    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1 7:23 AM

      THURSDAY 2 MARCH 2006

      .CHRISTIAN LIFE IS A CEASELESS STRUGGLE AGAINST EVIL
      .AUDIENCES
      .OTHER PONTIFICAL ACTS

      CHRISTIAN LIFE IS A CEASELESS STRUGGLE AGAINST EVIL

      VATICAN CITY, MAR 2, 2006 (VIS) - At 4.30 p.m. yesterday, Ash Wednesday, following a brief moment of prayer in the church of St. Anslem on Rome's Aventine Hill, the traditional penitential procession wound its way to the nearby Basilica of Santa Sabina. There Benedict XVI presided at Mass, pronounced the homily and blessed the ashes that were then imposed on all those who participated in the event.

      "The penitential procession with which we began today's celebration," said the Pope at the beginning of his homily, "helped us to enter into the atmosphere typical of Lent, which is an individual and community pilgrimage of conversion and spiritual renewal."

      The Holy Father went on to explain how Lenten rites, such as the imposition of the ashes and the "stations," or visits to churches containing relics of the martyrs, maintain their significance over the centuries. This is "because they recall the importance, even in our own times, of the uncompromising acceptance of Jesus' words," and help us to understand "that exterior gestures must always be accompanied by sincerity of spirit and coherence of works."

      Benedict XVI identified another "combative" aspect of Lenten spirituality, pointing out that "every day, but especially in Lent, Christians face a battle like the one Jesus faced in the desert." Hence, this liturgical time recalls "that Christian life is a struggle without truce using the 'arms' of prayer, fasting and penance. To fight against evil, against all forms of egoism and hatred, ... is the ascetic journey which all Christ's disciples are called to undertake."

      "Meekly following the divine Master makes Christians witnesses and apostles of peace." Such an attitude "helps us better to identify what the Christian response must be to the violence that threatens peace in the world: certainly not vengeance, not hatred, nor an escape into false forms of spirituality."

      The response of Christ's followers, said the Pope, must be that of "following the road chosen by Him Who, in the face of the evil of His time and of all times, embraced the Cross, following the longer but more effective path of love." This love "must be translated into concrete gestures towards others, especially towards the poor and needy." It constitutes one of the "essential elements of the life of Christians, who are encouraged by Christ to be the light of the world so that men and women, seeing their good works, may render glory to God."

      The Pope concluded his homily by stressing the importance of this suggestion "at the beginning of Lent, so that we may gain an ever clearer understanding that 'for the Church, charity is not a kind of welfare activity. ... but is a part of her nature, an indispensable expression of her very being'."

      VATICAN CITY, MAR 2, 2006 (VIS) - The Holy Father today received in audience the clergy of the diocese of Rome.

      This evening, he is scheduled to receive in audience Cardinal Giovanni Battista Re, prefect of the Congregation for Bishops.

      VATICAN CITY, MAR 2, 2006 (VIS) - The Holy Father gave his assent to the canonical election by the Synod of Bishops of the Greek-Catholic Ukrainian Church, of Fr. Yaroslav Pryriz C.Ss.R., "protosincellus" of the eparchy of Sambir-Drohobych, Ukraine, as auxiliary of the same eparchy (area 6,900, population 609,359, Catholics 403,248, priests 245, religious 35). The bishop-elect was born in Lastivka, Ukraine, in 1963 and ordained a priest in 1988.

      Friday after Ash Wednesday

      I desire mercy and not sacrifice.

      These words spoken by Jesus in the Gospel of St. Matthew 9:13 in the previous passage to today’s reading are echoed in the message heard in the Book of the Prophet Isaiah.

      The disciples of St. John the Baptist did not understand the meaning of this.

      They asked Jesus why he and his disciples did not fast like them or the Pharisees.

      Jesus must have been amazed at their lack of understanding.

      He politely explained to them that nobody mourns during a wedding but rather at a funeral.

      He was referring to his time alive on earth as a wedding feast enjoying God’s union with humanity.

      The mourning characteristic of a funeral is clear enough, he was referring to his own death on the cross.

      What Jesus meant was that after he has gone from this earth all shall mourn him by fasts and prayer.

      The sort of fasts he wants is mercy and not sacrifice.

      As we read the words of Isaiah we see clear into the mind of God.

      God wishes that we be zealous in social justice caring for the poor, and the down trodden showing them compassion, kindness, giving them alms, food, shelter, clothing and loving them as members of our own household and family.

      It is so easy to not eat meat for a day.

      It is not too difficult either to eat one modest meal in a day.

      The fasts and abstinence required by the Church during Lent are more signs and symbols than anything else.

      Do not place all your hopes and prayers into a meatless meal.

      Do not think you are pleasing God by eating only one meal in a day.

      Rather, please God by caring for the poor.

      Give a homeless person something to eat, a blanket, some money, a cup of coffee, a hug, and kind words to let them know you really care and that God loves them with all of His heart.

      Do not think you please God by eating fish or eggs instead of meat, but go on demanding payment from your debtors with high interest.

      Do not think for a single moment that God is pleased with fasts and dieting without meat and you continue cursing and swearing and arguing among the members of you family and friends.

      This was the blindness of the Jews that Isaiah rebuked, and this is the very thing Jesus meant by -- I desire mercy and not sacrifice.

      This too is the message of fasting during mourning after his death.

      The fasting and sacrifices Jesus expects and wants from us is the celebration each day of acts of kindness, acts of mercy done for His sake by caring for the poor and those in desperate need.

      To celebrate the death of the Savior we must become people of hope and mercy.

      Grow in mercy and love each day.

      Today is the First Friday of the month of March dedicated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus, the infinite ocean of mnercy.

      The closing prayer to the Chaplet of the Divine Mercy asks God to increase Your mercy in us.

      With an increase of mercy we look upon others with eyes of love authentically caring for them more than for ourselves.

      With an increase in mercy we forget ourselves and pay attention more to others listening to them and helping them in all their needs.

      With an increase in mercy we live for others and never forget them in our prayers and daily good works.

      With an increase of mercy we are ever mindful of the spiritual needs of others as well as the material needs of basic goods they lack.

      I desire mercy and not sacrifice.

      Grant to us, O Lord, an increase in Your Divine Mercy that we may become Living Flames of Love to Your honor and Glory and to the salvation of all humanity.

      PART THREE: GETTING NEARER

      CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE: Suffering and the Wisdom of God (pages 155-159)

      Dom Hubert van Zeller explains the changes that take place in prayers of petition in the life of the contemplative. Rather than praying for specific things and causes prayer becomes more categorical and universal: for the good of the whole Church, conversion of sinners and souls in purgatory. “To bring a shopping list to prayer makes for nervous tension, and there is nothing so distracting as trying to remember names.” (page 156) “All that is meant here is that prayer should not be equated with simply asking for things, and that an unconditional surrender to the providential will of God is the disposition to be aimed at in the act of prayer.” (ibid.) Besides this resignation to God’s will in all things, prayer must also be praise of God and thanksgiving for every good gift received by you and the whole world.

      Not only should prayer not be divided among a shopping list of people and causes but the same goes for our good works and sufferings. The contemplative looses the piecemeal and fragmenting of petitions towards categorical and universal prayer for all and God’s honor and glory.

      Contemplatives do not make special requests for additional sufferings since God sees to it we are never without. Like Christ the contemplative prays and suffers quietly in patience as a victim soul for their own salvation, the good of others both living and deceased and for the glory and honor of God.
[...]

      Dom Hubert van Zeller, OSB, The Trodden Road. (Boston, MA: Daughters
      of St. Paul,1982) ISBN : 0-8198-7326-8 (cloth); ISBN : 0-8198-7327-6
      (paper)

      <http://www.clairval.com/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/flavigny/lettre.php?

      EUCHARISTIC PRAYER IN HONOR OF THE SORROWFUL HEART
      OFMARY