father will preside at the celebration of the Passion of Our Lord in the Vatican Basilica at 5 p.m. He will lead the Stations of the Cross at the Colosseum at 9.15 p.m. and, in conclusion, will address some words to the faithful and impart his apostolic blessing.

      SATURDAY, April 15: Easter Saturday. The Easter Vigil will begin at 10.00 p.m. in St. Peter's Basilica, when the Pope will bless the new fire in the atrium of the church. After the entrance procession with the Easter candle and the singing of the "Exultet," he will preside at the Liturgy of the Word and the Baptismal and Eucharistic liturgies, which he will concelebrate with the cardinals.

      SUNDAY, April 16. Easter Sunday. At 10.30 a.m., Benedict XVI will celebrate Mass in St. Peter's Square, after which he will impart the "Urbi et Orbi" blessing ("to the city and the world") from the central loggia of the Vatican Basilica.

      VATICAN CITY, APR 4, 2006 (VIS) - The Holy Father appointed Bishop Richard Gerard Lennon, auxiliary of the archdiocese of Boston, U.S.A., as bishop of Cleveland (area 8,842, population 2,853,155, Catholics 802,767, priests 583, permanent deacons 191, religious 1,446), U.S.A. He succeeds Bishop Anthony Michael Pilla, whose resignation from the pastoral care of the same diocese, the Holy Father accepted, in accordance with canon 401 para. 2 of the Code of Canon Law.

      Wednesday of the Fifth Week of Lent

      We have just read about the heroic faith of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego fearlessly defying king Nebuchadnezzar preferring to be thrown into a fiery furnance rather than betray God.

      When the king learned of their rescue he saw four men walking around in the furnace, not three.

      One of the guards said it looked like an angel, the Son of God, who came to rescue them.

      In today’s Gospel we hear Jesus telling the Jews that He can free them from the slavery of sin.

      The words of Jesus: So if the Son frees you, then you will truly be free. – remind us of the angel who looks like a Son of God freeing Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego in the fiery furnace.

      The Evangelists and the Fathers of Church looked in the writings of the Old Testament for passages like this and saw in them parallels to Christ.

      Jesus freed the ancients in the Old Testament because He is the Eternal Word of God the Second Person of the Most Holy Trinity and is co-eternal with the Father and the Holy Spirit.

      Passages like these found in the Old Testament are images of Christ before His Incarnation through the womb of the Blessed Virgin Mary.

      Christ is the eternal Redeemer of all human persons of all ages.

      Christ redeems us from our sins as He tells us in the New Testament, but we must always keep in mind that He too is the redeemer in the Old Testament as well.

      In the reading from the Gospel of St. John, Jesus makes this teaching very clear.

      He tells us He has seen the Father, has stood in His presence, He came from God and was sent from God to us.

      This is very clear that Jesus is the Eternal Word of God the Second Person of the Most Holy Trinity and is co-eternal with the Father and the Holy Spirit.

      So when we read in the Old Testament that an angel freed the three men in the fiery furnace we should understand that only Christ redeems and saves every human person who calls out to God from the eternal fires of hell.

      The main lesson we have learned here today from these readings is the heroic faith of a true believer exemplified in the three men : Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego.

      Do you have the faith and the courage to lay down your life to defend God’s honor and prefer death before sin?

      This is the moral character of the true believer in Christ as we see in both the Old and New Testaments.

      Pray to Christ to empower you with unflinching faith and courage to stand ground defending His honor and grant you the heroic faith to prefer death before sin and dishonor.

      If we cultivate this heroic attitude and character within ourselves all of our thoughts, words and deeds will be filled with the grace of an authentic believer living in fidelity to Christ, His Gospel and His Church.

      Thomas Merton, Contemplative Prayer

      CHAPTER SEVEN : (pages 50-53)

      Fr. Merton points out that in the history of ascetical writing it was Pope St. Gregory the Great who in his famous classical book : Moralia in Job points out the dichotomy and tensions between his desire to live the solitary life of charismatic contemplative prayer and the active life serving God and man through the duty of his office as pope.

      St.Gregory gives us here his definition of the contemplative life:

      The contemplative life is to retain with all one's mindthe love of God and neighbor but to rest from exterior motion and to cleave only to the desire of the Maker,that the mind may now take no pleasure in doing anything, but having spurned all cares may be aglow to see the face of its Creator: so that it already knows how to bear with sorrow the burden of the corruptable flesh, and with all its desires to seek to join the hymn-singing choirs of angels, to mingle with the heavenly citizens and to rejoice at its everlasting incorruption in the sight of God." (28)

      In St. Gregory's praise of contemplation we are confronted with the soul who desires God through contemplative prayer to disdain his physical earthly life and see it as an impediment to his heart and soul's desire.

      Unlike the teaching of St. Basil seen in the previous chapter where prayer is related to and connected to the active life, St. Gregory, rather, holds an altogether opposing view, one might think. However, St. Basil refers to meditation and Gregory to contemplation. These are two spheres of prayer that the former is active and the latter passive.

      The monastic solution is to find the balance of both forms of prayer in their daily life.

      FOOTNOTES

      (28) HOMILIES OF EZECHIEL, II, ii, 7-8. trans. in Dom Cuthbert Butler, Western Mysticism, 2nd edition, 1926, reprint 1951, p. 171

      Thomas Merton, Contemplative Prayer (Garden City, N.Y. : Image Books,
      Doubleday, 1971)

      <http://www.clairval.com/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/flavigny/lettre.php?

      EUCHARISTIC PRAYER IN HONOR OF THE SORROWFUL HEART
      OFMARY