    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2006

      WEDNESDAY 1 MARCH 2006

      ASH WEDNESDAY, A DAY OF FAST AND ABSTINENCE

      BEGINNING OF LENT 2006

      .FASTING, ALMSGIVING AND PRAYER TO CONFORM US TO CHRIST
      .HOLY FATHER'S PRAYER INTENTIONS FOR MARCH
      .OTHER PONTIFICAL ACTS

      FASTING, ALMSGIVING AND PRAYER TO CONFORM US TO CHRIST

      VATICAN CITY, MAR 1, 2006 (VIS) - During the general audience today, Ash Wednesday, Benedict XVI dedicated his catechesis to the liturgical period of Lent which he described to the faithful gathered in St. Peter's Square as "the itinerary of 40 days that will lead us to the Easter Triduum, memory of the passion, death and resurrection of the Lord, heart of the mystery of salvation."

      The 40 days of Lent, the Holy Father explained, "possess an undeniable evocative power. Indeed, Lent aims to recall some of the events that marked the life and history of ancient Israel," such as "the 40 days of the flood that led to God's covenant with Noah, and the 40 days Moses spent on Mount Sinai, which was followed by the gift of the tablets of the Law."

      He went on: "Above all, the Lenten period invites us to relive with Jesus the 40 days He spent in the desert, praying and fasting before beginning His public mission. Today, we too begin a journey of reflection and prayer with all the Christians of the world. ... Today, all parish communities undertake an austere and symbolic gesture: the imposition of the ashes." Two "evocative formulae" accompany this rite, the Pope said:

      "You are dust, and to dust you shall return," words that "evoke the human condition," and, "repent, and believe in the Gospel," an "invitation to place the firm and faithful adhesion to the Gospel at the foundation of individual and community renewal."

      "The Lenten journey, by bringing us closer to God, enables us to look upon our brothers and sisters and their needs with new eyes. For this reason, Lent is a favorable moment to convert to love; a love capable of adopting the Lord's attitude of compassion and mercy, as I seek to recall in my Message for Lent, which has as its theme the Gospel passage: 'Jesus, at the sight of the crowds, was moved with pity'."

      The Holy Father concluded: "Aware of her mission in the world, the Church does not cease to proclaim the merciful love of Christ, Who continues to turn His compassionate gaze on the men and peoples of all times. ... Fasting and almsgiving - which, together with prayer, the Church particularly proposes in the period of Lent - represent a good opportunity to conform ourselves to that 'gaze'."

      * * *

      HOLY FATHER'S PRAYER INTENTIONS FOR MARCH

      VATICAN CITY, MAR 1, 2006 (VIS) - The Holy Father's general prayer intention for March is: "That young people who are searching for the sense of life may be understood, respected and accompanied with patience and love."

      His mission intention is: "That, throughout the Church, there may grow that shared missionary awareness which favors the collaboration and exchange of those who work in the missions."

      VATICAN CITY, MAR 1, 2006 (VIS) - The Holy Father:

      - Accepted the resignation from the pastoral care of the diocese of Atakpame, Togo, presented by Bishop Julien Mawule Kouto, in accordance with canon 401 para. 2 of the Code of Canon Law.

      - Appointed Fr. Denis Brennan of the clergy of the diocese of Ferns, Ireland, pastor of Taghmon and vicar forane, as bishop of the same diocese (area 3,000, population 108,850, Catholics 99,723, priests 137, religious 198). The bishop-elect was born in Springmount, Ireland in 1945 and ordained a priest in 1970.

      - Appointed Fr. Raul Martin of the clergy of the archdiocese of Buenos Aires, pastor of the parish of St. Anthony of Padova in Buenos Aires, as auxiliary of the same archdiocese (area 203, population 2,729,610, Catholics 2,500,000, priests 884, permanent deacons 4, religious 2,366). The bishop-elect was born in Buenos Aires in 1957 and ordained a priest in 1990.

      Thursday after Ash Wednesday

      There was once a young prince who was brilliant in military arts, wise in the ways of science and had great skill on how to rule and govern.

      By the age of nineteen he conquered many nations and by twenty-one ruled the known world.

      He reigned for only nine years having fallen into deep-depression, and ancient records say he had gone mad with despair.

      The legend of Alexander the Great dead at age thirty was well known in antiquity.

      It is this legend of gaining the whole world and profiting nothing by it that Jesus most likely commented: What profit is there for one to gain the whole world yet lose or forfeit himself?

      How many spend their lives accumulating wealth but fail to pray and act charitably towards their neighbors?

      Spending one’s life amassing money and the things they can buy is not what God intended us to do with our lives.

      How many yearn for material things and wish they had wealth?

      It is far nobler to yearn for spiritual things and seek the true riches of the grace of God.

      Spiritual riches endure forever, but material wealth passes away and cannot be taken with you in the next life.

      Do not envy the arrogant and proud people of material wealth.

      Instead look to Christ as your example of life and follow Him.

      Do not be obsessed with worry and concern about your daily needs.

      The providence of God will see to it.

      Rather concern yourselves with developing an intimate relationship with Christ.

      Speak to Him daily as you would your most intimate and loving friend.

      Tell Him about your concerns and worries, about those things that upset you.

      Open up your mind and heart to Him with faith and humility and He will richly bless you.

      God loves each and everyone.

      He wishes that you would remember Him during your day-to-day lives and speak with Him intimately and with confidence.

      Raise your minds and hearts to God and open wide the doors of faith and love for Christ.

      Let Him into your daily lives speaking with Him about every important matter that concerns you.

      Do not allow yourselves to be distracted and forgetful of God by being overwhelmed by the responsibilities given to you, but rather, keep your eyes fixed on Christ and ask Him for the courage, the wisdom and the strength to do those things you must.

      Seek Christ before all things and all things shall be given to you.

      But if you seek all things before Christ you become like Alexander the Great and all the petty princes of this world gaining materiality but losing your soul.

      PART THREE: GETTING NEARER

      CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR: Progress Through Prayer and Suffering (pages 150-154)

      Dom Hubert van Zeller explains what is mistakenly called the mystery of pain and suffering. For the cynic and world that lacks faith -- pain and suffering are tragic and unfortunate mysteries of life regulated by chance and fortune. To the person of faith -- pain and suffering are the means by which God calls us to union with Christ on the cross; a calling to maturity and deeper growth in love with Him.

      The Christian lives in a disbelieving secular world of materialism, hedonism and self-seeking. Global culture reflects these things. The Christian is called by God to be in the world but not adherents of its pagan culture. Rejecting the world and adhering to Christ and His Gospel has repercussions and consequences on our social standing with our neighbor. This is the cost of discipleship. “We have to look beneath the surface of what is presented by a world which is governed by hedonism, materialism and humanism. It means examining everything in the light of Christ’s teaching and taking nothing at face value. It means going against the popular view, and putting up with criticism and ridicule.” (page 150)

      The Christian is called to suffer at least the spurn of the proud and the arrogant non-believer. This is basic to being a Christian. However, pain and suffering does not end here, but rather, is part of the fallen order of a sinful world that includes our own personal sins and sinfulness. It is because of sin and our personal choice to rebel against the laws of love emanating from the Sacred Heart of Christ that we are subject to pain and suffering in this life. “While interior prayer opens the eyes of the soul to truth and reality, suffering emphasizes what is seen. Prayer and suffering, acting together, advance the soul towards God more than any other combined influence.” (ibid.)

      The experience of pain and suffering by the human person brings them to make a choice. “Pain brings basic issues to the fore, and the choice is between declaring the whole of creation meaningless or proclaiming truth.” (page 151)

      This basic choice present to every human person in all conditions of life everywhere is the fundamental challenge to human free will to either accept God or reject Him. “Nothing matters but God’s will, and if he allows these things the soul bows to it. If God has taken even sin into account, the soul must do the same. Who am I to question the permissive will of God? I may find no reason, humanly speaking, to the working of divine providence. But I am not asked to find reason in human terms; I am asked to see reason in faith.” (page 151)

      This is the core and essential principle of pain and suffering in this life: to suffer humbly and obediently in faith adoring God amid suffering and praising Him because whatever we are given to suffer is from His loving hand and merciful and just; realizing that we deserve far worse due to our sins.

      The fundamental choice to accept God means to be mature and responsible people in accepting the consequence too of our own sinful actions. There is no authentic faith and love for God without authentic moral responsibility. Accepting the all-merciful and loving God is easy, but to accept the Almighty and supremely just God frightens the squeamish, timid and weak soul corrupted by their personal history of selfish behavior. God calls each and everyone to grow-up and leave their childish and selfish ways behind and take on the sober adult mind of a mature responsible person.

      Instead of seeing pain and suffering through negative perspective as the unbeliever does, the Christian sees God’s love overshadowing and out shining everything.

      The subject of pain-bearing is the Way of the Cross. Without the cross there is no salvation. When we suffer we are called to union with Christ crucified. Suffering with Him in humility, patience and love for His sake is a efficacious means to spiritual growth and sanctity.

      In the end the authentic Christian who has been tested and tried through pain and suffering knows that joy and wealth of their trial. This is the only gem we ever possess in this world. These valiant souls can say with St. Paul: ‘God forbid that I should glory save in the glory of the cross of our Lord Jesus.’

      Dom Hubert van Zeller, OSB, The Trodden Road. (Boston, MA: Daughters
      of St. Paul,1982) ISBN : 0-8198-7326-8 (cloth); ISBN : 0-8198-7327-6
      (paper)

      <http://www.clairval.com/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/flavigny/lettre.php?

      EUCHARISTIC PRAYER IN HONOR OF THE SORROWFUL HEART
      OFMARY